Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Athanatos posted:

The Pacers need to pick up 1 player to secure a playoff spot. They "fixed" the bench rotation and the new bench is outscoring opponents by 20.4 points/100 poss...but since CJ Miles has been there, Pacers have been outscored 23.2 points/100 poss with Monta Ellis in the starting squad.

They need a clone of CJ Miles to play bench and starter minutes

Rudy Gay on a one year rental could be had by anyone who wants him for probably very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before but this site is a searchable highlight database. It logs misses, fouls and TOs too so if you're bored you can plug in your least favorite player for a lil' shaudenfreude

https://3ball.io/

Yes, thank you

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Smellyhead posted:

Is there a command for seeing shots a player shoots that are blocked. I'd love to see all of Steph's shots that have been blocked this season. I feel like he constantly goes up on the wrong side of the basket and would like to confirm this.

Yeah just type 'Curry Block', it will include shots he took that were blocked as well as anything he blocked: https://3ball.io/curry-block

Here he is probably going up the wrong side on a layup https://3ball.io/curry-block/0021600281_348

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

dokmo posted:

Young mid-range shooting 4s with limited offensive ability who fans are inexplicably excited about?

This is dead on, except Turner is a 5 who has flashed legit range from deep, averages 2.3 blocks per game and has a 21 PER and 2.1 DBPM, whilst playing three times as many minutes as Portis.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

Thank you! Guy looks so stiff in the post and on pick and rolls. He's got an ok shot but he's nothing compared to KAT or Zingis right now

Yeah his shot isn't as good as Porzingis, but for a big man that's like singling out a guard and saying their shooting motion isn't as good as Klay Thompson's - inevitably true but a bit unfair. It seems like it's reasonably effective and at the very least encourages defenders to guard him properly on the outside and not just sag back, which is half the battle really as a big man.

Pick and Roll man, at least one per game

Turner is a pretty decent roll man and they use him in it very often (4.4 times per game, fourth in the league). Of all the top usage guys he compares very favourably, with a better eFG% than Griffin, Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Cousins, Millsap, and even Anthony Davis. Interestingly he KAT and Porzingis are all essentially dead even around 55% eFG, which is a very impressive number for all three. Though Embiid is at 67% eFG which is really great.

Obviously scheme in how you initiate the PnR plus how skilled the ball handler is impacts this number quite a lot. Davis for example would probably have better efficiency in this stat if he hadn't been playing with D-League guards for most of the season. Griffin's poor numbers are odd, maybe DJ clogging the paint means he isn't as effective rolling as you would think he would be. KAT obviously has Rubio and just about the only thing Sergio Rodriguez can do at a high level in the NBA is run the PnR so he helps Embiid there. Maybe Jeff Teague is a sneaky a good PnR guy but I don't remember anyone mentioning it before.

Bobby Portis, 31% eFG on 1.3 possessions per game

Post ups, at least one per game

In the post you're right his numbers aren't so great, but then neither are Porzingis' and both are a fair way worse than KAT. Indy don't post up with him all that much though so they know this.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 13, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure the Love for Wiggins trade was a precondition of Lebron coming back to Cleveland, in which case it is an loving absolute no-brainer. Sure the actual trade was consummated like a month after Lebron signed, but everyone knew it was happening and it was just delayed because they had to wait 30 days after Wiggins signed his contract per league rules.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Lets all predict the worst player who is going to get a designated player contract by a GM looking to save his job.

200 mil for 6 years of Rudy Gay (by Orlando)?

You need to have been named to an All-NBA team or DPOY the year before the extension or two of the previous three years or MVP once in the last three, so it'll be difficult to give to to someone who isn't at least somewhat worth it.

The Nets and Knicks will somehow find a way though I'm sure.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Curry is eligible for the designated extension this offseason, Klay will be eligible in summer 2018 if he makes an All-NBA either this season or next season.

From what it sounds like (all TBC obviously when the terms are officially announced) GSW this summer will let Iggy and Livingston walk, resign Durant to a four year max through 2021, resign Curry to the new DPE max through 2022, then next summer extend Klay to their second DPE through 2024, all whilst Draymond is signed through 2020 already. Of course if they take that route they will be paying through the nose in luxury tax and the rest of their rotation will be exceptions (the MLE is being increased which will help), min sal vets and rookies, but if they want to keep the band together it's very doable for the next four years.

