Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Official Movie Synopsis:

Marvel posted:

Marvel’s Doctor Strange follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City’s Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilizing a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel cinematic universe.

Starring:

Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange / Doctor Strange
Chiwetel Ejiofor as Karl Mordo
Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One
Mads Mikkelsen as Kaecilius
Rachel McAdams as Christine Palmer
Benedict Wong as Wong

Who is Doctor Strange and Why Should I Care?:

Introduced in Marvel's Strange Tales #110, Doctor Strange was a brilliant but egotistical surgeon. After a car accident destroys his hands and hinders his ability to perform surgery, he searches the globe for a way to repair them and encounters the Ancient One. After becoming one of the old Sorcerer Supreme's students, he becomes a practitioner of both the mystical arts as well as martial arts. Along with knowing many powerful spells, he has a costume with two mystical objects—the Cloak of Levitation and Eye of Agamotto—which give him added powers.

Here's a great article on Den of Geek which gives a fantastic summary about the character: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/doctor-strange/236250/doctor-strange-comics-a-readers-guide-to-the-mystic-arts

Doctor Strange is important because this is the first film that introduces magic into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Up until now, everyone's powers have been based in science or technology, so this is a relatively "new" concept within the MCU. Moving forward, this opens up limitless possibilities in terms of where they can go from here - new realities, dimensions, etc.

Trailers:

Teaser Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-U_t2pUHI
Trailer #2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM
TV Spot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xoxeCWpZyU

Here's some early impressions from last night's red carpet premiere (source - http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-movie-reviews-reactions/):

Steven Weintraub, Collider posted:

DOCTOR STRANGE is unlike any previous Marvel movie and that’s why I love Marvel. They keep pushing boundaries and make it look easy.

Peter Sciretta , Slashfilm posted:

Doctor Strange's action set pieces make an MC Escher paintings look tame. Some really great, clever, incentive stuff. Worth the 3D ticket.

Eric Goldman posted:

#DoctorStrange isn't one of Marvel's very best, but it is still a very entertaining and visually dazzling movie with plenty of highlights.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Let's discuss - who else is hyped for this movie? I'll be going opening night (November 3rd) in IMAX 3D, as I feel this is a movie that will benefit from 3D due to it's visually striking aesthetic. I've always liked Doctor Strange as a character and I look forward to see how they've adapted him into the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Apparently AMC is going to giving out posters:

I spoke with a customer service rep to get specifics:

AMC Rep Amanda posted:

In order to receive the poster AMC Stubs members will need to see the film in IMAX on either Thursday 11/3 or Sunday 11/13. The first color poster is for 11/3 and the black light poster will be given away on 11/13. Any AMC IMAX location showing DOCTOR STRANGE, will have the posters. -Amanda

In order to get the poster, all you need to do is sign up for the AMC Stubs membership (which is free) and present your info (via their app or print-out). I'm going to the AMC Lowes IMAX in at the Boston Common on 11/3, so I hope i'll be able to score one.

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks for the OP, I've been on the fence for this since the first trailer dropped because it looked somewhat bland.

The last trailer with more of the "trippy" visual stuff looks cool so I will probably go watch this in a theater a couple weeks from now.

Thank you! I think it'll be worth it to see in theaters, especially with :420:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Comicbook.com posted:

“There’s a lot going on this story [Doctor Strange] that will lead you to understand why he’ll play a key role in the next phase,” Cumberbatch explained.

The actor also talked about how he felt now playing Doctor Strange. Cumberbatch said, “Obviously, you want to bring the character to life and tell this really incredible story.”

He continued and stressed that the character’s story is only started in Doctor Strange. “It’s only be the end of the film that you go, ‘Oh my god, this is the beginning.’ It’s an origin story of a superhero that’s going to be part of all of [the MCU].

The actor said he was super excited to see where the character will go in the future. Of course, Cumberbatch has gushed over Stephen Strange before. In fact, he took part in an interview with Tom Hiddleston last month where the duo talked superheroes and more. The actor recalled his recent San Diego Comic Con experience and said fans were more invested in his role rather than himself as a celebrity.

