Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #12

Things are not looking good for Grillin' Village as everything is on fire! Can Musashi save everyone before they're burnt to a crisp?

Sorry about the audio in this update. I got a new mic, and I'm still playing around with it to get the right settings. Also the strategy guide arrived earlier this week, so I'll try to scan and clean up some interesting stuff in it. And I'll be adding them to the second post over the next few weeks so be on the look out for that.

Duel at the Island of Dragons. Enter Kojiro, the Rival.

Characters

Kojiro
Kojiro is a mysterious swordsman summoned into the world of Allucaneet by Princess Fillet's second Hero Summon spell. It appears that Kojiro has some old gripes to settle with Musashi, and will stop at nothing (including joining Thirstquencher's efforts) until he has the ability to challenge Musashi to a good, old-fashioned duel.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Just wanted to say that:

1. You've convinced me to pick this game back up again. I started it about a year ago after not having played it since it came out. I finished Steamwood after 2 days of dying to the stupid jumps on the top floor, and I think that's as far as I got. My wife's going out of town for 2 weeks in a few days so I'll have to pick it back up again.

2. This game has great music.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
I don't think I ever absorbed Kojiro's power, I always assumed he was immune to that. I still find it a bit awkward how Musashi reads the choices you make exactly as written it I don't know of any other game that did that.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Okay, the first wave of artwork has been added to the OP. Here's a list of everything added.

Jon & Leno
A wandering treasure hunter, Jon travels the world with his loyal dog, Leno. Musashi first runs into Jon during his quest to find the Five Scrolls, but only receives information concerning the different pieces of Legendary Armor. Musashi can rely on Jon for important information throughout his journey, but how does Jon know so much? Isn't he just a treasure hunter?

Misc. Artwork
Chapter 1 Cover
Musashi Concept Art
Princess Fillet meets Musashi
Alchemist Leanman Concept Art
Steam Knight
Chapter 2 Cover
Skullpion
Chapter 3 Cover
Relic Keeper
Relic Keeper Boss fight Concept Art
Chapter 4 Cover

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 29, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, that's a blatantly obvious imposter.

At least she has the personality down, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh my god is Ribson's abuse of ye olde Englishe getting worse or is it just me? I expect him to be completely unintelligible by the end of the next chapter.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #13

The search for the thieves' hideout is underway. The only problem is, Musashi doesn't have a clue where to start looking! Luckily, the palace's mercenaries have a lead that could help Musashi, but it's a coded message! Can Musashi decode this cryptic message or will it be checkmate for Musashi? Find out today!

Also sorry for taking so long on this update. Lots of real life stuff got in the way of me working on this as well as my usual laziness. So to make up for over a month with no content, have a second video to cap off Chapter 4.

The Ultimate Move! Let's Find the Thieves' Hideout!! Part 1
The Ultimate Move! Let's Find the Thieves' Hideout!! Part 2

Library Books
Let's Play Shogi!

Misc. Artwork
Frost Dragon

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
Really looking forward to watching these. They're the highlight of my work day when you post new ones :unsmith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yes, I really enjoy watching these videos, and when I do I'm often struck by how much effort you're clearly putting into them. They're good! Thanks for making entertainment for us.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
This is just bringing back all kinds of memories for me. I remember playing Musashi after school every day. It was pretty tops.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Shouting at and potentially insulting the first person you see when infiltrating a secret hideout wouldn't be my first course of action but you do you Musashi.

Glad the LP's back.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Happy to see another BFM LP after the last one died off. I loved this game as a kid and it's still charming to this day. It holds up pretty well to the test of time, all things considered. I also really like Combat Lobster's approach to the LP, feels more narrative and engaging than a lot of others. I also appreciate the editing work done throughout, like Kurt's toy update and the training montage. Looking forward to the rest!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #14

Today marks the start of a new chapter, but things aren't looking too good for Grillin' Village. Will they ever catch a break? Meanwhile, Fores once again proves that he's fully capable of maintaining Steamwood.

A New Crisis? The Princess Visits the Village!

Misc. Artwork
Chapter 5 Cover

Charaters

Tim & Mint

The son of Hilda (owner of the Grocery Shop), Tim (left) is a rambunctious boy with a lot of big ambitions. His dream of conquering big adventures lands him in sticky situations on occasion. The daughter of Hotelo, Mint (right) is Tim's loyal friend and join him in his adventures.

Mayor McGoven
Grillin' Village's leader, Mayor McGoven always has a task for Musashi to complete. Although at times it may seem that he leans on Musashi too much, his concern for his village is genuine.