If they don't want to pay so much luxury tax on three max salaries or find that being so top heavy means their depth is just too shallow to compete, then either Klay or Draymond will make mightily enticing trade bait in the 2018 offseason.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 20, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Because the owners want to protect themselves from themselves so they don't give 200 million to Derrick Favors or Eric Bledsoe or whoever.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

Hot take: Stephs not the best player on the Warriors in their current set up

Second hot take: They really gotta ship Klay Thompson out of there and get a better center if they want Durant to play like he does

I almost feel that saying Steph is better than Durant is the hot take now. Hasn't the consensus moved pretty firmly to the side of KD being better?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Bosh getting released from the Heat, signing for the vet minimum with the Cavs then playing key minutes off the bench in the playoffs, culminating in him hitting the game winning three as time expires in the finals game 7 over Kevin Durant, only for him to have an artery explode in his lung just after release and die as he hits the floor, seeing the ball go in the hoop and know he died as champion, would be pretty awesome.

But on balance, probably not something I will be actively rooting for.

Actively.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

In tangential NBA news Chance the Rapper has dropped a Christmas mixtape with Jeremih and on the track which is basically "gently caress 2016" Chance gives shoutouts to David Bowie, Prince and Craig Sager. :smith:

Also it is good too

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Knicks when Rose is inactive or plays fewer than 10 minutes: 1-4, (three double digit losses)

Knicks when Rose plays more than 10 minutes: 15-9

Derrick.... Rose.... IS..... BACK BABY ?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Me and the other person who picked Kemba Walker as most underrated before the season started :cool: :hf: :cool:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I think if Simmons plays the end of this year and turns out to be the real deal and Embiid stays healthy all season then they will have enough pull to sign some above average free agents in the summer. They'll be one of the few teams with a lot of cap room after the glut of signings the last couple of years which will give them an advantage. Guys like Caldwell-Pope, Gallinari, Amir Johnson are probably not going to get the max (though who knows anymore?) and would be big signings for them and they can probably afford to pay slightly above market to try and get who they want.

I think that if Simmons and Embiid are healthy and good, they sign two above average vet FAs and they get a good player in the lottery then low 30s next season isn't out of the question in the East. With a target of getting a low seed in the playoffs in 2018/19. One problem they are going to have is Embiid is already in year three of his contract so they will have to max him after just two years of him playing, so they won't get the advantage of him being a near all-star player on a rookie deal.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Two promising rookies/might as well be rookies (maybe even one) on a still historically terrible team will not be enough to draw "vet FAs"

Money talks and they'll have more to spend than anyone else. Plus all those vet FAs have to actually sign somewhere.

They signed Jerryd Bayless this offseason who was perfectly fine when he was actually able to stay on the court. Guys at that level or maybe slightly above are who they'll be able to get, I'm not saying they're going after Paul Millsap.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

How does signing a bunch of middling and/or aging free agents that nobody competitive wants help you quickly transform from the worst team of all time into a playoff team, or was that not part of your argument? I think that's how this whole thing started

Either way it's not an ideal outcome

Because it was predicated on Simmons being good, Embiid staying healthy and them getting a good talent in the lottery, ideally a guard. The Sixers' problems the moment is they have Embiid who is potential all-star, and it's not outrageous to suggest that if he was playing more minutes he could be one in the east this year, Saric who is promising on offense but playing rookie defense, Illyasova and Rodriguez who are competent second unit players and then a bunch of non-NBA talent. If you have two all-stars in Simmons and Embiid (still a big if, but like I said that's what I based my prognostication on) and Saric and the draft pick can be starter level and you fill in around that in FA then you have a pretty decent chance at making the playoffs in the East in two season's time.

6-10 in the East at the moment is Hawks (Millsap and some solid guys but nothing more), Bucks (Giannis and a promising Parker but the rest of the team are nothing special at all), Pacers (Paul George is great, Turner promising, rest of the team meh), Washington (John Wall, Beal has been a disappointment, the incredible Otto Porter show and then a load of trash). If you have three good players you are automatically in playoff contention in the East.

e: missed off the Bulls (they are the Bulls)

In fact, the Bulls this year are showing that as long as you have two very good players (Wade and Buttler) and some competent guys with them (Lopez, Taj) then you can still make the playoffs even if you have Rajon loving Rondo as your point guard and your team construction makes absolutely no sense.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 24, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

We've joked for years about Moreyball being only layups and threes and absolutely nothing else and he's finally found a coach in D'Antoni who's like 'Yeah man, I totally agree!'.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Oh George.

