Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was annoyed at how he learned all this magic so quickly until I remembered that he's already exceptionally gifted, achieved his MD and PhD simultaneously because he's brilliant and has photographic memory.
Now take all of the peak-human stuff and multiply it with magic and the fact he can study in the astral plane while his body rests. He never, ever stops learning from the moment The Ancient One allows him inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah. I think it was Multiple Man that had 100 copies all learning different things at once so when he absorbed them again, he was a genius. I love those non-combat power uses.

Edit: I think Naruto did that as well because the main character can make magic shadow clones of himself. The difference being that each one siphons off some of his energy and when that is expelled and the clones absorbed, he almost dies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Electromax posted:

It was the first cool scene that even represented what the infinity stones can do they're building up so much. The others just variously seem to make portals/give you ambiguous strength, and lots of other stuff in their world does that already.

What would be a 'whoa' application of the soul gem, for instance? Can they make them individually interesting in the movie I wonder?

Use of the soul gem may be the first resurrection in the MCU. Allegedly Thor 3 will be about the use of it bringing Ragnarok.

My pet theory is that Death has the soul gem. Thanos has the others and goes to her to get it. Since he's both in love with and less powerful than Death, she refuses and that starts him off on The Infinity War (some of you know how well that turns out for him).

Hell, that could be the driving force behind Ragnarok. After all, they've dropped all pretence that these "standalone" movies are cinematic islands.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you think they are going to actually do the death/Thanos thing in the movies? It was a good story in a comic book but just seems like it'd be impossible to not come off as absolutely goofy as hell in a movie.

It seems like at best you could have some wordless flashback of him looking more human and being rejected by an unnamed lady and then making an angry face and fans knowing what that was. I just can not imagine them trying to do a romance subplot with the design they have settled on for the movies.

No, not really.
If they had the ability to go whole-hog, they'd have Death reject Thanos in favor of Deadpool.

I really doubt we are going to get a lot of Thanos characterization, despite his implied presence throughout this whole saga.
We're in the third phase now and he's only confirmed to be a main character in two movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I actually wonder if they stole the design they had made for thanos for dormammu. Since this movie's dormammu looks pretty much nothing like the comic version but looked pretty much like what you'd imagine a powered up movie thanos would look like. Like I wonder if they worked out a design then threw it out and decided to recycle the work into this movie.

I'd bet that it was coincidental considering Bendytoots played Dormammu, right?

Marvel would have to be Extra A+++ stupid to make Thanos, the most powerful recurring villain into a space cloud.

I mean, they're not making Fantastic Four over here! :haw:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are we starting wild speculation on the rest of Phase 3 yet?

What movies are left:
-Ant Man 2
-Guardians 2
-Thor 3
-Black Panther
-Inhumans (maybe a TV offshoot of SHIELD?)
-Spider-Man: Homecoming (with a possible sequel)
-Infinity War 1 & 2

What am I missing?
I'm very curious to see what they release between IW 1 and 2 and if it will have any significant impact.

Furthermore, Guardians 2 has been confirmed to not have any bearing on IW but I can't see how that is possible.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He looks like winston from overwatch's purple grandpa right now. He will eventually get the gauntlet full of gems and they are gonna show him all final form at some point. "make him really big" has usually been the solution in comics media. Usually in that way where he's as big as the entire moon in one shot then iron man is half the size of his face while they talk.

I don't think he looks ape-like. He has a huge chin but otherwise he's just a giant muscular dude. I mean, he is human after all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I know what they look like and I don't think they looks the same aside from somewhat similar skin tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rough Lobster posted:

That's why he's always sitting. You take the pressure off those things for two seconds and go flying out into the vast unknown.

So really he's keeping the chair in check.
Thanos is a guardian and is trying to save us all from The Sitting Menace.

• Locked thread