Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That is a very good OP.

Real basketball starts today. I guess that is how I'll describe the Knicks.

Also, lurkers should post more. Even if its just kinda white noise, we're all black friends here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Anthony Randolph jumped over a man in Spain

*VIDEO*

Anthony Randolph would legit be an all-star or maybe even MVP-candidate type player if he didn't have maybe the lowest BBIQ of any human being I've ever seen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Apparently Gilbert Arena's is finally no longer getting an NBA paycheck.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LarksTongues posted:

Lurker checking in for the first time, I've been following this thread for years. As a wizards fan is there any silver lining this year? Obviously Durant wasnt going to happen, but we are counting on beal to stay healthy for a whole year, our bench is atrocious, and I still cant believe we panic traded a 1st last year for Morris. Oh and Scotty Brooks...

Wizards will be a pretty decent team for a while, I think they are better than their record last year. Now you're stuck in that "Need a Lucky Break" to get to the next level. It's not the worst place to be in, you'll be following a 45 win team that will make at least a little noise in the playoffs every year.

If they find a gem in the draft or make a smart signing they could be a 50 win team pretty quickly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

"LeBron had spent 13 years cruising through his career without a signature series or moment" - Bill Simmons, NBA super fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHaSiWClteQ

He was 23 years old.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Adun posted:

I assume you're supposed to read it like the annoying home announcer constantly spamming DEEEEEE-TROIT BASKETBALL

Also I really love #TakeNote for the Jazz

"#Knicks"

I like how some media teams forgot to reply to the email

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

OKC stole their name and history

Actually I don't know if that's true, I think it is... http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/2/20/2811279/nba-in-seattle-supersonics-team-name

It's sorta complicated:

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/5060/clay-bennett-didn-t-exactly-give-up-that-sonic-legacy

They have their intellectual property rights still, Bennett didn't take those. They can be the Supersonics again. if a new team comes in they could have shared history with Oklahoma, AKA, OKC and Seattle will have the same history. Bennett has also said he'd give back rights. Its worth noting OKC does not have gold tabs on their Jersey's despite Seattle's championship win, so I assume they'd have no concerns giving up the history.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I'd assume OKC would just let them have the Sonics history and no longer recognize it for their own team. Nobody there should care about what Payton, Kemp, etc did. The only numbers I think they'd want intact at this point are Nick Collison, I can't imagine he holds many if any SEA/OKC franchise records.

I really, really want to be a fly in the wall when lawyers sit down to negotiate Nick Collison's historic 9pt, 9reb seasons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Westbrook is going to average a triple double and OKC will win 37 games

I'm pretty excited for this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dale Ouise posted:

Why doesn't NBA offer single team packages for League Pass anymore? I wanted to save a bit and just buy the Minnesota games.

They do? It's called NBA Team Pass and it's $119
http://www.nba.com/leaguepass

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Nerlens Noel chooses to have elective surgery the day before the season starts.

He's not going to play for the Sixers again I don't think.

Get hurt on company time, recoup on company dime. My man.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dale Ouise posted:

nba app was holding out on me, fuckin hell

You are right to want to watch MN primarily, but it seems like the extra $80 is worth it for getting the rest of the teams.

Minnesota is actually broadcasting all games this year! Which is notable because an actual NBA franchise was not broadcasting a handful of games up until now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

the warriors are literally saying that losing this game is good because it's a "refreshing slap in the face" as though losing in the finals when you were up 3-1 and then getting poo poo on by anyone with a pulse all summer wasn't enough of a "slap in the face". Just say you sucked and move on you idiots.

What else are they going to say? People forget that it takes a while for teams to gel when they bring in ball-dominant stars. They forgot with the Heat, and forgot with the Cavaliers. Golden State is going to start something like 13-9 and then start looking like a beast. They may as well start the "We have a lot of work to do" narrative now, so when then go on a 14 game win streak in February they can say "We've had a long road and had to do a lot of work, but we're finally the team our fans deserve."

It's a process, brolic. Like Saint Hinkie says, trust it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also happy to see Kevin Love's 23/10. This will be the year of Love's resurgence.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What's the grey market service we're using this year? New league pass is loving terrible.

Here is the link with my shameless promotion code in it

http://reborn4hdlive.org/en/register/?ref=6da2c407

It's $100 for the season, no blackouts. It was really good last year except for a 2-3 week period where the streams shat out, this year for Pre-season and yesterday its been really solid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Every night I sleep on a pile of my posts from 2010-2016 arguing that Kevin Love is not as bad as a defender as everyone thinks + a 3D printed rendition of this scene, so no. I have not forgotten. But I do think him missing the all-star game last year was a stupid omission and I want him to put up a 25/12 season again to shut everyone up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KD did get 10 boards last night, so harping on him about missing one is maybe a bit unfair.

KD isn't a great lockdown guy, he's at his best when you can stick him on someone relatively non-explosive and let him roam and switch when his length will pester someone. His defense can really help a team, but yeah. If he plays a lot of 4 I think it will hurt against a lot of teams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

rngd in the womb posted:

It says $65/season for me? How are they on account sharing?

New League Pass seems worse. I'm sharing an account with 7 people, and I couldn't load Portland vs Utah even though not all 8 were on. I wonder if it's something to do with my Chromebook or location. Anyone got an idea on why this could be happening?

Maybe $65 because of the referral? I don't know! I don't know how account sharing works with them, but they do log you off every few days so I am guessing they try to prevent people from doing it....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

I still hate LeBron, but god drat is he good at basketball.

What is the rule for goal tending when the ball is above the cylinder but not at the apex of the arc yet?

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11.html?nav=ArticleList

You cannot touch the ball in the cylinder at all, but the ref has to consider it a chance to score. The angle of a ball being above the cylinder, not moving down, and still having a chance to score seems pretty small.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

LeBron blocked a finger roll from the front of the rim that was probably going in last night. Seemed like it should have definitely been a goaltend.

I am perfectly content if the refs consider the situation "Lebron breathing down your neck and you try a drat finger roll???" to be a situation in which the ball was not going into the basket.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lockback, just looping back to earlier: Kevin Durant had 0 contested rebounds last night. Only pulled down 1.5 a game last season. He's not a good rebounder.

I always hate the "contested Rebound" stat. Durant has rebounded well his entire career. If you think it's complete luck that he has always gotten around 7-8 boards a game from the 3 position, I am not sure what to say but at some point I think you have to admit he is good at getting in position and not needing to contest his boards.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ratzinc posted:

Good to see the cavs put on a show during that blowout. Noah looks done out there, via the EYE TEST and stats. Derrick Rose still can't make layups at a consistent basis even though he's getting to the rim pretty easily. Zingis looked lost in the first half, hopefully his role doesn't shrink this year.

I disagree about Noah, his defense looked ok and he was still doing stuff on the floor, just not things that ended up in the box score. However, the Knicks looked pretty good when he was on the floor and they looked like dog poop when he sat.

Rose looked really good to start and then started pressing and took his team out of it. So....basically 2015-2016 Derrick Rose. Sorry Knick's fans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You get a lot of rebounds as a forward by playing 35 min a game and being tall. I dont think Griffin is particularly good on the dboards. The underlying rebounding statistics are very useful in telling who actually wins rebounds which becomes considerably more important if you're a poor rebounding/small team

He has the 2nd best DRB% of any SF behind only Thad Young (who I can't remember if he plays mostly the 3 or the 4, so Durant might be the best). There are lots of tall guys who don't do nearly as well.

I don't think he is an elite rebounder, but he is really good and the fact that other players don't contest the boards he gets shouldn't be an indictment against him.

Edit: AND I think we just lost all those cool new lurkers-turned-posters

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 26, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is a weird way to spin it.

I recorded these statistics last season and it's pretty clear that there's a good correlation between being qualitatively good at rebounding and pulling down contested rebounds. It's not like the best guys get less contested boards. The stats and the eye test match up pretty darn well.

All of the other good guys grab a lot. Giannis and MKG were the best SFs last season. Rudy Gay and LeBron shortly after. The best SG was PJ Tucker by a mile.

So I guess what is your explanation as to why he consistently rebounds near the top of his position? Luck, there are rebounds other players don't care about? I can see pointing to those stats over a short amount of time to say someone is just having the ball bounce his way, but at some point it stops becoming luck.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm on mobile so this is going to be a bad example, but is Russell Westbrook better at rebounding than Blake Griffin? They grab roughly the same number per game, but Griffin grabs two times as many contested boards. Rebounds are not all created equal. Empty rebounding for stars has been a thing forever.

E: RWB is still ridiculous for his position

I think its gets harder to compare across positions like that, but Westbrook is one of the best rebounding guards in the league, if not the best. And somewhat ironic you use him because how many of these free rebounds did OKC have bouncing around out there last year?

I don't think Durant is Elite across positions, but I do think he is very good for a wing player, and I'll even concede he is not as good as other, lower DRB% guys who may have higher contest %s. But I still maintain he is good and at some point a lower contest% just means you got yourself in a position where you don't need to fight for your boards.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Was having an interesting discussion. In a one-game playoff which player would you rather have right now: Ricky Rubio or Mike Conley?

