Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Hand was much more engaging and interesting when it was one guy who went toe-to-toe with Daredevil, and DD only won out of pure luck.

That DD and Elektra were then subsequently able to wipe the floor against 20 ninjas was kind of ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with following the inverse ninja law (the more ninja in a scene the less effective they are). It wasn't too awful except for the episode where they're hopping along rooftops keeping pace with and firing arrows at a moving car. Also they did the Netflix Marvel thing where a character suddenly seems almost interesting and gets a tiny bit of development but is then immediately killed off, except they did it to Nobu TWICE.

For real though generally I agree, small number of unique opponents is always going to be more fun than a faceless horde. It felt jarring how Stick's clan is a small international coalition of a few elite people while the Hand is basically a massive army of treacherous Asian people that's able to chase folks throughout NYC and somehow never get noticed. I mean I don't know much about the heavenly cities and all that stuff in the comics but just going by the show the cliffhanger was why are these evil Asian foreigners buying all of NYC digging a hole to China?!?! Like for real? The show tries to have it both ways by talking about class warfare and gentrification a lot while still making the "real" enemy guys out of an 80s/90s evil Japanese people trying to take on America?!?! flick. The combination of more recently notable NYC-concerns and that is really awkward. The irony of Stick being played by Scott Glenn, who also starred in the awful made for tv film The Challenge with Toshiro Mifune (CineD folks may know this movie under its VHS/WPIX name, Sword of the Ninja) is not lost on me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Did they officially name who Stallone is playing in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

He plays a space trucker who earns some money on the side arm-wrestling.

That seems a bit over the top.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love the post credit scenes because of course Strange could help with that. Note how in Thor 1 and Avengers 1 visages of Loki appear to manipulate people on earth via opening/closing reflective surfaces. His line in Avengers about how there are paths to earth besides the Rainbow Bridge. :aaaaa:

I think the only way that could give a more "see we really did have this poo poo locked down years ahead of time" impression is if they get Hugo Weaving back for Ant-Man 2.

EDIT Spoilered I guess kinda sorta, it's not that big.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 29, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Saw this today and it's a lot of fun, but I do agree that they dropped A LOT of training/world building stuff into like 8 minutes. I know they show Strange having difficulty learning magic at first but in general it just felt like he was great at everything and picked up everything effortlessly after that particular trial the Ancient One puts him through. The entire endgame is awesome from the second the movie moves to Hong Kong and the action is great, but like they tell Strange outright that just having a photographic memory isn't enough to become a proficient sorcerer, except, it is.

HUGE waste of Mads Mikkelsen though, Marvel yet again gets a great actor for their villain, plays them up like they're no joke, then does nothing with them and has them destroyed so there's no chance of them developing any further. They need to like get a script doctor to JUST look at how their villains are written or something. Like the way Strange handles the big bad at the very end is creative and really cool, but we never see anything interesting out of these villains. Especially all the cosmic-esque kind of guys. Each one is just "I'm gonna do this thing that will very clearly result in all of existence being erased, but that's actually a good thing to do because of this reasoning I get like two lines to talk about before something explodes/I escape and don't show up again until the final showdown."

The infinite dimensions and stuff were cool but the action scenes with the twisty cityscapes were kind of whatever. Like it just felt like a transparent way to explain how these folks were flying around doing magical stuff all these years with it never being noticed in the MCU until now, and it made for a few really bad effects at a couple of points where Mads like, I mean it wasn't Blade II spotlight bad but there were a couple of points where it looked unfinished almost. Same to when they first land in Hong Kong, everything, even the bystanders are like a still background plate or something like that gif from Age of Ultron of the Hulk/Hulkbuster fight, but very very blatant in the movie itself. I mean I guess it's a testament to how great the movie looks in general but a couple of moments like that really did stand out.

Does anyone know if the Sanskrit seen in that book says anything or is it just cut an pasted mantra stuff? Is it taken from depictions of passages about Dormammu in the comics (the red flourishes look like a stylized depiction of how his face looks in the comics)?

LMAO at the second after credits scene though. So like this guy can just Suck a sorcerer's magic and ability to do magic out of them whenever and also he hates all sorcerers just from the Ancient One saving humanity often? Uh....

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Mordo felt betrayed, justifiably, by the Ancient One. To him, sorcerors should only bend the natural law, but never break it. The reveal that the Ancient One has been doing shady stuff for the sake of humanity/the multi verse shatters his belief system. He's like that guy that thinks that if you can't do it within the rules, then it shouldn't be done, regardless of the consequences.

