Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I imagine this is what Shaq would've been like if twitter was around in his day, only Embiid is even greater.

Favorite player who isn't on my dumb lovely team.

Shaq isn't nearly witty enough to pull off even somewhat clever jokes like this. He would be a lot closer to Magic Johnson's level of tweeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Athanatos posted:

The Pacers are bad and I am sad.

The good news is the rest of the league is really fun to watch.

As much as some people were concerned that the Warriors were too good and about to break the league, it's kind of incredible how great the league is and how many players are having unbelievable starts to the year. Who do you even give the "First 15 games of the year" MVP award to? Harden? Durant? Westbrook? Derozan is leading the league in scoring. Antetekounpo is doing a mini-Lebron thing. Oh yeah, and Lebron is still Lebron. And Curry is still - somehow under the radar - shooting 3's at a historical rate. And none of these guys play on the best team in the league for now, the Clippers, where Griffin is starting off the year playing out of his mind too.

I've been watching the NBA since the late 80's, and this is by far the best shape it's been in, and it's looking like it'll stay this way for a while. Makes me happy.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

EvanTH posted:

There was a dang Knicks game at noon and we won and I missed it ahhh

Not counting the last game which I missed Joakim Noah is the best player on the Knicks right now. Kristaps is second best. Carmelo is tied with Kyle O'Quinn for third. Derrick Rose is terrible, Vujacic is cancerously bad, and Courtney Lee has been surprisingly bad. I thought he was supposed to be at least a good defender or something but he's not.

Who could have guessed that telling James Harden "hey just focus on offense" would work out for the positive

It'd be hilarious if D'antonio could sneak another minus defender past the MVP voters

This is the first time I've made it a point to keep an eye on Harden defensively, and poo poo, the guy doesn't even try on defense. He makes uninterested swipes at the ball as guys blow past him, he's always out of position, and (I know this sounds cliched) he has terrible body language on that end of the floor. And I know what all that looks like, because it's the same way I play defense after my old rear end gets tired of chasing around 20yr olds when I play pickup. An NBA player shouldn't be playing "lazy, nearly 40yrs old, pickup game" defense. It's like he's playing a video game on easy when he's on offense, but he might as well not be out there on defense. I completely understand the frustration people have with his game.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

You don't have to be a great defensive team to win it all, but it's been a long time since any team outside the top-10 in defense has. That said, Houston's D hasn't been that bad, and if they do have problems I don't think it's because of Harden. Clint Capela and Ryan Anderson front court is basically a ceiling of an average defensive team, at best.

Having your best player give absolutely no effort on one end of the court can't just be hand-waved away that easily tho, not just because their bigs aren't Hakeem and Duncan level defenders. Harden isn't a 6' point guard who physically can't contribute much defensively - he has the size, quickness and strength to at least be passable defensively. He just has a tendency to not care too much about defense, and pairing him with an offense-only coach like D'Antoni is feeding into his worst tendencies on that end. It's super entertaining offensively, but they're going to get beaten badly in the 1st or 2nd(they won't get that far) round of the playoffs by a team that has all it's players at least engaged and trying on both ends of the court.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

attackmole posted:

Top 5 is such a dumb criteria, especially as the league goes on and there's more and more players to consider. If you really have to 'rank' poo poo, tiers make more sense. MJ, Lebron, Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Duncan, etc. are godlike tier players who single handedly can put a team in championship contention. The end. Arbitrarily limiting yourself and trying to say 'but which 5 are best???' is dumb

No it's not. It's one of the top 3 most talked about topics in every sport, because it's fun to talk about. Calling a harmless and meaningless discussion about sports dumb is itself pretty dumb. The great thing is, using slightly different criteria, you can be right that Lebron is the GOAT, or that MJ is the GOAT, or Kareem or Wilt, or a few other guys.

It's just a fun thing to debate with fellow educated basketball fans like we have here. As long as nobody seriously brings up "ringzzz" as their argument, then it's all good.

For what it's worth, I think Lebron and MJ are tied for GOAT (eliminating Wilt from consideration because he doesn't count), tho the numbers seem to backup MJ more than Lebron, so I assume I'm putting Lebron in a tie with Jordan because I always hated Jordan.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Giannis seems more like a hybrid of Lebron and KD.