quote:

Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test.
It's annoying to me this keeps getting trotted out. Armstrong failed several drug tests throughout his career, he just either had them waived off due to special medical exemptions he kept inventing or they were flat out suppressed by the UCI because he was 'donating' six figures to them every year.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The Warriors are at least as good as last year and maybe a little better but it's too soon to tell. Curry is shooting worse yes, though still at an all-star level, but Durant replacing Harrison Barnes is such a huge efficiency boost and KD is taking 17 shots a game vs the 9 per game that Barnes was, taking those shots away from bench players they had last year that shot quite frequently such as Speights and Ezeli (and Livingston and Iggy are both taking one shot per game fewer this season also).

On defence yes they miss Bogut but that will only matter for certain teams in certain situations. Yesterday the Cavs ran with Love playing center in crunch time and Tristan Thompson on the bench as they came back so Bogut wouldn't have been on the floor anyway. Conversely, Durant has been an upgrade over Barnes on defence too.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

quote:

The premise: The people of Lilliput, a fictional island nation that appears in the 1726 novel “Gulliver’s Travels,” want to join an international basketball league. But to be competitive enough for that, they import “Michael Jordan,” a man who turns out not to be the NBA Hall-of-Famer but happens to have the same name. This merger of his life passions is not a pipe dream. Morey said the show will debut in Houston within 18 months.

“It’s definitely happening,” he said.

I am ready.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm not really into the fake masculinity artisinal axe culture, but is there a way to do something to beard ends to not make them like brillow pads that scratch the poo poo out of you?
Yeah if you rub a little oil in every morning and then maybe once or twice a week shampoo and conditioner like you would your head hair then you don't get the abrasiveness and they are actually quite pleasant to touch and run your fingers through.

However when you're playing basketball it will still catch all your sweat and smell quite bad.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Got excited for a moment there but then saw it was JB and not JD.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I said in the summer, and lots of other people too probably, that he'd be a great fit in Philly. They can take on his salary and give Miami a pick or two with protections for him. He would be an ideal point guard to run the offense for their young team, plus is a good enough shooter and cutter to play off-ball when Simmons runs the point.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

I've never heard two commentators be more obnoxious and whiny than the Nuggets home announcers last night. That team is a blast to watch but holy gently caress they complained about every single thing that didn't go the Nuggets way.

They aren't great but there are worse announcing crews imo.

Worst:

1. Rockets - these guys are loving unbearable, I actively avoid watching Houston home games because they suck so much
2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Lakers
5. Warriors

Best:

1. Pelicans - these two just are really laid back and have fun without taking anything seriously
2. Twolves - probably the best crew for talking Xs and Os
3. Nets
4. Knicks - Breen is great and while Clyde offers no insight whatsoever his rhyming couplets are cool
5. Spurs

I don't think it's a coincidence that generally the worse teams have better and more bearable announcers.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 29, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Jota posted:

Sixers announcers own

Oh yeah, they are really good forgot about them. Clippers too.

Put Philly at 3 on the good list and put the Clippers at 4 on the bad list.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Austin Carr is having a ton of fun announcing basketball which is good because his career was cut short by injuries. He's a cool basketball grandpa with a smoky laugh that occasionally forgets his words.

Fred is a fairly generic Homer announcer. League average, I would say.

Slightly related; I've heard people be annoyed with the Cavs announcers for talking up every opponent which is a strange complaint to me. You'd rather they poo poo on the team? It's the NBA, anything is possible.

They are the second worst homers in the league for foul calls, plus they have annoying catchphrases and provide absolutely zero analysis or basketball talk besides distilling everything down into 'Cavs are winning because they want it more' unless they are losing in which case 'Cavs need to show more effort out there'.

Oh yeah and every three from more than six inches behind the line is 'from DEEP IN THE Q!!!!!'

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Kemba is actually probably the best PG in the east this season but he only started being the best this very season and it's fan voting and he plays on Charlotte so he might get in on coach vote but not fan vote probably

He should've been an All-Star even last year ahead of Thomas, he has a much more complete game. Unfortunately Charlotte is a small market so I don't think he has much of a chance.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dragic
Bogdanovic
Bjelica
Teletovic
Jokic

Bench: Vujacic, Udrih, Saric, Nurkic, Vucevic, Bender, BOBAN

That is a lot of outside shooting, good post scoring and some terrible, terrible defence. Also a lot of big men.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's also worth remembering in this fantasy that these regions arent economically devestated. So you have stronger taller fitter people. Add the baltics onto the Russian team, let's play some bball.

