Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ideas? Multiple choice.
Rename it to something that includes several nature hobbies
More serious tone, more science more grammar
Less serious, less grammar broader range of people
Rename it to T.S. Eliot poem words and hide it further down the list so it's trendy
View Results

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Close the hiking and backpacking Megathread with a post directing users to this subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

Close the hiking and backpacking Megathread with a post directing users to this subforum.

Close Yellowstone and redirect the hordes to my pristine unknown corner of the country? I don't think so

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Travel and Tourism should be a main forum and this should be a subforum of that

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
A few megathreads wouldn't hurt:

Gear trades
Gear reviews
General gear recommendations
Bicycle touring
MYOG thread
GPX track share
Mapping resources discussion
A thread to offer fellow Goons hosting / couches / lawns

Rime posted:

Also this

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
How about regional trail threads? I'd be happy to post and read about PNW trails and mountains. I'm not particularly interested in the rest of the country but I'm sure they could do regional threads for their areas.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

If you want the sub to thrive you'll have to move threads over here and broaden the sub a bit. Move the Mountain Bike megathread, Biking megathread, Bike touring megathread, Bike maint threads, the backpacking/hiking megathread, the ski and snowboard megathread and the rock climbing megathread. Once they are over here they will have more room to breath and can branch off to create more threads that are a bit more specific.

But you would have to convince the mods of YLLS to okay it and close those threads and recreate them here. Make the last post in each thread have the link to this new one. Then put up a nice welcome sticky encouraging new threads and go hog wild.

Also I totally support a magic mushroom hunting thread.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I didn't forget the thread, just wanted to hear all the ideas out and not constantly bump my own threads. The mushroom megathread got some cool replies but again was a reminder that the subforum is too narrow, too bad not enough people know about it or we could vote or something like I was originally too lazy for. If a mod reads this though: Would you mind telling me if that would be allowed? A broadening of this subforum, and if we could absorb some threads from the hobby forum if they're nature related and the regulars are interested.

Also you can post psilocybin in the mushroom thread if you want but I mentioned that I know very little about them and there's a whole thread about those in TCC, so leave it to them imo. I spent a month looking out specifically for amanita muscaria which is an entirely legal species because 3/4 of people just get a stomach ache and pass out having weird drunken dreams but weirder, so it's not enjoyable enough to bother regulating as it has no real market and laws wouldn't send many people into legal prison slavery anyway. I never found a single one despite narrowing down their typical habitat pretty well. I would not doubt if I find and post a few in Spring if that interests you.

So if any mods read this: It's been a long time since I made this thread and still agree with the basic idea that we should absorb a lot of lone nature related hobby threads throughout the forums if those people want to join and could help expand this forum. I'm still not claiming to be the person who should define the forum, which the rename would sort of do and the rules would cement. But if you do read this let me know what your mod powers allow and what you think, could we bring the fisherman thread in here, greenwood hand carving (this never survives or lasts if you post about it in the woodworking megathread, mostly traditional expensive garage furniture making there). I could go on, but essentially SA has probably 20 lone threads about hobbies involving hiking, camping, fishing, foraging etc, and it'd be cool if we built this up as a new home for it all.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
I feel I've been posting in this subforum a bit much lately, and will back off if need be, but it is definitely my area of interest, if not expertise. There are a lot of topics I want to discuss even more, like outdoor literature, philosophy, and politics, but I just doubt there's enough interest to sustain threads based around such narrow discussions.

Ironically, it's usually the ideal of hikers to be alone. In this case, though, it's nice to have familiar voices to bounce off each other just so we know we're not a bunch of loony bastards in the woods.

To that end, though, I think it's better to sustain quality over quantity, as I would take a dozen posts from Picnic Princess and Levitate over a bunch of random posters making GBS threads up the Everest thread.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Post all you want
I agree probably the main way to get more traffic is move megathreads here but you might lose a bunch of people trying to find the new location as well

I'm going to try to post more here but yeah it's not like I have something to add in every thread

I'd love to see more winter activity posting maybe even cross country skiing etc, but maybe there are megathreads for that too

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The outdoor activity megathreads are all super ancient and some are half-wankery from daily posters now anyways (as megathreads tend to develop cliques). Imma make a thread in QCS this evening asking for them to be redirected.

E: As a poster of my word, I have done this.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 12, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rime posted:

The outdoor activity megathreads are all super ancient and some are half-wankery from daily posters now anyways (as megathreads tend to develop cliques). Imma make a thread in QCS this evening asking for them to be redirected.

E: As a poster of my word, I have done this.

Thanks everyone and you Rime for your endless posting efforts. I will muster on in this war by eventually uploading the half dozen pictures of my little amateur mushroom grow kit I've had for a week. Might just wait until the second harvest is ready so I can compare it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm thinking about making a megathread for people who work in trail building/wildland fire/parks poo poo. I know there are goons who work for the USFS/NPS/BLM, but I haven't been able to find a megathread and this forum seems like the perfect home for them.

I'm also supposed to show up for my first day of California Conservation Corp next Monday, so I'll probably make the thread in about a month when I'm down about twenty pounds and suitably bitter about trail building.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
should move some survival/prepper threads in here - especially if "Take a hike"! actually means "I'm growing mushrooms in a closet - on purpose!"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We have prepper threads? Linky poo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm planning a lot of outdoor stuff for 2017 and it never even occurred to me that this subforum existed. I was looking for threads about backcountry kayaking and camping and things and they seemed to be scattered.

I'll probably start a kayaking/kayak-camping thread at some point, hopefully it isn't too niche to survive :getin:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

A White Guy posted:

I'm thinking about making a megathread for people who work in trail building/wildland fire/parks poo poo. I know there are goons who work for the USFS/NPS/BLM, but I haven't been able to find a megathread and this forum seems like the perfect home for them.

