Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Applied to Goon as Berylius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Haha I denied you earlier since you said something in chat to me. I figured you were one of the random guys who follow me around in games.

You are in now.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Third World Reggin posted:

Haha I denied you earlier since you said something in chat to me. I figured you were one of the random guys who follow me around in games.

You are in now.

Thanks!

Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx

az
Dec 2, 2005

Applied as akula.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I couldn't really get the hang of this in the time I had to play last night. I couldn't get my swing directions to come out consistently and when I did a pvp match my guys just seemd to run off and do nothing even when I told them to follow, so I ended up getting surrounded by like 50 guys with axe handles who Rodney King'd the poo poo out of me.

Then I couldn't start a new round because I only had one officer guy. :saddowns:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

F1 is stay here
F2 is follow me
F3 is head straight for the closest guy and if no one is close enough go for their main general

Here are the important buttons though
F4 cycles formations that your adjutant has. These apparently give buffs.
~ will change if your guys ignore formations or not when you press F1.

The swinging is from mouse directions and really bugs me at times since I played mount and blade so much with wasd directional fighting.

Also save your prestige / free exp since adjutants can only be bought with that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Third World Reggin posted:

F1 is stay here
F2 is follow me
F3 is head straight for the closest guy and if no one is close enough go for their main general

Here are the important buttons though
F4 cycles formations that your adjutant has. These apparently give buffs.
~ will change if your guys ignore formations or not when you press F1.

The swinging is from mouse directions and really bugs me at times since I played mount and blade so much with wasd directional fighting.

Also save your prestige / free exp since adjutants can only be bought with that.

I had them on follow, I just don't know where they went. They were right behind me, and then we get to the center point on the map and they literally disappeared. It was crazy.

Yeah, I saw the swings were mouse directions, but I seem to get a left side swing if I hold either left or right, and it is wildly inconsistent. When I played War of the Roses and M&B, I always just used keyboard direction inputs for it. While it was far more telegraphed coming out than mouse movements, it was also a lot more consistent. You always knew exactly which strike you were going to get. I might give it another shot, but it just felt really bad that I couldn't get anything but overhead strike to come out intentionally with any kind of consistency.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Directional attacks in this game seem to take the last direction you moved before you click as their input, so for a left slash you drag left a bit and then click.

We have three people in the mumble channel for TK right now if anyone wants to group up.

az fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 26, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There is a training map you can practice that on if you didn't see that.

One issue could be your troop indicator. It is on the bottom and will show how many troops you have left. They either died or you ran off without them. Most of them are pretty slow except for wu infantry and cavalry.

If you get too far from them they won't show up on the minimap but they still will follow orders.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Archers seem to level muuuuuuch slower than infantry. I guess because they miss so much with their arrows.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

so this was like the third match in a row I've gotten MVP with 4+ kills simply by switching to my pike and charging around hitting dudes for way too much damage lmao

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Archers seem to level muuuuuuch slower than infantry. I guess because they miss so much with their arrows.

Ok archers are really stupid. Also great.

You don't have to move from your base if you don't want to. But always aim for the high ground. Get up there, go into artillery mode, hope for the best.

You have to flank more than other people since friendly fire is a thing. It is way less damage on friends but what ever.

Also keep your eye on the arc in artillery mode. Fire past the troops.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

What's everyone's favorite weapon right now?

az
Dec 2, 2005

How do you do skill moves/combos, I haven't been able to figure how to do that on purpose yet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There is a timing mechanic for melee combos. The charge mechanic might work into that, who knows. You will see dots on the left, right, top, or bottom if you got a combo.

You will have to control your clicks.

Charging just does more damage when you release when it is brightest.

Also momentum is part of damage which owns. Get a spear, tap w twice, aim at their head. The more you weigh the more damage it does.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that's how I'm blasting fools to death with my basic pike

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I hate posting score boards but this is why wu soldiers own

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Game actually owns, wtf.

How do you aim your melee tho, it's a floaty third person camera

also literally mount and blade warcry sounds lol

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Loving this game so far. It's great. It also looks like the cash shop elements can be entirely circumvented via the exchange too so that's a huge plus.

Also there's something cathartic about seeing my Wu craft battalion soldiers wade into a bunch of archers and crossbowmen with nothing but a huge gently caress off club and just beating the poo poo out of them. That'll teach you to interrupt my captures. :unsmigghh:

On a side note the tier 2 Wu units for Wu are seriously good in the early levels. Pound for pound they'll beat the poo poo out of just about everything except players in a straight fight. That's not accounting for when they're stronger than them. But still. They have pretty much no cons save the fact that they can't deal with ranged attackers that well when pinned down in combat due to being busy beating the poo poo out of someone with part of the trunk of a tree.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 27, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There is a guy running around with Tier 5 wu infantry and they are so god drat good. I just got mine and I am enjoying the charge button.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
gently caress me. I want to apply but i'm too low of a level. Guess you'll have to keep an eye out.

Also, what the hell does the main force button do in the upgrade screen? Also also, I noticed I did a combo earlier with my iron sickle (Which is utterly nuts. You can solo players with that thing easily.) where I slashed and then leaned into the slash and gouged at their stomach. How do you string attacks together like that?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I figured out how to do one combo, with a slashing weapon.