Ben, Ed, & Topo (Leader's Force)
Topo (Right), the mouse-eared dancer, loves raves music and declares herself the leader of the trio. Ed (middle) and Ben (left) also claim to be the head of Leader's Force, but instead of dance parties, they prefer to steal precious items from Allucaneet's citizens.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Good ol' reliable Fores.

Reliably passing the buck onto Musashi.

At least he isn't taking credit.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #15

With the money crisis averted, Musashi continues his search for the next scroll; but where the heck is it!? Meanwhile a new problem is on the rise, and its name starts with a 'P' and ends with 'soup'. Also a new toy update.

Again, sorry for taking so long to get this update out. Luckily the school semester is over so I won't have constant assignment deadlines looming over my head while I work on this. During this time between updates, I gave Musashi: Samurai Legends another try in hopes it would emulate better, it doesn't, and all I took away from it was a itch to make an AMV of all things. (See below.)

Damp Tunnels? Let's Find the Next Scroll!
Bonus Video #3
Bonus Video #4: Musashi Electric Legends

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Yeah...this is the point where the game just jumps off the rails. This is also the lowest point of the game for me, it's just dull.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This is also the part where I go from remembering bits and pieces to remembering absolutely nothing. I remember the beginning and end pretty well but as the game progresses up until probably the last dungeon I remember less and less.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Samurai Legend Musashi is absolutely awful but it has one of my favorite OSTs.

It's very unfortunate a game so undeserving has such a bitchin soundtrack wasted on it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ylZtDfO1iE

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Samurai Legend Musashi is absolutely awful but it has one of my favorite OSTs.

It's very unfortunate a game so undeserving has such a bitchin soundtrack wasted on it :(

From what I've heard, it's mediocre at worst; but I still kinda wanna experience it myself. At least enough of it up to the motorbike part.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 12, 2017

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Combat Lobster posted:

From what I've heard, it's mediocre at worst; but I still kinda wanna experience it myself. At least enough of it up to the motorbike part.

iirc, the motorbike segment is in like the first hour of the game and never again.

I actually liked MSL, bit it is nowhere near as good as BFM

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Not exactly related to the game, but seeing this triggered some memory I had and I finally found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyVY8pjKOno&t=98s

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #16

Welcome back to Brave Fencer Musashi! Last time, the Gondola Office was under attack by a giant ant! Luckily, Musashi used some lateral thinking to do significant damage to the monster. Severely wounded, the ant retreats to a nearby vent and barely escapes. Musashi decides to follow it to ensure that it won't be coming back anytime soon. What lies at bottom of this ventilation shaft? Find out today!

A Horrible Infestation! Let's Battle in the Abandoned Mine!

Misc. Artwork
Queen Ant

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That sure was a disappointing gimmick dungeon.

They could have at least had the gimmick in more than one room.

Also, that was a sweet mine cart section.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
I thought this dungeon was the poo poo when I was a little kid. I guess I might have been too focused on the ~SWEETASTIC SPINNING POWER~ of the Wind Scroll.

I must have spent hours just... Charging it up and pinwheeling into enemies. It was fun. Even if it kind of wasn't very effective.

Stormgear fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 17, 2017

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #17

Today is the beginning of the end as we move into the final chapter. Things are gonna really ramp up as Musashi throws down with Thirstquencher Empire one last time in hopes of saving the Princess. But before we get into any of that Musashi still needs to find the final scroll and complete Lumina. Where could the Sky scroll be hiding? Find out right now!

Musashi Takes to the Skies! Let's Find the Last Scroll!!

Misc. Artwork
Chapter 6 cover
Soda Fountain

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Combat Lobster posted:

Update #17

Today is the beginning of the end as we move into the final chapter. Things are gonna really ramp up as Musashi throws down with Thirstquencher Empire one last time in hopes of saving the Princess. But before we get into any of that Musashi still needs to find the final scroll and complete Lumina. Where could the Sky scroll be hiding? Find out right now!

Musashi Takes to the Skies! Let's Find the Last Scroll!!

Misc. Artwork
Chapter 6 cover
Soda Fountain

Somehow I never realized as a kid that the rain was only because the floating island(?) was over Steamwood Forest at that specific time. As far as safeguards for the scrolls go, you can't beat having it up in the sky like that.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
It sure was nice of Jon to use the red text warn Musashi about this being the point of no return.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I remember loving the poo poo out of the endgame of this game so hard as a kid. It's so climactic. everything explodes. I would just play the final level over and over showing to all my friends...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love how Musashi apparently just sleeps literally anywhere, instead of in the room in the castle specifically prepared for him. Nope, that's for storing and playing with all his toys. He's like kid Goku.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #18

Musashi begins his assault on Thirstquencher's Soda Fountain! Today, he navigates the lower areas, and even has a run-in with Leader's Force. Will Musashi come out victorious, or will this lead to his demise? Find out right now!

Also, the two remaining updates are gonna come out a little quicker than usual as I've already recorded most of the footage (minus some B-roll) for those videos.

Attack on Soda Fountain! Musashi Vs. Leader's Force!! Part 1

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 4, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ben's death (and his name) are a reference to the tale of Benkei, a Japanese warrior-monk most famous for the manner of his death. He died standing on his feet, shot full of arrows by enemies too scared to set foot on the bridge he was defending and face him in melee. They just kept shooting him, and he kept standing there, until long after he'd died. Eventually somebody was smart enough (or brave enough) to go check and see what was going on, and he just keeled over at that point. "The Standing Death of Benkei" is a popular tale often referenced in Japanese media.

Ed's VA does a good job of selling his stutter.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #19

After running through some puzzle mazes, Musashi works his way to the Soda Fountain Courtyards where security is at its tightest. Musashi will have to fight through wave after wave of Thirstquencher's strongest in hopes of reaching the Princess. Will he make it? Or is this the end for our hero?

Also LP curses amirite? Soon after posting the previous update I got really sick and couldn't record commentary. (I'm still a little sick now.) And unfortunately once I get sick it takes a good while before I even start to feel better. Anyways just wanted to let ya'll know what happened to me, and why I ended up sticking my foot in my mouth on saying updates would be quicker.

Attack on Soda Fountain! Musashi Vs. Leader's Force!! Part 2

Also, now that we've seen every common enemy in the game here's a bestiary to categorize all of them.

Bestiary
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 7, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You and my father both. Glad you are feeling better.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I was just wondering what happened yesterday. Glad you're ok!

We're finally back to a part of the game I remember. I'm not sure why but I remember it took me an embarrassingly long time to beat this part. I think I was trying to play it like Simon where the timing doesn't matter and it took me a while to figure out you have to do the moves in time with the song. Of course that was almost 20 years ago, so who knows.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #20

With the defeat of Leader's Force, nothing else stands in Musashi's way except Flatski and his right-hand man, Capricciola. Soon after her defeat, Topo mentioned that the final Chest Guardian can be found here in Soda Fountain. But the million Dran question has to be, "What exactly does the Thristquencher Empire want with Lumina, and why would they actively help Musashi complete it?" This hero's adventure is coming to a close, but what twists and turns still remain in store for Musashi? Find out right now!

And with that, this LP is finished. In the end, I still adore this game for what it is. A fun and robust game with a simple and easy to follow story that doesn't takes itself too seriously. Thank you everyone who has stuck around for as long as it took for me to put this whole thing together. It's been a blast.

The Legendary Brave Fencer Musashi
Bonus Video #5
Bonus Video #6

Misc. Artwork
Flatski
King Allucaneet
Queen Allucaneet
Credits Art #1
Credits Art #2
Credits Art #3
Credits Art #4
Credits Art #5
Credits Art #6
Credits Art #7
Credits Art #8
Credits Art #9
Credits Art #10
Credits Art #11
Credits Art #12

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh wow, the game actually acknowledged that tasters tend to have short life spans for the reasons I had mentioned earlier in the thread.

I do like that that figures look like something that could exist though obviously the action features would be omitted completely.

Thanks for doing this LP, this was fun.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for finishing this awesome LP of Musashi!

Apologies for the rushed quality of this thing, I wasn't sure when you'd put out the last update and I'm also putting this in spoilers for those who haven't seen last video(s):

Hey, Musashi had to do something with all those dolls action figures he's been collecting.

Once again, thanks for all the nostalgia and good luck with your future LP endeavors!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Daigerus posted:

Thanks for finishing this awesome LP of Musashi!

Apologies for the rushed quality of this thing, I wasn't sure when you'd put out the last update and I'm also putting this in spoilers for those who haven't seen last video(s):
--fanart--

Once again, thanks for all the nostalgia and good luck with your future LP endeavors!

Aw neato, my first fanart! This actually reminds me of an earlier draft of the LP where I wanted to show off the toys by animating them in 'cool' set pieces like having Toy Rootrick stand on Steam Knight's shoulder while having a staredown with toy Musashi, but I didn't plan it out any further than that.

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
I really wish I finished this game as a kid. Thanks for taking us through it, it was a super rad LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My son got super excited watching that final battle. Very nice LP. Thank you.

• Locked thread