Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

XavierGenisi posted:

And wow, I remember there being a silly naming scheme for the Thirstquencher Empire, but I did not remember Fuher Flatski. That's...quite a name and title alright.

Nothing is worst than a flat soda (Tequila).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #6

The spookiest of chapters on this the spookiest of months, October December!

Also I've changed the beginning of the chapter for reasons I no longer remember.

The Vambee Arc Part 1

Misc. Artwork
Chapter 3 Cover

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 7, 2017

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Vambee is a pretty excellent name, I have to admit.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
Nice to see this game getting LPed. It’s one of those games that I played many times but only beaten a few times. I’ve found myself getting lost a lot and losing health more to misplaced jumps than to enemy attacks. Also, would forget which event flags I did or didn’t activate which leads to more backtracking. I still find the game to be a fun late 90s Square game.

Vambees just seem like mindless vampires.

I have gotten to Misteria just after 7 which is very annoying.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys a good 2.5D platformer. My personal favorites were Kirby 64, Tomba 2, Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3, Pac-Man World, and finally Threads of Fate thought that last one was technically an action RPG set in a largely 2.5D world.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
This is probably the most laid-back evil plot I've ever seen. It's cool, just go for a shamble and maybe bite somebody.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Skippy Granola posted:

This is probably the most laid-back evil plot I've ever seen. It's cool, just go for a shamble and maybe bite somebody.

The twist is going to be when we find out the real plan was to scare the farmers into never working the fields again. Thirstquencher's just trying to starve them out.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Seems elaborate to me. With those lazy farmers you'd just have to tack up a sign reading It's Break Time and you'd never see them again.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Vampires, zombies... why not both?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh no, not VAMBEES! :cry:

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
I borrowed this game all the time from my friend because he hated it. There was something about it that just kept me coming back to it. Steamwood was the worst.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #7

Tim is running out of time, and Hotelo hasn't returned with Auqalin. Can Musashi reach the top of Twinpeak Mountain in a mere 12 HOURS!? Find out!!

The Vambee Arc Part 2

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
They barely even try to pretend that the Baker wants in for anything other than booze. Though I wonder if his obsession with Porkchops was decided by the dev team or the translators... Eh, late 90's game, so probably translators. Honestly, between that and the "sodapop" bottles of the owner, were they really fooling anyone?

Cador_2004 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 22, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, we've had other instances of getting Drunk on Milk before such as an anime where a goddess gets drunk on soda (and before you ask no that's not a localization thing; actual alcohol has no effect on her), a game where a genie gets drunk from eating mint to the point that he's berated for it by his master, and even Spongebob Squarepants got plastered after going on an ice cream bender in his first movie so I doubt anyone who wasn't already aware of the trope Frothy Mugs of Water would care whether or not it was actually booze censorship like the localization of the Thirstquencher Empire.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 22, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

See also Phoenix Wright and his love of 'grape juice,' which in the original Japanese was actually... also grape juice, it turned out. It's a gag.

Nice to see this game getting some love in any case. The Vambee arc drags on too long, but that's honestly the worst thing I can say about it. (Steamwood never gave me much trouble for some reason.)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
This game has really, really nice music.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #8

Deep within the restaurant's basement lies an evil most foul; and Musashi intents to rid that evil from this world. However before he can do that, Musashi must go through four trials to unlock the Door of Eyes.

Also since it's the end of the year I figured why not have back to back episodes. That way we can cover all of the dungeon that's available right now. and move ever so closer to finishing chapter 3.

The Vambee Source? Let's Explore the Restaurant Basement! Part 1
The Vambee Source? Let's Explore the Restaurant Basement! Part 2

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Prepare for Qs? Oh great, John de Lancie's gonna mock us for every gently caress up we make in ths dungeon.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
At least the flying vambees weren't on fire.
I remember picking the wrong teleporter repeatedly so the dungeon felt much longer.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm sure all the treasure in this game can't be worthless arcade junk, right? Maybe you'll get something awesome, like a cloak that lets you turn into a vambee at will.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #9

First Vambees now theives!? This has gotta be Musashi's worst week ever. Also the Thirstquencher Empire is finally getting involved in this chapter.

Enter Bubbles, 2nd Place Miss Thirstquencher!

