Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The LA in question is actually the Lakers. You heard it here first folks

i thought he was interested in winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

By the way Spurs theory crafters

https://mobile.twitter.com/poundingtherock/status/872799315445633024

My buddy who's the #1 Spurs fan I know wants to dump Tony and go after Chris Paul but my opinion is that someone who is as much a part of the franchise's success as TP gets to decide when and how he retires. Am I overly sentimental here?

Also he looked amazing in the playoffs before he got injured, how come-back-fromable is whatever he did to his leg?

he'd be a perfect off the bench guy and mentor to dejounte (he's even signaled that how he sees the future- new manu off the bench)

give him a small but respectable contract. he's earned it and thats how the spurs do

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Who needs a max? Lebron has made a lot of money and will make more with endorsements. Sign to the Spurs with CP3 and make the WCF great again.

i think he got a lot of heat from his…well Heat days for taking less money.

the players union doesn't want to see max level players sacrificing money because then teams will pressure other stars to take less money, devaluing players' worth. at least, i think i remember that being a thing.

as for him going to the spurs, i'm not saying it's likely to happen, but he has a player option in 2018 and that's the year the spurs' cap space is cleared by like 50 million or so

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ws are averaging 12.7 3s per game in the post season so for a 185 lb dude over the course of a ~3 hour game would have a BAC of .243.

So, blackout drunk but survivable.

i don't think you're including the unsung sidekick that is the chaser/side beer

tonight the warriors will indeed be "killing it"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
just got to post this for posterity

draymond green managed to play in the nba finals after getting two techs

zaza pachulia punched a man in the dick in the finals, it got reviewed, and they decided "no foul"

edit: also zaza tried to take lebron out of the game with another expertly placed foot

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

like i get that mom's gonna support her boy

but lol at posting that when your son played in the finals with two techs

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

I'm banned from there for inviting them to imbibe of my nutsack when the Grizz blew them out in the playoffs a few years ago. i was also completely shithammered i think MV probated me that night so i went looking for my posting jollies elsewhere

an honorable proposition imo

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
anyone got a video of the zaza stepping on lebron's foot?

seemed like a classic zaza dirty play and i read somewhere else that he did a double take to get his foot in the right place

edit: here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtZi8M-A75c

from the front it doesn't look bad at all, but from the side it does seem pretty suspicious that he puts his foot so far back.

hard to call, but i say "gently caress zaza"

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 10, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nothing wrong with a little rear end eating :colbert:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

i just ran the numbers and it looks like you're right, the cavs shot all they shots they shot

well, shoot

Spoeank posted:

*Draymond fumbles through contact list, dials a number*

"This is LeBron"

"Wait poo poo" *frantically tries to hang up*

i lol'd

zoux posted:

Also KD doesn't look 3" taller than Lebron

~perspective~

yeah, yeah poe's law

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Bigger rear end in a top hat, Draymond Green or people that say that LeBron dunk was a technically a travel

you ask too much of us, sir

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
draymond's from the land of juicero, ~disruption~, and rich assholes who try to buy access to local parks out from under local children. i don't think he has too much of a leg to stand on, really. even if cleveland does suck

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i still can't believe that draymond finished an nba finals game with two techs

and that zaza punched a man in the dick and after review the refs were like "eh"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I understand that Zaza could have gotten more money and went to ring chase. He will have a ring after this season so he might want to get a bigger pay check again. I wouldn't be shocked if he did it so he had more money for charities back in Georgia. Though it also wouldn't shock me if he stayed or became a worse player next season. The free agent centers that are 32+ are all worse than Zaza. (unless I'm missing someone.)

i have no idea if this is true or not, but i heard zaza's uncle or something was one of those crazy russian billionaires and he and his family already have more money than pretty much anyone can even make in the nba. so he could potentially not be in it for the money at all and he doesn't need to be that good, just do all the dirty work so the rest of the warriors can torch other teams.

long story short i can see zaza staying because he wants to be part of something bigger and doesn't really need the money (if that's true)

i can also see javale staying because he's getting "respect" for the first time in his career

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

eh making narratives for any roleplayer to stay is easy but people want to be paid for the work they do

true, these are just some things i've picked up lurking warriors fan sites

are they unbiased and purely factual? of course not. but they do know more about their players than i do.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Telfair hasn't played ball in 2 years and didn't really make "have hired bodyguards around you the rest of your life" money. Not that a Tech-9 or whatever that is is practical personal protection or anything.

i think its a pistol caliber AR

drat, some of those rounds were chambered. that's pretty nuts

tec-9? lmao

chunkles posted:

smdh they took pictures of all the guns & ammo but none of the weed

too much weed/already been "confiscated"

seriously though, the gently caress does he have all that poo poo for? oh, also where's BK?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Burger King has locations across the United States and even in Europe and Asia

well you know what they say, "you come at the king, you best not miss"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
tonight the new model warriors are going to slaughter the King's cavaliers and end the NBA civil war.

the widely despised kevin durant will take over as lord protector of the league until his retirement whereupon his legacy will be dug up, tried, and beheaded for treason.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

The fact that this actually happened in real life is so cool to me

glad someone appreciated the post. i had fun writing it

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Do y'all think that poo poo happens, the league fucks with poo poo in order to increase ratings/add more games/favor large market teams/rig the draft/whatever?

