Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Whiteside had an assist today. It was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

I gave Knightman a swift kick tonight. A win for humanity and a loss for the Kings

You should text that to that robot app.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

No, because he didn't get pushed out because the pieces didn't fit. He got pushed out because parts of ownership got shook and the league applied pressure. Porzingis would've been a really really good fit to have, but from what I've heard ownership actually was against picking him although Hinkie was interested.

I got my bro a shirt that had a bust of Hinkie on it and said "2013-2016" on it and he got to wear it to the game for Embiid's debut where everyone high fived and celebrated over Embiid, Simmons, the Process, and Sam Hinkie.

Zingis avoided the 76ers like LeBron's avoiding Khloe Kardashian.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

He only did one on-court workout for NBA teams before the draft but Hinkie went several times to Spain to see him, and I heard the Sixers had seen more of King Zing than any other franchise
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150613_Sixers__taking_a_closer_look_at_European_star.html
http://www.phillyvoice.com/reports-sixers-ownership-pressured-sam-hinkie-take-jahlil-okafor-over-kristaps-porzingis/

This is the story I was going off of:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-unlikely-story-of-how-kristaps-porzingis-found-his-way-to-the-knicks-072828935.html

quote:

Whatever happened, Miller didn't make it easy for Philadelphia to draft Porzingis at No. 3. The Sixers wouldn't be afforded Porzingis' physical, nor get a private workout, nor even a face-to-face meeting. After most of the pro day executives cleared out of the gym in Vegas in mid-June, 76ers general manager Sam Hinkie lingered to meet with Miller. Hinkie stopped him in the lobby area and asked Miller about a chance to sit down and visit with Porzingis.

"You said that I would get a meeting with him here," Hinkie told Miller.

"I said, 'I'd try,' and it's not going to work out, Sam," Miller responded.

An awkward silence lingered, the GM and agent, standing and staring. The Porzingis camp wanted no part of the Sixers' situation at No 3. Miller couldn't stop Philadelphia from drafting Porzingis, but he could limit the information they had to make a decision. And did. No physical. No meeting. No workout. The Sixers passed on Porzingis on draft night, clearing the way for the Knicks to select him.

Of course, Woj may have been playing politics by framing the story the way he did it. Just interesting that there are two dissenting stories.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Props Department posted:

This ties into something I've been thinking about lately. Do you think that basketball media downplays the importance of agent/front office relationships in evaluating signings and transactions? Like we heard that agents hated Hinkie for depressing players' value and his infamous 4-year minimum contracts, and that Dan Fegan had a lot of sway over Dallas's management for the last few years. Are there other storylines like this we're missing out on, or do reporters shy away from talking about player representation because it's just not that interesting?

Honestly, it's probably because the agents are the ones leaking the stories.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Is McBuckets an Alpha?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

What's Buddy Hield's chuck status?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Dale Ouise posted:

Should I pick up NBA 2k17 if I want to try to understand the sport better?

Yessssss. You'll learn defense and how players use off ball movement to get open shots.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

The Heat announcers are the best. They sound like a middle aged couple secretly wanting a divorce but trying to keep it together for the kids.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

OKC was on the 2nd night of a B2B. I'll give them a pass.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Papercut posted:

Also they were playing a much better team than them.

Yeah but I think on a normal night's rest OKC could lose by 10 instead of close to 30.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Forgot Beasley was on the Bucks.

Lol @ Delly watching film like a nerd.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Maybe I'm just being a big Knicks baby, but the only real big fuckup in that clip was Jennings -> Kuz. There was ball movement, open looks, and actual good rebounding that the Knicks haven't done in years with any sort of consistency, the shots just weren't falling.

The shots would fall if they were a good basketball team.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Still nice to see the things I listed :shobon:

I immediately sent the video to my best friend who's a Knicks fan and this is what he had to say:

"When I watch it again, what I still see is a team that can offensive rebound and create second chance scoring opportunities!"

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Westbrook not passing to him on the final possession down 2 when he's been 4 of 5 from three....no surprise.

0 percent of the superstars in the league would do that so I guess you're right it's no surprise.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Why do the Cavs have 2 mascots?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

EvanTH being an rear end in a top hat makes me want to cheer for Steph Curry now take him sad.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I was gonna post something about Shaq being a reserve office for the Miami Dade police but then I stumbled into his leaked emails and found this exchange:

DIESELDOGMAFIA posted:

Westling: I feel bad we lost contact. Hope you are well. I live in LA now so hit me up if you ever come out there
-dominica

Shaq: O my god were r u can i have u bak i miss u to whts yur number pls baby i want u bak do u love me

[Twenty-three days later, Dominica sends Shaq an email with only the subject line "Muuaaahhh" and a photo that, judging by his reaction, didn't depict a tray of freshly baked cookies.]

Shaq: Where can I cum at when I c u

Dominica: All over me, where do you wanna cum?

Shaq: In u foreva

Dominica: I miss that

I'd say he deserves it.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Spite posted:

Fab Melo!

Also last I saw Gucci Mane he was a wreck. Looks like he's toned down on the lean.

He went to jail and got buff.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I watched this Harvard vs Standford college bball game that took place in China for some reason and it was sponsored by some company called Alibaba. Bill Walton was on commentary and proceeded to shill the poo poo out of that company the whole time.

They also showed him having a blast at Chinese Disneyland, which was pretty great.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

This has been swirling for a while. Bulls aren't trading Butler, and Deng and that contract could probably be had for less than Rubio, but I'd also be surprised if the Lakers would be keen to start messing with chemistry while they're at .500 and in a playoff spot.

Gibson is interesting, but I'd be surprised if the Bulls would try to move him right now.

