Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

davidspackage posted:

It's weird how they kept throwing in jokes specifically at emotional or tense moments. Kaecalius calling Strange "Mr. Doctor" just as he lays out his philosophy, the cloak wiping away his tears, Palmer's exasperation as Strange calls for her because he's bringing in the dying Ancient One. I expect it was deliberate, to ease the viewer into this new Marvel Universe angle of actual magic, but it came close to ruining the drama a few times.

Yeah, this is one of my criticisms of the movie; it's just so packed full of wild zingers (about a good quarter of which are the cloak just being Carpet from Aladdin) that hardly any moments get to land.

Other thoughts:

1. I was full on expecting this to be Iron Man, But Magic, and it thankfully wasn't. However, Rachel McAdams was definitely Pepper Pots, But Medicine. She honestly feels like her whole plot was written in after test audiences were confused by Strange and Mordo never kissing, despite obviously being lovers

2. Strong first act, cool setpieces at the climax, but the middle is just chock-full of a whole bunch of useless kung fu

3. They say "Dark Dimension" and "Mirror Dimension" a cool dozen-plus times each without the slightest hint of irony or self-awareness, which I'm not sure if I love or hate

4. Visually I think what I most appreciated were kirby dots at the end and the Bill & Ted time tunnel in the beginning

5. Maybe my favorite moment is the hospital PA calling for Dr. Rachel McAdams to report to the ER because it's this incredibly mundane bit of dialogue that comes crashing into the scene as if no one in the hospital cares that the Master of Disguise just soul-died on the operating table

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus christ don't hire writers from tumblr.

Nextwave is from 2006, Tumblr had nothing to do with it. 2006 is just the altogether nadir of american culture and humour

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I mean it definitely was funny in 2006, but in my experience literally nothing from that Dark Year has stood the test of time

• Locked thread