KD's body with Lebron's passing and finishing.

KD's height and Lebron's body actually. Giannis seems pretty ripped already. Guy is looking like a beast.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Durant's recent comments about fans booing him or whatever, the same as with Lebron's almost identical comments from the past , are perfectly harmless and reasonable things for an athlete to say. They didn't say that their haters are all losers, nor did they really even imply that. Whether are lives are great or lovely, we all use sports as a distraction, that's the whole point. Y'all love to read waaaaaay too much into what players say and what that means about their personalities.

Worst you can say about Durant here is that he's just copying what Lebron said first a few years ago, which indicates low character and bitch-made status.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

EvanTH posted:

He's driven to the basket as many times this season as Carmelo Anthony http://stats.nba.com/players/drives/#!?sort=DRIVES&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*500&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals
He's taken 143 FGAs and drawn ONE shooting foul all season. That's insane! It's an actual all-time record

I would be steamin' mad at the refs if they were treating my son like this.

Well, technically it could have been 2 and-1's...

But yeah, that is eye-poppingly low. For just showing up at the arena for the game 24 times and putting his jersey on the right way, he should have earned at least a couple free throws by now, let alone for a guy who's shooting nearly 6 shots a game. Did he kill every refs mothers or something? Is he a war criminal?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Wait, people are missing Sam Mitchell of all guys as a coach suddenly? He's always seemed like one of those ultra old school guys who the game has passed by at this point.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Depending on how popular the player is, they will still call it on end of rotation players.

That one was let go not (just) because of who did it, but when it happened. Any ref will think twice about giving a tech for rim hanging late in a close game on Christmas Day between the two best teams in the league. Lebron hanging too long on the rim doesn't negatively affect the Warriors at all, so they should just let it go. It's one of those calls refs should make every 5 games or so, so that players don't get too out of hand with it; it shouldn't be called late in an important game.

The Draymond call was probably one that could have been let go, but calling a foul on it isn't insane or anything. Green should learn to pick his spots for throwing a tantrum, and 2 minutes into a 4-2 game isn't the right spot for it. But, Draymond appears to be the rich man's Ron Artest, or the poor man's Dennis Rodman - they play with alot of energy and passion, it's why they're good on defense, but it occasionally goes overboard, and the team has to judge whether their overall play is worth the drama they start every so often. It almost always was for Rodman, it usually is for Draymond, and it was 50/50 for Artest.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Isn't this draft loaded with guards? Even if Dragic was cheapish, why would you want to mess with a golden opportunity.

Although you can say they could trade for Dragic and push for the playoffs and use the pick-swap with Sacramento as a slight hedge.

What's the golden opportunity? That they get someone really good at the PG spot in the draft, and that if they acquire Dragic it makes it less likely (because they'd presumably be giving up a pick or two for him)? If it's a guard heavy draft, then giving up a good pick for Dragic doesn't mean they can't get a good guard further down the board, don't they have like 12 picks in the 1st round next year or something ridiculous?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

I just want to say how weird it is that people in their 50s and 60s would have a 4 year engagement.

What's the rush? It's not like they're having kids or anything.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Pretty easy to make them take it seriously: just give the winner of the game a spot in the lottery.

Jesus Christ, this is a fantastic idea. Like, give them as many balls as the...5th worst team or something, and maybe don't allow them to win the first pick. Gives that large bulk of teams who are trying to decide between a)sticking with an ok-to-good team that's missing a superstar or b) blowing it up and tanking a bit some motivation to choose option a. They may have no shot of winning a ring with their current alright squad, but making the conference finals is within alot of alright team's grasp, and there is a huge potential bonus to getting there.

Tho I suppose it could lead to teams tanking to lose the Conference finals to get a chance at the lottery bonus, but that would only happen if they absolutely knew they had no chance against the other conference champ. I think teams are too competitive to do this tho.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

What's the famous gif of the guy waiting for his player to come out of the tunnel and he never does ?

Is that the one with the guy wearing the Tayshaun Prince jersey, looks at his phone to find out he'd been traded hours before, then sheepishly takes off the jersey?

I always loved that one

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Javale McGee fits these criteria.