Anyway, for as click baity as that it, in interviews Thibs has been talking about how this is a long road and there isn't a quick fix.

I don't think Walton would want to stunt Russell's development as a PG for a quick upgrade in Rubio.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

RaySmuckles posted:

i don't think lebron is the GOAT

i think he's amazing. a generational talent

but not the goat.

he more than anyone has benefitted from the dumpster fire that is the east. even after forming the super heat team he underperformed tremendously against the Mavs, barely beat the spurs in '13, and got shattered in '14.

of his 3 finals victories: 1 was all-time great, 1 was exciting but not because of lebron, and 1 was against a thunder team that over performed to get there. granted, that's 3 finals wins, one of which is historic, but don't let recency bias fool you, his other two weren't exactly for the record books.

of his 4 losses: 1 was an obliteration that he experienced due to being from one of the weakest conferences ever (and subsequently wouldn't see the finals until 4 seasons later (celtics, magic, celtics). the next was against a Mavs team that had no business winning, but did and it was awesome. then he got beaten historically by a vengeful Spurs team. and finally in a battle decided by fate when the banged up cavs lost to the warriors.

he's had his moments both extremely good AND extremely bad

don't get me wrong, he's amazing. he's awesome and by far the best player around today. but i don't think he's the greatest to ever play. in my opinion he benefits more from physical superiority than basketball skill. many of his skills on both ends are inconsistent. and most importantly, his finals record is grossly inflated because of the historical embarrassment that is the eastern conference. it is just getting good this year after over a decade of suck. i remember more than one year where sub-500 teams were making the playoffs.

i try to keep an open mind, but at the same time i think its important to take his whole career and the context of his era into consideration rather than let one of the most enjoyable finals series ever completely color my perspective.

if the 2016 finals was an historic win that should count for him, the 2014 finals were an historic dismantling that should also count against him (also 2011 when he didn't perform well).

tl;dr i think lebron is awesome, cool, good, and an all time great, but i don't think he's the GOAT

i think jordan is the goat

Nah he's the GOAT.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

They should already be in better shape than they are, something's up. Something fishy. Everyone hates Scott Brooks and Breadley Beal. And Ted

Steph's shoes caused Under Armor to lose 600 million dollars http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18093859/under-armour-stock-plummeted-ceo-says-latest-steph-curry-shoe-not-doing-well-expected

Of value, not actual $600 million in cash.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Wow, thanks for clearing that up.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but when WWE's stock price dropped every headline said they lost 500 million dollars and people thought legitimately 500 million dollars just disappeared.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I think the more important question is whether LeBron is top 5 all time.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

What the hell man

It's an actual conversation on nba.com:

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/02/blogtable-lebron-james-one-top-5-greatest-players-ever

I heard Snoop Dogg gave his opinions on the subject but I can neither confirm or deny if Snoop believes LeBron is top 5 all time.

Also, I would vote for the Rock over LeBron. Think about Rocky posting an Instagram photo at 5 30 am in the middle of his 2nd workout of the day. No foreign leader would gently caress with that.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

Blazers and Thunder will both probably be in the playoffs unless you have some weird view on what the Western Conference is going to look like. They've also beat the Raptors, Celtics, Hawks and Bucks so they are doing a pretty good job against Eastern playoff teams too. The warriors are playing fine, they are a victim of unrealistic expectations, but by almost any metric they are playing better than any other NBA team right now.

People are just trying to talk themselves into believing in anything other than the inevitable outcome.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Tres Alphas coming through again.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Perhaps the Cavs have chemistry issues

Shouldn't have let Mozgov go smdh.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

#ProjectStopZomeone Please retweet to help us raise awareness about the extra dimensional entity who has been unfairly influencing the basketball games

Sorry I'm on Punkin's side in this one.

https://twitter.com/desertwaffle/status/804912009993064448

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I got cable so now I watch a lot of Lakers games. I've liked watching Ingram play so far but haven't done any research to see if he's been good or not.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Going that hard in on something usually means you're a liar and you're trying to convince yourself of your own bullshit. I hope the new CBA has a "No Draymond Greens" provision in it.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

EvanTH posted:

ahh the Brett Favre "I don't care how it's spelled" rules of name-saying ugh how am I supposed to know it's Pertle

Goethe is pronounced "gerta."

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

BWV posted:

imagine working for the best company in your field, being at the top of your industry, and deciding that this was the best picture to use when they credit your accomplishments:

I used to hate Windhorst because I thought everything he said he just made up, but then LeBron left the Heat and I realized he was right the whole time. Now I respect his reporting.

Also Brian Cardinal was the custodian, not the janitor.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

But that Warriors defense sure is questionable, huh?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

They sure shut down the mighty pacers

Not what I meant. If you score 146 who gives a poo poo how your defense plays?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Rick posted:

The playoffs.

I don't see any other team matching that scoring output. I know things get slower in the playoffs but, again, I think you're just fooling yourself if you think their defense is some fatal flaw. It's like two years ago when there was questions about whether they could win a title with their turnover problem.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Rick posted:

Indiana shot 41%? Good night for them! Only partly a joke.

The basketball-reference/playoffs of basketball is littered with great (better than the Warriors!) offensive teams with no titles.

I guess I could see the Clippers challenging the Warriors.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Rick posted:

If the playoffs were today I'd predict the Rockets to beat them in a shoot-out in the second round.

But, unlike the Rockets I do think the Warriors team will start to play good defense against good teams as the season goes on.

What defense / offensive combo do you see posing a threat to the Warriors? Generally interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I guess we can definitely know that Scott Brooks is a terrible coach and not flip flop back and forth on the issue like we did last year.

• Locked thread