Source: http://comicbook.com/2016/10/21/benedict-cumberbatch-teases-doctor-stranges-key-role-in-mcu-phas/

From the sound of this article, it sounds like Dr. Strange will be central to Phase 4 of the MCU. Could they be phasing Iron Man out and replace him with Doctor Strange? Benedict seems incredibly invested in the character and excited to see where it goes which is nice. I wonder how many films he has in his contract?

I bolded some points for emphasis - this film seems like it'll be an origin story, which I'm okay with given how they're introducing a fairly complex character and concept to the MCU.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 22, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_2016/

As of right now, the film is sitting at 100% fresh with 14/14 positive reviews (so far). I imagine that the number will come down considerably once more reviews start to come out (the embargo was lifted this morning). The biggest complaints Ive seen so far are:

- The overall story arc of how Steven Strange becomes Dr. Strange is very familiar and "formulaic". His character arc is drawing comparisons to the first Iron Man (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing, I loved that movie).

- Kaecilius is yet another Marvel villain that's underutilized and Rachel McAdams character is underwritten.

A vast majority of the feedback has been positive though, praising the film's visuals, soundtrack and great performances by Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tilda Swinton and Benedict Wong. Everyone seems to be getting the feeling that they're setting up Doctor Strange as the new central character to the MCU, since they seem to be phasing out Tony Stark.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

GorgonSmithe posted:

Pretty much every review says "it's really pretty the effects are good and the music is good, but it's formulaic," which is to be expected from Marvel at this point.

Hopefully the next two (the two with the best directors) break that mold.

What really bums me out is Kaecilius being another underwritten/under-utilized villain. The Marvel film division should take a page from the Netflix division - the shows have had consistently strong, well-written villains with a lot of depth. Perhaps it's unfair to compare them since the shows have more time to develop them (13 episodes) as opposed to a movie that's a little over two hours..

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Well Dr. Strange has a bunch of great villains, so I think getting one as a warmup to others like Dormammu, Nightmare, and motherfucking Shuma-Gorath is fine.

Plus they have Mordo, too.

Good point! I hear that Mordo is one of the strongest aspects about the film, so I really look forward to see what they do with the character moving forward.

Shuma Gorath on film would be badass - I really hope they make that happen someday

GeekyManatee posted:

With an average rating of a 6.9. Not too confidence building, but I'll probably end up seeing it anyway because I'm a sucker for the MCU.

:smith: I still am holding out hope that it'll be a good movie, but I've been fooled by good trailers and promotions before

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Yeesh. The first negative review has come out for Doctor Strange and it compares the film to Green Lantern of all movies:

Scott Mendelson at Forbes posted:

I realize that comparing any comic book film to Green Lantern is a game of dangerous trollery, so for the record, I don’t hate Green Lantern. But that’s the comparison that sticks out in regards to Doctor Strange. It too offers unapologetic fantasy imagery within a painfully generic “chosen one accepts the call” origin story.

Instead of explicitly sketched characters and an interesting story with somewhat grounded visuals or “realistic” fantasy, we get jaw-dropping visuals and next-level action scenes within a mostly unengaging story with thin characters.

Lacking distinctive characterization, it’s the closest thing the MCU has yet offered to a generic superhero movie. There are many noteworthy individual beats and moments of potent spectacle, but the sum of these parts is an oddly unsatisfactory whole.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/10/24/doctor-strange-review-the-sorcerer-subpar/#248aa9d84214

Cythereal posted:

Kind of. There's still wet farts like Diamondback and The Hand.

To be honest, I'll take Diamondback and The Hand over some of the weaker MCU movie villains and cronies - namely Whiplash, Malekith, the Chitauri, and the Dark Elves.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Hand was much more engaging and interesting when it was one guy who went toe-to-toe with Daredevil, and DD only won out of pure luck.

That DD and Elektra were then subsequently able to wipe the floor against 20 ninjas was kind of ridiculous.