I'm pretty sure there are Div-I college guys who won't get drafted in the NBA and will spend their careers bouncing around Euro clubs that would have absolutely destroyed the NBA in 1964. Just watch that Cousy "ball-handling" clip again - there are guys who play ball at the Y that don't look that bad defensively.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Stauskas just broke Oubre's ankles with the best crossover I've seen this year.

edit: wrong thread but eff it.

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/820449478108966912

This isn't the best crossover this year, but it's impressive looking because it's coming from a guy like Stauskas and not someone like Westbrook or Curry who do it all the time. It's play's like this that truly delineate the NBA game of today from the game of only a couple or 3 years ago. Most people would point to the rapid increase in the 3 point shot as the main difference between the league now and how it was played a few years ago, but I've found the real change is in the ball handling of the entire league.

This may all be anecdotal, but it seems that in just the last couple years (since around the time the Warriors got real good, tho I don't know if it's strictly because of them) most highlights begin with some sweet ball handling move, and it's not just point guards doing it. Random "unskilled" bigs buried on the bench are throwing out ankle breakers left and right. Teams used to have a primary ball handler with their PG, and maybe the SG could pull off a couple moves as well, but now even the 7'2 center for every team can put the ball on the floor, they can eurostep, and pull side steps and step backs into open jumpers. The overall ball skills of nearly every player is so much better than it used to be - watch highlights of bigs like Hakeem in the 90's - he was considered one of the most skilled big men ever, and a great ball handler for a center. But watching him dribble, he literally seemed to punch the ball clumsily to the floor while having to look down at it to not lose control. That worked against lovely 90's defense, but modern NBA bigs look as comfortable with the ball as PG's did back then. They go between the legs in traffic, pull off stutter step and hesitation moves, use their dribble as a weapon. When a draft bust like Stauskas pulls off a move like this, you know it's a huge change in the league, and definitely for the better.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Quit tugging on my jersey, Thread.

The slow mo makes it look a way worse, I think. He got a tech though.
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18528849

I can't view the video you posted, but I immediately had a similar reaction - the GIF is a slow motion clip, those things always look much worse than real time. It was just a run of the mill smack on the arm, meant to send the message to Jokic not to grab his jersey, a play that happens all the time. Slowing the clip down gives you, the viewer, alot of time to think about and analyze the play as it happens, and you naturally assume the player is thinking about it too, that DeAndre is lining up Jokic's joint for a crippling blow or something, when in fact it happened in a split second and neither player was really thinking about it as it happened. Jokic grabbed at his jersey, Deandre knocked his arm away. Pretty simple.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

no offense but that post is loving terrible. read's like a coach nick style hit piece. It is probably a scheme thing and calculated gamble by the coaching staff that the FG% difference for the PG on contest/no contest isn't worth as much as Russ in transition and better rebounding is. OKC is 6th in DRB% and 3rd in layups. Russ had the most transition possessions and the 17th best efficiency in transition last season. They also have a terrible half court offense.

I think the problem with this is that there's some debate on whether or not Russ getting free rebounds is actually leading to better team rebounding. It certainly can lead to better transition opportunities by getting him the ball as early in the possession as possible, but if he's getting these boards because Adams and Kanter are clearing out for him instead of grabbing it themselves, then that doesn't necessarily make their rebounding better, and may even make it worse. 6th in DRB% is good, but with guys like Adams and Kanter, this would be a good rebounding team regardless of whether or not their PG grabs 10 a game or not.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

dokmo posted:

It is my belief that while a player may work harder whenever he wants, he cannot will the ball to go in at a higher rate, no matter the financial stakes. If you really believe in contract years, this is a good way to put some money on that belief! There can be no losers, only winners.

I'm not going to put money on it or anything, but looking at Porter's numbers thru his career, it seems that this years improvement could easily be a continuation of his development, and not simply a flukey outlier for him. Like most young players, he's getting better every year, and it's not like the first half of this year is a small sample size for him - he's already played more minutes this year in just over 50 games than he has in any other full season other than last year (and he'll almost certainly get more minutes at the end of this year than he had last year barring injury). Usually when guys shooting percentages spike upwards like his have it's because they're not shooting as much and are more selective with those shots, but he's shooting more three's by a fair margin than he ever has, and hitting them at a league leading pace. I'm not intimately familiar with the roster changes the Wizards have made recently, but I think this is largely the same team as it was last year, so it's not like his role would have drastically changed.

