Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Juaguocio posted:

The way Sean Elliott talks like he's still playing on the Spurs is intolerable to me.

As for major network announcers: I don't really like the pairing of Marv & C-Webb that we're seeing this season, but anything is better than Marv & Reggie.

They don't have chemistry, but at least Webber tries to explain basketball plays and generally help the viewer understand why what happened happned, much better than Reggie's sufferin sccotash routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

They dumped him so they could get Noah because Good Noah is like a perfect Triangle Center. Except Good Noah is dead and Phil is running that team into the ground as vengeance for the 90s.

Phil is so smart, he understands knick fan psychology perfectly. He satisfied them with fake star power, fake new york grit, and various odds and ends that will make games compelling enough to watch but will ultimately result in a decent pick. He's doing a good job at stealth tanking, he's too smart for it to be anything else.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

It was a bad show. I hope Robert Mays gets a job somewhere else and keeps podcasting because I enjoy it. Maybe espn will rehire him and we can get the old grantland NFL podcast back

HBO is going to have to find something else to reach that dwindling male demo. Or maybe all their male 18-24 stuff is on cinemax, that's why it has Banshee and the Knick

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 4, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marc Stein: ESPN sources say Houston’s latest offer to Donatas Motiejunas is a multiyear deal that starts at a fully guaranteed $7 million in Year 1. Motiejunas is still a restricted FA after letting his $4.4M qualifying offer expire. Incentives can take latest Houston offer into $8M range

8m is like 10 minutes per game player sort of money. His back must be really messed up

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

41% 3-point ace Dwyane Wade just hit 3/4 3's tonight.

Is this the longest con for a lovely shooter to suddenly knock it down like he's klay thompson?

7.2 attempts per game at 19.4% is Klay Thompson through 5
What if Durant turns him into last year's Danny Green

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The warriors need actual rim protection, not just weakside shot blocking and fumbled lobs
That's why they need to sign the narcissist, Larry Sanders

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

Barnes and Durant is lateral to a moderate upgrade. Bogut/Ezeli to Zaza/West is a massive downgrade.

I was really uncertain wether Ezeli was good in metrics because of network effects or because he was actually good, maybe he was.

Durant needs to get beaten up by Kevon Looney or something so he understands to rebound and set screens and so on, that's how it would work in the ABA

Mostly I want to watch my team beat the other team, golden state is not interesting.

Things that seem interesting so far, to me, personally, as a person.
1. The Pistons succeeding in spite of my nemesis, Reggie Jackson, being injured
2. Hawks winning more than losing without Teague, Horford, with Howard and Thabo
3. Jazz losing when they're supposed to be the new good team, Alec Burks never healing
4. Joffrey Lauvergne not being allowed to play small forward in OKC

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 5, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kevon Looney looks like a slimmer Greg Oden

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mandrel posted:

It's really funny reading Warriors fans takes about how as soon as Durant learns how to move off the ball and set stronger screens this whole thing is just gonna unlock.

He should though :sigh:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I want credit for thinking DeMarre Carroll sucked way before anyone else

Maybe the spurs role player curse migrated to Atlanta

Jack's Flow posted:

All Star Cedric Ceballos? That's my jam.

edit:

If a player has hair like this

don't sign him. Easy rule to follow.

Long hair is really for football players and hockey players. Keep it short. John Wooden was right about everything. Basketball is all about having your socks on right and a fresh haircut

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 6, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I think the raptors have the personnel to make Nerlens fit? But is Nerlens good? Or can he ever be good? Is he worth Joseph, is joseph expiring or something?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Hey Jrue.. I know your wife just had brain surgery and a baby but could you maybe come back a little sooner...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Just pull a Sam Mitchell and force Buddy Hield to learn ballhandling by playing him at point guard

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

I live like 90 minutes from there. :(

We are down to only Tim Frazier as a lead ball-handler.

I want this so bad.
Steve Blake and Will the Thrill Bynum are currently free agents

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

I appreciate that losing Lance Stephenson is considered a hardship

Were there two months of Xavier Munford, Lance, and Jamychal Green winning half of their NBA games last year in Memphis, was that a beautiful dream?? Then they fired the coach that made it happen. Pelicans need a Dave Joerger esque performance from Alvin Gentry

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hand Knit posted:

The Raptors took a point guard in the first round two drafts ago, so I wonder if they feel like Delon is capable of being the backup PG now. If they do think Delon is ready, it makes sense to move Joseph for an upgrade at PF. But, like, if Delon is ready.

I don't know if I've seen him play a single minute but he seems like he was born to be an okay third guard

Jack's Flow posted:

Embiid and Rodriguez are very fun to watch. The rest of the roster, sadly, not so much. Also, Ilyasova is like Jeff Green insofar that fans are usually excited when their team gets him, but after a couple of weeks/months they realize that the dude is just blah.

edit:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/795248888324247553

I would love for bball breakdown or anyone to do a supercut of mudiay missed layups
Mudiay has no confidence in his own ball handling in a crowded lane, he'll always look to make a dump off pass to a big rather than slithering through. The shots he does make are right handed like scoop ups, he never never gets to the lane and just finishes unless the lane is wide wide open. He's afraid of NBA rim protection , its like the spring goes out of his legs once he gets around the basket. He is a smart passer. His jumper is kind of ugly but it looks fixable, his three point jumper. His 2 point jumper fg% is low because he's always falling away at a weird angle.

