Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kurzon posted:

This movie, while good overall, kept the very tired irritating tropes I hoped they would not use, namely that magic can do anything except fix a Harsh Reality of Life That We're Taught To Accept. Magic can teleport you vast distances, stop bullets, reverse time, conjure beer, and blow poo poo up, but it can't fix crippling injuries because that's a Harsh Reality of Life That We're Taught To Accept. Ancient One, you stupid bitch, the reason Strange can't draw his sparky circle is that he has crippled hands, not lack of motivation! Just heal his loving hands! What do you think stranding him on Mt Everest is going to do? This is this definitely going to show up in a How It Should Have Ended vid on YouTube.

Above several hundred quotes saying "Did you even watch the loving movie?" It's made explicit that Strange being unable to form a portal is nothing to do with his hands. And by "explicit" I mean there's a scene where Strange literally says "I can't do magic because my hands are hosed up" and then Master Hamir reveals he can perform the spells despite not having a left hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lady Galaga posted:

It was his tears that the cape was mopping up, not his blood. It was after he shared with Rachel his emotional moment

What I liked most about that scene was that the Cloak of Levitation did it as soon as Strange popped its collar to get the comic book look. It was a deliberate deflation of what would otherwise have been a super cheesy moment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

In regards to a third gem being on Earth, they're pretty clearly building up to Earth being, in some way, special. It's not just a coincidence.

In the comic continuity Earth is special, mostly because of its location. It's the most strategically positioned habitable world between the Kree and Skrull Empires, the anchor point for the eight Asgardian realms and a bunch of other things that haven't yet arisen in the movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

What, you expect me to actually read the thread before posting in it?

This Giacchino guy sounds lazy as hell.

Composers usually have a musical signature.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lobok posted:

Really not looking forward to Vision dying. Like he'll either be ripped apart or he'll fall over dead like Switch in The Matrix.

I would think that Infinity War will focus on Thanos having almost all the Stones, and the Avengers suddenly realising that the Vision has the last one in his head.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tsob posted:

Thanos probably already has the Soul Gem given it's the only one not to appear so far

The villain of Thor: Ragnarok is Hela. As she rules over the souls of the dead, odds are good she has it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

See, this is why I think the lack of time passing bugs me. He does specifically say that to become a good doctor it took YEARS of study but we never get the impression that magic takes real dedication and hard work (though we never see him in med school either so maybe he just cruised through that too.)

The lack of time passing doesn't bug me because Kamar'Taj has the loving Time Gem in the basement.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tsob posted:

One of the earliest scenes in the movie is him loving around during surgery by putting on a music quiz. That alone doesn't prove he's funny, but it does show that he is willing to piss around. At least when he's not 100% concentrating. And those things tend to go hand in hand.

That scene was him showing his arrogance and contempt for the work. It wasn't a challenge for him, so he put a distraction in his own way to make it harder - even though this might jeopardise the patient.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Strange does not have contempt for his work. He's arrogant, yes, but the movie clearly shows that Strange wants to save lives. He doesn't do anything to jeopardize the patient, it's that he's that good that he can do the surgery while BS'ing around.

When it's serious, like the bullet he removes from the guy's neck, you see that Strange is determined to save the person and he cuts out the BS.

You're misunderstanding. Strange wants to save lives, but he only wants to save the lives he thinks nobody else can save. On those occasions where he has to take on a job that he considers beneath his talents, he dicks around because it means nothing to him. That's what I mean by holding the work in contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mary had a little clam posted:

That pic has me thinking about Thanos either himself taking the time or hiring someone to install rocket boosters on his arm rest rocks instead of just having an actual chair.

Arms are optional on most office chairs. That's a Herman Miller Rock Throne he's sitting on there, nothing but the best for a son of the Titans.

• Locked thread