Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zogo posted:

We're in uncharted waters as KD to the 2017 Warriors is like putting David Robinson or Shaq on the 1997 Bulls but these are close:

-1982 76ers lost in the finals and then Moses Malone joined the team.

-1970 Bucks with a dominant KAJ gets Oscar Robertson the next year.

-1968 Lakers lost in the finals and then Wilt Chamberlain joined the team.

Doing this to Dan Gilbert over and over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4FO-M6XxSc

His lack of the 3P shot is going to hurt going forward.

Moses is probably the closest comparison, as he was a two time MVP in '79 and '82. In 68 the league was a lot smaller and teams were stacked. In the age of "parity" you don't see teams with no weaknesses 1-5 but those Sixers came very close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bashez posted:

I keep randomly smiling.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Steph - washed
Klay - washed
KD - permawashed, preborn washed, has the genetic memories of a thousand washed dudes in his bloodline (but was good last night)
Pau - washed
LMA - washed
D. Rose - Not Back

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RCarr posted:

LeBron blocked a finger roll from the front of the rim that was probably going in last night. Seemed like it should have definitely been a goaltend.

On the other hand finger rolls are for softboys

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Of the four, I guess Klay would be the one most easily moved to the bench but KD would be the best fit there. They didn't have the three falling and rebounding is going to be a struggle all year long so I assume they'll focus on that moreso than lineup tweaks.

Then again Steph Curry is just the rich man's Crawford so

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Now I gotta cop the 0.2s out of principle

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I am excited for Embiid to be the Super Cool Beas/young Sabonis hybrid we all knew he could be but I've also been burned too many times by Anthony Randolph to trust anything cool or good

Glamorama26 posted:

No he's not.

rip yinka ~$~like whoa~$~

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Julius Randle put up 18/7/6, that's pretty outstanding especially considering how ordinary of a passer he was at UK and last year

Jota posted:

He was getting roasted on defense by loving Nik Stauskas. I do not have faith in Dipo.

Russ is gonna average a triple double this year though.

Sauce Castillo is just turning the corner free from the specter of Sacramento

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Much like flopping, illegal screens are an art. You don't have to be a Laimbeer-esque shithead about it but catching your dude by shuffling your feet helps open the offense up.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Papercut posted:

It was and his strategy was perfectly legitimate. Philly has a much better chance of being a top-4 seed in the next few years than bad teams who chased mediocre trade and free agency targets and are still just bad, like Sacramento or Phoenix.

It's still really brutal to see a team flatline for four years, it's cool that his minmax twink one weird trick worked out for the Sixers but it's hard on the fans, especially when you have setbacks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Looking the other way on illegal screens was a not insignificant part of opening the game back up and moving away from the terrible slog that was 90s and early 00s basketball so illegal screens are good imo

In 2k16 they called illegal screens in MyCareerPlayer and it was the worst

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

The Spurs are like the defining example of tanking working

It's all well and good if you can pull rotation worthy fringe all stars out of nothing but it helps to have generational big men to build around

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Duncan is retired and the Spurs are still some level of contender, and while he was still good last year, he wasn't the reason they won 67 games. Curry was the 7th pick. The Warriors didn't win a lottery, which to me is what the guy was talking about. None of the other guys mentioned required that high of a draft pick to get.

it's been one game my guy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Metapod posted:

I think tanking is a legitimate and good strategy; I like hinkie but I think he took it to an extreme that wasn't good. You need some vets to help get the young player adjusted to the NBA lifestyle.

exaclty, this is why Embiid suffers from basketbautism

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kevin Durant reads almost everything he can that's posted about him on the internet; it feeds into his perpetual shookness

euphronius posted:

Whether or not Simmons actually is a star is irrelevant to whether the process worked. The point was to get players like Simmons (consensus 1.1s). Process is over. It worked.

Now it's player development and injury luck and finding supporting players. But that is different and normal and mundane . That can still fail.

The process is to create a winning team so no, hasn't worked yet

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

The goal of every team is to win .
The goal to the process was how to transform the roster that was garbage post Bynum into one with superstar assets ( because super stars win in the NBA). This is what happened. Whether they actually turn into superstars is just regular team building .

The Sixers are a normal team now.