My main point was that The Hand are way more engaging and interesting than the Chitauri and the Dark Elves, both of which were a bunch of faceless alien mooks.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Drifter posted:

I will go to, and pay for, and obviously regret because they're lackluster movies, every marvel CU movie in a theater for the next five years if the Netflix Defenders fight Fin Fang Foom as a result of the Hand digging down beneath NYC to awaken him.

As someone who would love to see Fin Fang Foom in the MCU I'll be so dissapointed when this doesn't happen

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

What do people think the opening weekend box office will look like? According to this site, it's tracking low, but better than Ant-Man:

Tim Beyers at Fool.com posted:

Marvel movies have proven superheroic in their earning power for Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS). Over eight years and 13 films, the franchise is responsible for over $4 billion in domestic box office receipts and $10 billion of global theater ticket sales. Doctor Strange joins the list on Nov. 4, and is tracking for a better open than Ant-Man, the last Marvel hero to make a cinematic debut. (Paul Rudd's adaptation of Marvel's tiniest Avenger opened at $57 million domestically and ended up earning $519.4 million worldwide.)

The problem for Disney investors is that Doctor Strange cost $165 million to make versus $130 million for Ant-Man. Theatergoers also liked what they saw in Rudd as the thief-turned-superhero, giving the film an "A" CinemaScore. Word of mouth led to a decent run in the theaters that ended with the film grossing over a half-billion worldwide. A higher budget for Doctor Strange means a higher hurdle for profitability, which means reviews and early audience reaction are crucial, especially if the tracking data is right and the film opens just marginally higher than Ant-Man did.

Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/10/22/instant-analysis-for-disney-investors-doctor-stran.aspx

I'm hoping it'll at least hit $75 million for the opening weekend and remain steady due to word-of-mouth. I'd argue that Doctor Strange is more well-known over Ant-Man, so I imagine that it'll make more money in its run than that movie did. The marketing for this movie has been pretty on-point

Much like Shneak, I love Doctor Strange and I too would like to see his movie succeed so that we see future installments. Imagine the possibilities without them being tied down to an origin story. There's so many ways they could go, as Doctor Strange has some great villains, namely: Shuma-Gorath, Mephisto, Blackheart, Dormammu and of course, Mordo (if they go that route).

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They say in Thor that the Asgardians are aliens and use advanced technology that seems like magic to humans, but is not.

Exactly - thank you. I think the line in the movie goes: "Your ancestors called it magic...but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same."

Here's some more news that I've found - apparently there's already talk of a sequel and if there is - it'll focus more on the villains:

James Hunt from Den of Geek posted:

Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson has confirmed to us that he has plans for a sequel, saying "I love the character, I love the visual possibilities, and I know the comics so well - [the first movie is] the tip of an iceberg. There's so much progress that can be made."

In terms of what direction his sequel might take if he gets to make it, an emphasis on villains was certainly implied. Derrickson cited Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy as an example, saying:

"What made The Dark Knight so great was that the origin story of Batman had been well-told, and then it was time to bring in a villain where you really got to go deep. And not just the Joker, also Two-Face. It was a more visceral experience, I'd love to be able to do that for Doctor Strange."

Cumberbatch, meanwhile, was tight-lipped on his exact deal with Marvel, stating only that "There's more than one [Doctor Strange solo movie]" on his contract.

Source: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...s#ixzz4O6mB1vXu

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Question for those who have seen it: do they use common spells and phrases that they use in the comics? I.e. "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" or "By the Eye of Agamotto!"

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Kurzon posted:

None. No Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or anything familiar. They were really determined to distance Strange from Harry Potter, so no magic words whatsoever. They did mention a few magic items like the Wand of Watoomb, and Strange immediately made fun of their names.

Bummer. :smith:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

That's not a bummer that's an honest relief. Some things just aren't going to translate well and I can't imagine brand-new-magician-and-recently-unemployed-surgeon Dr Strange yelling that kind of poo poo.

