Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Brainiac Five posted:

But your argument is just axiomatically assuming raping, torturing, and murdering civilians at random served no military purpose. Which is just a neat sidestep around morality. If it could be shown that Red Army brutality reduced the likelihood of partisan activity more than it increased it, you would be unable to respond.
Except by finding an alternative solution to partisan activity that doesn't include rape, torture, and murder. Like actually carrying out a war of liberation in German held territories, rather than waging a war with a secondary objective of expanding Russian domination into the heart of Europe.

twodot posted:

I don't even understand what unconditional surrender is supposed to mean in a realpolitik sense. You can always un-surrender, the victor needs to offer conditions (even if they are implicit) to stop the loser from reneging, since they have no motivation to stay faithful to the surrender otherwise.
Surrender implies telling your dudes to lay down their arms, at which point your enemy can move in and make "un-surrender" pretty difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Surrender implies telling your dudes to lay down their arms, at which point your enemy can move in and make "un-surrender" pretty difficult.
I think you'll discover that dudes are relatively good at reacquiring arms, even if you actually want through the exercise of putting all of your arms in a pile.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Except by finding an alternative solution to partisan activity that doesn't include rape, torture, and murder. Like actually carrying out a war of liberation in German held territories, rather than waging a war with a secondary objective of expanding Russian domination into the heart of Europe.

Evidence that the mass brutality of Red Army troops was part of "expanding Russian domination into the heart of Europe" (not that this is an accurate depiction of why the USSR took the actions it did in Eastern and Central Europe) rather than something which happened because most Red Army officers were indifferent to brutality against Germans and "collaborators", or actively supported it as revenge, is, well, sparse as hell. It also conflicts with Stalin and the NKVD realizing the brutality was having a very negative effect, to say the least, and attempting to rein it in somewhat.

Anyways you dumbfuck the point is that "military expediency" is a poo poo approach to looking at these kinds of things.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

"The dismantlement of Hitler's government and the convening of war crimes trials" sounds like a surrender condition, which could easily have been part of a negotiated surrender. Having the Nazi government or Hitler personally take responsibility for the surrender? That's a surrender condition too. A lot can be accomplished with surrender conditions. Historically, a lot has - unconditional surrender demands are the exception, not the rule.

The Allied insistence for unconditional surrender no matter what was actually a huge help to Hitler's government - it dissuaded potential mutinies and rebellions by promising that overthrowing Hitler's government wouldn't change Germany's treatment at the hands of the Allies, and was a huge boon to German propaganda efforts portraying the Allies as bent on destroying Germany as a whole rather than just the Nazi government. By all accounts, Goebbels was a huge fan of the "unconditional surrender" demand - he thought it was a huge boon to the war effort and would help to rally Germans behind the Nazi government.

Do you think the Allies should have occupied Germany at the end of the war? Do you think it was bad that both the FDR and the DDR (for all its other flaws) explicitly disavowed not only Nazism but the German-supremacist beliefs that underpinned it?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

twodot posted:

I strongly suspect the Axis winning the war would have resulted in more civilian deaths than what actually happened.
edit:
It's VikingSkull that's suggesting that winning the war required us to kill more civilians than the Axis would.

It's a good thing that the Allies didn't kill more civilians than the Axis did, then!

Do you actually know anything about WWII? Anything at all?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

It's a good thing that the Allies didn't kill more civilians than the Axis did, then!

Do you actually know anything about WWII? Anything at all?
If you believe this, then you should think that winning the war was the action that resulted in less civilian deaths, then why did you say me thinking that we should choose actions that minimize civilians deaths is tantamount to saying we should have lost the war?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Do you think the Allies should have occupied Germany at the end of the war? Do you think it was bad that both the FDR and the DDR (for all its other flaws) explicitly disavowed not only Nazism but the German-supremacist beliefs that underpinned it?

I don't see where Nazism is implied there. You seem to be an inquisitor under Torquemada, demanding conversos confess to secretly practicing Islam or Judaism, unwilling to concede they might be telling the truth when they deny it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

twodot posted:

If you believe this, then you should think that winning the war was the action that resulted in less civilian deaths, then why did you say me thinking that we should choose actions that minimize civilians deaths is tantamount to saying we should have lost the war?

Well, you said that in response to my post saying "the US tried to minimize civilians casualties and it was eroding our capability to prosecute the war".

Do you actually have an idea as to what the Allies could have done to minimize civilian casualties?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Well, you said that in response to my post saying "the US tried to minimize civilians casualties and it was eroding our capability to prosecute the war".

