Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

For real though generally I agree, small number of unique opponents is always going to be more fun than a faceless horde. It felt jarring how Stick's clan is a small international coalition of a few elite people while the Hand is basically a massive army of treacherous Asian people that's able to chase folks throughout NYC and somehow never get noticed. I mean I don't know much about the heavenly cities and all that stuff in the comics but just going by the show the cliffhanger was why are these evil Asian foreigners buying all of NYC digging a hole to China?!?! Like for real? The show tries to have it both ways by talking about class warfare and gentrification a lot while still making the "real" enemy guys out of an 80s/90s evil Japanese people trying to take on America?!?! flick.

I will go to, and pay for, and obviously regret because they're lackluster movies, every marvel CU movie in a theater for the next five years if the Netflix Defenders fight Fin Fang Foom as a result of the Hand digging down beneath NYC to awaken him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AirRaid posted:

Imagine putting the world into a kaleidoscope, and then turning it on it's head, and then putting THAT through another kaleidoscope. It's the world-bending of Inception turned up to eleven and then multiplied by about 35. But it all looks like it's following rules, very little is random, there's a pattern and it makes it look so convincing.

Why the kaleidoscope visual? Are they opening new dimensions into the one they're currently in? rebuilding time?Is there a particular reason why it looks the way it does? It was definitely a cool visual the first time I saw it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Reminded me a bit of a similar moment from Guardians of the Galaxy where Quill starts dancing in the middle of Ronan's big speech and Ronan quietly mumbles,"Wha... what are you doing?" :allears:

This was the dumbest loving thing I'd seen in a Marvel movie. And I've pretty much seen them all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well, that's...kinda the whole point. Quill knew he had to distract Ronan somehow, and just done the first thing that came to mind. It didn't need to be some kind of cunning plan, it just had to get Ronan's attention for a few seconds.

Quill's no Batman, he doesn't have a contingency plan for every possible situation. He was a dude flying by the seat of his pants, and him dancing and talking poo poo to buy time was perfectly in character.

It's cool that's why he did it, I mean, it's easy to realize, I wasn't saying it wasn't out of character I was saying it was stupid loving poo poo. Maybe it was just the last insult to ANOTHER supervillain to make them retarded and bland, and it automatically primed me to dislike it, but the whole scene had this icanhascheezeburger level of comedy stuck right in the middle of a rather potentially dramatic and mildly interesting world's in danger scene.

I'm cool for comedy, but I'm saying Quill popping open a cell phone and cutting to Jimmy Kimmel's celebrities read mean tweets to distract Ronan would have made just as much sense.

Maybe Strange's encounter with the big D at the end is a slightly more satisfying level of comedy than the end of GotG with Ronan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ but Vision's SCIENCE!! Duh, can't you see. Not Magic. Totally different. Can't you tell?

Does the movie create defined limits and rules for Strange's magic?

Also, I thought Deadpool did a decent origin story.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Seemlar posted:

The Stan Lee cameo is a really bad one, just lovely and interrupts a major scene in an intrusive way. They need to just stop doing these already.

In another few years they will. :rip:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dead Kelly posted:

When combined with the way that Marvel shoots action — i.e. quick cuts to obfuscate that the actors cannot actually fight —

I don't know. Looking at the behind the scenes and extra-takes and poo poo, the action can look quite good sometimes. I think it's more to do with trying to not lose the audience's interest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Hey, in Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne got tossed in jail for stealing bread in Bhutan.

He wanted to go to jail. I'm pretty sure it was on purpose and he may have likely bribed or further offended people in order to do so.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurzon posted:

I didn't notice anything in the movie that might offend the Nepalese, but I think that early in pre-production the execs at Marvel Studios insisted the movie take place in Nepal just in case the movie might actually have said something that could irritate the Chinese government.

Have said something? China's pretty friendly with nepal. China's relationship with tibet has been a hotbed of controversy.

They could have used Tibet if Marvel'd set up some sort of Kingdom of China Ruler Supreme - China's the Best flag or something in any foreign scene, but China wouldn't've let Marvel show the movie in their country otherwise had Tibet been included, most likely.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bedshaped posted:

This is a really common meme to say he hasn't changed and it's completely false. You can't watch Iron Man from 2008 and compare that Tony Stark to the one you see in Civil War. He starts out as a Laissez-Faire dipshit and ends up going to war with the Avengers because he wants government oversight; and all of it is very believable.

Every single Stark movie is about him dealing with a certain aspect of his personality negatively impacting him.

IM -> Morality
IM2 -> Ego
Avengers -> Solitude
IM3 -> Personal demons/drive/motivation
Avengers 2 -> ???
CW -> Responsibility

He doesn't want government oversight, he wants to do whatever he wants to do while alleviating any guilt he has for taking action. Allowing the veneer of government oversight is the easiest way to do it, given the blowback from their "tragedies".

Been a while, but didn't he really only 'go to war' with Steven because of Winter Soldier?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

About Mordo, if him taking Pangborn's power adds to his own, it makes sense to start small so that power taken from each sorcerer makes facing the next sorcerer that much easier.