I'd rather watch Rubio. It depends on the rest of the roster makeup, but Conley probably fits into most other lineups a lot better than Rubio. In this theory world I can probably put together a 4 man lineup that I'd rather have Rubio driving, though.

This coming from someone who is a huge Rubio fan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ratzinc posted:

I wonder if Matthews and Barnes will shoot higher than 40% tonight...is there still room on the Wolves bandwagon?

There is lots of room. We have hotdishes and passive-aggressive comments aplenty.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

With Duncan retired we might have a contender for "Most likely NBA player to be an SA Goon".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ratzinc posted:

No, since he doesn't shoot a ton, so it's not that big an issue. He makes the offense work compared to when he's off the floor.

How'd I do?

Very well, I would have also accepted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAM8IKwf2Q

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Crab rangoon, things of that nature.

Its worth sharing the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/212767135901024256

And what the hell.

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/492741034749620224

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I just realized that no one blew up their team last year. The biggest midseason "we are now tanking" trade last year was probably Kieff to Washington.

Bulls weirdly blew up their team. Not really for picks for a very different, weird team. They are really only playing 1 starter from last year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Hawks gave Schroeder 4/$70.

I feel like that is a lot but I just don't know anymore.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, in case anyone is wondering, Minnesota's bench is still complete horseshit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TIMBERWOLVES RECAP

I still cannot believe Memphis hit 11 3s at 45% clip. I guess I don't feel as bad Minnesota losing a close game because if Memphis is hitting their shots like that, what do you do?

Minnesota's bench looked like hot garbage, and that is concerning. Aldrich was ok (but he is the 3rd best center on the team). Brandon Rush looked worthless. Bjelica still does not look like an NBA player, and Shabazz had a quiet night (which, to be fair, his whole career he either is changing a game or invisible).

Kris Dunn was weird. The kid can get to the rim, but I don't think he played like a PG at all. His two misses were both terrible decisions, but he hit 4 nice shots. Watching him this preseason and this game he strikes me more like a DeRozan than a true PG. I dunno, its early in his career but I am not sure what direction he'll go yet.

LaVine looks like he took a step up from last year, and Wiggins took over the game for a while which is really nice to see.

KAT. KAT started the game on a tear and then completely disappeared into a quagmire of hesitation and bad shot selection. However, his defense is a lot better. For those who watched last year KAT wasn't the primary rim protector most of the time. This year he is. He still switches on screens and can defend smaller players on the perimeter, but now he will also be the first guy down in the paint. Last night's game the refs were letting a lot of contact go, but KAT was doing a great job going vertical and generally bothering shots. I mean, it was still Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol down there so they still had success but I was really happy with how he looked. He's not at "Elite Anchor" level yet, but he's far ahead where most 2nd year bigs are. His 3 point shooting also looks legit, but his shot selection needs to get better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is there a site that gives an easy time-on/time-off subs for players? I'd love to fire up the replay of the 76ers game to watch Embiid's minutes but it'd be nice to know what game-time he subbed on and off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thanks, I kinda want the full Embiid experience, off-ball, misses, etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

Popcornmachine.net

Hover over the colored blocks and it'll give you exact times.

Perfect, thanks!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jota posted:

He looked so good at things that he could obviously just drill over and over. You could tell that he didn't have a very great feel for things you are going to pick up from just playing 5 on 5 games, like feeling the double coming and passing out of it or how the defense rotates, but he seems like he learns incredibly quickly. His timing for blocking shots looked good though and so did his footwork. A lot to be insanely excited about.

I love that he has a nice shot too. I guess that happens when it's about all you can do for two years.

I agree. He made some dumb plays defensively for sure, including giving Steven Adams a clear lane to the basket several times in a row. Offensively he is kinda lazy with his passes and needs to be in better position before he starts his post moves. All that said, his footwork is amazing, his vision for the game looks good, and his physical attributes are ridiculous. His weaknesses are just rookie stuff.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pubic works project posted:

I could make a mint if I had a shirt printing company with all the demands that SAS and TFF have for shirts.

IcePhoenix posted:

you'd actually lose a lot of money because nobody will actually buy the shirts once you print them

You'll get back the first shipment in December and no one will remember why we were so excited about Myles Turner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ANY player who sets lots of screens will end up setting lots of illegal screens because they don't get called often, so why not? Defensive bigs don't do much on offense other than set screens, ergo....

ANSWER: I don't recall Yao setting a lot of illegal screens.

• Locked thread