Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ideas? Multiple choice.
Rename it to something that includes several nature hobbies
More serious tone, more science more grammar
Less serious, less grammar broader range of people
Rename it to T.S. Eliot poem words and hide it further down the list so it's trendy
View Results

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Rollin with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

How's this?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh hell ya

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully I did that right. I just got 1 copy, there's not many other ads running right now so might be plenty

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Took a few :f5: but I saw it! You are awesome

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Hello Take a Hike friends I am Putty from #FORUM_NAME! I came here after I saw your lovely banner ad and bear a gift!

It's a present! From the bomb factory! It's a bomb.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Our first victim! Get him guys!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
you know its a bad smelly forum when terrorism is unacceptable

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
...hehe.. Hey, ..hehehe.. Hey Putty, ..hehe... Take A Hike!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
That's an angry bear :tbear:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

i followed the ad here. wheres the pokemon go thread

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
A while ago I took a hike with my cuz and we walked in a goddamn forest for hours and it all looked the same until we got the the top of a loving hill or something. Everything is slightly smaller and farther away now! So rewarding!

And there are bugs :chloe:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Psycho Society posted:

And there are bugs :chloe:

but enough about your sex life...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Matoi Ryuko posted:

i followed the ad here. wheres the pokemon go thread

Got archived. We need a new one!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welcome visitors! We hope you enjoy our park, and consider becoming a member. A few reminders- Camp out of view of any lakes or picture threads. Please bury you poo poo posts at least 6 inches down. And always hang your food out of reach of the mods.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Hiking is super dumb and for total dweebs. What do you have to say to that eh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hiking is just walking that you have to drive to first :owned:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My carbon footprint is HUGE. Thanks, Nature.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

My carbon footprint is HUGE. Thanks, Nature.

:love:

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Is there a more serious gear related thread? There should be a megathread about answering questions and posting gear setups. Some folks might be looking for recommendations on day hiking setups, as well as ultralight, or even bushcraft as well.

I used to work at REI from 2008-2011 so I have some knowledge and I have collected a poo poo ton of gear. I wouldn't mind commenting and helping some people out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

You can make one if you like! Between winter in the north and me disappearing for several months this forum kind of petered off and I'd like to see it start up again with actual good content.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ASSTASTIC posted:

Is there a more serious gear related thread? There should be a megathread about answering questions and posting gear setups. Some folks might be looking for recommendations on day hiking setups, as well as ultralight, or even bushcraft as well.

I used to work at REI from 2008-2011 so I have some knowledge and I have collected a poo poo ton of gear. I wouldn't mind commenting and helping some people out.

This is a fantastic idea, and I'm cobbling one together now.

Problem is 99% of the outdoors traffic is in the hiking and backpacking megathread. Could we move that thread to this subforum? The other problem is that if other posters are like me, they just keep up with their bookmarked threads and don't poke their heads out often enough to find new threads.

I would really love to see a megathread for outdoor activities, eg kayaking, climbing, cycling, that kinda thing. What makes SA forums stand out are quality OP's in the threads, which catch everyone up to a certain level and provide good easy to access information for the uninitiated. Megathreads covering interesting hobbies and quality content are what bring me SA the most often.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I attempted to get those threads moved, the attitude from mods in QCS was "lol no".

Alas, megathreads being the cancer which is killing SA is knowledge which has been forgotten.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I had no idea this subforum existed until just now when I saw a mention in the Hiking and Backpacking Megathread.

I was going to post in the hammock thread here, but it's archived.

I recently ordered a Sparrow from Dream Hammock and a 20° Econ under-quilt from Hammock Gear. My wife and I plan to make our own tarps out of either 1.1oz silnylon or 0.9oz membrane silpoly.

I also recently planned a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. We'll be doing a couple nights of car camping and a couple nights of wilderness camping. I have the sites reserved already. I just need to book the flights (from Austin).

