Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radish posted:

I really appreciate the extra effort the witches put into tampering with candy. They already poisoned it all but you gotta make sure you put an evil curse on them too just to make sure.

The best part of that one is that it shows how utterly divorced from reality chick was. There are zero documented cases of somebody actually poisoning neighborhood kids on Halloween. Then again the 80s were a different time when evangelicals were panicking about absolutely everything all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah I always thought he was like a pseudonym for some church group

Well I mean it's a good thing that the death of one person has stopped those comics from coming out. Still won't stop motherfuckers giving them to me on the street though :argh:

You say that like nobody else will pick up the torch. They won't be chick tracts but we'll there are Internet comics written by crazy evangelicals already. How long until somebody creates chick 2.0?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, webcomics aren't really the same. I got Chick tracts on Halloween while trick or treating a few times as a kid. That ain't gonna happen with webcomics.

OK, I'll grant you that one.

MeLKoR posted:

Interestingly the catholic church always denied that witchcraft was real, people got burnt for heresy if they insisted on saying that they had real powers instead of simply having been deceived by the devil as the inquisition "explained" to them. Even so there were very few executions of witches in the south, that was largely a protestant phenomenon.

I think there was even a papal bull instructing clerics that so called witches were insane and to have great care in their inquisition (by the standards of the time).

The evangelicals I grew up around simultaneously believed that magic was literally real and that there were people who practiced it and that literally everybody that claimed to practice magic was a fake using stage magic and sleight of hand because nobody can actually use magic. Similarly they believed in the same "God will forgive literally anything if you ask nicely enough" thing that Chick had going on while also believing that God will punish you for the sins of the father and that black people were thus stained and had a harder time getting into Heaven.

They were not the most consistent people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

A real Christian would never lie. Since Alberto Rivera accepted Jesus in the correct way that Jack Chick approved of, that meant he was a real Christian and thus everything he said was completely true. So yeah, he was just genuinely that stupid. Since Chick really hated Catholicism, he was eager to buy into a dumbass conspiracy theory that they're the cause of every evil thing in the world.

Jack Chick is basically Confirmation Bias: the Human.

• Locked thread