Do you actually have an idea as to what the Allies could have done to minimize civilian casualties?
How can minimizing civilians casualties erode our capability to prosecute war if successfully prosecuting the war minimizes casualties?

I've already put forward "not firebomb Dresden", but since you've asked again I'll add "not firebomb Tokyo". It really should not be in dispute that the Allies could have killed less civilians than they did.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

twodot posted:

How can minimizing civilians casualties erode our capability to prosecute war if successfully prosecuting the war minimizes casualties?

I've already put forward "not firebomb Dresden", but since you've asked again I'll add "not firebomb Tokyo". It really should not be in dispute that the Allies could have killed less civilians than they did.

Yeah I get it I'm a terrible barbarian, but I need something a bit more in depth than "not firebomb two cities". I've made multiple posts in this thread calling the firebombings warcrimes.

e- The number of Holocaust survivors dwarfs the number of German civilians who were killed in Allied bombing raids. So if the Allies never bombed Germany at all, you wouldn't have exactly "saved" more civilians, now would you?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 28, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

twodot posted:

I think you'll discover that dudes are relatively good at reacquiring arms, even if you actually want through the exercise of putting all of your arms in a pile.
Not if all those arms are being guarded by dudes already holding arms, while the dudes that used to hold them are being kept prisoners...

Brainiac Five posted:

Evidence that the mass brutality of Red Army troops was part of "expanding Russian domination into the heart of Europe" (not that this is an accurate depiction of why the USSR took the actions it did in Eastern and Central Europe) rather than something which happened because most Red Army officers were indifferent to brutality against Germans and "collaborators", or actively supported it as revenge, is, well, sparse as hell. It also conflicts with Stalin and the NKVD realizing the brutality was having a very negative effect, to say the least, and attempting to rein it in somewhat.
What do you think would be an accurate depiction? In any case, I never claimed it was. What I'm saying is that if the Soviets had chosen to simply liberate Eastern/Central Europe, there would have been little to no anti-Soviet partisan activity, which means "rapes, torture, and murder" couldn't even be justified as a "military expediency" to end the war, because the only reason it would be needed would be because they were essentially carrying out a war of aggression in parallel with their ending the German's war of aggression.

Brainiac Five posted:

Anyways you dumbfuck the point is that "military expediency" is a poo poo approach to looking at these kinds of things.
Relax dude. Anyway, where do you see anyone arguing "military expediency" alone? fivergears4reverse´s argument even states that it serves "no positive end", meaning the end goal is pretty relevant too. Hence my point about anti-partisan activities being "necessitated" by the Soviet end goal, which was dominance in Eastern Europe.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There would have been no German partisan activity against the USSR if they had announced they were liberating Germany from Germans? What is wrong with you?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't see where Nazism is implied there. You seem to be an inquisitor under Torquemada, demanding conversos confess to secretly practicing Islam or Judaism, unwilling to concede they might be telling the truth when they deny it.

You seem to have a poorly managed mental illness. It would be interesting to know how Main Paineframe's imagined post-war settlement (in Germany or Japan) would differ from what unconditional surrender enabled.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

You seem to have a poorly managed mental illness. It would be interesting to know how Main Paineframe's imagined post-war settlement (in Germany or Japan) would differ from what unconditional surrender enabled.

It would also be interesting if people such as you were to say what they meant directly instead of engaging in pointless attempts at obfuscation. It would be grand indeed if such wickedness were refrained from.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

In general? No, although there were certainly some aspects of the Allied occupation that deserved criticism. But it's not like either of those things required unconditional surrender to accomplish.

And rather than looking just at what did happen, it's illustrative to look at what almost happened when considering the wisdom of the unconditional surrender demand. If not for the Cold War and the need for a strong West Germany as an ally against the Soviets, Germany would have been heavily deindustrialized, it's factories dismantled and destroyed, the Ruhr and other industrial areas annexed to its neighbors, its trade restricted, it's economy torn back down to Great Depression levels, and essentially reduced to subsistence agriculture and selling off its natural resources for food imports. Things like that are why it's worth challenging the reasonableness of "unconditional surrender" - when the Germans and Japanese agreed to our demands for what was essentially a blank check, it could have turned out a lot worse for them, and it almost did.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've already explained the reasoning for unconditional surrender - getting an unconditional surrender from the military authorities establishes, in the minds of every single person, civilian or otherwise, that the defeat of the opposing nation was absolute & irreversible. There is no possibility of another 'stab in the back' myth. Anything less could have given the impression, that the allies were 'forced' to the negotiating table, and/or that the military wasn't defeated. To demand unconditional surrender, and then treat then like most other defeated nations, means that that treatment is a matter of mercy, not respect/fear. That's a big & important difference.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 29, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
RIP Brainiac Five, committed one too many forums crimes and was forced into an unconditional surrender

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

There would have been no German partisan activity against the USSR if they had announced they were liberating Germany from Germans? What is wrong with you?
German partisan activity consisted of German troops who had failed to retreat fast enough joining anti-Soviet partisans in the countries about to be reconquered/puppeted by the Soviets, rather than actual pro-German partisan activities. Take away the reason for those anti-Soviet partisans, and you take away those Germans' ability to join a partisan outfit.

