Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

As someone who would love to see Fin Fang Foom in the MCU I'll be so dissapointed when this doesn't happen

Going off of Marvel's casting so far, the part of huge Chinese dragon Fin Fang Foom will be played by Alexander Skarsgård.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

Did they officially name who Stallone is playing in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet?

He plays a space trucker who earns some money on the side arm-wrestling.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rachel McAdams is in this movie. Was really hoping the thread title was going to be "Boo, you hoary hosts of Hoggoth".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McSpanky posted:

Frankly I think we could use more 50s-style things-coming-at-the-screen 3D. Godzilla was pretty great in 3D but some atomic hellfire washing over the crowd would've taken it to the next level.

My theory is that most people don't like things coming out of the screen because the effect actually works and their ego just doesn't like it. Like trying to act as though a scary movie isn't scaring you or a dumb joke isn't making you laugh.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not something I look out for when going into an action movie but in hindsight it's nice to have one that doesn't give cars primary placement in any of the action scenes. Strange's origin has one obviously and I think there might be a few that they have to dodge throughout the film like when time reverses at the Hong Kong Sanctum or when Kaecilius creates a split in the mirror dimension for him and his homies to run between but that's it. The action happens either at the most intimate level, hand-to-hand, or at the other end of the spectrum where they're messing with reality.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

well why not posted:

lol that there's no Nexus in the southern hemisphere. QUICK! TO THE BONNIE DOON NEXUS!

The Dark Dimension is above us. No need for protection from below.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only problem I had with the "bargain" scene is that hearing Cumberbatch say Dormammu so many times made the name sound silly. I've heard the name all my life from reading/watching Marvel stuff but never so many times in a row and "-mammoo" is a fun couple of syllables when you're made to think about it.

Maybe that's part of why Ellis used him in Nextwave.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I've not seen the film yet, but am a huge fan of the comics. Dormammu is at his best when he's simultaneously destroying worlds while being a petty, cackling, scenery-chewing megalomaniac. Especially when his smarter sister Umar is egging him on.

We're probably never gonna get MCU Umar though. :(

Unless there's a Wizard of Oz-style reveal in subsequent films, be prepared that you're not getting the Dormammu of the comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Josh Lyman posted:

Does the ending draw from a comic storyline or is that something the screenwriters thought up?

The Eye generally does not have time control powers in the comics (in the interests of tying Strange into the MCU and to give him much more fantastical power levels the Eye in the movie is the Time Infinity Stone) so the ending is all new to my knowledge, though Strange does extremely early on in his comics get Dormammu, who is portrayed as being waaaaay too strong for Strange, into an honour-bound agreement to stay away from Earth. Not quite the "bargain", but the spirit is kinda the same of not actually besting him in combat or magic but eliminating the threat of Dormammu nonetheless.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I wonder if they'll follow a similar storyline from the comics for the sequel: Dormammu found a loophole in the deal he made with Dr. Strange - if Stephen Strange were dead, he wouldn't have to keep the promise to stay away from Earth. Basically, Dormammu conceives a plan to have Steven Strange killed and reaches a deal with none other than Baron Mordo.

That seems like a hard one to justify though since Mordo's feelings about Dormammu are the complete opposite of what we're used to from the comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Not exactly I mean he does send Mads and them to Dormammu

Well, it is what they asked for...

And technically they didn't die, although for anyone familiar with the Mindless Ones that argument is splitting hairs.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's a great point. Time will tell I suppose - the rumor going around now is that if Scott Derrickson directs the sequel he wants to use Nightmare.

Probably the best choice. Mephisto is... well, Satan, and with Hela already being used in Thor I doubt Marvel would want to inflame Christian tempers and be unoriginal in using a ruler of the underworld twice. By using Nightmare they can make things creepy and twisted in a PG-13 way and if the filmmakers like reality warping so much you can't get much better than using dream dimensions. You can gently caress with the audience's minds, too.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MisterBibs posted:

It's (rightfully) going to be ignored for plot purposes, but the bargain at the end gave me a bitter taste in my mouth. You've managed to broker a deal where Dormamu doesn't gently caress with Earth, great, but the dude is expressly going to just gently caress off and consume countless other worlds and countless over dimensions in the process.

Maybe it's just because I've recently been playing World of Warcraft, where there's a Bad Guy Army that is implicitly going for all the pieces on the chessboard, not just Our Home World.

Unless you establish that Strange/the good guys are powerful enough to imprison or kill unimaginably powerful cosmic beings then the next best option is to send them packing. It's the Galactus problem. He's going to destroy a world, you just have to try and make sure it's not yours. Now, Strange's gambit IS to imprison Dormammu but that effectively imprisons Earth or the whole universe at the same time. And if Strange could kill Dormammu, what would that mean for future Strange films or MCU films?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Josh Lyman posted:

Mordo first appeared 9 years after Lord of the Rings was published. That's just lazy by Stan Lee, like Sinestro in Green Lantern.

Or maybe I just don't get comics.

Those dudes are the opposite of lazy. By the time recognizable Marvel characters had appeared they had already created countless monsters and creatures and bad guys, several times a month for years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Gravity is one of those movies that I had a blast seeing once in 3D on a bigass IMAX screen and then never felt the need to see again. Haven't seen the former of your two in 3D, unfortunately, and haven't seen the latter at all.

I'm playing through Tomb Raider right now and Gravity looks exactly like the platforming and puzzles feel. Or Uncharted if you're more familiar with that. Uncharted... In Space!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So I guess that thing that Strange threw at Kaecillius to tie him up?
Crimson Bands of Cyttorak

Other easter eggs here: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/05/doctor-strange-easter-eggs-spoilers

I don't remember them being red...