They were a normal team before they Kafka'd themseves into a joke for four seasons. It doesn't take that long to rebuild

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Sixers are in about the same place as the Lakers are except the Lakers have the advantage of having gotten their young guys a year of playing time (which is not necessarily the Sixers' fault of course but the Lakers also started rebuilding like two years after the Sixers)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Steven Adams isn't terrible though

Physically he's the kind of guy that could body Embiid

However, as Joel noted, he can't guard him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That Portland inbounds play is real slick, too bad you have to set a moving screen to get it off reliably (and as such is at the whims of the refs)

I think if you have both arms in and at least one foot on the ground it should be considered a legal screen but idk

Dale Ouise posted:

Should I pick up NBA 2k17 if I want to try to understand the sport better?

Probably, yeah. You can learn how set plays work, pick and rolls, and how defenses should work in theory

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

chunkles posted:

prepare the declan signal *shines an image of larry bird lying on his back during the olympics into the sky*

LARRY BIRD IS A GOOD DEFENDER IF WE ONLY COUNT STEALS, REBOUNDS, AND ABANDONED CHILDREN AS OUR METRICS

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

I feel like "top 5" or "top 10" center in the NBA is a label that is tossed around without anyone attempting to count. Kind of like how people throw out "one of the best passing big men" label without attempting to compare to anyone else.

Only like ten big men are good at passing and none of them except for Diaw and Gasol compare to the gold standard of Chris Webber/KG so idk man

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

well he isn't one already i can tell you that much

Blake Griffin is p dang good at passing

I always forget how good he is at passing, why doesn't anyone talk about it like they did Kevin Love's ~*~*~*outlet passes~*~*~*~*~

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

There was always talk about him having guard like skills but it felt like bullshit because all he did in college was score off lobs and putbacks. Then he got to the NBA and somehow it was actually true

Every basketball prospect is like a flower waiting to blossom, imo

Paulocaust posted:

You guys really need to watch Jonas Valancunias. He's way better than all but 2 of these guys.

e: look what happens when the Raptors finally include "pass the ball to JV" in their season plan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LtoWBxTSxmw

Best centre in the east no question.

No, Drummond is probably better from a straight value standpoint

I don't even know that JV is that much better than Vucevic

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

JV has made Drunmond his bitch every time they faced off. JV just dropped him off for a career high 32 like 6 days ago.

head2head don't matter otherwise we would think Deron is better than Chris Paul

JV could be good someday whereas Drummond is actually good right now

Dexo posted:

Desus and Mero are great. Also they aren't being entirely serious.

Everyone should watch Deus and Mero.

gently caress WIZ KHALIFA *airhorn*

Spite posted:

There's no guard currently playing anywhere near as dirty as Stockton. Except maybe CP3.

Delly has the white dude hustle, but I think he's more reckless than anything else. Stockton knew exactly what he was doing with every elbow to your kidneys.

rip lance

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think you'll see point guards facillitating from the pivot as opposed to strict face up isos and pick and rolls

I also think you'll see more big men initiating the offense especially as the size gap between positions decreases

Finally I think as a whole you'll see more off ball movement as players will be expected to hit shots on the move as well as with their feet set

This is in like two or three bball generations though and you'll always hve some people running the ball through goliaths

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you go by identical body type (6'2 with 6'10 wingspan) and athleticism, Reggie Jackson and George Hill are the Goofus and Gallant of the NBA

George Hill is a handsome boy and I miss him so

Patty Mills is cool and good though

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

The Process is good because it works sincerely if he winds up being really good and Philly turns things around and sarcastically if the foot issues become a recurring thing and Philly continues to be trash

omg how could you sayyyyy thaaaaaaaaat philly's turning it around definitely even if it hasn't won a game and its two credible stars haven't even played together yet

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

EvanTH posted:

knicks still suck and derrick rose sucks sort of like melo does, in a way that's not immediately obvious but is hugely detrimental

Melo Da Gawd is fine and ooh poo poo he has an ORTG of 98 and a DRTG of 110

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DeRozan is probably not gonna hit 55% or w/e of his midrange jumpers all season

those are not sustainable numbers buuuuuut even if he settles around 40 or 45% he might still be a 25 PPG scorer which is still drat fine

Athanatos posted:

Westbrook is dropping 60 points tonight right?

He's going to drop 15 in the first and tear his ACL early in the second trying way too hard to show up KD

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Philthy posted:

I haven't had much time to get into NBA this season yet. Watched the Bucks a little of last night, but I missed Thon Makers HOME debut.

He played one minute total.

Scored two 3 pointers in 30 seconds.

He's sitting at 6 points with one minute average played this season.

Edit: I guess he played an away game for two minutes and didn't get any points :(

A pedestrian 108 points per 36 minutes

troofs posted:

He definitely wanted to go to the knicks, especially once it was clear that the nuggets really wanted to trade him. He was fairly vocal about it. He even talked about going to NY in free agency before trade talks began.

