Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I like this post and think it is a good post.

I've been commuting by scooter for 12+ years, and I've come to the same conclusions.

Years ago, I realized that any time I had more than 1 "close call" (any emergency use of advanced skills, as you put it) in, say, 3 months, it was my fault. It wasn't my fault that other vehicle swerved or stopped suddenly for no visible reason or whatever, but it was my fault that it was close. So I'd have a little sit-down with myself and figure out what had shifted in my mentality towards riding. What change allowed this to happen? Was I distracted? Was I complacent? Was I impatient and riding too fast for the environment? I'd figure it out, and I'd kick that to the curb.

The key is this: You have no control over other people's behavior. You only have control over how you react. And if you anticipate correctly, and prepare accordingly, you don't even have to react.

It's real zen z3n riding. poo poo happens around you, but you just keep rolling forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My biggest breakthrough was similar to GND's with an added pinch of anger management. Mid-20's Jim Silly Balls would let drivers know they hosed up with extreme prejudice.

That really didn't help anything. It made drivers more skittish and generally raised the level of danger for everyone. Now I'll maybe do the "point at my eyes, then at the road" thing to people and that's it.

Commuting 70 miles round trip every day has really taught me that it's best to not rock the boat, traffic-wise

Mostly just slow head shakes and thumbs-downs from me now.

• Locked thread