Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Props Department posted:

Any team getting to meet the president next year will be awkward.

Meh. Hockey or Baseball teams will likely be right at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think the Latin American nationals that make up huge chunks of baseball rosters would be particularly enamored.

I mean the Cuban ones might be cool. Otherwise yeah fair enough.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Never Forget.

Obama:“Derrick Rose may have your number.”

Kobe: “If he calls that number, I’ll be sure to pick up after the fifth ring.”

:smith: Gonna miss Obama. Also when Rose wasn't a allegedly rapey rear end in a top hat.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Up Circle posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18043923/truehoop-presents-new-york-knicks-president-phil-jackson-qa-nba

JM: It all started when LeBron left, right? Could you have ever imagined Earvin Johnson leaving Riley, or Michael Jordan leaving you?

PJ: It had to hurt when they lost LeBron. That was definitely a slap in the face. But there were a lot of little things that came out of that. When LeBron was playing with the Heat, they went to Cleveland and he wanted to spend the night. They don't do overnights. Teams just don't. So now (coach Erik) Spoelstra has to text Riley and say, 'What do I do in this situation?' And Pat, who has iron-fist rules, answers, 'You are on the plane, you are with this team.' You can't hold up the whole team because you and your mom and your posse want to spend an extra night in Cleveland.

I always thought Pat had this really nice vibe with his guys. But something happened there where it broke down. I do know LeBron likes special treatment. He needs things his way.

Keep in mind. This night they were talking about was loving Thanksgiving that Lebron and the team wanted to stay in Cleveland/Akron and have the team over for it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Yeah those are the things I read. Seems like a big stretch to take offense on that.

I mean, the black men who say "posse" are old too by now, probably the same age as Phil if they remember the era of cowboy movies where the Good Guys use the term. It's about the most neutral word for an entourage you're gonna find. Especially amongst the old white fellas who grew up playing cowboys and indians edit "White Settlers V. Native Tribes" in their backyards.

"Posse" "boys" "crew" "entourage" "hangers on" "leeches" what positive verbiage does Carter expect for the group of dudes who earn their living by being childhood friends with the famous guy? Haha

and yeah gently caress you. They all have jobs. And have done really well with those jobs. Most high level jobs in this world are based around where you were born, who you were born from, and who you know.

Lebron does other poo poo than loving basketball. He has investments, endorsements and other things that his "posse" need to manage and look after.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/798613119970852864

So I can now blame Larry Bird for the Bulls Coach being terrible

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress you.

They are literally the ones successfully running a business, foundation etc etc

Rich Paul has other clients.

Maverick Carter negotiated with Nike a loving "billion" dollar lifetime deal. Handles all of his marketing. As well as running a foundation that does a ton of good poo poo in communities.

Don't loving minimize what those dudes are doing.

Yes they are friends of LeBron. But you wouldn't call *insert white dude here* hanger on's if they did what they those dudes do for Lebron they would be his business partners or management team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yes without LeBron they wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what they are doing. But they still had to put in the work and do the schooling needed to get to the positions they are in.

LeBron gave them the opportunity to put in work and get paid for it and they made their own careers out of it. It's not like they are just crashing at LeBron's crib and not significantly paying back the investment James made in them.

And it's offensive as poo poo to minimize that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rich Paul handles the Basketball agent negotiations.

Maverick Carter from what I understand handles his "brand" (marketing negotiations and deals and foundation work).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah gently caress that dude.

Posse is very much what Phil meant to say not just parroting Riley....

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Man white people should probably stop arguing about what is, err, problematic.

"No but you see redskins doesn't offend me, I don't see the problem."

*white dude gazes upon the hosed up visage of chief wahoo*

"they're honoring him"

Like always it's GTBW.

Large swaths of White people treat themselves being called racist or racially problematic as a worse offense than we do being called literal slurs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Smellyhead posted:

No women. No kids.

Everyone in my I.T. department that I worked for were often referred to as "the tech posse". I was unaware I should be offended.

Would it be more or less offensive if PJ used the word "flock" instead?

You know drat well the context and implications are way different. That argument is essentially the same as white people who say "well blacks say the N word why can't I."

Context and history matter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

lol what are you in lebron's posse

that's a lot of heat

Because I have been someone who at school has been told you are only in the "gifted"/academy program because of quota's. implying thatI didn't score well on the tests needed for admittance.