VikingSkull posted:

RIP Brainiac Five, committed one too many forums crimes and was forced into an unconditional surrender
We've all unconditionally surrendered to the authority of the Something Awful mod team. We can do naught but hope that they show us mercy, despite our multitude of forum crimes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This obsession with unconditional surrender makes no sense. If your bare minimum preliminary conditions for surrender are already the worst case scenario for the defeated party, then there's no difference between a negotiated peace and an unconditional surrender.

Maybe the Allies should have said, yo, we won't kill the Emperor, chill out, but that's about it.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imo the nazis should've been engaged by the western allies only via honour duels between allied and nazi leaders, bc I am an antiwar activist

Oh uh, but, the soviets were fighting the good fight. Ugh yes yes ugh rape those fash. AND BTW THEY HAD SWELL AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT CAPABILITY

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 29, 2016

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Fojar38 posted:

ITT we unironically argue that the Axis should have won the war

I think at the very least, regardless of who wins the war both sides should have to answer for the war crimes they commit after the fact, or at least recognize the injustice faced by their victims. If our leaders and historians came forth and said "yeah we knowingly committed war crimes in order to win. We coldly calculated the options and chose what we thought was best at the time. But that still included war crimes and thus is not just, so we're not going to gloat about it like overgrown schoolyard bullies."

Instead people become hyper defensive and blame the victims. Or worse yet, we concoct absurd claims about how we were actually acting in the interest of the victims (lol). There's a total lack of introspection on the part of the winners. You don't have to lose the war, but if you have commit war crimes to do it, you should be prepared to lose face.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I think at the very least, regardless of who wins the war both sides should have to answer for the war crimes they commit after the fact, or at least recognize the injustice faced by their victims. If our leaders and historians came forth and said "yeah we knowingly committed war crimes in order to win. We coldly calculated the options and chose what we thought was best at the time. But that still included war crimes and thus is not just, so we're not going to gloat about it like overgrown schoolyard bullies."

Instead people become hyper defensive and blame the victims. Or worse yet, we concoct absurd claims about how we were actually acting in the interest of the victims (lol). There's a total lack of introspection on the part of the winners. You don't have to lose the war, but if you have commit war crimes to do it, you should be prepared to lose face.

#1. No one in this thread has excused Allied war crimes

#2. No one in this thread who says the war crimes were inexcusable under any circumstance has outlined a prosecution of the war that doesn't include war crimes and still ends up in an Allied victory.

I'm all ears, I've spent a quarter century studying WWII and I've yet to find one. I'm eager to hear what anyone else can come up with.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why? If you didn't choose to be in the situation where you have to take the least-worst option, you have no reason to feel ashamed/guilty/lose-face/whatever. No one should celebrate it, it is what it is, a lot of people just getting killed. No one who died 'deserved' it, not least of which because it didn't kill the military leadership. But it had to happen, because the way the world was. It's depressing, but not shameful.

The reason people get hyper-defensive is because they think it's being used as an opportunity to wax lyrical about barbaric Americans, or worse, justify apologetics for the fascist regimes.

"But we've got to make sure it doesn't happen again!" You know how you prevent conflict and in general promote good governance? Structure the state such that it is accountable to and acts in the interests of the people. Morality tales don't constrain state actions, only incentives on actors do. If you want to prevent atrocities, what you need is a systematized, rule-based solution that prevents recreating that environment.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 29, 2016

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone please propose a strategy that ends with minimal civilan casualties by the western allies

You're allowed to even excuse the soviets raping and conquering everyone ever, a few years of extra holocausting, a few thousand japanese-soldier-raping-an-enslaved-prostitute incidents per month

But propose a strategy the allies could have used that you agree with

Bonus points if yoy acknowledge the existence of the RAF instead of blaming the USAAF for every war crime ever

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

vintagepurple posted:

Someone please propose a strategy that ends with minimal civilan casualties by the western allies

You're allowed to even excuse the soviets raping and conquering everyone ever, a few years of extra holocausting, a few thousand japanese-soldier-raping-an-enslaved-prostitute incidents per month

Bonus points if yoy acknowledge the existence of the RAF instead of blaming the USAAF for every war crime ever
1. Invent cruise missiles and surveillance satellites instead of nuclear weapons.
2. Precision bomb the German/Japanese leadership until someone comes to power that will accept an unconditional surrender.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

rudatron posted:

Why? If you didn't choose to be in the situation where you have to take the least-worst option, you have no reason to feel ashamed/guilty/lose-face/whatever. No one should celebrate it, it is what it is, a lot of people just getting killed. No one who died 'deserved' it, not least of which because it didn't kill the military leadership. But it had to happen, because the way the world was. It's depressing, but not shameful.