I don't know quite the word to use, he's not the 'vertical athlete' he was assumed to be, and he's not as good a ballhandler as people assumed he would be. Those greatly contribute to his horrible shooting percentages.

Theoretically they have players to space the floor, Chandler can shoot threes, Gallinari, Jokic is a good passer with a jumper, Jamal Murray and Harris both get covered as if they're shooters. That should lead to more easy layups for Mudiay, but it hasn't.

I almost think he could use a month or so in the d-league to restore his confidence, to feel what he felt running around chinese guys like they were traffic cones, and to attack weaker defensive schemes and less disciplined bigs. Maybe he could start seeing paths to the basket and start trusting himself to make layups that every NBA pg can make.

Any Denver fans care to comment?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 6, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Something weird is happening to force the pelicans to be extremely bad so they have a chance at acquiring enough talent to be a good team in the future while their explicit plan was to be just good enough to get some playoff gate revenue with no long term vision

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CraigK posted:

I was planning to go to Pelicans @ Thunder next month but with my luck Davis and Westbrook would both miss it with injuries and at that point I may as well go to a high school game since its both cheaper and not a 5 hour drive

If you wait til they're both hurt the tickets will only be like 2 dollars on stub hub :)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I really appreciate that Dokmo. It seems clear, he is not much of a jumper, he doesn't have confidence in ball handling in a crowd, and his touch is just terrible

I'm afraid he might be a total bust unless he somehow becomes a great three point shooter and goes to Tony Parker Layup and ballhandling school. Do you have an opinion?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He has like three plays a game where he looks amazingly explosive and then is kinda meh otherwise.

Nick I am very sorry that my large son bullied yours today http://deadspin.com/rudy-gobert-gives-kristaps-porzingis-some-harsh-life-le-1788636135
Exum looks like he really needs to learn how to play basketball and it seems in an ideal situation he'd handle the ball more, but he's so much worse at that than like 6 other guys on the team, so it's hard to give him a chance. When he had the chance, he was awful.

In other Jazz news I hope Alec Burks heals sometime from whatever new injury he has

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 7, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Al Horford got a concussion because he was spotted in a luxury car in one of Boston's many whites only neighborhoods and viciously attacked

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Athanatos posted:

They cant play Half Court basketball on either side of the court. If the game is entirely transition, and they get going, they will win everytime. They play defense fantastic for the first 6 seconds of a shot clock then are done. If they let a team set up at all, that team is going to score. And if a team stops the transition, the Pacers have no idea what to do out of the half court other then give it to PG...which I mean works a lot, but not every time.

The bench is also horrid. Once the starters come out, the Bench is unable to get anything going. CJ Miles and Al Jefferson are fine, but nobody can get them the ball to get them going. McMillan has to start staggering starters minutes in with the bench. Last night they looked ok when PG was with the bench for a while.

If teams are missing shots, the Pacers get out and run and look fine. When a team gets hot, it's loving over, and the Hornets were hot last night. They have no way of matching a team that isnt turning the ball over or missing shots.

What confuses me is why were people picking them to finish 4th in the east in the preseason. They swappwed a guy wh o fits really well next to Monta for a guy who doesn't, they signed like a median quality pf who doesn't shoot threes (while promising to speed up the pace and space it out) and signed big Al for the bench. That was it. They also got rid of a demonstrably good coach for a demonstrably okay coach.

Paul George is great, Myles Turner could be a special player but then...?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I think mostly once you get past Cleveland, Toronto and Boston the east becomes kind of a mess, so throw a dart.

Fair point. I believe that Detroit is FATALLY FLAWED and has a LOW CEILING but they seemed clearly better than Indiana coming into the season. Charlotte didn't change much from the really good team they were last year.

What's surprised me is how much more alive Dwight's looked in Atlanta, how the Bucks with point Giannis have managed to win 4 games, especially since they've looked terrible in losses, they're a very matchup based team right now. And that Ish Smith and Beno Udrih could play great offensive basketball, at home at least.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

I wonder what the Thunder could have gotten if they had paid Harden and traded Durant in 2012.

Literally anything they wanted from anyone other than maybe Lebron James

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That's pretty reasonable. Automation is going to have all of us wearing rags and eating clay for essential nutrients before long

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, I've watched two Wizard games this season, and that team just isn't very good. Some people probably still expect Porter to make the jump, but eh, I don't think that's going to happen. John Wall will punch the warp speed button and go coast to coast two or three times per game, and that's great stuff, but other than that? There isn't much to like.