I have been told I only have my job due to affirmative action. I have been talked down to in my job as if I didn't belong. I constantly had people tell me when I worked in computer repair places of there was someone "better" or with more qualifications. With them not knowing ish about me when I was literally the most qualified and highly certified person on staff.

So yeah the careless dismissal a black dude who has put in the time and effort to learn a craft that is his loving career and who has done a drat good job of it loving strikes a nerve.

So once again go gently caress yourself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Did I loving say Phil was racist?

I've only said I get why Maverick and LeBron would be pissed about Phil just carelessly dismissing his business team.

So Thrice now. Go gently caress thyself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Why should someone be constructive to a disingenuous rear end in a top hat.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Guys keep it together shaming racists for racism is counterproductive tribalism

Uhh have you been under a rock. If this year has taught me anything it's never ever stop shaming people and never let offensive poo poo get normalized.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Maybe you'd like me once we got past the lack of shared premises? Maybe some ideal of Christian Kindness, or if you're not religious perhaps a general sense of having to hold oneself to a higher standard than the rest of the mob? I don't know man we all have to find our own reasons for charity in this tough and cynical world.

Hahaha gently caress yourself x4

The first thing a black person who gets wronged is asked to do is forgive and forget. To bite their tounge. Or get an appeal to their religion and Godliness. We always are forced to be above the fray and be the bigger man. While people continue to say and do offensive poo poo to us. I'm frankly tired of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah that's why that was just me sarcastically miming Evan post election

I like basketball

Sorry then have literally seen people parroting this unironically recently too much to pick up on it.

Basketball is okay so long as the 3 Alpha's are active.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 16, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Hell yeah you sound motivated! What's step one? I mean aside from saying "gently caress you" several times to me personally

Don't worry I caught it.

I'm doing my best with what little platform I have to tell people who are being offensive assholes that they are being offensive assholes.

Also it's not really on me, the oppressed or the offended to stop assholes from being offensive. Kinda on the assholes themselves. All I can do is tell them they are being assholes.

So I mean. Go gently caress yourself on a pentagram.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BWV posted:

at the time did we ever argue about the dress code? I wonder if there's an archived thread out there with all of us supporting it.

The dresscode is racist bullshit, but in hindsight it eventually led us to the hilariously dumb poo poo athletes are wearing now. So I guess it's a wash.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BWV posted:

players wore hilarious dumb poo poo before too. 13 year old me didn't get the bright idea to buy a baby blue velour suit on my own.

Velour suits aren't dumb. People just don't understand true high fashion anymore.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/WerlySportsLaw/status/798584972609290244

Hmmm.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah. Unless some boosters are paying me hella money If I were a NBA caliber talent I might just go to the D league for a year especially if the coaches there are actually coaching NBA basketball rather than whatever Bullshit a college coach might use because they have no incentive to develop me.

https://twitter.com/TerryLee__/status/798917579846930433

Yeah the D-League looks hella attractive.

Now if people start going and the league actually starts putting some advertising into it it might be a thing.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 16, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

Connect Four is a solved game, being "good" at it is like being "good" at tic-tac-toe

while yes it's a solved game. tbf it's a bit different than Tic-tac-toe.

The possibility space is larger. And it's harder to remember the exact sequence to counter every single placement choice.

Like I can run through every possible outcome in a tic-tac-toe game in less than 30 seconds. Connect 4 is exponentially harder to do that in.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Libertine posted:

Are HS Grads eligible for the D-League? I thought it was under the same restrictions as the NBA in terms of draft/playing eligibility.

HS'ers can go straight to the D-League. They then become draftable after the first year IIRC.

Fake edit: Yep

quote:

There are eight different paths a player can take to the NBA D-League:

NBA teams can assign players to their NBA D-League affiliate and recall them at any time.
NBA teams can draft players and sign them to NBA D-League contracts, thus retaining their rights through the “Draft Rights Player” rule.
NBA teams can designate up to four players that they cut during training camp as “affiliate players,” meaning those players will join that team’s NBA D-League affiliate (should the players choose to sign into the NBA D-League). These players are signed under contract with the league rather than the team, however, meaning they are technically free agents who can be called up to any of the 30 NBA teams.
NBA D-League teams hold local tryouts each offseason and can invite up to five players from these tryouts to their training camps.
The NBA D-League holds a draft every year consisting of nearly 200 players who have signed contracts with the league. In 2016, the draft consisted of six rounds.
Players who return to the NBA D-League are, by rule, re-acquired by the teams that they played for within the last two seasons (Returning Players).
Once the NBA D-League season begins, players who sign NBA D-League contracts are placed into a rotating waiver pool so that teams can claim them.
If a player from high school, college or overseas enters the NBA D-League without ever having declared for the NBA Draft, he will also join the waiver pool. That player remains NBA Draft-eligible but is not eligible to be called up to the NBA.

