Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grendels Dad posted:

Is there information on how Europeans can get their mitts on such a poster? I've failed to get a proper Conan poster for ages but this would seem to be a nice albeit slightly less muscled substitute.

Unless AMC has a European affiliate, you're gonna have to ebay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shneak posted:

I'm preemptively sorry for cursing this movie to a rotten tomatometer because I care too much about it. Doctor Strange is possibly my favourite hero and I'd like to see him get successful exposure to the casual audience. I'm also obligated to see anything with Tilda Swinton and Inception-esque visuals.

Gimme Shuma-Gorath in a post-credits scene.

Seems to be doing pretty well so far on the Tomato-meter.

40 reviews and it is at 97%.

The only bad review is from a guy from Forbes who hated Deadpool, Straight Outta Compton, and Days of Future Past, but loved the 3rd Hobbit movie, The Annie remake, and Fifty Shades of Grey.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What do people think the opening weekend box office will look like? According to this site, it's tracking low, but better than Ant-Man:

Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/10/22/instant-analysis-for-disney-investors-doctor-stran.aspx

I'm hoping it'll at least hit $75 million for the opening weekend and remain steady due to word-of-mouth. I'd argue that Doctor Strange is more well-known over Ant-Man, so I imagine that it'll make more money in its run than that movie did. The marketing for this movie has been pretty on-point

Much like Shneak, I love Doctor Strange and I too would like to see his movie succeed so that we see future installments. Imagine the possibilities without them being tied down to an origin story. There's so many ways they could go, as Doctor Strange has some great villains, namely: Shuma-Gorath, Mephisto, Blackheart, Dormammu and of course, Mordo (if they go that route).

Genderbent Mephisto is rumored to be the villain for The Defenders Netflix series, but Dormammu is actually in Dr. Strange with two cameos / easter eggs. So, it seems likely that they would be in a sequel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

well why not posted:

I'm pretty interested in seeing this - is Mikkelsen well utilised, or is he wasted? I dream of the world where Hannibal just straight up eats the avengers one by one.

Reviews say that he has a good performance and interesting character, but is underused.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I said come in! posted:

Totally serious question, but what about Thor and his world, Asgard?

They say in Thor that the Asgardians are aliens and use advanced technology that seems like magic to humans, but is not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

well why not posted:

Isn't Scarlet Witch magic? I mean, she has 'witch' in her name ...

She got her powers from a science experiment with an infinity gem.

She's psychic, but not magic.

In the comics she is a mutant. So, weirdly, she has always been a witch, but not actually magic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So how trippy and unconventional are the story and themes, to match the movie's visuals?

The first half is basically a reboot of Iron Man 1. Very similar plot beats.

The script in terms of plot beats is workmanlike, but nothing special. (Iron Man 1 worked, but was a fairly standard origin story format. Same with Strange)

The script in terms of dialogue is very good. Strange is probably going to be the #2 most popular MCU character behind Tony.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mameluke posted:

I think this person is Scott Adsit every time I read the name and now I wish that Pete Hornberger could be part of the MCU.

Also, uh...what's the after-credits scene?

Scott Adsit is in Big Hero 6, a Marvel film, which sort of makes him a part of the MCU.

There are two after credits scenes.

One is a lead in to Thor 3:

In the first scene, we see Doctor Strange meeting Thor, offering him a self-refilling glass of beer and asking why Loki is in New York – he explains he knows this because he keeps a watchlist of threats, and that Loki is one of them. Thor tells Strange that Loki and he are looking for their father, Odin, and Strange offers to help him.

The second one is after the ending of Strange (very minor spoiler)

Baron Mordo cripples a guy and it hints that he is going to become evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MinibarMatchman posted:

judging by how anal marvel is about dr. strange retaining his hand gestures in even videogames (they were really into this for his MVC3 appearance) I'm curious if cumberbatch emulates those movements with his fingers to a fine point in this.

He does. It's a plot point that he can't at first.

• Locked thread