Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How has Dion waiters been, because Josh Richardson's been cleared to play tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't believe Shaq has better nba opinions than barkley at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

41% 3-point ace Dwyane Wade just hit 3/4 3's tonight.

Is this the longest con for a lovely shooter to suddenly knock it down like he's klay thompson?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Papercut posted:

Damian Lillard is pretty good.

42 points on 12/18 shooting isn't too bad.

Pelicans are 0-6. Like holy hell.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well good news, the Wolves are top 8 in both offense in defense.

A shame about the winning part.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Harrison Barnes at about 18 points on 50% shooting as a #2 guy. I'm glad he's reaching out to his full potential.

Now if only they kept Jae Crowder....

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

John Wall is resting on back2back games until further notice.

Didn't the league say there's less b2b this year than ever before? So are teams just maximizing their days or something since there's so few?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Warriors have been top 5 in defense the two previous years, they replaced two super defensive rim protecting bigs with an offensive short-armed guy and david west.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

David West is proof that if you want to make it to the conference finals, join an Eastern team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I mentioned that the NBA as a whole are doing conference rematches really soon, and I don't really get it? Does it save money or something if the Wizards and Hawks play each other twice in a week if they go to each other's home? I understand if you're doing a semi-baseball thing where you play your 2 games against the Bucks at home in 3 days, but this is just weird.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

chunkles posted:

Yeah, he's the Pop disciple that worked out. Plus this Hawks team is probably a little better for Dwight. I still believe his post game is dead and buried but they will have more spacing than the Rockets did in any of his years.

Didn't the Rockets start Beverly/Harden/Ariza/Ross or Montejunas? How much more spacing do you want, outside of making Dwight a stretch 5.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For some reason, the Kings took 5 centers/start 2 as the trend to follow

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did the Pelicans fire their medical staff, or are they still sharing them with the Saints?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Papercut posted:

Did they really miss that obvious of a goal tending call?!?

Yes, but everyone knew it was goaltend. ESPN actually described it in their feed as "Embiid does awesome goaltend"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Whiteside still being really good after getting his big contract is a cool story, I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

The Raptors took a point guard in the first round two drafts ago, so I wonder if they feel like Delon is capable of being the backup PG now. If they do think Delon is ready, it makes sense to move Joseph for an upgrade at PF. But, like, if Delon is ready.

I remember last season, Cory's biggest contribution was being able to be the PG while Lowry was an off-ball shooter, especially in games where they needed another ball-handler. Are they using him differently this season?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just noticed the Rockets are like 17th in pace. Which is....weird? Is that the slowest D'antoni's team has been?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I guess watch the Hawks if you like defense? Dwight is a lot of things, but he is much more of a defensive help than Horford in both rim protection and shoring up their bad rebounding weakness.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also Durant could always end up taking a pay cut because he's shook and not a leader

Durant signs to the minimum is not a bad outcome

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Curry is bad
Draymond is bad
Thompson is bad
Durant is bad

Literally the only warrior that hasn't been called bad is Ian Clark because no one knows who he is

edit: Here's an argument, how about replacing either an elite 3+D guy and a stretch 4/5 elite defender that passes like a point guard are both very hard to replace

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 7, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You guys realize Ezeli still hasn't played this season, right

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

George Hill won player of the week. Weird.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

John Wall is the all-time wizards assist leader in his 6th year.

1. Wes Unseld* 3822
2. John Wall 3819
3. Rod Strickland 2712
4. Kevin Porter 2593
5. Kevin Loughery 2363
6. Gilbert Arenas 2046
7. Frank Johnson 1961
8. Michael Adams 1844
9. Darrell Walker 1707
10. Phil Chenier 1688

Which says more about the wizards and passing....

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ragle posted:

If GSW are suffering greatly from not having Bogut/Ezeli doesn't that suggest praise for Draymond's versatility to play the 5 (and thus his value as a player generally) is overstated? Draymond at center with Zaza as primary backup shouldn't be such a weakness if Draymond is so good.

Draymond full time at center for 82 games is a bad thing to do for so many reasons. The same reason why Anthony davis and lebron don't start at 1 position lower despite by far their best position.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Boosh! posted:

Phil should be more concerned about the defense.

