Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Really enjoyed the film, the big climactic showdown between Strange and Dormammu is loving fantastic, I was not expecting them to play it so comedic, and Dormammu's,"....wait, what just happened?" moment in the middle of his big booming villain speech was great. Reminded me a bit of a similar moment from Guardians of the Galaxy where Quill starts dancing in the middle of Ronan's big speech and Ronan quietly mumbles,"Wha... what are you doing?" :allears:

Visually the film is spectacular, two big sequences in New York and Hong Kong I especially liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

Does the movie create defined limits and rules for Strange's magic?

One of the major things in the film is that EVERYBODY is either breaking/bending the rules of magic or are fine with it being done "for the greater good", which generally means they're being hypocritical ESPECIALLY The Ancient One. Except for one particular character who becomes increasingly distressed (in a dramatic sense, it's not played for laughs) about it because they are a true believer, took everything they were told at face value, and strongly base their values/sense of self on it. This leads to a sequel hook.

Edit: Figured I better add more spoiler tags.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 29, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

The version I watched didn't actually have this. It was just Thor saying he's looking for Odin and Strange standing up saying he'd help

I believe Strange says (paraphrased): "Loki is dangerous and you've brought him to New York, you say that if you can find Odin you will all go back to Asgard which means you (and more importantly Loki) will no longer be in New York, so I'm going to help you find Odin!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kurzon posted:

The film ought to explain WHY breaking these rules is so terrible.

They do! There are lengthy arguments about it between characters!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Also, Strange's coat is a better fighter than him. :allears:

I absolutely loved the scene where Strange does his badass "Okay it's time to get serious" gesture and the cape starts rubbing at the blood on his cheeks like an overprotective mother, and he's irritably trying to stop it because it's messing with his moment :allears:

• Locked thread