It''d be like introducing Life Model Decoys, Skrulls, and dozens of evil clones into Black Panther. Keep that poo poo out of the MCU.

How are those remotely the same thing? I don't understand how those phrases are any more ridiculous than a man in a flying iron suit, an alien god with a hammer, or a gamma radiated monster. All of those translated well on film, so I don't really see how those phrases wouldn't translate today. Dr. Strange uses the phrases all the time in the comic to conjure spells.

Also, they already have introduced Life Model Decoys into the MCU if you count what they're currently doing on Agents of Shield.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Like I said, I think they wanted to distance Doctor Strange from the Harry Potter movies, what with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them coming out in a few weeks. Not only do they not use magic words, they don't even directly attack each other with spells. Rather, they use martial arts, with conjured melee weapons made out of sparks (whips, fans, ghostly spears, etc.).

That makes sense from that perspective. It still sounds really cool visually, so I'm cautiously excited

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

What's wrong with Doctor Strange being an origin movie? I felt like this was the best route to go, since they had to introduce such complex characters and the concept of magic within the MCU.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He's not a complex character. "He was a great surgeon, his hands got all hosed up, he searched for a cure until he found a mystic order and became a powerful wizard" could have been done in a montage over the opening credits a la Incredible Hulk.

Edit: I don't have a problem with origin movies, btw. And I don't have a problem with this. I'm just saying that this dude has a simple origin that you could fill in with a bit of Lord of the Rings style exposition.

Doctor Strange is a character that only comic book fans know well. He's not really a well known character in the general public, much like Iron Man or Ant-Man.

One big piece you're missing is the character's growth - sure, his journey might be similar to Iron Man (an arrogant, rich jerk learns humility and gains wisdom from personal tragedy) - but it's still important, and it's not something you can convey over a montage. Also, keep in mind, this is the first instance of magic within the MCU - essentially, we (as the audience) are discovering this whole new side of the Marvel Universe, including parallel dimensions, monsters, etc along with Steven Strange. It makes complete sense to me.

MacheteZombie posted:

It just makes the MCU seem even more rote.

How so? While I understand not every new character introduced to the MCU needs an origin story, I don't really get this reasoning. Every one of the origin stories we've seen thus far have felt pretty different from one another (in my opinion), with the exception of how the story is structured.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So it's impossible to show character development over a montage, and introducing a concept as such as "magic" into a fantastical world of superheroes and aliens is somehow a difficult task. You make it seem like the MCU is regressing storytelling. Obviously it's not, it's just running in place.

When did I say it was impossible? It's clearly not impossible - The Incredible Hulk did it well - but again, the Hulk is a character that's more well-known to the general public and has an origin that is simple enough to be retold over a montage compared to Doctor Strange. How do you explain how magic works in the Marvel universe over a montage without it feeling like a huge exposition dump?

Also, how is the MCU "running in place" when it's just setting up an important character moving forward? If there's one thing the Marvel Cinematic Universe is good at, it's developing and establishing their main characters in their own movies so that when it comes to crossovers (like the Avengers) or sequels (like Civil War), you're more invested in the individual characters.

Like, why would we give a poo poo about Bucky and Steve's friendship if that was established in the first Captain America movie? Captain America: Civil War has a greater impact because they properly developed these characters enough for us to care about them.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Magic" is a wayyyyyy too vague and ambiguous super power for a protagonist to have without a pretty thorough explanation on the extent and limitations of their abilities and you can't really do that in a montage. You might be able to do it for someone who was a lovely wizard with severe limitations (like Harry Dresden) but you can't do it for someone as powerful as Dr Strange.

Exactly.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 28, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

computer parts posted:

You didn't need an origin story for the Raccoon man to get the idea of Raccoon hybrids across.