They practice against the triangle, Phil is fine with the defense

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Libertine posted:

Plus he's in a Wu-Tang Clan song.

Why are the Pacers so bad? I kind of expected them to be Top 4/5 in the East; however, they have a pretty poo poo record and point differential. Their schedule so far hasn't been insanely difficult either so.

I haven't seen them play yet this season, I'm genuinely curious what the deal is.

Because they downgraded at almost every roster spot except Paul George and Myles Turner is starting. They also still have the albatross poo poo that Larry Bird hired in Monta Ellis and Rodney Stuckey, only older and worse.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The pacers are playing at over 100 on pace and in the middle of offensive efficiency so Larry bird got his buckets

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wait a sec, they kept the interim coach? The gently caress?

edit: The Knicks were 18th in defense last year

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wolves got outscored in the 2nd half again, but got a huge lead in the 1st half to not make it matter.

Only they blown that kind of situation before, and it's really worrying. Is it an endurance thing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If the Pelicans ever unfuck their injury curse, their PG rotation looks really good. Frazier for 2 years/4 million is a bargain right now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't remember Bush having problems getting NBA teams there, even after Katrina. Granted I expect worse with Trump.

There's a difference between being bad at decision and actively calling every non-white male demographic rapists and criminals and converting gays straight

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The very first thing Obama tried to do after the Packers gave them a shareholder's plaque was trading Aaron Rodgers to the bears, and then immediately had to be told it was a fake plaque.

Dude can easily be a night time jock on The Score and no one could tell the difference from some other homer chicago guy.

edit: Actually, iirc he talked about Jordan and how great the Bulls were when the last time the Lakers came to the white house.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Here's the Bears one, complete with what you expect of a Packers/Bears rivalry attitude: http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/43288/obama-can-bears-have-aaron-rodgers

quote:

In light-hearted remarks during a 10-minute ceremony, Obama said: "I'm just going to come out and say it: This hurts a little bit. This is a hard thing for a Bears fan to do."

He added: "You guys [are] coming into my house to rub it in. What are you going to do, go to Ditka's house next?"

Packers fans, Obama said, should "enjoy it while it lasts" because Bears fans "have two dates circled" this season -- the two Bears-Packers games. Joking, I think, Obama reminded the Packers that "if you guys are on a roll" late in the season, "just keep in mind that there is only one person here who can ground all planes in and out of Green Bay if he has to."

Obama got in the obligatory joke about linebacker Clay Matthews' hair and, after Woodson presented him with an honorary share of Packers stock, Obama said: "If I'm a part owner, what I'm thinking is we should initiate a trade to send Rodgers down to the Bears. What do you think?"

Woodson then clarified that Obama is "a minority owner."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

McGee was the first big off the bench and looked...defensive? His length gives an extra second for the perpetrators to decide how to score at the rim which seems to be enough to make a difference.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So what other short armed starting centers are there, because it feels like all short-armed centers play that type of defense where they stick really close to their guy instead of trying to stay in the middle.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jazz don't have george hill for a few games. They haven't had their ideal starting 5 for like more than 1 game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Here's a super sample size of efficiency through the first 2 weeks.

Defensive Efficiency:
Top 5
-Clippers (89.3)
-Hornets (95.4)
-Hawks (95.9)
-Thunder (96.9)
-Pistons (96.9)

Keep in mind the historically good Spurs defensively last year had a def efficiency of 96.6 so the Clippers probably aren't going to keep that up.

Bottom 5
-Rockets (107.5)
-Knicks (108.5)
-Pacers (108.6)
-Magic (109)
-Celtics (112.3)

The worst def efficiency last year were the Lakers at 109 and the Celtics have been without Jae Crowder and/or Al Horford for most of the season so far.

Offensive Efficiency:
Top 5
-Warriors (111.8)
-Cavs (110.6)
-Celtics (109)
-Timberwolves (108.3)
Rockets (108)

The highest last year were the Warriors at 112.

Bottom 5
-Pelicans (98.1)
-Thunder (97.9)
-Heat (97)
-Grizzlies (97)
-76ers (92.4)

The worst off efficiency were also the 76ers last year at 96.6.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Has any team won both games in a rematch so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Darko went to the post-Garnett Wolves, he had plenty of chances, he was just a bust like Anthony Bennett

• Locked thread