Though from a script sense and the POV of the audience, Pangborn is also the only person left other than Wong to be a victim of Mordo to set up a sequel. Can't use Strange himself, Ancient One is dead, and nobody else is a named character or even recognizable enough to use.

It's not a victim of Mordo's, but the black dude killed protecting the English wizard mansion will likely be Dr Voodoo. Teh director mentioned at in an interview - at least that's what he wanted.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is how I feel as well. It feels more appropriately comic-book-y this way. Granted I've never read a single page of the comics, so maybe that's not true to them, but I think with such a goofy premise you can't take yourself too seriously.

It reminds me of the Mummy movies, especially the first one. The jokes elevated it way beyond any potential it ever had as a serious movie.

Dr. Strange the movie had a good amount of humor. The "jokes" involving 15 dead seconds of making fun of Wong's name, or the dumb wifi joke (Dr. Strange had no money and no computer and no phone when he got to the school - he was completely broke according to him what the gently caress does he need wifi for) were fuckin' lame.

That was punch-up quip by committee if ever there was any.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 9, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looks like we now know what Mordo was warning about...

Haha. Love it. :laugh:

:suicide:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NmareBfly posted:

The unclear timeline makes this worse, especially because we have a solid tie-in to the rest of the MU with the line about helping a soldier with a crushed spine right before Strange gets into his car accident. From that alone, we know that the ENTIRE movie takes place after CW --

I'll say I feel like 70% of the MCU up until this point is worthless, but even I recognized a Justin Hammer reference when I hear one. DO you not remember in one of the Iron Mans when Stark's at court and they show a Justin Hammer mechsuit on a TV that folds a soldier testing it in half?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NmareBfly posted:

Honestly, no. :shrug: I mean, I do now that I'm reminded but I didn't make the connection at the time. That's a bit better then, but the bulk of the objection still stands -- there's no sense of the passage of time within the movie itself, and asking for the audience to remember a 5-second gag from a different film that came out 6 years ago as the only indication of the timeline is sort of a tall ask. Especially when we just had another person getting a spine crushed while in power armor much more recently.

I totally agree that there was no sense of time progression in the movie. Strange doesn't know anything, has a class with him trying and failing once, and then all of a sudden he does everything and unlocks mystical forbidden knowledge. I'd argue that time progression doesn't really matter, however. His journey is one of morality and compassion and responsibility, not of becoming a good sorcerer. We know he's a good sorcerer, and we don't need to watch Marvel's A Harry Potter Story. I mean, they don't do a good job really, but it's fun.

I just assumed that he's a super smart doctor, and because he's super smart he remembers all the magic poo poo faster than a normal person.

nelson posted:

I feel the same way about our new president.
Hail HYDRA.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 11, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

Ignoring my disdain for the term 'earned' about anything because of course it's earned, it's on the screen,
If it's not a four-minute montage set to the score of Rocky 3 then it's loving bullshit and they didn't :airquote:earn:airquote: poo poo. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

The lack of time passing doesn't bug me because Kamar'Taj has the loving Time Gem in the basement.

Yeah, but very clearly you have to be using the time gem, and everyone frowns upon its usage - so it's not like Strange just goes of to a closet and runs the time gem 24/7.

And I doubt the gem's just lollygagging around emitting timewaves that accelerates time inside the building either.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

One of the earliest scenes in the movie is him loving around during surgery by putting on a music quiz. That alone doesn't prove he's funny, but it does show that he is willing to piss around. At least when he's not 100% concentrating. And those things tend to go hand in hand.

That wasn't a 'quippy' scene, though. Sure, Dr Strange has humor, and can be fun, but the 'quippy' scenes were pretty tryhard poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

That scene was him showing his arrogance and contempt for the work. It wasn't a challenge for him, so he put a distraction in his own way to make it harder - even though this might jeopardise the patient.

tsob posted:

That was certainly it's primary purpose, but it also shows that he is willing and able to joke around when he's not fully concentrating on a job. He might be doing it for a selfish reason, but he's still doing it.

It's maybe not THAT bad in real life, but surgery is a two part thing - before you cut someone open you've researched and studied to hell and back what exactly you're going to do. And the second part - the actual surgery - requires physical concentration - so as long as he's not moving around and risking things being jostled, he can talk all he wants during parts that aren't ridiculously demanding.

This scene was just showing that he was absolutely uber-competent at his job, and that his mental acuity is exceptional. Him joking around with the music quiz has nothing to do with him being a prick. He's SO good at his job that he can extend a part of his focus to other things nearby.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

I was annoyed at how he learned all this magic so quickly until I remembered that he's already exceptionally gifted, achieved his MD and PhD simultaneously because he's brilliant and has photographic memory.
Now take all of the peak-human stuff and multiply it with magic and the fact he can study in the astral plane while his body rests. He never, ever stops learning from the moment The Ancient One allows him inside.

And now remember that being in the astral plane slows time down to a ratio of something like 1000:1.

Dude could have studied for one night astrally and learned as much as a normal person could have in a year, minimum. I still wish they had a scene better demonstrating that, but him studying that one night showed how he did it in a short span of time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

The doctor who said that is a hack and idiot.