In short, I think his improvement has a better chance of being real than flukey.

Doltos posted:

It's his passing. He has such an awesome understanding of the game that the Nuggets otherwise crowded offense has been completely revitalized. Towns and Davis's defense are way better than him though. And he still picks up a ton of crappy fouls.

Either way Jokic is a beast.

Oh yeah, and this too. It's alot of fun to watch his highlights, I've always loved to watch creative passers, especially big men. He's one of my top 5 favourite players right now, and I was barely aware of him before like 2 weeks ago. Big clumsy white stiffs who inexplicably are really good are my Kryptonite.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 11, 2017

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

I have new found appreciation for Nate Rob now, this is a pretty class act right here. Seemed genuinely appreciative of playing in the D-League, where most other guys in his situation would have been angry about it.

From a technical standpoint, this may very well be the best pass that has ever been thrown on a basketball court. It really has everything, and only Lebron could have pulled it off - no-look, throwing from a weird angle across his body while moving in the opposite direction, thrown with alot of speed but with pinpoint accuracy to not only go between Wiggins legs (who was standing about 15 feet from Lebron at the time), but to hit a cutting Williams right on time for an easy lay-in. It's not the greatest pass ever, or even Lebron's greatest pass ever, but Jesus, it's technically brilliant.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Why does it have to make money? Shouldn't the league be trying to develop as much professional basketball talent it possibly can so that it can improve the caliber of play in their league?

I'm also not sure baseball is unique just because of the type of sport it is. I think the financial aspects of it have led to their system. Teams in baseball can draft players and control them for a fraction of the cost of a professional contract for many years while they develop in the minors. You can't do that in the NBA right now. Why couldn't the NBA extend their draft a few rounds and do something similar? Instead of some good college player who may be a fringe NBA player in a few years playing out his years at college, maybe it'd be best for him to be drafted by an NBA team and spend those 3 years playing for a D-League squad. Gets to work against better talent and with better coaches.

I think the problem with the D-League is it's a half measure. They want a way to develop talent but don't want to go all-in on it.

There's no need for it to be more than a half-measure tho. They need a feeder league to fill in one or two end of the bench roster spots and 10-day contracts. Why go all-in and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a developmental league that most of your decent players or prospects will never play in? There's young guys who would benefit from it, potentially promising rookies who just can't get playing time yet for their NBA teams and could use the minutes somewhere to develop more and for their team to evaluate them, but in the NBA we're talking a couple dozen guys really. That doesn't justify having anything more than a "half-measure" developmental league.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

I was mediocre in high school but I had like 5 massive chase down blocks in our game against the school for the deaf that I still feel bad about

Chase down blocks are never something to be ashamed about :colbert:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Going down the flat earth rabbit hole is a bewildering and ultimately pointless waste of time guys, 95% of people who claim they believe it really don't and are just saying it because it's trendy. You're better off moving on and talking about the Dunk Contest or something.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

It's trendy to be dumb as a brick? We're living in amazing times.

It's always trendy to want to sound like you know something that other people don't. It's why conspiracy theories have always found an audience - it gives the people who choose to believe in them a sense of smugness that they "get it" while other people don't. Normally, if you want to get a sense of intellectual superiority over other people, you should strive to educate yourself over many years, try to actually understand how things work, read alot, think alot, things like that. Y'know, earn your knowledge and smugness. Once you've done that to the best of your abilities, you need to make sure you spend most of your time around people who haven't put as much effort into acquiring knowledge and you get to be the "smart one" in your group alot. This is what most of us do.

