Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I heard it during the debate, and now I keep hearing about it in the news. It's not like during the republican primary where they were worried he would gently caress up their vote by running third party, if he loses the election he's lost the election. It's not like he has a private army ready to march on Washington if the results aren't in their favor. Why even ask the question, or care about the answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I mean, if I was the losing candidate, I wouldn't concede until my team of bodyguards was wiped out by my opponent's team of assassins either, I thought that was how our elections worked

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The MSM say they're horrified at the idea that he wouldn't concede if he lost, but really they'd love it so they could keep printing headlines. They all know he's already lost and they're just trying to egg him on.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Nobody cares tbh

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

reallivedinosaur posted:

Nobody cares tbh

Well that's not true I care

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Idiot revolution means a lot of wasted bullets

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Because the implication is that he's not accepting the result because he thinks it was rigged/stolen/etc by Hillary/the Left/the media, a thing for which while he has no evidence many may still believe and serves to undermine public confidence in the electoral process and by proxy, the institution of government.

One fundamental tenet of a democratic system is that while Your Side might lose, they lost fairly because a majority of the (voters/citizens/states/etc) wanted something different and voted as such - Take that away and it all falls apart.

If he just refuses to admit losing because he's a pissy little child, no-one gives a poo poo.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Well that's not true I care

i said nobody - thats you

lmao private army

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Serak posted:

Because the implication is that he's not accepting the result because he thinks it was rigged/stolen/etc by Hillary/the Left/the media, a thing for which while he has no evidence many may still believe and serves to undermine public confidence in the electoral process and by proxy, the institution of government.

One fundamental tenet of a democratic system is that while Your Side might lose, they lost fairly because a majority of the (voters/citizens/states/etc) wanted something different and voted as such - Take that away and it all falls apart.

If he just refuses to admit losing because he's a pissy little child, no-one gives a poo poo.

Well, it's true though the whole process is rigged but the nation is willing to accept it so who cares what he says

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
If Trump's supporters view the outcome of the election as illegitimate then, having access to no recourse within the confines of the law, they may protest the result in ways that are socially undesirable.

I don't think it would be a huge issue if it came to that, in that I don't believe there will be riots like some people are so fond of predicting, but that's the reason it's generally considered bad form to do what Trump is doing.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the real question should be: will obama concede?? :arghfist::tinfoil:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Cnut the Great posted:

If Trump's supporters view the outcome of the election as illegitimate then, having access to no recourse within the confines of the law, they may protest the result in ways that are socially undesirable.

I don't think it would be a huge issue if it came to that, in that I don't believe there will be riots like some people are so fond of predicting, but that's the reason it's generally considered bad form to do what Trump is doing.

i hope trump wins that way we are guaranteed there will be no unrest or riots because hillary voters are know for their tolerance

i mean, just to be on the safe side, should vote trump

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People on both sides always whine that the system is rigged when they lose. Just look back at how democrats reacted to the gore/bush election. It's just weird to hear one of the candidates joining in on the whining.

It doesn't/shouldn't really matter though, and all the reports acting like hes calling for a revolution and undermining democracy or whatever are extremely overblown. He is just upset about losing and doesn't have the verbal filter to keep these fairly normal thoughts in his head since they make him look like a whiny child.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
what if it turns out he's actually literal hitler and instead of accepting the results he just disbands congress and also rolls in a sweet tank rush like in my red alert fan fictions

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People on both sides always whine that the system is rigged when they lose. Just look back at how democrats reacted to the gore/bush election. It's just weird to hear one of the candidates joining in on the whining.

Two if you count old man bernie, he was running ads in my area calling it a rigged system before it got proven by wikileaks that it was actually a rigged system

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

Everyone would be happier if he didn't.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Two if you count old man bernie, he was running ads in my area calling it a rigged system before it got proven by wikileaks that it was actually a rigged system

rigging votes is not the same as a media bias hth

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
It's a numbers game.

There's always nuts that hate government.

There's always nuts that love Donald.

If you take the intersection of those nut-spheres, and have Donald claim the government has failed...

Some nut with guns will think he can spark a revolution by killing people and Immortan Donald Trump will look at him with approval.

(Also if he doesn't admit it shortly after the election, he never will. That's just going to be annoying.)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's really dumb to ask any candidate in advance if, amid hypothetical election irregularities affecting the result, he would go on camera and say nice things to the person who benefited from them

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Just look back at how democrats reacted to the gore/bush election.

But the bush/gore election WAS rigged when the state gov unlawfully purged thousands of voters prior to the election, and in many other ways within the state of Florida.

What happened in 2000 was Gore technically won the election and was cheated out of it by Supreme Court fuckery so he graciously conceded the election. Because he is a decent human being and recognizes democracy is not a winner-take-all kind of game.

