Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I said come in! posted:

Totally serious question, but what about Thor and his world, Asgard?

They say in Thor that the Asgardians are aliens and use advanced technology that seems like magic to humans, but is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They say in Thor that the Asgardians are aliens and use advanced technology that seems like magic to humans, but is not.

Okay that's fair, I can buy that explanation.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Exactly - thank you. I think the line in the movie goes: "Your ancestors called it magic...but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same."

Here's some more news that I've found - apparently there's already talk of a sequel and if there is - it'll focus more on the villains:

James Hunt from Den of Geek posted:

Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson has confirmed to us that he has plans for a sequel, saying "I love the character, I love the visual possibilities, and I know the comics so well - [the first movie is] the tip of an iceberg. There's so much progress that can be made."

In terms of what direction his sequel might take if he gets to make it, an emphasis on villains was certainly implied. Derrickson cited Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy as an example, saying:

"What made The Dark Knight so great was that the origin story of Batman had been well-told, and then it was time to bring in a villain where you really got to go deep. And not just the Joker, also Two-Face. It was a more visceral experience, I'd love to be able to do that for Doctor Strange."

Cumberbatch, meanwhile, was tight-lipped on his exact deal with Marvel, stating only that "There's more than one [Doctor Strange solo movie]" on his contract.

Source: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...s#ixzz4O6mB1vXu

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Isn't Scarlet Witch magic? I mean, she has 'witch' in her name ...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

well why not posted:

Isn't Scarlet Witch magic? I mean, she has 'witch' in her name ...

She got her powers from a science experiment with an infinity gem.

She's psychic, but not magic.

In the comics she is a mutant. So, weirdly, she has always been a witch, but not actually magic.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Just saw this, I had a lot of fun, it's well served by IMAX and 3D. Mads is I'd say slightly underused; he's very definitely in the movie, but I wouldn't have objected to a little more of him. Virtually every villain in the MCU seems to come about the same way, "I was a good guy, but X happened and now I'm bad": this movie does it twice. They wisely didn't give Scott Adkins any lines. Tilda is great. Rachael McAdams doesn't have much to do. Chiwetel, who I usually don't care for, was good. Visually easy to follow, even when all the tripping-balls-Inception-meets-The-Matrix stuff is happening. This is in my top 3 MCU movies, I think, with GotG and Civil War..

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just back from seeing it.

They turned the Ditkometer up on the visuals. The trippy magic scenes look fantastic.

Also the ending is both amazing visually, and pretty drat funny.

I normally don't like Cumberbatch, but he was the perfect choice for Strange.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Unlike a lot of Marvel movies, this has a third act that really gets off to the races. It's a shame that the first two acts aren't quite as strong as it's more or less a redux of IRON MAN. However, given that they're clearly pivoting Strange into Stark's role going forward it makes sense. The villain is a little thin, as to be expected but his motives more or less make sense.

What I will say though is that this should definitely be seen in 3D. The whole back half of the movie was a visual feast, and some of those amazingly trippy visuals look gorgeous in that format.

Also, thankfully, there's so little link to any of the MCU. The Avengers get mentioned exactly once in sort of a flippant way.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 25, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Just saw this.

It's really great. The CGI guys went to TOWN on the visuals, and it really worked. A worthy addition to the MCU, good performances all round.

Also, there is a fairly hefty link to the MCU toward the end. I won't spoil it, but saying "so little" links is a bit off. Most of it is very seperate though, and it's a good thing. It does it's own thing and holds it up very well.

Some good jokes too!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Just saw this.

It's really great. The CGI guys went to TOWN on the visuals, and it really worked. A worthy addition to the MCU, good performances all round.

Also, there is a fairly hefty link to the MCU toward the end. I won't spoil it, but saying "so little" links is a bit off. Most of it is very seperate though, and it's a good thing. It does it's own thing and holds it up very well.

Some good jokes too!

Yes I avoided one instance, I just meant little shoehorning in of other characters or anything.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
For those who have seen and loved it, can you go into a little more detail about the visuals? They're the part that has me most curious, but all the descriptions I've seen so far tend to be pretty high-level

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Jenny Angel posted:

For those who have seen and loved it, can you go into a little more detail about the visuals? They're the part that has me most curious, but all the descriptions I've seen so far tend to be pretty high-level

Imagine putting the world into a kaleidoscope, and then turning it on it's head, and then putting THAT through another kaleidoscope. It's the world-bending of Inception turned up to eleven and then multiplied by about 35. But it all looks like it's following rules, very little is random, there's a pattern and it makes it look so convincing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AirRaid posted:

Imagine putting the world into a kaleidoscope, and then turning it on it's head, and then putting THAT through another kaleidoscope. It's the world-bending of Inception turned up to eleven and then multiplied by about 35. But it all looks like it's following rules, very little is random, there's a pattern and it makes it look so convincing.

