Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Drifter posted:

I totally agree that there was no sense of time progression in the movie.

I got some sense of it, but definitely that coupled with the origin story beats in the front end slogged it down a bit.

It's too bad, because a solution for both those things would be more creative editing. Maybe present the events nonlinearly in the beginning...show Strange as this broken husk in Nepal, and don't explain why. Cut from the alley robbery to him as an arrogant doctor in his Ferrari and the crash. Embellish the scene where he's pleading at the door to Kamar-Taj with his hopeless attempts to fix his hands medically before getting there. The jumping back and forth in time would probably convey a better sense of its passage, and more efficiently cover all the "origin story" beats. Hell, it'd relate better to the notions of recursion, inevitability, and nonlinearity of time that drive the end of the movie, too.**

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. Quite a bit, actually...it feels aesthetic in a way a lot of Marvel films don't. And had legitimately good character moments...the astral projection "I just wanted to see the snow" scene was actually really touching. But yeah, it was pretty explicitly the first Iron Man in a different wrapper.

**Edit: I'm realizing I am essentially describing the structure of Batman Begins, but whatever. I'm fine with it.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I honestly can't wait for the Infinity Stones story to end. A personality-less purple monster man using 6 MacGuffins to, I assume, create a world-destroying pillar of light is not something I needed several films to establish.

Dr. Strange is cool, though. Hopefully he gets the Eye back after Thanos steals it. Or he doesn't, whatever. Strange fighting Mordo sounds way more interesting.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Filthy Casual posted:

I think that plays in to the Ancient One's lesson of having to let the darkness in a little, or else it will consume you. Contrast that with Mordo, whose rigid zealotry is likely taking him down the road to villainy, and its probably better off to be kind of a dick.

That's an interesting point. It's a very liberal-democrat argument, that extremes are dangerous and radical positions are bad ideas. Kaecilius is a revolutionary and Mordo is a fundamentalist...and they're both destined for failure, because the "correct" worldview is Strange's comfort zone of multicultural liberal capitalism.

[/SMG]

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Plus it's clear he's kind of cheating thanks to the eiditic memory and astral-projection reading while he sleeps.

How unfair that some students study instead of sleeping and have good memories. Cheating, I say.

Given that the events of Dr. Strange won't overlap with any other Marvel property until Thor: Ragnarok, I think you can safely assume the first movie takes place at any point between last year and November 2, 2017.

• Locked thread