Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Unlike a lot of Marvel movies, this has a third act that really gets off to the races. It's a shame that the first two acts aren't quite as strong as it's more or less a redux of IRON MAN. However, given that they're clearly pivoting Strange into Stark's role going forward it makes sense. The villain is a little thin, as to be expected but his motives more or less make sense.

What I will say though is that this should definitely be seen in 3D. The whole back half of the movie was a visual feast, and some of those amazingly trippy visuals look gorgeous in that format.

Also, thankfully, there's so little link to any of the MCU. The Avengers get mentioned exactly once in sort of a flippant way.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Just saw this.

It's really great. The CGI guys went to TOWN on the visuals, and it really worked. A worthy addition to the MCU, good performances all round.

Also, there is a fairly hefty link to the MCU toward the end. I won't spoil it, but saying "so little" links is a bit off. Most of it is very seperate though, and it's a good thing. It does it's own thing and holds it up very well.

Some good jokes too!

Yes I avoided one instance, I just meant little shoehorning in of other characters or anything.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

For those who have seen and loved it, can you go into a little more detail about the visuals? They're the part that has me most curious, but all the descriptions I've seen so far tend to be pretty high-level

Other people have hit it but it's partly Inception run through a kaleidescope. Patterns is a running theme through the movie and that extends through to what they do with the world. So if INCEPTION is you folding a piece of paper once, DR STRANGE has it being folded over and over.

It's definitely less quippy than other Marvel stuff. There are jokes in it, but they feel more natural to me than they did in the past.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jonny_Rocket posted:

How are those remotely the same thing? I don't understand how those phrases are any more ridiculous than a man in a flying iron suit, an alien god with a hammer, or a gamma radiated monster. All of those translated well on film, so I don't really see how those phrases wouldn't translate today. Dr. Strange uses the phrases all the time in the comic to conjure spells.

Also, they already have introduced Life Model Decoys into the MCU if you count what they're currently doing on Agents of Shield.

I don't really think it's that much of an issue. It's clearly a mixture of what you do with your hands and what you're willing to happen than saying spells out loud. And I will say that some of that stuff IS ridiculous said out loud. Even hearing people say "The Dark dimension" too many times got a bit chucklesome.

• Locked thread