Was he really? Because Dr Strange relied upon him to help save the Ancient One, didn't he?

Would Dr Strange let a hack and an idiot operate on someone he cared about>?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

He was presented as being inferior to Dr. Strange, sure, but I got the impression that the hospital was some super top of the line hospital with elite doctors. Dr. Strange was supposed to be the best of the elite, which is why he got the perk of being able to pick and choose his patients.

You're exactly right.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

You're misunderstanding. Strange wants to save lives, but he only wants to save the lives he thinks nobody else can save. On those occasions where he has to take on a job that he considers beneath his talents, he dicks around because it means nothing to him. That's what I mean by holding the work in contempt.

What scene in the movie shows him acting carelessly and endangering the life of a patient? The one where he talks to other doctors at the tail end of his first surgery?

Not about him picking and choosing his jobs that he discusses during the car drive. If that's the scene you meant, that's not the scene anyone was talking about during your last post.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm not entirely sure, but wasn't Mordo more along the lines of "if you're using Dark Arts for personal gain, however small, then you need to be put down."

Like, he didn't try to ruin Strange when he saved the universe. He was just pissed at the Ancient One for using it to extend her life.

I'm probably just creating a narrative, however. I'm not sure what I'm saying here is actually true.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I, personally, would have liked to see Dave Chappelle as Dr Strange.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Benson Cunningham posted:

Speaking of the time gem, that poo poo really confused me. When activated, does it rewind time/entropy in a local area, or across the entire universe? It seems to be local, as with the apple. So what happens if someone walks into a room and Strange rewinds time in the room to a time before they walked in? That would expel them from the room, but would they then be in the future relative to when they entered the room, or in the past about to walk into the room again?

Overall, it was OK. Nothing ground breaking, but clearly Marvel isn't going for art, they just want to push out 2 hours of entertainment and make a few hundred million.

It may not be localized to an area, but to a specific 'cause' effecting an object.

Maybe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Electromax posted:

What would be a 'whoa' application of the soul gem, for instance? Can they make them individually interesting in the movie I wonder?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you think they are going to actually do the death/Thanos thing in the movies? It was a good story in a comic book but just seems like it'd be impossible to not come off as absolutely goofy as hell in a movie.

It seems like at best you could have some wordless flashback of him looking more human and being rejected by an unnamed lady and then making an angry face and fans knowing what that was. I just can not imagine them trying to do a romance subplot with the design they have settled on for the movies.

Marvel's going to be inspired by the first ten minutes of UP and the reveal at the end of that will be Thanos, on his knees, talking to a robe hung up on a coat rack, begging to take him back and how he'll be stronger.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I know what they look like and I don't think they looks the same aside from somewhat similar skin tones.
Whoa. Are you calling Owlofcreamcheese a racist? Savage.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

I think all space chairs just come standard equipped with the rockets, he didn't have to order special or anything.

It was Metatron's first chair. Picked it up off of SpaceCraigslist.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

Everyone in real life compromises something at some point, or they really are a dangerous fanatic. The question is, where do you draw that line?

The Ancient One probably did compromise too much. That's not even subtext, it's just text. Drawing power from the dark dimension both undermined her moral standing with her subordinates, and possibly attracted the attention of a pan-dimensional tyrant thing in the first place. She is compromise taken too far, to the point where it undermines what you were being "pragmatic" in order to accomplish in the first place.

Dr Strange is different in that he compromised the vague sorcery laws at the end for something that didn't benefit himself at all. The Ancient One got vastly extended life by cheating the rules, which she clearly liked; Kaecilius was chasing eternal life for himself by throwing the rules out entirely. Dr Strange bent the rules to set up a scenario that benefited everyone in existence BUT himself, while he might well have been tortured forever for all he knew.

It was also in the face of a truly imminent crisis instead of, "Whelp, I guess I should live for eons without aging because there is bad poo poo out there!" like the Ancient One did. Even if Strange was ultimately wrong, it was much more forgivable a mistake to make, and didn't even indirectly smack of hypocritical self-interest. .

Being a true fanatic, such distinctions are lost on Mordo.

The Ancient One did not in fact draw the attention of any large otherworld evil, that was Kaecilias. What she did was, through her actions, tempt Kaecilias into trying that poo poo out for himself, Which was the thing that attracted that otherworld evil being. Now, what she did was risky, but you can't blame her for what happened, except tangentially. Kaecilias would surely have found some other way to gain power and do weird poo poo.

sean10mm posted:

It's a movie that thinks you can appreciate characters with faults that aren't entirely pro forma or treated as punchlines, and Mordo turns into a villain because he can't do that.
It's like Iron Man. Sure, he sold weapons of destruction, but then he went and fought against people who were using them badly. So it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

My main non-serious objection to this movie is that Kaecilius was played by one of my favorite actors yet they couldn't think of something cooler than Brittney Spears backup dancer style mascara to give him.

“It doesn’t make sense,” says Cumberbatch, in a red cape and ugly goatee.
“Not everything does,” replies The Ancient One. “Not everything has to.”

• Locked thread