Conspiracy theories like flat-earth, anti-vaxxers etc are an attempt to cheat that process. It's "believed" and propagated by people who want to be the smart one in their group, but know that they aren't actually all that knowledgeable about things, so they make up or attach themselves to some theory with a few big words and try to fake it. They use all manner of circular reasoning, and love using some variety of the phrase "Like, how do you know [insert obvious fact here] is true and not a lie?"; a variation on the old "I'm just asking questions". Most other people just nod and smile at them and let them get away with it, because most people don't really care all that much about it. Arguing with them about it is counter-productive, because you're playing their game for them - they get to have a public debate about an absolutely stupid idea and (to themselves at least) sound like an intelligent knowledgeable person, and the person they're arguing with leaves the conversation with a sense of bewilderment and a sick feeling about the future of humanity. Don't worry about it when it inevitably happens to you (as goons, each of you have had or will have multiple "debates" like this with someone), it doesn't mean anything, they aren't convincing the general public about their ideas (most people are generally smarter than you think), so if you just let it go they'll eventually drop the "theory" because it's built on a foundation of sand and can only stay alive if it's actively opposing another, more reasonable theory.

This is why you don't want to go down this rabbit hole. Predictions on what Aaron Gordon is going to do to win the dunk contest is much more interesting - based on last years contest, I think there's a fairly good chance that he violates at least a couple of the laws physics on his way to 4 50's.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Maybe Sacramento management is starting to realize that they're incompetent and have blown their chance at putting a decent team around Cousins while poisoning the relationship with him, so they might as well move on and try to get a bunch of young guys and draft picks from him (which they'll inevitably also screw up somehow), so this could be looked at as a good move for them!

Or whatever view you need to have about the situation to prevent yourself from throwing yourself off a bridge Whyteryce :ohdear:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
This transaction seems to favour the team from New Orleans slightly more than the team from Sacramento. To a rather absurd degree. Should the league void it for "basketball reasons"? Perhaps for "sanity" reasons?

Doltos posted:

The only way this is excusable is if Cousins told Sacramento that he'd never resign with them and that this was literally the only offer they could get for the guy that wasn't a ridiculous lowball.

This offer was the ridiculous lowball offer...

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
New Orleans can still sign Cousins at the end of next season for more than any other team - just not for the super max - right? If so, then yeah, he'll resign with New Orleans. I predict they play the Warriors tight in the first round and lose in 6 games this year, get home court in the first round next year and make it to the 2nd round at least. That would be really promising, meaning Cousins would almost have to resign with them, unless he wants to take less money to start over with a new team that isn't likely to be as good as what he's got going on in New Orleans.

The lopsidedness of this deal is stunning, the Kings got nothing for a top 10 player in the league.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Wine hangovers are a lot more manageable than beer or liquor hangovers, smart move by Lebron.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Dimebag posted:

I don't think so, his mum told him he couldn't. Apparently that's a thing that happens to men in their 40s.

I'm 40 in a week, and if my mom called me up to tell me to cut it out, I'd cut it out too.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Toronto is no colder than about a half dozen other NBA cities; the whole "players don't want to live there!" thing is way overblown. As for Mexico City, it's a tropical climate, and it's not like young athletes making millions of dollars to play there would live anywhere near the slums or have to worry about drug cartel violence, so I don't see a real problem with that either.

Most people would live in an igloo at the north pole if you gave them an NBA minimum contract.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

No one, ever has "picked" the nba over China. You play in China because you have to, not because you want to. Gonna be the same with Mexico City. You play there because you have to, not because you want to.

Which you could say about essentially every team in the NBA at some point or another. Nobody is taking a pay cut right now to play in LA or Miami despite their warm climates, familiarity to American born players, and party type atmospheres that are attractive to young millionaires. Players go where the most money is 90% of the time, and most of the rest of the time they go to whatever team in whatever city has the best chance to be competitive. If players are clamoring right now to get to the hell hole that is Cleveland because they're a title favourite, then they'd do the same for any city anywhere else.

Hell, Mexico City could even be seen as a preferred destination, as it must be easier to get away with some of the..."less than legal" stuff that young rich guys like to partake in while living in Mexico City than it would be in Boston or Orlando.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Niwrad posted:

You can't count Doug and Harris/Nurkic.

But basically the Bulls gave up Taj Gibson, two 1st round picks (that ended up being Harris and Nurkic), and four 2nd round picks for Cameron Payne.

Also, I feel like every team has a player that you could do this type of comparison for, and it usually is very misleading, and thus not really indicative of anything. Oftentimes, if you wait a few years, a lot of the players that were actually big parts of each trade (ie veterans who were picked up for a short term boost to contention or for a playoff push) have retired, or the team had to salary dump some guy to sign someone else (which wouldn't be included in this comparison), so it's kinda unfair to say the team only has whatever mediocre player after trading a bunch of guys.