I personally don't.

i think there's nudging. they prep the refs by showing tape and saying "see this player doing this? we got to call it more often" sort of thing. i mean, they actually called illegal screens against the warriors games 3 and 4 (which looked like they had a lot of ref intervention and the threads commented on that).

plus, what else explains draymond green getting more leeway with his behavior toward the refs than anyone else ever?

i don't think outcomes are predetermined or that there's blatant game throwing or cheating.

but i do think that games are called differently and how they're called has an impact and can even be considered somewhat predictable

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

I have a stat question too. When a shot misses and rebounds but goes way out to someone on the floor after a bounce, do they get credited with a rebound?

yeah, that's one of the reasons steph gets so many. when you clank a 3 it tends to bounce far out, over the big guys, and out to the guards

(i think)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
gently caress kevin durant.

one move ruined the west, the greatest conference in sports.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jackofarcades posted:

This warriors team won't be appreciated right now bc they are boring imo. I mean, as much as these players can be.

That Heat team was really fun

in my opinion, as much as people want to see "greatness" they still want there to be competition. kd to the warriors is an incredibly boring move because it seriously kills competition.

basically, any team that beats the warriors and goes on to win a ring will have a much better story and will be much more important than this warriors team

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

The Warriors are the best team I've ever seen and they play what should be a wonderfully attractive style of basketball. But they are so loving good and relentless that they make individual games less fun to watch.
Is this what racists felt when the Celtics got good in the 60s?

i agree that when the warriors are playing most teams they are the most amazing basketball team i've ever seen play

but when they face serious competition the cracks really show and its impossible not to notice how much help they get

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

does this result improve the odds of cp3 to the cavs or spurs lol

GobiasIndustries posted:

I keep hearing those teams but both would have to gut a ton to get him right?

yeah, its not going to happen

spurs don't need him anyway. dejounte is going to the real deal. spurs should be focusing on bringing in a better center.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

Spurs would first need Manu to retire, then Mills and Simmons are gone for sure, and I still don't think that's enough while staying under the cap.

its not, and its not going to happen.

they'd have to get rid of some combination of LMA, parker's contract, and pau, too

its just not going to happen, nor does it need to because the spurs should be way more focused on developing dejounte for their big push in 2018.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

But what's the objective perspective. Does him getting a ring with the Warriors cheapen the win, making the ring unearned in a way? Is it similar to Lebron's situation when he signed with Miami?

he's won a ring. it still has the same value as any other ring.

but his path to winning it and the narrative around that ring is subject to interpretation.

in my opinion, there's no great story to it, in contrast to many other players. his winning is boring because its expected. this warriors championship is no great thing. its no 2011 mavs and therefore when considering his "greatness" it won't factor much into it. fortunately, KD is pretty great on his own so i can't see it diminishing him as much as i would personally like to see.

he definitely took the path of least resistance and did a thing that will rightly make people question him for years to come. but he also won a ring on a team that will be forever heralded as one of the best ever.

its a complicated situation and peoples' personal biases will color their interpretation.

personally, i think he's a total bitch, soft to the core, and should take no great satisfaction in his "accomplishment." but then again, i'm not a warriors fan so it should be expected that i feel that way.

to me the biggest loss is the competition in the west where there are often around 4 contenders. since 2010 there have been 5 different western teams in the finals. that's pretty cool in my opinion, considering the east has only had 3. though i guess if you go back to 2000 there have still only been 5 western teams in the finals and 8 eastern teams which definitely undoes my point a little. but its not just about who goes to the finals, its about how they got there. i don't mind watching great teams win so long as its not boring blow outs and sweeps. if durant was still on the thunder there would be 4+ teams that could have won this year and the playoffs would have been more interesting and the story lines would have been more interesting. "can anyone even compete" is much more boring to me than "a great team proved how good it was against other great teams"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Idahoant posted:

blah blah blah
How many thousands of words have you wads shitted out about this.

we talk about basketball in the basketball thread? :shrug:

• Locked thread