Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ideas? Multiple choice.
Rename it to something that includes several nature hobbies
More serious tone, more science more grammar
Less serious, less grammar broader range of people
Rename it to T.S. Eliot poem words and hide it further down the list so it's trendy
View Results

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I love this god drat forum. But the average reply time must be a week. And that's for one reply, not a guaranteed expert or someone in your region who might be familiar with the terrain, a species of plant or mushroom, fish etc. Let's face it: This forum owns and yet if you were to post a nature, hiking or climbing related thread in GBS it'd get 10 times more replies even if you subtract all the comedy replies and poo poo posts.

I'm not a mod, I'm not changing anything or even proposing we do, I'm just asking what do you guys think it would take to get this sub forum really going? If you take the posts from the PYF fishing thread, the DIY woodworking thread, GBS, BYOB, and TCC I'm sure we have plenty enough goons to talk about hiking, climbing, carving poo poo out of wood, eating mushrooms, camping and all this cool poo poo.

Any ideas? I wonder if renaming it, updating the rules and clarifying the purpose and the tone here would be enough.

TLDR: I really want everyone to use this subforum, it was a very good idea and if everyone knew more about it I think it would succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just wait until the election. People will come flocking here looking for survival tips after their country burns to the ground.

I'm taking refugee applications for goons interested in becoming bushmen in the wild Canadian north. I have experience in wilderness survival and living in the woods like a hobo so I can start training immediately upon arrival.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I keep saying it should be made a TFLC subforum.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

Just wait until the election. People will come flocking here looking for survival tips after their country burns to the ground.

I'm taking refugee applications for goons interested in becoming bushmen in the wild Canadian north. I have experience in wilderness survival and living in the woods like a hobo so I can start training immediately upon arrival.

In 2017 the words "socialized medicine" will mean the billions of cells that grow underground as each thread of the mycelium of mushrooms connect, eventually leading to fruiting bodies that we will eat as food, use as medicine, tinder, and plug up our bullet hole wounds with

super sweet best pal posted:

I keep saying it should be made a TFLC subforum.

I looked and I still don't know what TFLC is, again I don't want to be some pompous idiot bitch who claims to know what's good for the forums, but I think if you kept it right where it was, renamed it something that includes a bunch of hobbies but somehow also has a cool name or abbreviation: It will thrive.

I will email Ray Mears and ask him to do a guest appearance, he won't reply and I'll then contact a YouTube nature guy and see if he will do it instead. We need some celebrity power. Like how GBS had Robin Williams, Matt Damon, Bill Burr, deadmau5, etc.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 25, 2016

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Picnic Princess posted:

Cool! When do applications open? CAn you also teach me to sing "oh Candia"?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Fear.

Fear, intimidation, and a willingness to be the very best. It will save our forum like the application of maggots to a festering wound.

Also, in the event of a Trump presidency I'm probably going to get murked by the Russians. It was an honor posting with all y'all.

I also bought I real nice gore-tex shell, I like it lots.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

TFLC is the fitness log cabin.

This forum is great but it's kinda hard to get goons to step outside.

Encourage other mods to offer field trips to parks as an alternative to probation, with the trip report being posted here.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
goons dont like the outside xD

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
maybe we need to cause some kind of apocalypse, then people will need the forum

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We can distribute posts and threadshitting like that Kevin Costner film The Postman.

I'm Neil Young.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Free Market Mambo posted:

Fear.

Fear, intimidation, and a willingness to be the very best. It will save our forum like the application of maggots to a festering wound.

Also, in the event of a Trump presidency I'm probably going to get murked by the Russians. It was an honor posting with all y'all.

I also bought I real nice gore-tex shell, I like it lots.

I'm willing to fight you IRL for a YouTube video if it helps make this forum famous. I will then likely be promoted to assistant mod, and I will take your job in Finland teaching people how to ski until I become an alcoholic obsessed with freezing himself in the snow, then melting himself in a sauna, every day, with the drinking in between those things until I die.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

extra stout posted:

I'm willing to fight you IRL for a YouTube video if it helps make this forum famous. I will then likely be promoted to assistant mod, and I will take your job in Finland teaching people how to ski until I become an alcoholic obsessed with freezing himself in the snow, then melting himself in a sauna, every day, with the drinking in between those things until I die.

I think you should make a youtube video about what you would do to survive the Trumpocaust on your own with the resources you currently have. I expect to see results in 5 days. Skiing while drinking will win you extra bonus points and make you honorary IK. No snow? No problem. Get creative.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This is good. Can we include WWE style callouts?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yes.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

I think you should make a youtube video about what you would do to survive the Trumpocaust on your own with the resources you currently have. I expect to see results in 5 days. Skiing while drinking will win you extra bonus points and make you honorary IK. No snow? No problem. Get creative.

My birch skis cracked before I got the bindings in, or even the tip shaped. And we've got no snow. I'll see if I can do a video that would be not poo poo, need a better gimmick than being afraid of a fat old businessman who's been paid to lose though, I'll think it over when I'm supposed to be doing work tomorrow

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

We can distribute posts and threadshitting like that Kevin Costner film The Postman.

I'm Neil Young.

Did you mean Tom Petty? smdh

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Fuuuuuck, hoisted by my own Pettard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Move it out of the poo poo-thread area and down next to DIY and Fitness, etc. I never even noticed this subforum was here until I was trying to figure out what PYF had been renamed to one time.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
My vote would be to open it up to more outdoorsy type things. I would love a surfing thread with a solid OP, same with a scuba diving one(neither seem to exist on SA afaik, search has told me they haven't but if I'm wrong point me that way)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Psychobabble! posted:

My vote would be to open it up to more outdoorsy type things. I would love a surfing thread with a solid OP, same with a scuba diving one(neither seem to exist on SA afaik, search has told me they haven't but if I'm wrong point me that way)
There's a SCUBA thread in A/T, as well as a lot of the more informative threads on outdoorsy physical stuff. They're usually in the first 2 pages

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

I actually recorded some of these the next day but I gotta see if they're worth uploading because I had a cold and it was windy and the audio is hosed

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I believe in u

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

extra stout posted:

I actually recorded some of these the next day but I gotta see if they're worth uploading because I had a cold and it was windy and the audio is hosed

:dance:

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

free SA web kiosk at every cairn

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Hi I forgot I liked hiking and camping and stuff so hi. If anyone wants to go on an old nature walk and just shoot the breeze let me know

edit: On a serious note though this forum just seems very compartmentalized. I feel like it'd be a good place to ask a question or something, but I don't really see any threads that look like good places to just talk about the outdoors or just share your experiences in general.

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 8, 2016

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm not in the U.S., but I thought this was still the weird election forum and wanted to see what was happening. Much better surprise - what a gem of a forum!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'll be doing a mushroom megathread sometime soon, busy week or I'd have it up now sorry friends

Could any of you IKs or mods let me know if renaming the forum or doing a rotating background or some poo poo, some more involvement, are any of these possible? I'd really like to jump start this thing up again if we can all do it. Especially with GBS going to poo poo for who knows how long with anxiety from Americans about Trump winning, and jokes from the rest of the world about Trump winning

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey, I figured you were joking and I wasn't really worried about the election, but... any chance you're serious?

quote:

I'll be doing a mushroom megathread sometime soon, busy week or I'd have it up now sorry friends

Yay! I will eat your thread!

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Stout, you could come kick it with me, but I will probably get murked by the Russians.

We have many mushroom here.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Stout, you could come kick it with me, but I will probably get murked by the Russians.

We have many mushroom here.

What do frozen bog mushrooms taste like? Also you should bring some of the woodworking thread guys to this subforum, GBS is 50 percent low effort Trump threads and maybe 1 funny Trump thread, I need this to become my vacation home/forum, recruit! Get out and sell!

If you have any mushroom pictures you've taken get 'em ready once I stop being lazy and put a thread up. Did you ever try carving birch skis? Or can you find me an old ancient Finnish guy who looks like Genghis Khan to teach me? Mine cracked while drying and I am rapidly running out of time to try again for this winter.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

extra stout posted:

What do frozen bog mushrooms taste like? Also you should bring some of the woodworking thread guys to this subforum, GBS is 50 percent low effort Trump threads and maybe 1 funny Trump thread, I need this to become my vacation home/forum, recruit! Get out and sell!

If you have any mushroom pictures you've taken get 'em ready once I stop being lazy and put a thread up. Did you ever try carving birch skis? Or can you find me an old ancient Finnish guy who looks like Genghis Khan to teach me? Mine cracked while drying and I am rapidly running out of time to try again for this winter.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a magical period of the year where the bog switches from frozen to melty and filled with unholy swarms of mosquitos. This is the time to slowly wander through them looking for mushrooms and berries.

There's a super intense tradition of mushrooming in Finland, and while I'm not an expert, I've taken a few courses and know enough to gather with the help of a guidebook. Many of the North American classics, like chanterelles and porcinis can be found. I promise to help with your thread if you start it up. Make RSF Great Again.

Still haven't had a chance to try making skis, I'm stalled on making a changing table for some friends of mine, and have a lathe to make after.

Tomorrow I'll be teaching a course on hewing logs, we just got our first big snow, so we'll see how it goes getting to the course site.

Have you seen Herzog's The Happy People? There' a great scene of a gnarly Siberian dude making his skis.

Outdoors people love stuff. Maybe a general gear bragging/argument thread?

Did you find a backpack?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Contrary to popular belief, there is a magical period of the year where the bog switches from frozen to melty and filled with unholy swarms of mosquitos. This is the time to slowly wander through them looking for mushrooms and berries.

There's a super intense tradition of mushrooming in Finland, and while I'm not an expert, I've taken a few courses and know enough to gather with the help of a guidebook. Many of the North American classics, like chanterelles and porcinis can be found. I promise to help with your thread if you start it up. Make RSF Great Again.

Still haven't had a chance to try making skis, I'm stalled on making a changing table for some friends of mine, and have a lathe to make after.

Tomorrow I'll be teaching a course on hewing logs, we just got our first big snow, so we'll see how it goes getting to the course site.

Have you seen Herzog's The Happy People? There' a great scene of a gnarly Siberian dude making his skis.

Outdoors people love stuff. Maybe a general gear bragging/argument thread?

Did you find a backpack?

What kind of berries are popular and common there beyond the lingonberry? That is pretty cool that you have a good variety of mushrooms, I am disappointed by your selection of freshwater fish and so far what I know of your trees is that we got 3/4 of the cool ones.

Hewing just as a technique, or for any specific purpose? That is pretty cool and you should post pictures and tell me what kind of tools you own and use. I like the pack you linked me, but I am still poor so that'll wait. A gear thread would be cool, I think we already had one though and I wonder if it'd be better just to have people post their gear in more specific threads to liven them up. Backpacks in hiking threads, axes in a woodworking thread, etc. The DYI forum already has the traditional woodworking thread I've seen you post in, but it'd be cool if we had a hand tool woodworking thread here. Tree identification, debarking, carving, etc. I like the DYI thread and the guys there do good work, but it's got to be 95 percent or more "here's a thing I did with a garage and $15,000 of power tools"

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The US, particularly the east coast is super lucky when it comes to trees and biodiversity in general. Every time I'm back I'm tempted to try to stuff empty spaces in my suitcase with American hardwoods. Here's a monster pike.

The class was mostly focused on technique, it was only three hours long, just enough to give people a chance to see the equipment, general technique, and hit things with axes in the woods for an afternoon.

I use a pair of log dogs to spike the log to be hewed in place on my hewing benches, then mark out a square of the size I want on the small end of a log. I strike two lines delineating a plane to the other side with a chalkline, and mark out another square there.

I then use an axe to chop out notches about 2 feet apart almost down to the chalklines. The axe then splits away the sections left between the notches, allowing better control against run out, and a much easier job.

The log can the be rotated 90 degrees, spiked back in place, and a single-bevel broadaxe used to work across the grain to remove the last bits and leave a more exact surface.

Repeat four times and regret.

It's probably for the best that the handtool stuff sticks in the general woodworking thread, there's not all that many purely handtool woodworkers, and I think a few of them just really like getting preachy about people not shelling out thousands on starting a hobby. It's always nicer when people just chill out and are supportive.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The US, particularly the east coast is super lucky when it comes to trees and biodiversity in general. Every time I'm back I'm tempted to try to stuff empty spaces in my suitcase with American hardwoods. Here's a monster pike.

Post is too long to quote, but god drat. You catch that? Is that a northern pike or some variety of muskie? Looks slightly short and super thick, much like the mushrooms in the mushroom thread you said you'd post in, fucker.

I thought Finnish axes had a guard around the handle smithed in usually, if that makes sense? Also does anyone buy Roselli axes there are they just expensive trendy things to hope Americans will import? Almost looks like you've betrayed your people and bought some Swedish variety of axe.

Do you guys have anything close to black walnut there? That's what I'd grab if I were you, or if I were me. Black walnut heartwood. Carve some spoons on the flight home and be arrested for international terrorism or whatever.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Maybe actually rotate the Rotating Sub Forum :shrug:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Korthal posted:

Maybe actually rotate the Rotating Sub Forum :shrug:

But we need to preserve the silent empty spaces, for future generations to experience posting in solitude.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
extra stout for packs if you're trying to save money there's a ton of weekend warriors that have barely used gear years old. I use an arcteryx bora 95 and bora 80, either one. They're decent but overkill unless you're carrying tons of poo poo like we do. I don't like most modern packs because they're all ultralight bullshit but we also use gear until it wears out, which is uncommon for most recreation. Your other cheap option is to get something like the USMC's ILBE pack, designed by arcteryx and usually I think made by propper. If you craigslist ILBE you'll usually find a handful, you should find one for no more than 75 dollars. It's a 75L pack, decent durability and stuff like hip belt and shoulder straps are replaceable with arcteryx parts. Some of the stitching has popped out on my partner's pack but he's also strapping down a crosscut saw.

sry mambo

thatguy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 13, 2016

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Dogg, faggotry? I get you're a super manly man, but methinks the lady doth protest too much.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

thatguy posted:

extra stout for packs if you're trying to save money there's a ton of weekend warriors that have barely used gear years old. I use an arcteryx bora 95 and bora 80, either one. They're decent but overkill unless you're carrying tons of poo poo like we do. I don't like most modern packs because they're all ultralight bullshit but we also use gear until it wears out, which is uncommon for most recreation. Your other cheap option is to get something like the USMC's ILBE pack, designed by arcteryx and usually I think made by propper. If you craigslist ILBE you'll usually find a handful, you should find one for no more than 75 dollars. It's a 75L pack, decent durability and stuff like hip belt and shoulder straps are replaceable with arcteryx parts. Some of the stitching has popped out on my partner's pack but he's also strapping down a crosscut saw.

sry mambo

thanks i will compare those to the ones mambo told me about and probably remain broke til christmas, where i then as an adult man will ask for a thing for christmas as a present.

i'm confused what happened here because it seems you are a gay dude but can't say faggotry? what are the rules on this? maybe it's a cultural crossroad, in america you can make fun of anything if you're part of the group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
nah it's borderline unacceptable even for most gays, tbh I didn't even know I was typing it

• Locked thread