Niwrad posted:

So how long does Phil keep his job for? His bad moves far outweigh his good moves at this point.

How long does Dolan usually take before fixing and removing his failed and bad decisions?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm still kinda torn.

Signing Noah makes sense on multiple levels.

Noah is quite literally the perfect Center for the Triangle. It's a pity he has no legs left. Noah his work ethic and how he has improved his vision and passing over the years would be pretty useful for someone like KP to be around.

Probably shouldn't have paid him so much goddamn money or so many years tho. Especially since now it seems like there won't be an amnesty clause in the new CBA.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I don't think it'll impact top high school players much. I think it'll benefit fringe NBA guys who would normally have to run off to Europe and hope they could stay on the NBA radar. Now they can stay in the States and play under a more traditional NBA system.

Have teams in New York, Chicago, Toronto and Dallas these days. It's not that bad anymore!

I mean if Hoffman Estates is Chicago then so is like Schaumburg, Joliet and Naperville

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spacebump posted:

It's not the same with them having to go to leagues where a coach may not want to develop someone who is gone the next year. They need to let parent teams of D-League teams be able to get the rights to players brought up in their D-League system. Maybe combine and expand the drafts a round? It's cool that a D-League team will be able to pay a high school guy decently but what is the motivation to develop those players over players that the parent club has the rights to? The Texas Legends had P. J. Hairston on the team after he got kicked out of UNC but it doesn't really help the Mavs much to put time into developing him since he then went into the real draft and was picked up by another team.

While there aren't many good cases of good players that didn't play in college left, we just saw a ridiculous era with talents like this LeBron, Dirk, Kobe, KG, TMac, Dwight, Amar'e, Tyson Chandler, Jermaine O'Neal. They need to make some kind of change because any of those guys having to go to college would have been a waste of their time.

NBA coaching is still NBA coaching. They might not get the attention that that D-League team's parent team's draft pick is getting. But they are still surrounded by coaches and others who know and are teaching the NBA game. And who themselves are probably trying to get a bench coaching job in the NBA.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I'm convinced the Bulls made a D-League team to give more Iowa State people jobs.

Gar Forman John Paxson, Tim Floyd and their Iowa State posse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Nah, it's pretty clear that many, if not most, don't view the word "posse" with negative connotations and the hole is being dug by everyone involved. My shovel isn't going in any more.

It doesn't matter if many or most don't view the word posse with negative connotations. We(well I do anyway) live in a country where many people don't view loving Chief Wahoo, or the term Redskins as having negative connotations.

Context matters. Phil Jackson has a history of being dismissive and demeaning to Lebron and his business partners. Lebron James and Maverick Carter called him out on it which is the correct thing to do.

Oh and also Evan. This isn't all I do in regards to my politics and community service btw, this is just me having fun on an internet forum.

This happened while I was knocked out(woo taking Vicodin and Valium for back pain) and I saw MV's post so I'll eat a probation if need be. But I wanted to respond and am 100% done with this topic after this.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 17, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress Hoiberg, Rondo, and as much as it pains me Portis

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

The Bulls are somehow good despite having the worst starting PG in the league and a bench full of Gar Forman's draft busts.

Jimmy and Wade are still good at basketball.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/800715840513523712

Lol at no Rondo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

And considering that his job is tied to that GM anyway it's probably in Hoiberg's best interest to keep playing him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

The heat are retiring Shaq's number

You know, long standing heat member Shaquile o neal

He won them a loving ring. Well helped them win. Also they retire everyone's number.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

Just like micheal jordan

Should be retired league wide :colbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Dan Marino is my favorite Miami Heat legend

His only meaningful accolade in sports tbh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Let Jabari be proof that Coach K is a dumb and bad coach.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress YOU HOIBERG

Spacebump posted:

Just throwing this out there, Stacey King is easily the coolest local commentator. I know some Bulls fans have said he gets repetitive in the past, but I love almost every game I hear him call.

Stacey King is really good when he's not in blind homer spouting catch phrases mode.

Neil Funk always sucks.

• Locked thread