I understand the character, I just think that it's idiotic given what we learn in the movie. And the way it was written, basically anything interesting that would lead him to these conclusions happened off screen. So just in time for Dr. Strange 2 we'll have yet another villain whose entire purpose is a form of "kill everything just because I don't like it for some ill-thought out reason."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nelson posted:

He doesn't hate her because she saved humanity. He hates her because she broke the rules and used forbidden magic to stay alive. He thought it would bring worse things. Then he saw Strange use forbidden magic too, which caused him to snap and became a crazy person.

Strange questioning things and having a reputation of someone not into following the rules is something Mordo finds respectable enough that it causes him to go to bat for letting Strange in to be trained in the first place. The character is all over the place.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 7, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

The key thing is, the Ancient One breaking rules lead to the events of the movie, as it's how Mads figured out about the Dark Dimension in the first place. Likewise Strange just saying "gently caress it" to the space time continuum is going to have consequences down the road. It was legitmately needed to save Earth, but it's going to lead to another threat to Earth's existence.

It's not much a key, since Mordo broke off from the group (it doesn't get more "breaking the rules" than that) and also says he had to travel the world for months before coming to the conclusion that the best way to fix whatever damage the Ancient One and Mr. Doctor may have done is to kill every sorcerer on Earth. "Consequences down the road" has nothing to do with the current or any upcoming threats to Earth, but the inevitable toll messing around with stuff will have on one personally. The Ancient One tells us this outright before she dies, the bill catching up is that she reaches a time and place where there is zero possibility of her not dying. Even Mordo's examples of why messing with time is dangerous early in the movie have no effect on the Earth, just on whether or not Strange himself personally exists, dies, or where he could be trapped forever were he to tamper with time too much. Mordo is badly written.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that Asgard, Thor, Loki etc. were all considered science based. How does Loki's power work then?

In The Dark World it's mentioned that he learned his tricks from his mother Frigga/Renee Russo (who we also see using some similar stuff during the first big battle scene.

Asgard in general uses technology incomprehensibly advanced by human standards that the Asgardians still refer to with traditional names and flowery prose so it comes off like magic to an outsider. But Natalie Portman has a conversation with some of the "fates" or whatever and it's clear plenty of them can have a conversation about their stuff in technical terms, just most of them don't.

THAT said, I think Loki/Frigga's stuff is more connected than we think, note how Loki teleports around and appears to people through reflections. He knows of "other pathways" to earth besides the Rainbow Bridge, etc.

Between that and the interdimensional effects in Strange looking so much like the microverse I'm sure all three are connected (we know the microverse similarity is intentional from interviews) and that Loki/Frigga do that stuff via straight up magic.

The Eye of Agamotto being a gem also is interesting though. The gem from Loki's staff in the Avengers flicks, in Ultron I forget if they sya the gem seems to have a straight up AI in it or if it's literally so complex that it's a "soul."

In the comics IIRC Cagliostro (dude who compiled the books the Ancient One and Keselius come to blows over) is Mordo's dad, anyone recall?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Or he'll just continue to live because he doesn't believe that will kill him like Moriarty in Next Generation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I got this impression too that he's not turning all of one stream of time back and forth, but effecting the flow of time to transport himself to different timlines where x is happening instead of y or x hasn't/has happened yet in y way. This is why he gets the best of Dormammu, a being that exists across and has no concept of time at all until Strange met him with the amulet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Instead he becomes super tiny and a job for The Ant-Man.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I bet you they kill Shield and keep Skye for it.

That show was poo poo in it's first season (until the end) and it never recovered from it; it's actually a lot of fun now but it's hard to win back a reputation. It doesn't help that because Coulson lives in it, and the MCU people are against that idea, it'll never ever get acknowledged (where the Netflix shows almost certainly will next phase).

LMAO if the pettiness carries through and like all of the Infinity War/world ending poo poo happens without ANY of the TV characters getting at least mentioned or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was surprised no effort was made by Thanos to get the mind stone back after Loki hosed up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Drifter posted:

The Ancient One did not in fact draw the attention of any large otherworld evil, that was Kaecilias. What she did was, through her actions, tempt Kaecilias into trying that poo poo out for himself, Which was the thing that attracted that otherworld evil being. Now, what she did was risky, but you can't blame her for what happened, except tangentially. Kaecilias would surely have found some other way to gain power and do weird poo poo.

It's like Iron Man. Sure, he sold weapons of destruction, but then he went and fought against people who were using them badly. So it's okay.

On the other hand this also kind of reads like now we gotta deal with folks like Kaecilius because we tried to stop folks like Kaecilius.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Filthy Casual posted:

Uh oh, that sounds like an infinite loop.

Clearly The Ancient One was a lovely bargainer otherwise she wouldn't have been the one to take the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Between Strange and Death Stranded people are just going to have to get used to the fact that Mads Mikkelsen looks better in heavy eyeliner.

• Locked thread