Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't realize "stop hiring your writers from tumblr" and "sorry about your poo poo taste" were invitations to a dialogue.

Getting yous social skills from tumblr will do that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

McCloud posted:

I don't think Strange cared about human life as much as he pretended he did. Remember that a running theme of the Ancient one is that she calls out his bullshit constantly, she sees right through him. And when he tried to hide behind his oath she outright says he doesn't care about the people he saves, he just has a god complex and likes deciding over life or death. He didnt want the job because it cramped his style, not because he cares about the sanctity of life, because as noted, he just sacrificed 3 souls to satan with a grin

I can't think of a good way to put this, but it fees like this movie actually takes the character flaws of its main character seriously in a way that most (all?) other Marvel movies don't. They were less afraid to make the hero genuinely unlikable at times, and it makes the ending work better as a result.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Everyone in real life compromises something at some point, or they really are a dangerous fanatic. The question is, where do you draw that line?

The Ancient One probably did compromise too much. That's not even subtext, it's just text. Drawing power from the dark dimension both undermined her moral standing with her subordinates, and possibly attracted the attention of a pan-dimensional tyrant thing in the first place. She is compromise taken too far, to the point where it undermines what you were being "pragmatic" in order to accomplish in the first place.

Dr Strange is different in that he compromised the vague sorcery laws at the end for something that didn't benefit himself at all. The Ancient One got vastly extended life by cheating the rules, which she clearly liked; Kaecilius was chasing eternal life for himself by throwing the rules out entirely. Dr Strange bent the rules to set up a scenario that benefited everyone in existence BUT himself, while he might well have been tortured forever for all he knew.

It was also in the face of a truly imminent crisis instead of, "Whelp, I guess I should live for eons without aging because there is bad poo poo out there!" like the Ancient One did. Even if Strange was ultimately wrong, it was much more forgivable a mistake to make, and didn't even indirectly smack of hypocritical self-interest. .

Being a true fanatic, such distinctions are lost on Mordo.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 23, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

well why not posted:

Mordo is kind of realistic in that way - the #2 guy is almost always a bigger believer than the leader of a group.

It's the zeal if the converted. Mordo alludes to having a very bad past that the Ancient One saved him from, but Mordo probably just changed what he was a fanatic about, and remained otherwise the same all along.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a movie that thinks you can appreciate characters with faults that aren't entirely pro forma or treated as punchlines, and Mordo turns into a villain because he can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Drifter posted:

It's like Iron Man. Sure, he sold weapons of destruction, but then he went and fought against people who were using them badly. So it's okay.

This... doesn't fit what Strange does in the movie at all, though?

• Locked thread