Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

you kinda forget that people genuinely believed that stuff because its become so well known as myths and stories now a days.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I went to a Catholic high school for freshman and sophomore year, and one of the girls in religion class asked if witchcraft was real, and the teacher said that it could work, but it was really the devil doing his devil tricks, and not some earth goddess or whatever. Of course, a group of students from the class got together and tried some witch spells, and nothing happened, and a few of them ended up rejecting Catholicism as a whole because their witchcraft didn't work like they were told it would (clearly, in this instance, the devil's sneaky trick was not letting the witchcraft work).

I always wondered why they talk about witchcraft and bullshit like that when its clearly not real. I assume its because the bible has magic in it and if magics not real=bible isn't real=god isn't real kinda deal. i remeber there was that one about the baby vampire that goes to bite the virgin Christian girl and she basically says that magic cant harm christians or some bullshit. so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

OK, I'll grant you that one.

The evangelicals I grew up around simultaneously believed that magic was literally real and that there were people who practiced it and that literally everybody that claimed to practice magic was a fake using stage magic and sleight of hand because nobody can actually use magic. Similarly they believed in the same "God will forgive literally anything if you ask nicely enough" thing that Chick had going on while also believing that God will punish you for the sins of the father and that black people were thus stained and had a harder time getting into Heaven.

They were not the most consistent people.

thats pretty much what i have seen. they view everything is literal so it all has to be real but they know its bullshit so they have to make poo poo up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BooDoug187 posted:

Some reason this reminded me of like a selection menu on an old version of Civilization.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Has anyone else looked into the sources and citations in Chick tracts? Hoo boy, there's some good stuff in there.

Most of his anti-witchcraft and more conspiracy-leaning stuff is from Bill Schnoebelen, one of those obviously-lying "ex-Satanists" that were popular in the 80's and early 90's. He claimed that he was a high-ranking Satanic priest, a grandmaster Druid, a Wiccan high priest, a Knight Templar, a 90th degree Mason, a Gnostic bishop, a vampire, and a Mormon, all within about a 4 year period. He was a Catholic priest all throughout this, because the Catholic Church is secretly the source of all of these thungs. Oh, and he hosed a fallen angel once.

I'm not sure which scenario I like better: either Jack Chick bought all of that bullshit hook, line, and sinker, or he knew it was bullshit, but he hated Catholics SO MUCH that he pushed it anyway.

How the gently caress did this dumb jackoff believe any of this poo poo. does he know all people Schnoebelen and Alberto Rivera are just shithead con men and he just wants his bullshit to be true so hard that he ignoirs it or was he just genuily that stupid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

A real Christian would never lie. Since Alberto Rivera accepted Jesus in the correct way that Jack Chick approved of, that meant he was a real Christian and thus everything he said was completely true. So yeah, he was just genuinely that stupid. Since Chick really hated Catholicism, he was eager to buy into a dumbass conspiracy theory that they're the cause of every evil thing in the world.

indeed. jack chick reminds me alot of Kevin Swanson, who is probably the most bug gently caress crazy of the current crop of evangelicals.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/people/kevin-swanson/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

To understand Jack Chick's worldview, just take the plot of the Assassin's Creed games, and then replace "Assassin" with "True Baptist Christian" and "Templar" with "Catholic Jesuit scum".

Like, I'm not even joking, that's seriously how they look at history and the world around them.

holy poo poo. your loving right.

• Locked thread