Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Strange is essentially my favorite comic character so I'm allowing myself to be one of those horrible fanboys who rush out to see things. At least in this case, I've got a good feeling that it's going to be entertaining. The only movies I'm going to watch in the theater this year are this, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and The Shining.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

- The overall story arc of how Steven Strange becomes Dr. Strange is very familiar and "formulaic". His character arc is drawing comparisons to the first Iron Man (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing, I loved that movie).

Iron Man's character arc in his origin is very similar to Dr. Strange's: a proud man brought low who learns to be a better person through the experience. Of course, for Dr. Strange (in the comics at least) one of the important aspects of it is that he humbles himself and then rededicates his life to another path, something that Tony Stark doesn't do.

And yes, Marvel movies need better villains. I think it's the safest bet on the planet that they'll be setting up Dormammu for a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A question about the 3D: is it a lot of depth of field stuff or are they pushing things out of the screen toward the audience. The reason that I'm asking is that I can see the depth of field stuff pretty well, but pushing "out" from the screen makes me see double images.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drifter posted:

It's not a victim of Mordo's, but the black dude killed protecting the English wizard mansion will likely be Dr Voodoo. Teh director mentioned at in an interview - at least that's what he wanted.

Considering Brother Voodoo's brother (say that three times fast) got killed, if they decide to include the character in later films then the person who died will probably be the brother.

FWIW, I enjoyed the movie. I had some of the same complaints as other people (I'd have prefered magic duels instead of kung fu), but it was a fun time. When they have a sequel I'll be going out the first weekend again. My brother who had only the vaguest idea of who Dr. Strange was liked it as well.

These "side" Marvel movies have turned out to be a lot more enjoyable than the "main" ones...

• Locked thread