Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He made three NBA All Defensive teams guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Spring Break My Heart posted:

This seems like an aggressively poor measure to go by.

Not really. He wasn't Michael Cooper, but he was a very good defender.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Papercut posted:

He only had seasons that were comparable if you ignore every single advanced stat and several counting stats.

Averaging 30/9/7 with 90%+ FT and 40+% from 3 is pretty comparable unless you're going to nerd out.

And the most important thing?

Larry Bird never blew 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I assume so. The rfa max just means ' solid starter' money now, it's hard to get used to

Can we get 10 or so NBA players to fund a new version of slamball that's played until one team is dead due to traps and pitfalls on the court

Well the Pelicans seem to have lost one of those slamball matches already.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Gobert signing a 4/$100 as well.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Dissect this

Iman "Tasteful Whiteface" Shumpert

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

tatankatonk posted:

What does Steven Adams do really well? I don't mean to be snide, it's just that i've always thought his game is so workmanlike that he just kind of fades into the background until somebody like zach lowe points out that he does X unusually well

Danny Chau wrote a good article last week.

https://theringer.com/steven-adams-new-oklahoma-city-thunder-star-nba-436156b161b7#.pox8zcwan

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Zogo posted:

If you put 2016 Curry and his shooting into the 1980s NBA his team might go 80-2 and sportscasters, gov't agencies would be saying he was an alien or a USSR biogenetic experiment that escaped the lab.

Until someone like Rick Mahorn-esque mofo crushed him into Bolivia. I'm also not sure how well he'd handle the hand checking that he doesn't have to deal with today.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

His mom's Tongan, and Tongans have the coolest tattoos on the planet

Tongans are loving awesome.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Metapod posted:

This is a pro loving click

Kyrie high as poo poo.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rubio might be out for a significant amount of time.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Zogo posted:

Checking would be relegated to irrelevance when he's launching 3P shots from 25-30 feet out. Nobody in the 1980s was close to doing anything like that.

This is chicken/egg. People would stationary check all the time on the perimeter, but that wasn't something that began at 22'-23'. They let poo poo go everywhere after half court.

You're assuming he'd be allowed to get to that range to the same degree that he is today. He'd still be a great shooter, but that signature super side step move doesn't have the same effectiveness when refs allow a defender's hand to grab/push/guide.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Jerami Grant traded to OKC for Ersan.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

cravius posted:

1-29 protected

I'm seeing 1-20 protected which is a bit more fair.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ersan probably demanded a trade because Kanter wouldn't stop talking to him about Gulenism

Ersan is most likely an Uzbek.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Metapod posted:

Okay phili answer these grant questions for me please:
Can grant pass well?
Is grant a good decision maker?
Can he finish around the rim?

So so.
So so.
Yes.

He'll block a lot of shots and play solid defense. He was an incredible perimeter defender his first year, but he's put on a lot of muscle weight since.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/AschNBA/status/793521721231962112

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Noctone posted:

if i could go back in time and video record any one moment it'd probably be "merry loving christmas"

Poor poor Chuck Person.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

No non Sixers fan has ever agreed with me in the NBA thread

This is a day of joy and reflection

Can we all agree that Evan Turner is not a very good basketball player and that it was silly to think otherwise.

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/793670251011465216

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I thought we all agreed on that years ago

There was a bit of false hope after some of his play on the Celtics.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

They're both pretty bad.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

dokmo posted:

Prozingus could not looked like less of a basketball player tonight.

He was super pissy after being benched for the 4th quarter the other night.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/794022234801270784

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The only thing that could have salvaged this game would have been if Saric decked Spencer Hawes.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/SBNationNBA/status/794038637293748224

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The 3-1 meme is not going away soon.

https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/794039049015017472

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Boston, infamously so.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

KD v Russell.

Tonight @ 7:30 PM left coast time.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Spoeank posted:

TNT is crazy if they have them live on mic

Sheed is pretty chill off the court. I'm not sure if that means he'll behave perfectly on broadcast TV, but he won't be leaping across the table to choke anyone.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Simmons is back to his old 'the Celtics almost pulled of this massive trade!!!" schtick.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/794285182949933056

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

Hopin we get an epic Sheed rant about Flint.

I'm revising my earlier statement; he might go off on this.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Tae posted:

I understand the 76ers and Dirk-less Mavs being super poo poo, but why are the Wizards winless? Isn't their team mostly healthy except for Mahimi?

Gortat is a bit older, Beal is a shooter who isn't shooting well, Wall has played okay but isn't shooting well from distance and is turning over the ball 6+ times a game, Oubre hasn't taken the next step, Morris is soso. Oddly enough Otto Porter has played pretty well.

Wall is my dark horse candidate to be traded in the upcoming offseason.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Spacebump posted:

He was later quoted saying he probably would have resigned with Denver if they didn't trade him due to them being able to offer the most.

Carmelo said a lot of things; a few years later he also said that he was never going to re-sign in Denver because everyone else on the team was expiring and he didn't want to be stuck rebuilding.

Nirwad is right as far as I recall. He made a quiet, but very forceful push for NYC.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

predicto posted:

I don't get the love for Hubie Brown. He's horrible - everything he says is obvious and meaningless.

"Ok, look, look right here, he dribbles left and then, see, he goes up and, right here, he shoots the ball, you see, that's how you do it...." Horrible.

To be fair to Hubie he is absolutely ancient. Younger Hubie was really good.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

troofs posted:

How would you feel about Porzingis growing some long crazy hair and a weird moustache? I feel like it could be really good or really bad.

Do you want another Adam Morrison? Because that's how you get another Adam Morrison.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Eddie Jones was awesome.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ClevisMurray/status/794940758897885184

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

What makes you say that Noel for Joseph thing is fake? It is known that Toronto has interest in Noel, that's been reported by several different guys over the last couple of months. It makes sense for Toronto to trade for him mid season too, since with Lowry opting out and certain to get the max and Pattterson and Sullinger both UFAs the only way they are going to be able to add bigman depth is if they're on the team and can be resigned. They won't be signing anyone in FA outside the midlevel.

The source is Celtics reporters.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hey Jrue.. I know your wife just had brain surgery and a baby but could you maybe come back a little sooner...

At this point Lauren Holliday might have to moonlight as their PG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kibner posted:

I just laugh at it now. Laugh until I cry.

Or was it cry until I laugh? Either way, there are tears and my tummy hurts.

<insert name of Pelicans player here> went on the IR today.

Or was it yesterday.

• Locked thread