Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I only watched 1 Rockets game this preseason, but i am in. WCF, MVP. calling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Dissect this

whos red ranger and obama?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

RW played alongside KD (one of the greatest scorers in NBA history) and still put up bad FG shooting numbers every year.

AIs FG shooting in Denver was bad too. In 21 combined seasons AI and RW never had one single season with an eFG% of 50% or better.

I like RW as a personality, and his effort, but I don't think he gets enough calls to make it worth his difficult drives.. I got no numbers.

I missed the Harden chat, wooo0000

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Loan sharking ain't that bad, it serves those the system locked out, blame is on the system. When I have money i make loans out too. its like the crowdsourcing banking poo poo really.

No doubt he's a bad person; when you take advantage of people enough to take that much wealth/surplus value, but all rich people are equally guilty.

On Love, I remember most people here liked the trade with the win now argument, and the consensus was that the fit was perfect. some of the doubters were shut down and blame was put on gendo for poisoning Loves perception here, and he was a top 3 WS player or something. Fit wasn't an argument against iirc, people thought it was a great fit, at least in relation to the whole bosh thing.

rockets rulez.

oh yeah, I met with a dude who claims he grew up by Boogie, and been to his house, he's apparently dumb and a blood? dude thinks its Boogies fault his team sucks so i question his bias.

Femur fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 19, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

what's wrong with what I said? Our system is based on poo poo we take from the earth, and reputation(goodwill). Gilbert is in the middle of the goodwill side between loan sharks and goldman sachs.

when he builds enough good will, hell be bank of american.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I am pretty sure the general consensus was that Love was a great fit, with the Heats as the baseline. That's why people hated on Blatt.

I know Boogie is some misunderstood genius on here, but hey, that's what I heard, maybe the dude hated on cousins for getting out of the life he currently is trapped in, embellishing poo poo; gossip is half the point of this place.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That wasn't the consensus at all at first, there were even stories of Love and LeBron having arguments in the locker room and James calling him out in public about playing his role rather than wanting to be the main option on offence. Clearly the issue was more the way they ran the offence, but ego probably played a role, too.

Yeah that's after the reality, when they turn out to suck, and Lebron took a "break."

When their offense wasn't the greatest ever, then people considered defense and other poo poo to explain why.

Femur fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 19, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Mr. F! posted:

I highly doubt any basketball player or professional athelete is a crip or a blood lol

I doubt kids in Louisiana and alabama were in real gangs at that point in life, and just wanted to be cool, but I zone out when gang talk happens.

I really thought I preferenced my rumour with enough details to inform how much belief you should place in it; I only repeated it here because the source was above white bloggers; ie the ones who were linked on here about how Rose couldn't read, and now we all think he's dumb.

Femur fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 19, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
People really thought Lakers were taking Okafor until a few days before.. people said he was lazy and fat iirc..

Al Jefferson was hot that year so that style of play wasn't seen as a dead end that year.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I am seeing that Bigs are only game changers if they can do D and score, otherwise their value is the same as other players really, maybe even less because they are so rare that they take special handling.

dwight was the last one.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I don't think you can him underated as he had to go on tnt to explain how he is not. orlando and lakers both suck afterwards and still do. He could've been better with the rockets, but he was broken by then, and IMHO, Harden is probably not a great teammate either, dwight shouldn't be the scapegoat just because he sucks now and we side with winners.

He's a dude that probably could have used some good mentoring, but he idologize shaq and kg, and welp; plus injuries.. nothing can ever take away that magical year where​ he out dueled Lebron with that lovely team that made all their 3s.. it was Hakeem like. ate many crawfish watching that series.

too bad lakers had 3 skilled 7footers that year.

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 21, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

the back surgery kinda hosed up his career but it's hard to watch harden/capela run pick and rolls and think the rockets being offensively unwatchable was anything but a result of his insistence on being a big time post scorer.

Yes, but stars often have a hard time accepting reality.. Dwight expected to be a star and showcased when he signed with us, and many reasons caused this to not be the case, thus his unhappiness since his expectations were unmet.

Could Dwight have adapted? Yes.. so he failed himself, but who, besides dwight, thought he had that mental capability to be that introspective? He was a superstar who thought he was still recovering from a series of injuries, and had even just come off a conference final. I don't think it was reasonable for him to consider the problem was him yet, there were still reasonable excuses and there were still validations in his mind.

So coaches and gm could have known more about him and manage him better, as is their job..

Like it seems like I am minizing personal responsibilities, especially since we don't know the day to day stuff, but dwight met my expectations of him and of athletes in general, but the rockets failed my expectation for managing talent, so I defend dwight and place blame on them.

back in the Hakeem days, mattress mac used to come to my uncles work, and he tells them rockets inside stories. I don't remember much of what my uncle repeated to me, but one stuck to me about how the team was more selfish now and didn't really like each other like before.. I don't even remember if my uncle said this before the the rockets failed, or if he was ranting about it to explain why they lost. him and my dad get drunk and argue poo poo like this, and my uncle is a known liar and braggart. and its a standard generic explanation, but it stuck with me anyways.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I think ginobli had better handles then Harden, and the only important thing they had in common was that people struggle to reconcile their production with their athletic abilities.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Time posted:

Are you implying Harden isn't athletic? He's an incredibly gifted athlete

So was ginobli. but I meant perception wise. Like they are seen as crafty instead of being superior to their piers straight up.

Ginobli was maligned as lucky and flopper, and Harden with flopper, and game doesn't work in playoffs. The underlining criticism is that they do not deserve their numbers through dominance, physical in this case since we are talking sports. I believe this is the underlining basis for their comparison.

Femur fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 22, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

Nah, he would be Dwight Howard without the immaturity issues. This may have been brought up, but I'm still catching up to the thread.