I'm super excited about both the trip and the hammock. I wish I had time to take the hammock on a proper hiking trip before then, but it probably won't arrive until late May, and it will likely already be hot as gently caress here. I'll have to make due with putting it up in the park and napping as test runs.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Here's a question for you dudes. Say you spontaneously decide to go hiking out your front door tomorrow morning. What's the longest distance you'll plan to hike before coming back home?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Psycho Society posted:

Here's a question for you dudes. Say you spontaneously decide to go hiking out your front door tomorrow morning. What's the longest distance you'll plan to hike before coming back home?

Depends on what kinda shape you're in, where, you're going, etc etc etc. Go to a metro park with water fountains and try a few miles, and keep adding from there. ~4 miles is a good starting target, I do 6-7 miles every Wednesday evening with a group at a fast 4+mph pace, 12-16 is a good day hike target (eg bringing lunch, a pack, several liters of water, etc). Backpacking overnight depends on terrain, but usually ~10-15 miles is a good target, maybe with some day hiking from the campsite.

People are capable of accomplishing a lot more than we think.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

walking right out my door I've done 11 miles around here. Took a lot of bars and water I think. Usually it's more like 6 miles

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Psycho Society posted:

Usually 10km/6 miles, but there was one I did last year that was 20km with 800m elevation gain.

Also, what about elevation gain? I think the highest I've gone on a last minute whim was 1450m/4750'. Usually unplanned scrambles and summits I keep to 800m/2600'or below.

Actually, have a video I made of going up that tall one, it was Mt. Burgess. My husband is the guy who went up the north peak, it's significantly harder and usually only sees a handful of entries in the summit registry each year. It's one of those "Slip at the crux and you're dead" kind of ridges. Not a lot of people can brave that kind of exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db1yP3VusbY

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the verge of a meltdown because no one wants to post funny things or even talk about conservation but love to talk about consumer products, god yes slather me with lube before I dare set foot out the door

Picnic will you probate me for a week so I don't do anything rash? Thanks

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Nerds turn every hobby into a boring mess of spreadsheets, spec lists, and attempts at making subjective things objective so that's not surprising. See any music or photography forum!

I sawed off my toothbrush, saving myself 0.45g which results in a potential saving of 500J of energy over an idealised walk of 20km. No I don't know how to cross a river, is there an app for that?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

if you don't like the gear thread go post in some of the other threads or make another one of your own. It's one thread and there are a bunch in here that have had people chilling and discussing different topics. it's not a highly traveled forum but having one thread where ome people talk about gear isn't a bad thing

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

if you don't like the gear thread go post in some of the other threads or make another one of your own. It's one thread and there are a bunch in here that have had people chilling and discussing different topics. it's not a highly traveled forum but having one thread where ome people talk about gear isn't a bad thing

This is a better idea. Also I can only giver 6ers.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ok, thank yous for helping talk me off the ledge, I'll stop composing my Dear Richard

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Epitope posted:

I'm on the verge of a meltdown because no one wants to post funny things or even talk about conservation but love to talk about consumer products, god yes slather me with lube before I dare set foot out the door

Picnic will you probate me for a week so I don't do anything rash? Thanks

lol if your unlubricated skin has ever touched cotton

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Any hope of getting the A/T fishing thread moved in here? There is the fish pic thread I started then forgot about, but the A/T one is better and has a ton of good info in it.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I think we should invest more in the having sex outdoors thread, it is guaranteed to pay dividends, I am sure plenty of upstanding people of SA can identify with that situation of getting some dirt on their knees.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hi, I plan on doing outdoor stuff this year. I'd like to use your subforum if that's cool.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hi, I plan on doing outdoor stuff this year. I'd like to use your subforum if that's cool.

Welcome! Post all you want, just don't be an rear end in a top hat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for the posts about how far you all walk spontaneously, they were all very fun to read (:

The most I've done is walk like 16 miles up and down a gentle 3000 ft rise. I like to time and check out the sights, weird rocks, maybe read a bit. The difficult part is timing it so I come before it gets dark and the mountain lions get hungry

• Locked thread