Fire off a horizontal swing. Just before it finishes, fire off another, then a third in the same way. Congratulations, you've unlocked the secret of baby's first combo attack. You can mix up the left and right swings for the same result.

I am sure there are other combos, but that is the only one I've been able to repeat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I figured out how to do one combo, with a slashing weapon.

Fire off a horizontal swing. Just before it finishes, fire off another, then a third in the same way. Congratulations, you've unlocked the secret of baby's first combo attack. You can mix up the left and right swings for the same result.

I am sure there are other combos, but that is the only one I've been able to repeat.

Well poo poo. Too bad there isn't a list of combo attacks somewhere. Though I guess that means this game is basically Wushu mixed with Total War and Dynasty Warriors if it has actual combo attacks.

Sure as hell scared my opponent. He figured I botched my swing and could run in to hit me like this was Chivalry and promptly got jabbed in the gut before panicking and backing off. I could tell he was wondering what the gently caress happened. So was I for that matter.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Its amazing! But you lost the match!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

Its amazing! But you lost the match!

Go to die!

(This game's engrish is better than Wushu's.)

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Winning or losing the battle is a common occurrence!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I've had a lot more fun once I switched away from spear troops. In theory they could be real good but the ai just runs right up and then they do poo poo for damage.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Set a formation, form a wall, let them come.

Your front row won't do much but your back row does the work.

Dakammer
Apr 24, 2004
- Forum Bass Wizard -
Giving this a shot: from the bit I've played tonight, it's absurdly fun. Sending an application as Dakammer.
In general, should I be upgrading troops completely or bee-lining straight to the next tier as quickly as possible?

Edit: Or not. It's yelling at me for being low level, so I guess 5 isn't high enough. Tomorrow it is, then.

Dakammer fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 27, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
this looks really cool, im installing it now. i sure hope it doesnt get cheated to death for at least a few weeks

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We can take 10 more people in the guild.

Being in the guild does nothing for you.

The application list can get full and I purge it, if I miss you, I am sorry.

It is easier to find me in the CTS mumble and but me about it or hit me up on steam.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Dakammer posted:

Giving this a shot: from the bit I've played tonight, it's absurdly fun. Sending an application as Dakammer.
In general, should I be upgrading troops completely or bee-lining straight to the next tier as quickly as possible?

Edit: Or not. It's yelling at me for being low level, so I guess 5 isn't high enough. Tomorrow it is, then.

Upgrading to the next level is a good idea. At least until you get to t3 around level 12.

Also keep in mind that those camps are useful. Don't grab the reinforcement camp buff when you have troops dead. Restock at camp or get it at start and you'll get as many as 10 extra troops over your cap.

On that note, rolling into a fight with a bunch of dudes in loincloths wielding giant paddles is hysterical. Especially when you realize that with those numbers you can wipe out half an army with their special skill which spreads the damage of each hit out to up to 8 different enemies. Doubly so if you get Han Hao as your adjutant and use the block formation which increases defense. Now you've got a massive wall of burly dudes in cloth diapers annihilating small armies with military precision.

TL;DR: Wu/Wei continues to be loving awesome.

Edit: Also, put in an app. I'm Archon.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 27, 2016

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
This game is janktastic. Applied as AerynSun.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
so how long does it take before i can buy a new spear

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You want a spear? Go play troops that have a spear. Then unlock it for them and for you.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Is it any fun to command horse units? Not sure what faction units I want to focus on, thought maybe horsies would be fun.

Also, it says 'basic cavalry' under my t2 Wei spear (Garrison Spear). Huh? Is there a way to get them on a horse?

Extra edit: What's the mumble server?

5thMouseButton fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 27, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Only two horse units at the moment.

Wei heavy cav which requires you to unlock tier 5 wei pikemen first or shu crossbow cav which I think are tier 3 and come off of shu infantry. They don't have crossbows until tier 4 though.

Check the camping the stairs thread in the private games forum.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
This game is actually really fun.

Applied to Goon as 霍圣迪 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm slowly starting to get the hang of archers.

ALWAYS BE IN FORMATION.

I had initially thought the zooming in/out changes the angle of attack on your arrows but it appears that distance is the only thing that will do this. When you're close the arrows will come in on a fairly flat trajectory. When you're further out they will come in from a higher angle and eventually right down from the top. If you've played any bote games this is similar to plunging fire at range. If you've played WoT this handles similarly to SPGs. If you have a flat trajectory to your target you might want to aim just a bit passed them so all your arrows have a chance to hit some dudes.

When you want the to fire at things make them guard a spot. They will go into formation and then shoot things for you.

The "artillery mode" can be a trap at times. Best times to use it are when you're on high ground with unobstructed view miles away from the fighting. Fire into the backs/tops of enemy armies. Your job is to provide good solid AOE DPS.

Other times you want to hide in bushes or slightly elevated areas and let your archers just auto attack things to death while you're trying to snipe other generals or getting into the thick of things with your wiffle bat. The DLC female adjunct has 2 really food archer formations (both give 3^^^ to ranged attack, and one of them even increases exposure which I assume means you're less likely to be spotted + movement speed).

You're not going to top the charts unless you're godlike with the melee weapons. I, unfortunately am not.

• Locked thread