Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Zogo posted:

You mean 98-0.

Should be 97-1 at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

The point of power rankings isn't to say which team you think will be the best, it's which teams are the best right now. As long as the Warriors have their dick in the dirt, their rating is going to reflect that

wikipedia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_rating_system#Theory
Sports ratings systems use a variety of methods for rating teams, but the most prevalent method is called a power rating. The power rating of a team is a calculation of the team's strength relative to other teams in the same league or division. The basic idea is to maximize the amount of transitive relations in a given data set due to game outcomes. For example, if A defeats B and B defeats C, then one can safely say that A>B>C.

From an academic perspective, the use of linear algebra and statistics are popular among many of the systems' authors to determine their ratings. Some academic work is published in forums like the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, others in traditional statistics, mathematics, psychology, and computer science journals.

I did not realize how deep Rick and Marc Stein were getting into this.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't Silver have any say here? This seems like a bad precedent.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I also remember his horse dick :unsmith:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

Connect Four is a solved game, being "good" at it is like being "good" at tic-tac-toe

I think it's still respectable as long as he's playing timed games

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I read Rick's power rankings as an elaborate edifice to insult the Warriors and I approve of the effort.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Time posted:

Players I would draft ahead of Lebron

Hakeem Olajuwon
Robert Horry
Mario Ellie
Vernon Maxwell
Otis Thorpe

All time draft, no knowledge of post-draft career

1. David Robinson
2. Shaq
3. Wilt
4. Lebron
5. Dion Waiters (the Cavs picked 5th)

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, the coconut bullshit or the amazing french cookie sandwich things?

Macaron are the bullshit french meringue things. Macaroons are the amazing coconut things.

Chubby hubby is the best Ben and Jerry's.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

dokmo posted:

You bet what is this the dark ages? We have access to real data now no need to rely on medieval numerology anymore. His cherry picking number quest is killing their offense.

You're dead inside :(

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

dokmo posted:

I'm glad we went through this soul searching discussion about Kevin Love because it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately: the way we remember our predictions when we get them right and forget about the uncertainty we faced when making them. I'm looking through my predraft notes and I'm embarrassed by how low my success rate is. It may be helpful to have a prediction contest the next time a big trade happens so we can look back later and see exactly what we thought at the time and be humbled by how wrong we were (or gloat about how right we were). This would be different than just predicting wins or who makes the playoffs because there would be greater uncertainty, the main thing people forget.

Noah Vonleh and RJ Hunter just haven't been given a fair chance.

Went looking for the Kevin Love chat in the N/V thread and I don't think it's in archives. Someone has something to hide.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

ESPN has an article on how Kyrie Irving got a white woman sex boat:

quote:

"I'm naturally an Alpha," Irving told ESPN.com in a wide-ranging interview during a preview event for his new Nike sneaker, the Kyrie 3, on a gray Sunday afternoon in late November. "I know I am. I know I am. I have that type of personality but I also understood coming to this team, I couldn't be all of what I envision myself being in terms of taking control."

"Whether it be people being scared of what other people are going to think or scared of what the outcome will be -- the unknown is always scary for people," Irving explains. "I get it. But for me, I wanted to put it out to not only people that support me but just people who understand life. Not just to the game of basketball. Fear isn't real. It's just a product of our imagination. We're thinking about scenarios and we just end up scaring ourselves from opportunities. For me, it was just about always furthering self-awareness, self-acceptance, being better for myself so I can be better for the world. That was the most important thing. And fear was stopping me.

"It was always thinking about what people were going to say. What people were going to think about me afterwards and me making my decisions. If you live your life based on that, you drive yourself crazy. You're trying to be better for other people, rather than be better for yourself. So, that was a big, big thing for me to express that message that this is a guy over here -- I'm very flawed. I make mistakes all the time. But I'm not afraid to make those mistakes or be flawed. So, that fear is all gone. I'm not afraid of almost any situation or anything that I'm in. I feel like as I continue to prepare as a man for life, then I'll be prepared for anything."

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Korver is not better than JR Smith healthy, come on guys. JR was good in the finals because he can actually guard reasonably well among their wings while still being an elite shooter.

Yeah but can you imagine if they had both

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

No one has ever tried hard in the all-star game, ever.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

NBA teams are way better at player development and teaching skills and schemes than college teams, which really at big schools like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke etc. have absolutely no incentive to develop their one and done players at all. Plus very few colleges even run anything remotely like an NBA defensive scheme and have vastly simplified offenses, so even if they did teach that well it'd be of limited use. That's not even mentioning the NCAA restrictions on practice time and how much interaction you can have with your coaches, which obviously isn't an issue in the pros. I think it is better for a player's development to be an end of rotation guy getting six or seven minutes a game over 82 games in the NBA than a starter playing 28 minutes in 35 college games.

So sure, a 19 year old with one year in college is a better, more NBA ready than an 18 year old coming straight out of high school. But one year down the line I'd take the 19 year old with two years in the NBA over the 20 year old player who has one year in college and one in the pros.

The value to the NBA isn't really the development it's the extra year of filtering the washouts. Plus if you filter them in the NCAA it's a higher and much more uniform level of competition. Shabazz Muhammad would've been picked first overall out of high school if I remember right.

e:

Jota posted:

This is pretty much true. There was no some disproportionate amount of busts from players coming straight out of high school. Might even have been better for high school players vs college guys.

There's a selection bias here though for the most part the guys getting picked out of high school were better prospects coming out of high school than all the guys who didn't get picked out of high school.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 24, 2017

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

So what, is It's Raining Men a double entendre or what?

e: oh. OH.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Isnt Mike Sweetney 400 pounds now?

Awesome.

I wonder how close the closest person to Mike Sweetney was who thought he was dead and then remembered it was Robert Traylor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Ask your dad

• Locked thread