Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man, I think this one might become my favorite Marvel film visually, the effects work was great. Really liked the whole thing though I find myself agreeing with SimplySimon's assessment of Strange's character. I do appreciate that, at the end, he's not yet Sorcerer Supreme and his hands aren't fixed yet.

Did think that the ending with Strange goofily wearing down Dormammu with his super-time powers was kind of weak and silly.

I also really hope to see some snarky Tony/Stephen interplay in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, if I could change one thing, it would be to get them to stop undercutting the tension with a mediocre joke. The Mister Doctor bits and some other jokes worked, but some didn't land well enough for me to justify the abrupt change in tone. Still, the visuals alone elevate it above the rest of these things.

It's weird how they kept throwing in jokes specifically at emotional or tense moments. Kaecalius calling Strange "Mr. Doctor" just as he lays out his philosophy, the cloak wiping away his tears, Palmer's exasperation as Strange calls for her because he's bringing in the dying Ancient One. I expect it was deliberate, to ease the viewer into this new Marvel Universe angle of actual magic, but it came close to ruining the drama a few times.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
He's actually a con artist using pulleys and a highly trained dog.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
A few more thoughts after a second viewing:

First time through, in the beginning of the movie, I reeeaally thought the shot of Dr. West standing surly-faced in the corner and then a foot pushing down a pedal meant he was loving over Strange so he'd make a mistake.

I feel like Strange's being upset at having to kill a man is kind of undercut by his smug satisfaction when he arranges for Kaecilius and his ladies to be cast into a dimension without time as desiccated husks that look very much dead. Seems like it'd be more fitting if he regretted it, but saw no other option. Most of the Marvel film heroes seem to lack the "never kill" policy of their comic book selves, for understandable sake of realism. Strange is the one guy who has his oath as a really good reason to not want to kill, so I hope that remains an important aspect of his character in the movies.

There were a few shots in the scene where Strange talks to Kaecilius as he's caught in the harness, where Cumberbatch looks like his face has gone a few rounds with Photoshop. Like they tried smoothing out his wrinkles and boost the contrast just for a few shots. It kind of distracted me on both viewings.

Whitewashing aside, I love Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One. She's really charismatic. Any significance to her being mentioned as Celtic? Just to illustrate how old she is?

Regarding the after credits scenes, I'm slightly confused that Thor is with Loki, looking for Odin. Last we saw, Loki had replaced Odin and he was heavily implied to be dead, wasn't he? I hope the implications of that aren't just tossed out the window like other setups the Marvel movies have had, such as Steve and Falcon hunting down Bucky. I suppose it might just be that Loki is luring Thor into a trap.
The other one: kind of sucks. I know Mordo is a villain from the comics, but him just going SORCERERS ARE THE PROBLEM when he assuredly must know there's plenty of other cosmic dangers out there to protect against, seems like an excuse to make another one-dimensional movie villain. Why not have him start a sorcerer's league of his own that starts stealing books and artifacts from Strange's?

Overall: movie's still great.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Alright, but then why go after Pangborn, of all people? Dude uses sorcery for only the most basic thing, keeing himself walking. This way, it made Mordo look like a power-vampire. I guess possibly Pangborn drew power from the same well as the Ancient One or Mordo resents him for leaving the Sanctum, but none of that was implied.

edit: You did mention 'sorcerers using power for their own benefit,' which is what Pangborn's doing. Still, talk about starting small.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He doesn't have to, based on the stinger where he first shows up The Collector is working for Thanos.

How's that? He says something like "one down, five to go" but I figured he's just collecting them for his, you know, collection.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
In the comics, at least. In the movies, Thanos lost the mind gem because he gave it to noted trickster god Loki and sent him to Earth with it.

Though maybe some writer can give that a spin to suggest it was all part of the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

achillesforever6 posted:

I just hope they can motion capture that poo poo eating grin he always does.

Guardians of the Galaxy had a pretty good Thanos grin. I hope they redesign him a bit for Infinity War, though. I don't love the costume, but mainly I don't like the not-black eyes.

• Locked thread