Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

wanted to make a post about this concept because i see similar comments on a LOT of the comics in thread, but i couldn't really get out what was in my head today. maybe it's the constant rain, maybe im hungry, maybe i'll post about it some other time, maybe someone else will kick it off if they get the same feeling and i'll just add to the discussion if it takes off.

Oh, just saw this. I think there is something to it. In a lot of stories, the mains aren't allowed to be as interesting as the side characters because the writer wants them to be likable and relateable. I don't have an opinion on if your mains being someone the viewer can project onto is bad- it can be done well or poorly- but I do think a pitfall is that it can make them feel blander than the rest of the cast.

Another, potentially related thing is making sure your mains are heroic can tend to shuffle them into a role where they are very familiar. A poor Superman writer will write a Superman where we always know what he's going to do or how he'll react to conflict, but a secondary guest hero or villain might do something more interesting because they don't have to be The Lead Hero of the Superhero Story, if that makes sense?

A third thing is sometimes a side character has a conflict or hook that makes them interesting, but it wouldn't make sense for the story to spend a huge chunk of it's time with them. Cassidy, I think, and also Mark, are examples in Sleepless Domain. Mark's outsider status would radically change the story if the writer made him a major PoV character, altering the reader's experience of the city and potentially defusing mysteries about the setting. Whereas Cassidy had to go to serve a narrative purpose, the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long, etc etc.

The last one is, the mains may begin to feel predicatble because we, the audience, know them better than the other characters. Ancillary characters thus become more interesting out of unfamiliarity and novelty.

This is all just like, my feelings based on very little else, no like literary theory or anything, so I might be talking out of my rear end. I do enjoy thinking about narratives and stories and what makes them tick, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's fun to draw the human form posing and contorting.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

one other thing is i think comic creators are more likely to take big risks with side characters because by their nature they kinda flow in and out of the spotlight. sometimes characters might be unexpected hits with the audience when the author only planned for them to show up once or twice but end up giving them additional parts due to fan engagement.

Yeah and I imagine it's a lot easier to try something weird and novel if you know you aren't commiting to having it around for the whole story.

In terms of Sleepless Domain specifically, I think it's really picking up now that Tessa/Goops is getting more focus because Undine and HP are fairly typical reactive heroines, whereas Tessa/Goops is making things happen quite aggressively. If the comic was all published at once, it'd probably work out to a pretty good push and pull in terms of pacing, but the nemesis of the longform webcomic is being released page by page over years. You gotta commit to writing for the archive or writing moment to moment, and there is no perfect solution.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Snake Maze posted:

DEMON EATER

All I can think of is the game Spore

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I tend to say writer when I'm talking about the narrative and artist when I'm talking about the art. Some people use 'creator', I guess.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I love that not only is it a robot clone of Yuuyake, she's given it angry eyebrows. A neat little touch on Yuuyake's very serious personality and her more dramatic one-- it feels natural that Hazakura would have this larger than life mental image of her mannerisms.

Also, it's pretty funny.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm always confused by reading Joey's Special Experience slept through the ending panels, but today I am the most confused

Joey is engaged to Esidisi and Wammu, but his blonde friend wants to marry him. Even though he's not as great as a small footballer. Very simple, really.

In all seriousness, it's wild how these always manage to kind of accurately convey both what happened in the un'translated' scenes and the tone of Jojo.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

And a quick lil bonus panel, the actual translation of one of Joseph's panels because I like it so much

Its amazing how I can hear him yelling "OOOH NOOO" in my head just looking at this panel.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
God, I love White Chain.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Ditocoaf posted:

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #4: "D.A.R.E to Resist Ninja Drugs and Ninja Violence"

It's delightful to be pulled back into Dr. McNinja after all these years and find it's still very funny.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It turns out the secret to absurdist humor is to be as good at humor as you are at the absurd.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Jun 3, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tunicate posted:

Basically I liked "the most radical man in the radical land" as a fun phrase early on. And less so when there was an actual physical radical land

I thought it went on too long but i liked the post apocalyptic dino future so who can say if its good or bad

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Giant Ethicist posted:

Extremely obscure, yeah. Q-Rais is basically a "pretty successful webcomics artist" (he's got like 300,000 followers on Twitter) but I haven't really met anyone who wasn't already keyed in to the Twitter and Instagram comics world who really knew who he was. Even then, the pink rabbit and the sad bear are what he's known for.

He's popular enough it I remember it being a moderate deal that he illustrated a Pokemon card, though.

Edit: https://twitter.com/PokeGuardian/status/1170020196196724737

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Jun 13, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'd love to see more Qrais pokemon : )

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
See White Chain break out into a big smile melted my heart. Has she even been able to smile like that before?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Love Dr McNinja's banter with his Dad, it's my favorite part of this story on re-read.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I respect and enjoy the slice of life fantasy story of Shinozaki, but drat I kinda want a comic focused on the repository rebellion now.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
At what point do you decide you have too many large invisible birds?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think everyone should be nicer to the horrifying worm god tbh

So I'm on her side here

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
All you had to do was say one nice thing to the worm lady!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Giant Ethicist posted:

TBH I don't feel equipped to comment on that, but it also feels like it'd be odd to just ignore it and post my comic. Anyway, here's Monya the Grey chapter 7:

Someone pointed out once that poor Tonda actually wasn’t too far off (in terms of general shape outline) with his guess of a star for the Zener card test.

Rereading Monya and experiencing all the foreshadowing is always something.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Something I like about Monya is that on reread it's packed with hints about what is coming, and the buildup of the darker tone is clearly happening all along.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Helldumping is when you remember things, it is known.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Monya sticks the landing, imo, when the comic ends.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fritz posted:

The Monya tone shift works a lot better on a re-read when you can spot the (limited) foreshadowing.