That's comparing apples to oranges - you can't compare the origin of Rocket Raccoon, a racoon hybrid with genius level intellect, to Doctor Strange, one of the most powerful sorcerers in the Marvel universe.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I loved this movie - the best analogy I can think of is that it's like MC Escher on acid I did end up getting one of those sweet, sweet posters at AMC:

This movie has quickly become one of my favorite Marvel movies so far - it has a ton of humor, the actors performances are exceptional and it's multi-dimensional action scenes (a mix of the reality-warping scenes of Inception and magic of Harry Potter to the extreme) are unlike anything I've seen in a comic book movie before.

The plot of the story was your by-the-numbers standard superhero origin story, but in my opinion, the overall narrative structure worked for me. A lot of my favorite movies, like A New Hope, revolve around an unlikely, reluctant hero who is enlightened and rises to become something greater. The journey of Steven Strange from an arrogant doctor who was obsessed with his life's work into his role as the mystic Sorcerer Supreme reminded me a lot of Luke Skywalker. Over the course of the movie, his perceptions of reality are challenged and as he discovers that our Earth is just one of many dimensions, he learns humility and the responsibility that comes with such power. I felt like we needed to see that evolution in order to root for him as the hero of the story.

How did everyone feel about Dormammu? I thought he was well-done for the most part, and I loved the infinite time loop sequence - "Dormammu, I've come for a bargain!" I felt like they needed to spend a little more time with Kaecilius, as he felt a little one-dimensional, but ultimately, he served his purpose in the story - he was a pawn of Dormammu, and nothing more.

I really liked the supporting cast as well - The Ancient One, Mordo and Wong were all great. To those who complain about the white washing of The Ancient One - I felt it worked within the narrative of the story. When Steven first meets her, I thought her introduction was brilliant with the purposeful misdirect. The Ancient One drew parallels to Steven Strange himself - she was an outsider who mastered the mystic arts and wasn't afraid to bend the rules if it was for the greater good. She served almost as a strong motherly figure, which ultimately helped Steven to stop being so arrogant. Mordo's journey was also quite interesting - he blindly and proudly followed the teachings of the Ancient One until he learns that she herself manipulated the Dark Dimension (against her own rules), which resulted in feelings of betrayal and disillusionment. It'll be interesting to see him as the villain in the next one with Teacher vs Student.

This movie is definitely in my top three Marvel films, and I'll absolutely see this again in theaters. The 3D was worth it!

Edit: Also, I had eaten two edibles beforehand, so that certainly made the reality-warping, kaleidoscope imagery all the better :D

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 4, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Does anyone feel like the final battle with Dormammu felt like something out of Rick and Morty? I feel like Dan Harmon must've contributed to the writing here, it felt Rick and Morty-y to annoy the hell out of Dormammu until he gave in. Also, the Cloak of Levitation's personality was amazing - it kind of reminded me of the magic carpet from Aladdin. The movie was wonderfully weird at times!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As a fan of Doctor Strange (a comic book about a kung-fu wizard) since I was a kid in the 1970s, I have to say that I really loving enjoyed this movie and am glad it finally got made. I'm wholly satisfied and am glad I got to see it in 3D. Now I gotta go see it in IMAX.

It's totally worth it to see the film in IMAX, speaking from experience.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

The only problem I had with the "bargain" scene is that hearing Cumberbatch say Dormammu so many times made the name sound silly. I've heard the name all my life from reading/watching Marvel stuff but never so many times in a row and "-mammoo" is a fun couple of syllables when you're made to think about it.

I think that was the point imho. The name "Dormammu" sounds incredibly silly when you say it out loud, especially over and over again, which made the scene hilarious and super inventive.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I wonder if they'll follow a similar storyline from the comics for the sequel: Dormammu found a loophole in the deal he made with Dr. Strange - if Stephen Strange were dead, he wouldn't have to keep the promise to stay away from Earth. Basically, Dormammu conceives a plan to have Steven Strange killed and reaches a deal with none other than Baron Mordo.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

That seems like a hard one to justify though since Mordo's feelings about Dormammu are the complete opposite of what we're used to from the comics.

That's a great point. Time will tell I suppose - the rumor going around now is that if Scott Derrickson directs the sequel he wants to use Nightmare.