Also, Dr. West is a character they don't mention. He comes straight out of The Oath as well and may be a potential villain later, though this movie seems to diffuse the problems that lead him to villainy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The more I think about the appearance of the big bad guy, the more I think they made a good choice having Dormammu be a gigantic, disembodied head. Even when reading the old comics when they would talk up D as having an insane power level, the look of the guy always left me thinking "...this guy? Really?" As a Strange-sized humanoid he doesn't really sell the idea of god-like power. As soon as Dormammu's face appears in the movie though, it's an unconscious visual cue to tell the audience that this guy is above and beyond mere mortals like Strange and Kaecilius. And since he's not in the movie for very long it helps to sell that idea right away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

About Mordo, if him taking Pangborn's power adds to his own, it makes sense to start small so that power taken from each sorcerer makes facing the next sorcerer that much easier.

Though from a script sense and the POV of the audience, Pangborn is also the only person left other than Wong to be a victim of Mordo to set up a sequel. Can't use Strange himself, Ancient One is dead, and nobody else is a named character or even recognizable enough to use.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gatts posted:

Plus he's going to be without the eye of Agamotto when Thanos takes the gem.

Really not looking forward to Vision dying. Like he'll either be ripped apart or he'll fall over dead like Switch in The Matrix.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jedit posted:

I would think that Infinity War will focus on Thanos having almost all the Stones, and the Avengers suddenly realising that the Vision has the last one in his head.

Moments before Thanos walks up and:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The other doctor is a villain in the comics so if they do end up going that route I guess you could say retroactively that the bad guy doctor is not how most doctors are.

I doubt they're going that route though, based on how the movie played out and because there are way bigger villains to get through before getting to him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's pissed for a number of reasons. The Ancient One was using the power of the Dark Dimension to prolong her life while making the act of drawing power from the Dark Dimension verboten so she's a big hypocrite, and a selfish one if you don't believe she was doing it for good reason. Using the Dark Dimension also had the potential of drawing Dormammu to Earth, and Mordo explicitly lays this blame of Dormammu's arrival on the Ancient One. "Natural law" is a strange phrase because clearly Mordo does not have a problem with sorcery generally loving with physics or space, but screwing with time is way beyond normal sorcery and will supposedly have grave consequences, so he's pissed at that. Strange used time to win the day but wouldn't have had to unless the Ancient One inadvertently led to Kaecilius' betrayal and Dormammu's arrival so it's all intertwined.

I think what Pangborn was doing was ok at first, but Mordo realizes that no sorcerers other than him can be trusted and so Pangborn has to go. Having fewer sorcerers will open up Earth to other threats, but he believes that Earth was almost lost to the Dark Dimension because of the Ancient One and her disciples so getting rid of them doesn't seem any more dangerous than having them around.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ravenfood posted:

And maybe I misread how he set up that (ending) time loop, but I didn't think he was abusing "save-states" or anything like I'd thought he would. Instead, I read it as a loop that Dormammu percieved that Strange couldn't, so as far as the Strange at the end of the movie knows, he walked into Dormammu's realm, heard Dormammu scream about making it stop, and knew that his plan had already succeeded over the multiple loops. So end!Strange didn't actually die brutally over and over again, but he did know that all of the other Stranges that existed in that time loop had. Does that make any sense?

Mostly. Kind of like how in The Prestige, the Strange who succeeds is not the one who has to deal with any of the pain or death of the process but I think it's a bit misleading or confusing to say "all of the other Stranges". If this is a time loop, it was only ever the one Strange and he did die over and over again but without remembering it because the experience and memories were reversed/erased. I think Dormammu would be like the viewer of a movie who sees an actor walk through a door. If Dormammu keeps rewinding over and over, he sees time reverse and replay out the same way but the actor only ever perceived walking through the door once but he's aware that home viewers might endlessly rewind and replay his performance. Except in this case, the actor is the one who chose to make the movie rewind. Dormammu's dimension is like how our dimension exists outside the dimension of a movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I got the impression that Strange set up a time limit on his loop, giving himself X minutes to find and talk with Dormammu. If Dormammu killed Strange or just turned around and went about his business, he'd find himself back where he started Groundhog Day-style once Strange's loop expired. Only Strange, with control of the Eye, could stop the loop. It wasn't an active thing that Strange had to maintain otherwise it'd be broken as soon as he was attacked or killed. He programmed a loop in the universe's code.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The confusing part about the apple was when he moved time forward and more bites were taken out of it. Who continued to eat the apple, and when?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

By playing with time, he tapped into a timeline where he continued to eat the apple instead of playing with time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vorgen posted:

This is the most computer game movie ever. Dr. Strange savescummed saving the world! Hah!

I think that prize still goes to Edge of Tomorrow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

It was Metatron's first chair. Picked it up off of SpaceCraigslist.

"Hey Darkseid, you want my old chair? Sell it to you for cheap."
"Nah, you know I'm all about the couches, dude."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe that page isn't the funniest thing of all time, to each his own, but it also doesn't strike me as particularly Tumblr-ish. Like once he got the money he didn't say "now I can buy all the things!" or something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Sling Ring portals looked so similar to something I had seen before and I couldn't place it until now:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Always loved this little interview snippet. Have never figured out if Mads is angry or just having a bit of wry fun because him being deadpan is that intimidating. Look at that poker face in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVBAhciBtxA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Other than having those trophies and awards in his apartment dated as 2016, it's just much easier to assume the movie takes place over a longer/earlier period.

• Locked thread