This is absolutely nothing like what will happen if trump loses. The republicans have wasted millions of taxpayer dollars in the last decade trying to prove organized voter fraud exists and it doesn't. It's just a racist code word for intimidation of minorities.

What bugs me most about this election cycle is the false equivalency. Grabbing women like bowling balls is not morally equivalent to deleting some emails.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
A representative democracy requires parties with different interests to cooperate in order to effectively legislate. Thus the leader of the losing party at least publicly makes NICE in order to confer the smooth transition of power.

But gently caress it I guess let's just burn this poo poo to the ground.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I am genuinely frightened for America because this political shitshow might not end in November

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

bad day posted:

What happened in 2000 was Gore technically won the election and was cheated out of it by Supreme Court fuckery so he graciously conceded the election. Because he is a decent human being and recognizes democracy is not a winner-take-all kind of game.
lmao if gore really wanted to be gracious and really didn't want the courts intervening, maybe he should have conceded election night and not petitioned them in the first place

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bad day posted:

I am genuinely frightened for America because this political shitshow might not end in November

midterms are going to be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
really the way the question was presented and followed up was stupid. trump in a rare instance of restraint said he would react according to circumstances. then the followup was "butbut we need a peaceful transition" as if they heard trump promise to call out the brownshirts

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bad day posted:

Yeah how horrifying, Trump is going to tweet at Hillary a bunch saying send her to jail, his supporters will continue hating her and maybe there will be a half-hearted riot or two after the election results are in, but the vast majority of people will grudgingly move on with life and blame her for everything that goes wrong just like they did the past 8 years with Obama.

Nobody is going to start an uprising against the government or whatever, if they were going to do that they would have done it already, so relax.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i think it would be fun to see a trump supporter insurrection put down in the streets

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Trump displayed contempt for the US' democratic system. If he DOES get elected, then he might do anything it takes to remain in power, and the country would be on its way to becoming a dictatorship. Far-fetched I know, but if a candidate won't accept election results, all bets are off.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah how horrifying, Trump is going to tweet at Hillary a bunch saying send her to jail, his supporters will continue hating her and maybe there will be a half-hearted riot or two after the election results are in, but the vast majority of people will grudgingly move on with life and blame her for everything that goes wrong just like they did the past 8 years with Obama.

Nobody is going to start an uprising against the government or whatever, if they were going to do that they would have done it already, so relax.

actually the dissolution of civil norms will accelerate, effective legislation will be increasingly impossible, and American governance itself will start to break down. this will happen soonish no matter what but trump is making it worse.

there will never be another 9th supreme court justice. poo poo is done.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fruits of the sea posted:

Trump displayed contempt for the US' democratic system. If he DOES get elected, then he might do anything it takes to remain in power, and the country would be on its way to becoming a dictatorship. Far-fetched I know, but if a candidate won't accept election results, all bets are off.

the black husserl posted:

actually the dissolution of civil norms will accelerate, effective legislation will be increasingly impossible, and American governance itself will start to break down. this will happen soonish no matter what but trump is making it worse.

there will never be another 9th supreme court justice. poo poo is done.
lmao get out this weekend, both of you

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Donald Trump can't stand riggers.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

really the way the question was presented and followed up was stupid. trump in a rare instance of restraint said he would react according to circumstances. then the followup was "butbut we need a peaceful transition" as if they heard trump promise to call out the brownshirts

Nah, that was pretty much trump calling to the lovely states' militias to take up arms if he doesn't win, were you even paying attention

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hopefully he doesnt concede and hillarys stormtroopers are going to have to start rounding up his supporters and shooting them out of hand because tbh theyre all really bad and democracy is for suckers

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

obama is gonna cancel the election just u wait

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

NotWearingPants posted:

Donald Trump can't stand riggers.

Don't get him started on naggers

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
We all really loved Game of Thrones, we loved NASCAR, and we loved other things. We'll keep that flow going and I'm actually hopeful how when automation takes over pretty much everything we will find a new way.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Nah, that was pretty much trump calling to the lovely states' militias to take up arms if he doesn't win, were you even paying attention
sorry i didnt go to the chris wallace school of proctological journalism

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He's threatening to file legal motions if he doesn't win. That could cause problems.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If it kicked off even a small amount of militia action it would have a very destabilizing effect on the country, not that I suspect these militia groups of being even slightly competent, but because even well deserved aggressive intervention to take them down will be met as a sign of Hillary's fascist bootheel coming down, causing a chain reaction of militia and lone wolf violence. Trump is the definitely the type to sweep the board to the floor when he ragequits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
look at that mess those dudes made over the land. they took over that government building for weeks. i imagine a lot more people and a lot more deranged people at that would be mad over this

that being said i dont think anything will actually happen

• Locked thread