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 13, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Water Scroll is best scroll. It's pretty much my default equip unless I'm actually using another one, despite the utility of the Norm Scroll.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Vambee ambush doesn't kill you by dropping your HP. If they manage to gang up on you, it's just an outright Game Over. I think Musashi even has a unique scream for it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is where the game picks up a bit.
and I love all the bits where you get a bit indignant at junk

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
gently caress FFVII. When's Square remaking this?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Med School posted:

gently caress FFVII. When's Square remaking this?

Sadly I doubt this or Threads of Fate will ever get remakes which is sad cause I personally prefer these games over the FF franchise.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #10

Today Musashi does battle with the second crest guardian and finally puts an end to this chapter. Here's a link to the battle theme. It's really good!

Also I have a poll I need ya'll to vote on concerning what to turn the L-cloth into --It's closed--

Showdown with The Fire God! Don't Get Cooked Musashi!!
Bonus Video #2

Library Books
The Empire
(I'm leaving out the Shogi book as we'll refer to it in the next chapter.)

Misc. Artwork
Relic Keeper
Relic Keeper Boss fight Concept Art

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 7, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The reason for Salmonelli's rant is because tasters test to make sure food is safe to eat. Specifically, their job is to ensure that people of importance don't die do to crappy food preparation or deliberate poisoning.

Ironically his name is derived from Salmonella, a bacteria that is notorious for its relation to food poisoning.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Speaking of things never noticed until now, I just realized that the entry into the castle from the village is the hole the mech made in the beginning. All this time I thought it was actually the castle gate.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Okay, I've corrected the empire book and reuploaded the bonus video to correct some mislabeling. This is what I get for not paying attention.

Also, I should probably set a cutoff date for the poll. Let's say, uh, you've got until the 30th to cast your vote.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Chimera-gui posted:

The reason for Salmonelli's rant is because tasters test to make sure food is safe to eat. Specifically, their job is to ensure that people of importance don't die do to crappy food preparation or deliberate poisoning.

Ironically his name is derived from Salmonella, a bacteria that is notorious for its relation to food poisoning.

Hypothetical question, if a food taster has resistance/immunity to poison, how would they know if the food's been poisoned?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hypothetical question, if a food taster has resistance/immunity to poison, how would they know if the food's been poisoned?

Technically speaking, mithridatism's not actually possible do to the nature of certain toxins as well as how they are processed by the body and can actually result in a lethal accumulation of the poison in question in the body thus it's not guaranteed to work against all types of poison assuming that it even works in the first place. Exposure to certain toxic substances such as heavy metals is always going to be either lethal or have little to no effect and as such cannot be used in this way at all.

The only practical use of mithridatism I've found are with people who work with venomous animal do to the key difference between venom and poison. The most famous example of this being Bill Haast who became immune to most snake venom by injecting himself with diluted venom over a period of time which was good as he had garnered 172 bites over the course of his lifetime and had even survived a blue krait bite, something that not even he thought was possible while his blood has been used to help more than 20 snake-bite victims before his death at 100 years of age.

Supposedly it also works as a treatment to food allergies, specifically the allergy to peanuts.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 25, 2017

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Also of course, if the poison is slow-acting then it might slip by simply because the taster doesn't keel over immediately.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
:doh:

Princess, why?!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #11

Today marks the start of a new chapter, and it's one heck of a start as Musashi is offered the opportunity of a lifetime. Can Musashi handle the heavy responsibilities of being mayor? Probably not.

Musashi, Mayor? Let's Fix Up the Village!

Misc. Artwork
Chapter 4 Cover

Characters

Ben & Ed
The jerks who stole the church bell. Might be involved with the Thirstquencher Empire.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 7, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Congratulations Musashi, you are now a Digimon protagonist.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
I was quite relieved when Musashi didn't make fun of that guy's stutter.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Added a character profile for Ben and Ed, though their in-manual description is a tiny bit spoilery so for now I'm just gonna mention that they stole the bell and that they might be apart of the Thirstquencher Empire.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

JEBOman posted:

I was quite relieved when Musashi didn't make fun of that guy's stutter.

Musashi's a good guy - all he wants to do is go home

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Chimera-gui posted:

Congratulations Musashi, you are now a Digimon protagonist.
I'm glad someone else thought the same thing I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Oh poo poo, I just got the joke. Ha, googles.

Also,

I put in an order for the strategy guide. Not because I need it cause I already have it on pdf; but because I want to have some high-res scans of the art in that book. So look forward to that soon.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 10, 2017

• Locked thread