Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Is there any interest any/have there been any attempts to create a written form of sign languages? As I understand it, the grammar and vocabulary doesn't really have that much to do with any of the local spoken languages, so it seems like essentially all your reading would need to occur in a non-native language otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Is there any interest any/have there been any attempts to create a written form of sign languages? As I understand it, the grammar and vocabulary doesn't really have that much to do with any of the local spoken languages, so it seems like essentially all your reading would need to occur in a non-native language otherwise.

I believe there have been several attempts to create a robust written script. However they are usually unable to accurately transpose the three dimensional grammar onto paper and do not see widespread adoption.

Because of that it seems better overall to use english to transmit meaning and disregard it's connection to spoken english

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

See Stokoe notation or SignWriting for some past attempts. It should be tolerably obvious why they failed.

• Locked thread