Hollismason posted:

I really liked the fact that he got upset for taking a life it really differentiates him from other Marvel characters

I too loved that moment - it went a long way in humanizing the character.

Overall, I'd say this was one of the best origin stories that we've gotten so far in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, in that we got a lot of character development and growth. Compare where Steven Strange was at the beginning of the movie to where he was at the end to Tony Stark, who basically didn't learn anything until Iron Man 3.

It works really well as a standalone movie as well - I feel like the general audience can get a lot out of the story without having to see the other Marvel films.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

It's (rightfully) going to be ignored for plot purposes, but the bargain at the end gave me a bitter taste in my mouth. You've managed to broker a deal where Dormamu doesn't gently caress with Earth, great, but the dude is expressly going to just gently caress off and consume countless other worlds and countless over dimensions in the process.

There was no way that Strange could've outright defeated Dormammu given his level of experience and power level. If he didn't have the Eye of Agamotto (with the time stone), he would've been hosed. I personally liked the way they handled it, as Strange has made a bargain before with Dormammu in the past. It felt reminiscent of the countless stories in the past about making a "deal with the devil."

Lobok posted:

Unless you establish that Strange/the good guys are powerful enough to imprison or kill unimaginably powerful cosmic beings then the next best option is to send them packing. It's the Galactus problem. He's going to destroy a world, you just have to try and make sure it's not yours. Now, Strange's gambit IS to imprison Dormammu but that effectively imprisons Earth or the whole universe at the same time. And if Strange could kill Dormammu, what would that mean for future Strange films or MCU films?

Pretty much this, exactly. I could see Dormammu being the "big bad" of Phase 4 of the Cinematic Universe, I highly doubt that was the last we'll see of him.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movie has mixed signals. The very last line of the credits is a PSA saying not to text and drive because it's dangerous. But Dr. Strange did it and got sweet sorcerer powers.

He paid the price - he got his sweet sorcerer powers after countless surgeries (using money he didn't have) and hitting his absolute rock bottom. And his hands are still not healed completely. And now, since he messed with the laws of nature, he's gonna have bigger problems ahead of him

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 5, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Variety posted:

This time it’s Stephen Strange’s turn to dominate the multiplexes, after “Doctor Strange,” the first big-screen appearance for the Master of the Mystic Arts, notched a first place finish with a $85 million debut.

"Doctor Strange’s” opening trumps those of “Thor” ($65.7 million), “Captain America: The First Avenger” ($65 million) and “Ant-Man” ($57.2 million). That’s impressive given that Captain America and Thor are better known figures. Still the good doctor couldn’t quite reach the stratospheric likes of “Iron Man” ($98.6 million), “Captain America: Civil War” ($179.1 million) or “Marvel’s The Avengers” ($207.4 million). Those films benefited from having Robert Downey Jr. and featuring bands of superheroes. “Doctor Strange” wasn’t cheap to make. Disney and Marvel spent $165 million to give the Sorcerer Supreme the celluloid treatment.

Globally, the film is a monster, having earned $240.4 million since it began rolling out overseas last week. That includes a $44.3 million debut in China, with Korea ($30.4 million), the United Kingdom ($18.9 million), and Russia ($15.4 million) among the top-performing territories.

Source: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/doctor-strange-box-office-marvel-1201911087/

It looks like this film will be successful in earning back its budget at the very least - I'm surprised it outperformed the first Captain America and Thor! I hope the success of this film encourages Marvel to go weirder and more "out there" with their films moving forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I really liked the film. All of the main cast was great (save Mads, but he worked with what he had), visuals were awesome. The only thing I didn't like was that Dormammu had a more realistic human face instead of the ill defined flaming head but that's a matter of personal preference.

Dormammu looked like a mix between Andross from Star Fox and a skrull with the lines on his face. My guess is that they wanted to really differentiate him (visually) from Thanos

My hope is in future films he assumes more of his traditional form. They could probably handwave it away by having him assume whatever form he wants since he's the ruler of the Dark Dimension

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 6, 2016

• Locked thread