It's a shame, he's sort of ruined evrything since they banked on him being the threeasfour who could keep a strong defense with whatever stretch 4 they threw in, plus make threes. He was supposed to be a long armed jack of all trades but he's not good enough at all trades, they need more talent and for John Wall to not take Bradley "eric Gordon" Beal's ocntract personally

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Wait a sec, they kept the interim coach? The gently caress?

edit: The Knicks were 18th in defense last year

Whenever Phil does anything
Remember this image

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

Is Jerami Grant a secretly good defender I hadn't picked up on or was this obvious to everyone?

He and Covington were the 76ers who had good defensive plus minuses but I don't really remember anything but the crazy blocks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCsn5bPSHis
All I need is air and opportunity, the Harrison Barnes star turn

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The brandon ingram kd comps were kind of dumb. What he reminds me of is a super thin and much less athletic version of giannis on drives, and his jumper stuff is kind of kevin garnett esque, he doesn't feeeeel like durant

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

So what other short armed starting centers are there, because it feels like all short-armed centers play that type of defense where they stick really close to their guy instead of trying to stay in the middle.

Uh
Greg Monroe
Kelly Olynyk

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

Who has thinner skin Zach Lowe or Coach Nick? 8 games into the season and he is telling us about he was right about Harrison Barnes all along.

I think anyone who stayed on the Harrions Barnes will be good bandwagon deserves plaudits. He looked like a loving useless awful player in the last two sets of playoffs.

There's such a difference between being allowed to hold the ball and think about things and having to make split second decisions as the ball swings around

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I don't mind a toxx because lowtax needs the money

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Here's a super sample size of efficiency through the first 2 weeks.

Defensive Efficiency:
Top 5
-Clippers (89.3)
-Hornets (95.4)
-Hawks (95.9)
-Thunder (96.9)
-Pistons (96.9)

Keep in mind the historically good Spurs defensively last year had a def efficiency of 96.6 so the Clippers probably aren't going to keep that up.

Bottom 5
-Rockets (107.5)
-Knicks (108.5)
-Pacers (108.6)
-Magic (109)
-Celtics (112.3)

The worst def efficiency last year were the Lakers at 109 and the Celtics have been without Jae Crowder and/or Al Horford for most of the season so far.

Offensive Efficiency:
Top 5
-Warriors (111.8)
-Cavs (110.6)
-Celtics (109)
-Timberwolves (108.3)
Rockets (108)

The highest last year were the Warriors at 112.

Bottom 5
-Pelicans (98.1)
-Thunder (97.9)
-Heat (97)
-Grizzlies (97)
-76ers (92.4)

The worst off efficiency were also the 76ers last year at 96.6.
I really like seeing the pistons up there after finishing at like 18th last year. Drummond looks like a real rim protector at times and they have versatility from 2-4.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 11, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Guys while we're mourning the death of the discourse I'm afraid that Michael Kidd Gilchrist has become "Injury-Prone"

That loving guy is too athletic for his body and biomechanics, he's like a very powerful train that's always going off the tracks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

Jake Layman is gonna get hosed UP when he runs into Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

:golfclap:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Somehow Luke Walton has made Nick Young both an efficient scorer and a solid defender
This is sort of like when Dion Waiters suddenly became a perfectly competent role player during the playoffs last season, completely unexpected

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

milk milk lemonade posted:

Probably the same deal too - a small sample size that you can't draw broad conclusions from. Nick Young has shown that he is horrible over a career that has gone on for way too long.

Small sample size shmall shample shize Nick Young is a star

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

The Warriors are the first team in NBA history to have four different players hit four three-pointers in the same game.

Durant/Curry have a good shot at becoming only the third pair of NBA/ABA teammates to be #1 and #2 in scoring (they're #2 and #3 now):

code:
Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Oscar Robertson	PG	266.52	CIN
Jerry Lucas	PF	206.12	CIN

Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Neil Johnston	C	126.88	PHW
Paul Arizin	SF	52.28	PHW
CIN and PHW were both great offensive teams but had terrible defenses.

Writing off young players prematurely is one of the stubborn pastimes of fandom.

It's been done to everyone except the guys who were near MVP-level as rookies (a very short list).
Also a good example of how hard it is for players to grow into 'star' roles when the team is already really good. Sometimes a guy just has to hold the ball and see what happens to see what he can truly do. It makes you wonder what sort of player Darko would have been if he'd have been drafted by a really bad team. Maybe a middle class man's pau gasol?

A potential pitfall for the Celtics if they can't turn their big basket of picks into anything, young guys with potential with no chance to feel their way through games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

milk milk lemonade posted:

I don't think the success is necessarily going to hold up the whole season, but the Lakers have themselves a nice team. If there was ever a time that being LA would get them a nice free agent next off season seems like the time it's going to happen.

How did Luol Deng swing that contract by the way.

The lakers pick is top 3 protected for philly this year and unprotected next year, so I assume they wanted to not be embarrassing while having players to set the culture for their young guys before they inevitably lose a ton of games, and hopefully improve enough that their pick that will transfer to philly next year is only 8 or so instead of 2 or 3

• Locked thread