True.

quote:

I'd like to see a combined world/africa/euro euro teams vs whomever from the US would agree to play

I suggested this in the offseason and no-one else picked it up. :smith:

A basketball style Ryder Cup, USA vs Europe, three game series played in the pre-season over a week, played every two years. Of course you wouldn't get any of the big stars signing up due to injury concerns but it would be pretty fun.

e: Other fantasy not going to happen option to make the Olympics/World Champs more of an even contest would be to split the USA into states. Who's ready for semi-final matchups of California v France and Texas vs Spain?

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 30, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I think even with a fictional US v World competition where everyone plays. The US would have won most years this century. The only time I think the US could have lost would have been somewhere from 05-11. (This is assuming Duncan betrays his homeland again and plays for the US.

2008ish would be

CP3
Kobe
Lebron
Garnett
Duncan

vs

Nash
Parker
Kirilenko
Nowitzki
Yao

With Ginobili as 6th man and Pau rotating with Dirk and Yao.

World team wouldn't have anyone that could guard Lebron but otherwise it would be pretty competitive.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Team Germany

Dirk
Schröder
50 year old Detlef Schrempf
The corpse of Christian Welp
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <- (mystery player goes here)

A country of 80,000,000+ should really be able to produce more NBA caliber players than that.

Basketball was never a thing in Germany until Dirk came along and it is only really kind of a thing there now - Brose Bamberg are the dominant German team winning 6 of the last 7 Bundesliga titles and during that stretch they've never once made the final eight in the EuroLeague. Once Dirk retires there's a very good chance basketball will go back to being even more of a minority sport in Germany than it is now.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

1x First team and 2x Second team All-NBA Defense Andrei Kirilenko says what up?

Only player other than Hakeem to get a 5x6, and Hakeem needed double OT while AK47 did it in regulation.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

If Joel Embiid isn't averaging 36/19/7blk/8,000 retweets on January 1, 2021, I will donate 100 Trumpbucks to the Sandernista insurgency faction of your choice.

See you in the Kanye Administration.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

How the hell did Isaiah score 52 points last night without a single assist? As a point guard too for christ's sake.

That's some real Kobe poo poo.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

John Wall has gone from recovering from offseason surgery on a minutes restriction to playing at an All-NBA level. December stats - 24.9 ppg on .579 TS% with 10.9 assists and 2.7 steals.

They still aren't very good, but every third game or so Wall just takes over like a mini Westbrook and drags everyone along with him.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I assume the Denver deal would've sent one of Nurkic or Faried back to Atlanta otherwise that's a weird one from the Nuggets' point of view.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

:siren: GIANNIS :siren:

:siren: GIANNIS :siren:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Giannis got brought up exactly four times in the 65 page long pre-draft thread. To say he was under the radar is underselling it. It is mostly arguing about whether Oladipo or McLemore were more likely to develop a consistent jumper and everyone desperately hoping their team doesn't draft MCW.

However:

chuckles correctly posted:

So apparently GMs/scouts have been making pilgrimages to Athens to see Giannis Adetokunbo including Sam Presti and Daryl Morey.

Let the unrealistic comparisons begin. GREEK DURANT

oceanlife correctly posted:

Guys, hold up the draft talk for a minute. What if I told you I had a prospect that is foreign, unrealistically tall for his position, was compared to an all time great, and had the interest of the Boston Celtics?

Let me introduce you to the 6'10 point guard of the future, Greece's Giannis Adetokunbo.

Also everyone was spelling his last name wrong because it was changed later when he got Greek citizenship.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 5, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

What do Cleveland actually have to give in a trade? Isn't their next draft pick in like 2038?

Wow looking it up they actually have their own first rounder this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I don't really watch the Hawks much but see that they are 19-16 and in the fifth seed, yet from the general vibe around them this year I'd have guessed they were below .500 and a fringe playoff team. Why blow it up this year when you didn't last year in basically the same position, when you could've gotten something for Horford rather than letting him walk and more for Millsap than you will now?

It just comes across as a front office that hasn't had a clear plan since the 4-0 utter beatdown by the Cavs in the 2015 playoffs. They just ran it back last season and got exactly the same result and now are panicking, presumably because Howard didn't magically turn back into Orlando MVP level Howard.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread