Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Gobert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Remembering better times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKzoj7fP4dw

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

So he's like James Harden.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/bencfalk/status/859803850487853058

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

LeBron has been ducking the western conference his whole career.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

harden's 3 point fouls rule and i hope they don't change the rules at all

It probably wouldn't matter since Harden seems to be a telepath who can mindfuck defenders into doing things they absolutely know they're not supposed to do, that they've been coached for weeks to avoid doing, that they've practiced avoiding in their practise sessions against whatever Harden-substitute they drafted from their D League roster, and yet when they see Harden on the court their knees get weak they start to sweat and they cannot help reaching out and doing the only thing a defender is not supposed to do, which has been a different thing they're not supposed to do in every season. Harden's been doing this his whole career and people think just changing the rules will stop him. It doesn't matter what is legal or not, as long as something is illegal he will force defenders to do it. He can't be stopped until players develop a mindfuck-blocking headband or something.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The only thing of substance I've learned in the last five pages is that "ballers" isn't cool to say anymore.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Andre Roberson is a restricted free agent. How much would you offer him?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The raptors turned it over only 4 times and lost. I don't know what

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Drafting for position is one of the weirder talking points that always comes up about this time of year. Draft picks take at least one and more like two or three years before they're even close to contributing as starters, by which time your present starter is a useful trade piece or more likely on a new contract, probably with a different team.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

patonthebach posted:

I wish the NBA had officiating or calls called as consistently as NFL. NBA can be the most exciting sport but watching a smaller market team or lesser player is so frustrating. The star will get the foul call for the same play when the younger guy will only get it 40% of the tube

The casual arrow points the opposite way. Players are stars because they know how to draw fouls.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

DeRozan was #6 in the league in drawing fouls. If anyone's getting reputation calls, it's him.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Rick posted:

Illegal defense was rarely called more than once per team per game (so only a warning) and teams have literally always played zone.

Not in any reasonable sense of the term "zone".

This was the reality of pre 2002 basketball, everybody on the weak side, no two-nining, no digging, no shading towards the post. Look at Malone: he has to guard Rodman at the perimeter. No zone in the least. #3 was allowed to come off his man, but he had to stay on the weak side and above the FT line.

And what happens if a defender shaded towards the basket, like the guy in the middle here just under the FT line? The whistle got blown, as it did just after this screen shot.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the worst team to win the NBA championship in terms of overall talent?

The Antoine Walker Miami Heat

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

You don't have to whistle illegal defenses for the rule to have an effect. From the same game you linked to, here is Malone yelling and pointing at the two defenders illegally below the FT line:

One second later they get back to their normal positions, opening up the lane:

This happened all the time.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Someone said something about Gil Scott Heron so I know a non-zero amount about what you guys are talking about in the last few pages.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/presents19337502/houston-rockets-coach-mike-dantoni-having-more-fun-ever

quote:

Early this season, Brewer, who was traded to the Lakers in late February, took a pass on the baseline, drove, spun, shook two defenders with a 360 and missed a point-blank shot at the rim. "Coach, I did my thing," he told D'Antoni, "but then I got to the rim and just ran out of talent."

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Ray Charles made some great and terrible country records and if I had the energy I could relate that to the Chicago Bulls season somehow.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

There were giants on the earth in those days. it was the age of the centers. Ewings rep suffers from being compared to some of the greatest players of all time like Robinson, Hakeem, and Shaq, but he was just below those guys which means he was really loving good. He wasn't a great offensive player, but he was a dominant defender.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

You stats nerds: can anyone hook me up with some data? Bbref changed their site and it broke my scraper, unfixable for my skills currently. It's 6 sets per player so I dont want to do it by hand.

What do you want?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Per36, Advanced, and Per Game for Every player that qualified for MPG. 2nd year players+
It's for my MIP metric thingy. I just grabbed it by hand. I've got to go through it and fix some things but it was only about 1600 lines so shouldn't take me too long. Do you have a sub to some stats API?

That should be easily scrapable on b ref. Do you have a list of qualified players? pm me

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

In d league games they don't do poo poo for halftime and it's awesome.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Here are some pics of Fidel Castro playing hoops, I don't know how 66th take has not used these yet.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Someone voted Curry over Westbrook for 1st team. Will this brave soul ever reveal his identity?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Lockback posted:

No basketball for 6 days. So, uh. What do you guys want to talk about?

1. The draft
2. Free agency
3. Space Jam reboot casting options
4. Fast food
5. Which basketball player would be which rapper and vice versa
6. That clip of Iverson at the Nike game in 1992
7. Ten people Draymond should punch in the nuts

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://66thtake.wordpress.com/2017/05/31/breaking-the-press-part-3-everything-in-this-universe-is-a-psyop/

66th Take posted:

I would like to begin my formal investigation of the 2012 dunk contest by considering what it can tell us about parliamentary democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.thescore.com/news/1313931

quote:

Royce White, who saw his brief Association career derailed in part due to mental health issues, scored 34 points and grabbed 15 rebounds in London's 129-116 clinching win over the Halifax Hurricanes. White was also named NBL MVP this season.

:)

• Locked thread