The Allies didn't choose to be in that situation, the Axis forced them into it. Also, no one is celebrating it, not the people in this thread and certainly not the Allied commanders who are referenced in this thread as having recognized that what they were forced to do was awful.

quote:

The reason people get hyper-defensive is because they think it's being used as an opportunity to wax lyrical about barbaric Americans, or worse, justify apologetics for the fascist regimes.

Conversely, the other side is getting hyper-defensive about people suggesting that perhaps there was some use in the application of the atomic bombs in that unique time in history, when the only other choices that were presented were warcrimes of an exponential scale worse. 200,000 dying of the bomb and radiation is a travesty and should never, ever happen again, but compared to 5,000,000 or 10,000,000 dead of starvation, or 5,000,000 dead through invasion and the tactical application of chemical weapons in Japan, I mean to me it's a no-brainer. Maybe that makes me a savage, I dunno.

quote:

"But we've got to make sure it doesn't happen again!" You know how you prevent conflict and in general promote good governance? Structure the state such that it is accountable to and acts in the interests of the people. Morality tales don't constrain state actions, only incentives on actors do. If you want to prevent atrocities, what you need is a systematized, rule-based solution that prevents recreating that environment.

I agree, but this proposed situation was off the table once Hitler and the Japanese junta rose to power. This is exactly what the Allies did after the war for both Japan and West Germany, and now both nations are among the most economically powerful and stable nations on Earth. So I agree 100% on the message you are saying here.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 29, 2016

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

A Buttery Pastry posted:

1. Invent cruise missiles and surveillance satellites instead of nuclear weapons.
2. Precision bomb the German/Japanese leadership until someone comes to power that will accept an unconditional surrender.

"Can't we just drone this guy?" - FDR

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fojar38 posted:

"Can't we just drone this guy?" - FDR

A Kennedy tried this, with dubious results.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

OSS should've made sure that Hitler swallowed a GPS tracker instead of cyanide.

To everyone who's against nuking Japanese cities: how do you feel about Allied strategic bombing campaigns in terms of collateral damage? Millions of civilians were killed by that and some probable war crimes such as Dresden happened as a part of that campaign. But even without Dresden you've got bomber formations spread out over miles of airspace to maximize their chances of hitting their target (no smart bombs back then) so let's get real here, 99 out of 100 bombs dropped didn't hit their intended target which were often placed in cities. And even when they did hit their target, oftentimes fires from the bombs would spread and turn into a massive conflagration such as in Tokyo near the end of the war that killed 100,000 people in one night, no evil radiation required.

So allied strategic bombing at all, in or out?

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeusExMachinima posted:

OSS should've made sure that Hitler swallowed a GPS tracker instead of cyanide.

To everyone who's against nuking Japanese cities: how do you feel about Allied strategic bombing campaigns in terms of collateral damage? Millions of civilians were killed by that and some probable war crimes such as Dresden happened as a part of that campaign. But even without Dresden you've got bomber formations spread out over miles of airspace to maximize their chances of hitting their target (no smart bombs back then) so let's get real here, 99 out of 100 bombs dropped didn't hit their intended target which were often placed in cities. And even when they did hit their target, oftentimes fires from the bombs would spread and turn into a massive conflagration such as in Tokyo near the end of the war that killed 100,000 people in one night, no evil radiation required.

So allied strategic bombing at all, in or out?

Also, DnD armchair leftists, consider the literal tens of thousands intentionally murdered by Axis regimes each day their drafted soldiers were forced into the field, and the rapes, revenge killings, and civilian-refugee-columns-strafed-by-soviet-fighters resulting from additional day at war?

What should the imperialist regimes of the west have done?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

This obsession with unconditional surrender makes no sense. If your bare minimum preliminary conditions for surrender are already the worst case scenario for the defeated party, then there's no difference between a negotiated peace and an unconditional surrender.

Maybe the Allies should have said, yo, we won't kill the Emperor, chill out, but that's about it.

As most of the Axis nations demonstrated, the "worst case scenario" for a defeated party could be quite a bit worse than anything the Allies were intent on enforcing - and, as the shift from Morganthau to Marshall showed, the Allies were ultimately willing to subject the Axis countries to much nicer treatment than they had initially envisioned.

vintagepurple posted:

1) Show any willingness at all to negotiate a peace, otherwise continue as usual

2) By the time it is completely obvious that the Eastern Front is a disaster, a military coup of some sort removes Hitler, sues for peace, and agrees to conditions including announcement of surrender, dismantlement of the government, official denouncement of Nazi crimes, war crimes trials, de-Nazification, giving up everything Germany conquered during the war, reparations, etc etc. If they refuse, or if Hitler manages to stay in power, continue steamrolling but continue to indicate that peace is possible in conditions that don't involve Soviet troops raping their way through Berlin

3) Crush Japan's Pacific Fleet, take air superiority over the Home Islands, etc

4) Open peace negotiations with the Japanese, with conditions including announcement of surrender, handing over their overseas Empire to the West, dismantlement of the military government, war crimes trials, reparations, etc etc. If they refuse, bomb some poo poo. Repeat until they accept

Basically, do most of what we actually did, except without the whole "refusing any sort of surrender negotiations at all because our political opponents made a big fuss about us cutting a sweetheart deal with Vichy commanders in North Africa to end the battles there more quickly" thing.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Main Paineframe posted:

2) By the time it is completely obvious that the Eastern Front is a disaster, a military coup of some sort removes Hitler

Wow, what a convenience!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

As most of the Axis nations demonstrated, the "worst case scenario" for a defeated party could be quite a bit worse than anything the Allies were intent on enforcing - and, as the shift from Morganthau to Marshall showed, the Allies were ultimately willing to subject the Axis countries to much nicer treatment than they had initially envisioned.

All plans involved the arrest, trial and presumably death of political leaders, as well as an occupation, demilitarization, widespread purges of ideologically unreliable people. That's the worst case scenario for the ruling elites, worse even than allowing their countries to be incinerated.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 29, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Wow, what a convenience!

"Unconditional surrender" was actually a huge boon to Hitler's regime, since it destroyed any realistic hope that a successor government might be able to end the war early if Hitler and his trusted supporters all just so happened to suffer mysterious fatal accidents at the same time. By putting Germany in a no-win situation and tying the fate and fortunes of the country to the fate of the Nazi government, we gave the Nazis a massive propaganda boost and made internal rebellion a very unattractive deal. As far as I can tell, only two major WWII figures liked the "unconditional surrender" demand - Roosevelt, who proposed it, and Goebbels, who made it a centerpiece of pro-Nazi propaganda.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

1) Show any willingness at all to negotiate a peace, otherwise continue as usual

2) By the time it is completely obvious that the Eastern Front is a disaster, a military coup of some sort removes Hitler, sues for peace, and agrees to conditions including announcement of surrender, dismantlement of the government, official denouncement of Nazi crimes, war crimes trials, de-Nazification, giving up everything Germany conquered during the war, reparations, etc etc. If they refuse, or if Hitler manages to stay in power, continue steamrolling but continue to indicate that peace is possible in conditions that don't involve Soviet troops raping their way through Berlin

Ah, so you'd rely on the ol' clean Wehrmacht myth and just let the Nazis (+ Nazis in all but name) sort things out for themselves.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"hey guys we want to be nice to your population so if you could just hand yourselves over to be executed for war crimes that'd be swell"

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

Wow, what a convenience!

The Germans and Japanese didn't even actually want to fight. The Allies could have ended the war way earlier without any civilian casualties had they just removed their troops and planes from everywhere. The Axis powers probably would have surrendered then. Makes you think, huh

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Andorra posted:

The Germans and Japanese didn't even actually want to fight. The Allies could have ended the war way earlier without any civilian casualties had they just removed their troops and planes from everywhere. The Axis powers probably would have surrendered then. Makes you think, huh

As a literal white supremacist, I am appalled by our willingness to nuke the Japanese. If only we'd implemented Operation Starvation we a) could've ensured the IJA kept stacking up Chinese bodies for years at a rate far surpassing the Holocaust and b) could've killed millions of Japanese civilians through starvation and exposure to the elements as winter set in. What a missed opportunity.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Watch in slack-jawed amazement as new German regime proceeds to breach peace treaty almost as soon as it is signed. Wonder if there was possibly a precedent that could have warned you this would happen. Quietly push 'Weimar Germany and the Treaty of Versailles' under the counch, and start preparing for round 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
1968, radioactive ruins of New York: "I think we were too tough on the Kraut back in 45, you can't really blame them for taking revenge."

• Locked thread