My favorite is the brief foray into the kingdom without color- just a brief dip into a much more melancholy tone, almost like a warmup.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Emzedoh posted:

I don't remember if I commented on this earlier, but I too spontaneously generate stubble when I get caught for something. Not the warts though, that's weird.

Surprise Monya! I something I meant to mention earlier and I'm pretty certain I didn't is that I liked it when the Good Witch showed us her war face.

I love that the Good Witch in Monya is so totally inhuman.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, she's ultimately doing everything for the greater good, and you can't call her evil, sadistic, or malicious. But her perspective is just so divorced from a human one that she can sometimes come off as a monster. It makes her feel very alien, which I like in my powerful supernatural beings!

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Jul 16, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I really hope someday I can buy a physical collection of translated Q-rais comics.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I was starting to be on team 'this fight is dragging' until the dick punch. I'm back on board now.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Man now I miss corn soup. It's good!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Fagtastic posted:

So we get results like this:

(from the same paper)

I can't remember what these charts are actually called and my brain always helpfully supplies 'vulva graph'

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tenebrais posted:

Violin graphs, iirc. Which really feels like trying to find the first other suitable word when your brain is screaming vulva.

Lol, it really does.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kit Walker posted:

See, I interpreted them as judging him for taking this path in the first place. Like, his family died as a result of brutal violence and conquest and his answer was to become a universal lord of violence and conquest. How many people have had their own families destroyed in Solomon's wake? And then in the end he's been reduced to using all his power "as you would an especially sharp rock." It is pretty pathetic

I guess it depends on how self aware you read him as, in this moment. I could go either way. Or maybe a mix of both, I love when people's feelings are confused and contradictory.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
For a guy who abandons all his comics that aren't big enough hits, Qrais still manages to be endearingly weird. You'd think the need to be successful/appealing would sand the edges off, but I'm glad it hasn't.

edit: I hope this doesn't come off as a dig, I like Qrais a lot and I think he's creative and funny.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Giant Ethicist posted:

To be fair, I am curating a bit. About 90% of is output is the "surreal cute animals stuff that sells well," like this:

"Dumb mouse" here is one of his most popular ongoing strips.

Hey I'm just glad he has time and energy for the weird stuff. I love the hotel comic in the BSS thread too.
Also, I eat up his orange cat comics so I'm not too good for the commercial stuff either lol

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kit Walker posted:

To clarify, he's specifically talking about the "bury your gays" trope. In my own opinion, I've found that Abbadon is really good at subverting expectations with certain tropes, especially regarding female characters, and everything that's since come out has really only reinforced this. After all, devils don't exactly live and die as mortals do, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that particular story thread will develop. Anyway, next up is one of my favorite parts of the comic so far, so look forward to it

Also

As A Gay

I hate the idea that the existence of such tropes should mean bad things can't happen to gay characters in fiction, even death. That's not the point and it just locks gay people out of a lot of perfectly interesting stories! It's about being thoughtful in execution and making sure those aren't the only possible endings for gay characters in your body of work, which is a little more work than just Never Kill a Gay Character, admittedly.

That said :smithcloud:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Totally valid to feel that way, it's just the thing I'm sick of is people treating specific tropes as buttons you just have to not press to avoid putting in work, and fans looking for reasons that any story development they don't like is Problematic actually. It's not fridging if a woman dies at the end of her own story in a woman focused comic, because fridging means a specific thing, and that's not 'any time a woman dies'. It's not Bury Your Gays if one gay character dies in a comic full of gay characters and others do get to live and have happy endings, because the whole point of that discussion is a trend where gay characters are systemically denied happy endings, not 'any time a character is gay and dies', and it's gotten to the point where you will see people trash good and interesting works, even by lgbt authors, for not checking the right boxes, whereas works that aren't letting their lgbt characters do much but also as a result they are relatively conflict free get a pass.

To be clear, I'm not saying that's what your post is saying, Fagtastic. Your feelings and your post are perfectly reasonable.

It's probably my twitter damage talking. Never read twitter, learn from my mistakes.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Jul 22, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

vyelkin posted:

most stories are improved by having a character who hangs around to call the protagonist a dumbass and for that reason I hope she comes back

:hai:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I don't even think it's Tumblr specific, except for the form it takes in borrowing concepts from social justice. I think it's just like, an eternal thing where fans learn a piece of media criticism and then, as you say, run off to use it as a cudgel. I've been seeing it in different forms as long as I've been aware of fandom, long before tumblr and the current trend of social conciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Boba Pearl posted:

Trying to gather my thoughts on this, but I think that people give too much credence to something for being miserable, like they've taken the idea of eating your vegetables to mean far more then it should. Kill 6 Billion Demons highs are marred by being in a permanent state of misery, where every enjoyable moment is overshadowed by some looming threat or awful thing, it only ever revels in taking, never letting the positive moments breathe. And that's what people want and I get that. I really do, people want to be miserable, anything happy is dismissed as light and fluffy and childish, and the mature poo poo always means dark and terrible. Mature people can live happy lives, and wallowing in misery isn't a sign of maturity. It's the just the kind of childishness people grow out of when they're 16 rather than 12.

All I can say is that it the story doesn't make me experience misery and I don't think it's a problem for you not to like it or want to engage with it, but it's also true that there is nothing wrong with people who enjoyn it and aren't affected the same way. It's as rude to psychoanalyze people this way as it is to accuse people of being childish for enjoying fluffier fare.