None of that somehow makes it his fault that Denver was trying to ship him and that Dolan was willing to pay. The NY media spent years blasting him for not refusing the trade and publically declaring that he would sign for the knicks in free agency so that the knicks could get him for cheap, as if that makes any sense, and there are still people who somehow hold it against Melo that he didn't save Dolan from himself. It's crazy.

This was the reason given at the time for the trade, since a lot of people were wondering why NY didn't just wait for free agency considering it sort of seemed like they were bidding against themselves. Of course that's forgotten now in the rush to blame Melo for everything.

Bird rights and such. If you don't think Gallo and Wilson Chandler are central pieces to your championship contender (and with the advantage of hindsight we can see that they wouldn't be) then it makes more sense to be able to go over the cap to resign Melo and also attract top flight free agents. In theory, anyways.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

troofs posted:

I don't really have to value RoLo especially highly to say he's way better than Rose, because Rose is pretty awful. You're right about the Noah signing being bad, but they wouldn't have had to do that if they had just kept RoLo, although it certainly wouldn't stop them from doing another stupid thing with that money somewhere else.

How would you feel about Porzingis growing some long crazy hair and a weird moustache? I feel like it could be really good or really bad.

I guess they're clearing a lot of salary to make a run at Blake Griffin? Who knows if there is any kind of long-term plan.

I don't think committing that much money to Noah makes sense if you want to sign Griffin unless you want Noah as your sixth man

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Warriors defense is really really fuckin terrible, according to both THE EYE TEST and the fact that they're giving up 110 points a game (which is still only third worst in the NBA)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think Mike D'antoni is a fine coach as long as you give him a lineup that vaguely resembles the 04-06 Phoenix Suns. Slap a Joe Johnson jersey on Harden and let Pringles cook

triple sulk posted:

I watched the Embiid highlights from tonights game and holy moley he's so loving good

Would not be shocked if the Sixers ended up beating the Warriors on the back of Embiid

Pippen status

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's been a lot of chatter about how George Hill and Jeff Teague are working out, but how are the Hawks doing with a point guard rotation of Schroder and something called Malcolm Delaney?

Schroeder is decent. 15/7 on okayish shooting numbers please ignore three pointers. ORTG of 106. Not as good as Teague but five years younger and honestly about equal on D

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

This is true, but its hardly always negative. I guess I can see it being annoying always having the spotlight, but it seems easier to block that out than trying to follow a team that doesn't get any attention whatsoever.

My problem with Teague is that if he isn't able to penetrate, the rest of his game tends to stagnate really quickly. I don't know if Schroeder is better than Teague, but at least he's keeping more options open (even if his shooting isn't one of them).

Teague playbook:
1. Pick and Roll
2. Drive and Kick
3. Give and Go
4. Stand and Wait

He hit some threes last year but otherwise reminds me of Devin Harris in his prime which isn't necessarily bad but really goes downhill quickly

Schroder (which is pronounced Shroo-der; I thought it was Shray-der and everyone else pronounces it like the Peanuts dude) gives you about the same production but is still young enough to expand his skillset significantly, provided he is given enough burn to do so. It's still early but it looks like the Hawks made a really smart decision

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

I had season tickets for the Timberwolves when Kevin Love became a superstar. It was excruciating having to hear my team talked about like a AA farm team. My condolences to fans of Anthony Davis and Cousins.

I think a bunch of people warned that losing Bogut/Ezeli/Barnes is going to affect the Warriors, even with adding KD.

Also remember its November, and people write off really, really good teams way too early (see, Cavaliers twice in the last two years). The Warriors will eventually go on a tear where they win 29 out of 30 or something. They'll be fine.

The Warriors have a lovely defense and unless Durant decides to devote himself to protecting the rim and pulling down boards I don't think there's a "groove" they can get into

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

In my defense, I've gone through this with AD, CP3, and NOLA having an NBA team, in general.

Probably why I gravitated towards the Kings as my second team.

And the Wolves have had KG, Love, Starbury, and pre draft Rubio

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Offense isn't really the problem with the Warriors. They're fifth in the league with both Steph and Klay in slumps. They'll probably be tops in the league by the end of the season. They only have two players playing above average defense right now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also as fun as the shook jokes are Durant is far and away the best player on the Warriors right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dumping Green would be so loving stupid hth

Klay is way way way more replaceable

• Locked thread