I'm also supposed to show up for my first day of California Conservation Corp next Monday, so I'll probably make the thread in about a month when I'm down about twenty pounds and suitably bitter about trail building.

Make one, I'll post often enough when we're out or not working. If people are looking to get into contracting, I can give most of the basic pointers on the business side and the bidding side, past performance bullshit etc.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Martytoof posted:

I'm planning a lot of outdoor stuff for 2017 and it never even occurred to me that this subforum existed. I was looking for threads about backcountry kayaking and camping and things and they seemed to be scattered.

I'll probably start a kayaking/kayak-camping thread at some point, hopefully it isn't too niche to survive :getin:

It's hard to get goons to know this subforum exists so feel free to tell people about it, but I'm sure I have seen enough goons in the fishing thread in the hobby forum in a kayak that if they felt like coming here and posting about their kayaks' you'd have 20 pages. Please do, I don't know a lot about either of your topics but I look forward to reading your thread and also A WHITE GUYs

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Things I get-
-this forum is dead and gay
-my attempts at funny threads are bad

Things I don't get-
-y'all have nothing to say about conservation

I guess even picnic princess stopped posting in here? Shucks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I never really thought of this forum as the "be funny" forum so much as the light hearted but I'm not very funny myself soooo

I liked some of the picture thread stuff and other discussions but things kind of died off. It's winter in the northern hemisphere though so maybe it'll pick up when the weather gets nicer, though the lack of winter sports posting is maybe another issue

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Things I get-
-this forum is dead and gay
-my attempts at funny threads are bad

Things I don't get-
-y'all have nothing to say about conservation

I guess even picnic princess stopped posting in here? Shucks.

I'm still here, I was working at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Belize for 2 months! I will have words on conservation soon.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm still here, I was working at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Belize for 2 months! I will have words on conservation soon.

Right on, sounds awesome and sunny. Wb

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I know that's a gibbon in your profile pic, but I got to work with spider monkeys and they were super awesome animals. I love them very much.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I started a trailrunning thread last year. I think it's relevant but probably too overlapping with the running thread in a different forum.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
WHAT THE HELL HOW LONG HAS THERE BEEN AN OUTDOORS SUBFORUM

Post in the Fishing and Hunting threads! I only just found this subforum today.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
I'm not that surprised it's so dead here - there's only so much you can discuss, and if you look at other forums on this topic (I'm thinking regional ones, like cascadeclimbers) they are in my opinion barely hanging in there. Worth checking weekly, definitely not daily.

What I wish I would see more of is trip reports. The photo thread is nice, but it's lovely to have a nice trip in its own thread and educates people about the world :)

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

meselfs posted:

I'm not that surprised it's so dead here - there's only so much you can discuss, and if you look at other forums on this topic (I'm thinking regional ones, like cascadeclimbers) they are in my opinion barely hanging in there. Worth checking weekly, definitely not daily.

What I wish I would see more of is trip reports. The photo thread is nice, but it's lovely to have a nice trip in its own thread and educates people about the world :)

Winter in the northern hemisphere is slow hiking season anyways. Skiers can post in a skiing thread and nobody wants to hear about my boring hikes below tree line to keep in shape.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Pretty much. All I have of interest is avi poo poo in the Everest thread. I'm not interested in dying, our mountains are not really that safe in winter.

Although to be fair I wasn't even in Canada for the last 3 months. I might make a post or thread about my volunteering in Central America, because that's what I was up to instead of posting.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

meselfs posted:

I disagree. The people over in TFR are not shooting every day, but the subforum is active year round. The outdoors are there all the time. We all at least go outside.

Y'all need photo threads and a new Critterquest thread. Critterquest used to be so awesome.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Suspect Bucket posted:

WHAT THE HELL HOW LONG HAS THERE BEEN AN OUTDOORS SUBFORUM

Post in the Fishing and Hunting threads! I only just found this subforum today.

Same, I only found it through running a search for info on my new hobby and it happened to hit on a thread here.

Doesn't seem to be a dedicated orienteering thread. I think regional threads would be cool.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rime posted:

This but all threads, like 20 of them, and make sure to tell them to come to my :shroom: thread

IT'S ABOUT THAT WONDERFUL TIME OF YEAR FOLKS, coming on up

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

You could add a link to the subforum in your signature if you post where sign are a thing

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I was bored

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sweet. I had thought about trying to make a banner ad, but I'm lazy

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm not lazy, but I'm unemployed and shouldn't spend money on things.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll buy it if you put some pokemon and make it
40kB max, exactly 468x60px
Allowed types: GIF, PNG, JPG

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I will do it by tomorrow night!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
You are both amazing and I'm glad of it, is there any chance you're able to change the forum subtitle thing?

It's still "A funny place to loosely discuss Hiking and Outdoorsmanship" and again I'm not in charge of poo poo, but since that was the description when it was a rotating fun forum and now it's a permanent, important dead forum, is it possible to have something like "A fun place to discuss hiking, foraging and the outdoors" or something that replaces "a funny place" with a couple more words to describe the variety of cool poo poo we could all cram into this subforum

I have never used a signature on SA but I'll name drop it when appropriate in other forums a few more times as Spring is upon us, been taking a few mushroom pictures but gonna wait til I get a good informative post worth

Epitope posted:

I'll buy it if you put some pokemon and make it

??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shroomish_
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breloom_

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 9, 2017

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think charmander and bulbasaur would get more clicks, but you and I know which are most fun to chase :shroom:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

You're going to have to let me know the best pokemon because I was too old for it and am not very familiar with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I dont really know either. How about charmander, geodude, and somethingawful's favorite psyduck

• Locked thread