Obviously the Bulls front office is poo poo, and I couldn't care less about following their various transactions or what lead to them getting Cameron Payne, but I always take these kinds of things with a huge grain of salt. I'm sure even the Spurs have/have recently had players on their team whom you could do this for that would superficially make Pop or RC Buford look like morons.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

i like how Embiid being good gave half the league green lights to tank like crazy

next GM opening probably gets offered to Hinkie right?

It probably did, but I'm not sure using the Philly/Embiid example is such a good idea. Embiid is back to where he was before this season started - full of potential, unlikely to ever capitalize on it. I Imagine it's been bittersweet for 76er's fans to have watched this really good exciting young guy for (less than) half a season, only to see him go down again and again. He's played 31 games in the 3 years since he's been drafted. Being real good in those 31 games almost makes it worse - knowing you have a great player, but also knowing he's likely to medically retire in another year ;(

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
KAT is 21 years old, I'm sure he can handle 36 MPG just fine. The slightly increased chance of an injury playing a few more minutes than a hypothetical optimal amount is worth it so that the best young player in the league can get more experience and help his young team develop.

Plus, who are the "3 NBA caliber centers" on their roster? Cole Aldrich (big white stiff), Nikola Pekovic (always injured), and Jordan Hill (who?)?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Kat is a center, Gorgui Deng is a center, Cole Aldrich is a very good defensive back-up C. The problem is that Thibs is very much set in starting two bigs in the modern NBA and even more so after bjelica went down.

You start two bigs if you get something out of it defensively like Utah, but the Wolves are bad defensively even with that.

Of course, I'm the crazy person that would rather see Shabazz at the back-up 4 than being a back-up 3 because if you're going to be bad defensively, at least make your offense nigh-unstoppable.

Aldrich is a little better than I gave him credit for, but he's a nothing on offense, and he's not exactly an iron man (never played more than 61 games in a season). He won the genetic lottery and uses his size to be effective on defense, but he's the textbook definition of a journeyman big white stiff - he's pretty OK at being that, but you don't generally do well as a franchise if you play a guy like that more minutes over a 21yr old putting up Shaq type numbers. As you said yourself, if they're going to be bad defensively anyway, why play a guy like Aldrich more? He's not good enough defensively to move the meter for them on that end, and he might as well not exist on the offensive end.

Deng is a center, sure, but he's exactly an average player. Unfortunately for Minny, he's the only other big man they have that's competent. In that case, you kinda have to find a way to play him and your superstar C together as much as possible.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

dokmo posted:

Any team win% when a player has a triple double: .773

Big deal.

.773 is a real good winning percentage tho, so it would seem that having a player that can get alot of triple doubles for you would be "a big deal" and real valuable. Maybe even MOST valuable...

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I've disliked Phil Jackson for longer than alot of you guys have been alive (I hated the Bulls with the burning intensity of a thousand suns in the 90's) and I'm endlessly happy that nearly everyone else has finally come around to the fact that he's an overrated hack who was lucky enough to be associated with Michael Jordan (who I hated even more than Phil Jackson, but that's because he was really good and not on my team).

gently caress Phil Jackson.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Yeah, that Fizdale rant was pretty baller, so I guess I'm a "Grizzlies" fan now. Where do they play?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's a really weird article, the stats aren't that close but he insists that they are in italics so it must mean something.

Kawhi's better.

He reallllly had to stretch to make the comparison. He could have picked any other random star player on any other team and made the exact same argument. Kobe and Kawhi play different styles, are good at different things, and don't at all look alike when playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

He is playing with 3 future hall of famers, a future hall of fame coach, and a multiple time all star. Yes he is having a great year but he is hardly dragging the team to the playoffs.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you (San Antonio is a playoff team even without Kawhi), but this statement is pretty disingenuous. Parker and Ginobili were both below average players this year, and together with Pau, those are 3 well past their prime and fairly weak Hall of Fame players, all of whom will get in due in large part to their international play. If you (rightly) believe those 3 should get into the Hall, then you should include Aldridge in there as well.

• Locked thread