Why the kaleidoscope visual? Are they opening new dimensions into the one they're currently in? rebuilding time?Is there a particular reason why it looks the way it does? It was definitely a cool visual the first time I saw it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For those who saw it: do they use the Marvel Cinematic Universe studio fanfare? (this thing)?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Okay so if I get two kaleidoscopes & a dvd copy of the Matrix im good?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So how trippy and unconventional are the story and themes, to match the movie's visuals?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So how trippy and unconventional are the story and themes, to match the movie's visuals?

The first half is basically a reboot of Iron Man 1. Very similar plot beats.

The script in terms of plot beats is workmanlike, but nothing special. (Iron Man 1 worked, but was a fairly standard origin story format. Same with Strange)

The script in terms of dialogue is very good. Strange is probably going to be the #2 most popular MCU character behind Tony.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

They wisely didn't give Scott Adkins any lines.

I think this person is Scott Adsit every time I read the name and now I wish that Pete Hornberger could be part of the MCU.

Also, uh...what's the after-credits scene?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think Cumberbatch's Dr. Strange could easily replace RDJ or Chris Evans as the MCU frontman.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mameluke posted:

I think this person is Scott Adsit every time I read the name and now I wish that Pete Hornberger could be part of the MCU.

Also, uh...what's the after-credits scene?

Scott Adsit is in Big Hero 6, a Marvel film, which sort of makes him a part of the MCU.

There are two after credits scenes.

One is a lead in to Thor 3:

In the first scene, we see Doctor Strange meeting Thor, offering him a self-refilling glass of beer and asking why Loki is in New York – he explains he knows this because he keeps a watchlist of threats, and that Loki is one of them. Thor tells Strange that Loki and he are looking for their father, Odin, and Strange offers to help him.

The second one is after the ending of Strange (very minor spoiler)

Baron Mordo cripples a guy and it hints that he is going to become evil.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

Other people have hit it but it's partly Inception run through a kaleidescope. Patterns is a running theme through the movie and that extends through to what they do with the world. So if INCEPTION is you folding a piece of paper once, DR STRANGE has it being folded over and over.

It's definitely less quippy than other Marvel stuff. There are jokes in it, but they feel more natural to me than they did in the past.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i really enjoyed this film. some of the coolest visuals i've even seen. cumberbatch was great but my favourite character by far was the cloak. hell yeah.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Scott Adsit is in Big Hero 6, a Marvel film, which sort of makes him a part of the MCU.

There are two after credits scenes.

One is a lead in to Thor 3:

In the first scene, we see Doctor Strange meeting Thor, offering him a self-refilling glass of beer and asking why Loki is in New York – he explains he knows this because he keeps a watchlist of threats, and that Loki is one of them. Thor tells Strange that Loki and he are looking for their father, Odin, and Strange offers to help him.

The second one is after the ending of Strange (very minor spoiler)

Baron Mordo cripples a guy and it hints that he is going to become evil.

You missed an important part of the first scene.

Strange agrees to help find Odin on the condition that the Asgardians never return to Earth. Thor agrees.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
This movie, while good overall, kept the very tired irritating tropes I hoped they would not use, namely that magic can do anything except fix a Harsh Reality of Life That We're Taught To Accept. Magic can teleport you vast distances, stop bullets, reverse time, conjure beer, and blow poo poo up, but it can't fix crippling injuries because that's a Harsh Reality of Life That We're Taught To Accept. Ancient One, you stupid bitch, the reason Strange can't draw his sparky circle is that he has crippled hands, not lack of motivation! Just heal his loving hands! What do you think stranding him on Mt Everest is going to do? This is this definitely going to show up in a How It Should Have Ended vid on YouTube.

Another annoying trope is that the Most Important Truth of All is some commonsense stuff that our mothers taught us when we were seven years old, such as humility or love conquering all or some other bullshit.

On the plus side, the film did its best to distance Marvel sorcerers from Harry Potter wizards. The mirror universe fights were definitely the one thing J. K. Rowling did not do.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 26, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Question for those who have seen it: do they use common spells and phrases that they use in the comics? I.e. "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" or "By the Eye of Agamotto!"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
None. No Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or anything familiar. They were really determined to distance Strange from Harry Potter, so no magic words whatsoever. They did mention a few magic items like the Wand of Watoomb, and Strange immediately made fun of their names.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 26, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rachel McAdams is in this movie. Was really hoping the thread title was going to be "Boo, you hoary hosts of Hoggoth".

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lovechop posted:

i really enjoyed this film. some of the coolest visuals i've even seen. cumberbatch was great but my favourite character by far was the cloak. hell yeah.
It's like the magic carpet from Aladdin: the silent transportation device that is sometimes smarter than its passenger.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kurzon posted:

None. No Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or anything familiar. They were really determined to distance Strange from Harry Potter, so no magic words whatsoever. They did mention a few magic items like the Wand of Watoomb, and Strange immediately made fun of their names.

I wonder if Cytorrak might be caught up in a rights dispute, since it is also the demon (or whatever) that traditionally powers Juggernaut.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Bummer. :smith:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That's not a bummer that's an honest relief. Some things just aren't going to translate well and I can't imagine brand-new-magician-and-recently-unemployed-surgeon Dr Strange yelling that kind of poo poo.

It''d be like introducing Life Model Decoys, Skrulls, and dozens of evil clones into Black Panther. Keep that poo poo out of the MCU.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Disney is just keeping their options open to merge the Harry Potter and Marvel cinematic universes down the road.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

judging by how anal marvel is about dr. strange retaining his hand gestures in even videogames (they were really into this for his MVC3 appearance) I'm curious if cumberbatch emulates those movements with his fingers to a fine point in this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MinibarMatchman posted:

judging by how anal marvel is about dr. strange retaining his hand gestures in even videogames (they were really into this for his MVC3 appearance) I'm curious if cumberbatch emulates those movements with his fingers to a fine point in this.

He does. It's a plot point that he can't at first.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

That's not a bummer that's an honest relief. Some things just aren't going to translate well and I can't imagine brand-new-magician-and-recently-unemployed-surgeon Dr Strange yelling that kind of poo poo.

It''d be like introducing Life Model Decoys, Skrulls, and dozens of evil clones into Black Panther. Keep that poo poo out of the MCU.

How are those remotely the same thing? I don't understand how those phrases are any more ridiculous than a man in a flying iron suit, an alien god with a hammer, or a gamma radiated monster. All of those translated well on film, so I don't really see how those phrases wouldn't translate today. Dr. Strange uses the phrases all the time in the comic to conjure spells.

Also, they already have introduced Life Model Decoys into the MCU if you count what they're currently doing on Agents of Shield.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jonny_Rocket posted:

How are those remotely the same thing? I don't understand how those phrases are any more ridiculous than a man in a flying iron suit, an alien god with a hammer, or a gamma radiated monster. All of those translated well on film, so I don't really see how those phrases wouldn't translate today. Dr. Strange uses the phrases all the time in the comic to conjure spells.

Also, they already have introduced Life Model Decoys into the MCU if you count what they're currently doing on Agents of Shield.

I don't really think it's that much of an issue. It's clearly a mixture of what you do with your hands and what you're willing to happen than saying spells out loud. And I will say that some of that stuff IS ridiculous said out loud. Even hearing people say "The Dark dimension" too many times got a bit chucklesome.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Like I said, I think they wanted to distance Doctor Strange from the Harry Potter movies, what with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them coming out in a few weeks. Not only do they not use magic words, they don't even directly attack each other with spells. Rather, they use martial arts, with conjured melee weapons made out of sparks (whips, fans, ghostly spears, etc.). Does anyone remember the Doctor Strange straight-to-DVD animated movie from nine years ago? In that movie, the sorcerers conjured swords and shields when they fought. And they fight in the mirror dimension where everything is all Inception-y.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Like I said, I think they wanted to distance Doctor Strange from the Harry Potter movies, what with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them coming out in a few weeks. Not only do they not use magic words, they don't even directly attack each other with spells. Rather, they use martial arts, with conjured melee weapons made out of sparks (whips, fans, ghostly spears, etc.).

That makes sense from that perspective. It still sounds really cool visually, so I'm cautiously excited

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Even by the end of the movie, Strange's hands aren't healed. It's as if the movie treats his crippled hands as Strange's Uncle Ben - they have to stay crippled otherwise the character is ruined. I think he should have healed hands but decides to stay a sorcerer because it is much more fun and productive.

The story is fun but pretty predictable. The only remarkable thing this movie has is the Inception-y battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
As far as I know, the explanation for a lot of characters not healing their scars and injuries in the Marvel universe(s) are mental blocks. Like if the character just can't imagine being healed then they can't be healed.

• Locked thread