Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What if House, but magic powers

I really enjoyed this, especially the fun ending "DORMAMMU! I've come to bargain!". The comments above make me want to see it in 3D now, and now that I've seen it once, I can pay more attention to the background stuff. The accusation of whitewashing before the film came out does have some validity. For a film set mostly in Asia, there are only two characters of Asian origin, and only one of them actually speaks or does anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kurzon posted:

The idea is that sorcerers are an international bunch and draw people from all ethnicities. The only bad whitewashing in the movie is the white mugger who tries to steal Strange's wristwatch. A white mugger in Nepal?

There was a black one too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I liked Mordo's exasperated reaction to The Ancient One leaving Strange on Everest, like it's something she's always doing to students.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lamont posted:

He even turned down Rhodey

edit: oh apparently the director said that wasn't a reference to him

I think it's meant to be the Hammer test pilot from the beginning of Iron Man 2. Otherwise the timeline would make no sense since they referred to Strange being around back in Winter Soldier.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The irony was I thought that he was Thanos when the Ancient One was reeling him through the multiverse.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That's the test pilot he turns down, the x-ray is in reference to the girl struck by lightning.

The test pilot he turns down is the Hammer dude, otherwise the timelines wouldn't mesh at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

Did they really kept that guy laying around for like 5 years before trying to refer him to Strange?

Strange is mentioned in Winter Soldier, so clearly he's 'somebody' by then, which means his training is before that point. Iron Man 2 takes place in ~2008 (and the Hammer test pilot footage is from recently before that), when presumably Strange is still a surgeon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

He wrecked his car in 2016

Hmm, this seems a bit of a mess then. Why is he on Hydra's radar in 2014 then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Injured test pilot could reference dozens and dozens of Marvel characters, no reason it has to be the two we've seen so far.

Clearly it's Hal Jordan :colbert:

• Locked thread