Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Has anyone else looked into the sources and citations in Chick tracts? Hoo boy, there's some good stuff in there.

Most of his anti-witchcraft and more conspiracy-leaning stuff is from Bill Schnoebelen, one of those obviously-lying "ex-Satanists" that were popular in the 80's and early 90's. He claimed that he was a high-ranking Satanic priest, a grandmaster Druid, a Wiccan high priest, a Knight Templar, a 90th degree Mason, a Gnostic bishop, a vampire, and a Mormon, all within about a 4 year period. He was a Catholic priest all throughout this, because the Catholic Church is secretly the source of all of these thungs. Oh, and he hosed a fallen angel once.

I'm not sure which scenario I like better: either Jack Chick bought all of that bullshit hook, line, and sinker, or he knew it was bullshit, but he hated Catholics SO MUCH that he pushed it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, if I recall correctly, Jack Chick is a Independent Fundamentalist Baptist. It's a sect of Christianity that doesn't like calling itself Protestant, because Protestants are an offshoot of the Catholics, and Catholics are pure evil. Like, I cannot stress how much these people hate Catholics.

In order to do this, they created an alternate history where TRUE Christianity stayed underground until fairly recently, and every church besides these hidden Shadow Churches has been doing it wrong for these past two millenia. However, they're also King James Only believers, so they simultaneously believe that they represent the true beliefs of the early church, but also, the true word of God was only given to us in the year 1611.

In reality, Independent Baptist churches are a trend that just started a few decades ago, when a bunch of ultra-conservative pastors left the Southern Baptist Convention because they thought it was too liberal and effeminate. But if you ask them, True Baptists were behind everything good that has ever happened, and everything bad in history is because those crafty Jesuits. For example, the American Revolution wasn't about taxes or independence, it was the True Baptist army of the Lord fighting off Catholic influence!

Really, Jack Chick can be seen as the ultimate example of Independent Baptist practice and beliefs. He expressed it through funny-looking cartoons instead of screaming it from a street corner, sure, but his beliefs essentially mirror "shock jock" pastors like Steven Anderson and Jason Cooley.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

To understand Jack Chick's worldview, just take the plot of the Assassin's Creed games, and then replace "Assassin" with "True Baptist Christian" and "Templar" with "Catholic Jesuit scum".

Like, I'm not even joking, that's seriously how they look at history and the world around them.

• Locked thread