How do you know this about maturity? Comparing some 80 year old to an 18?

Do you think he was genius enough to coach/play at once, or that he was unimportant enough that even half his attention didn't affect poo poo?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

More that Russell didn't immediately punch every Boston fan on sight for calling him monkey, friend of the family, or worse.

that is the cultural norm.

Even if he developed the ability to dunk as much as Dwight, there is no evidence that he wouldn't also develop the inability to say no to underage pussy that comes with scoring.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Hey, so did Harrison Barnes turn out to be good or not? I haven't heard much about him after the first week or 2.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Papercut posted:

I would hope Warriors management is much more concerned about the absolutely garbage rear end unforced turnovers that plague Curry's game more than Draymond's intensity. It absolutely boggles my mind that he's still doing this poo poo, I would've expected some of the veterans like Igoudala to step in by this point and be like cut the poo poo.

People talk about teamwork, blah blah, but the truth us, we all want a hot doger. Curry isn't chucking this year, and he and the Warriors are worse for it, because he is the greatest chucker the game has ever seen.

management needs to get off durants jock and pump up curry again. or don't, whatever it will be funny if the stats nerds take another L.

don't buy into your own poo poo.. yall were great because Curry was an ungaurdable monster, and the rest of the team roleplayers. teamwork is bs. you have a player who shot from half court as his offense. thats not great passing.

Femur fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 27, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Tae posted:

The warriors have higher offensive efficiency and a tick better defensively than last year

yes, neutered mvp +mvp is better than mvp +Barnes in the stats universe.

but people weren't looking for untrue reasons explain the eye test like this last year, gsw lost something, and they want to try to explain. they focus on unimportant obvious bs because they are sycophants,they don't want to admit teamwork is bs. free steph.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Gonna quote this so I can reread it and see if it makes any sense later

It means people are wondering why GSW don't blow out the cavs like they did last year, eye test.

they look to stats, rebounds, players missing, bogut, obvious insignificant bs.

the difference was the bs play of one mr Curry, who is defering to a lesser in durant. durant looks like he is a better nba player, but curry is the dude breaking the game because, his skills the abnormally, the cheat code. stop deferring to the scrub durant.

Femur fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 27, 2016

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
What has Karl said about Kemp? the best player he ruined. FU karl.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
What kinda legacies do stockton and malone have? They are who I think of when I think pnr.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I imagine living the year he had to in Sacramento must have caused a lot of resentment to build up that he is just unloading now. they got him on that confidentiality clause :lol:

member that all star break where he was fired, then wasn't? classic.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

dokmo posted:

Yeah, what's weird is that if you watch their games, there is a real lack of pick and roll. A few years ago I watched a bunch of their playoff games against the Bulls from the 90s and it struck me how few pick and rolls there were. Just to make sure, I just watched the first quarter of this random game from 2001. I count zero ball screens. To put that into context, the average NBA team in 2016 has 16 ball screens in the first quarter, and nobody has less than ten. There are a ton of screens in this game, including a lot of back screens which you don't really see today outside a GSW game, but no ball screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHMm2Etr5g
:siren: John Crotty alert :siren:

Look at this play. This would absolutely be a pick and roll by 2006, either a mid pnr with Ostertag or a step up with Donyell.

that's funny, I remember announcers kept talking about how great they were at it.. and I guess stockton dribbled around and perhaps ran pass with malone in the vacinity and passed back to him for a 12footer, and that was a pnr then? the pnr was attached to malone shooting wide open mid range shots iirc.

I also seem to recall that screening was a thing for roleplayers in those days, so you are prob riggt that MVP malone was prob not gonna debase himself like that.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Why didn't Green name check Durant in his rant?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Papercut posted:

The reporter's question was probably about him and Durant so instead of digging deeper he did the politic thing of spreading blame to the whole team.

You don't feel a roleplayer blaming the reigning unanimous MVP is digging deeper?

Then again, Steph might not feel the normal pressures of male machismo

https://imgur.com/a/SHxto

Femur fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 8, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Man, can the warriors lose two games in a row?

Do their players live boring rear end off court lives or something.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

predicto posted:

I don't understand the Rockets OR the Raptors. How does either of them win so much?

I thought I understood basketball. I understand the different reasons why other good teams win. The Warriors have great passers on offense and contest every shot on defense, the Cavs have Lebron and all those shooters and rebounders, the Celtics roll you with depth and perimeter defense, if the Grizzlies can force you to play their old school style, they will beat you, etc.

I look at the roster for the Rockets and Raptors and even acknowledging the incredible talents of Harden and Low/rozen I don't see how either works to create a team that good.

edit - I read everyone's subsequent posts explaining the Rockets' success and I still don't see it. Which is why I'm not in an NBA front office I guess.

You know how they say there is only 1 ball? What they really mean is there is only 1 possession; each team gets 1 possession per turn. The back and forth of turns is the pace. Since all professional​ teams are relatively the same, and use their possessions almost equally well; the differentiation​ is whether one team can outpace the others due to whatever special factor at different parts of the game, since the pace will be the same for the majority of the game.

rockets and raptors are known for doing 2 things well, 3s and ft.. the raptors also don't waste turns by TO.

3s artificially increase pace. you still got your 1 possession that turn, but you accomplished​ almost as much as 2.

FT artificially buff your possession, making sure it counts due to ease of fts.

that's basically it. doing these 2 things can swing pace, affect decision makings, lead to wins. most people don't think they have a chance, because their are teams that do the 3 things better, and for the raptors, they lack political capital to get fouls in the playoffs, ironically because their messaging is that their star is not good enough.

Femur fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I don't even know what's going on, everyone knew who was the robin in that relationship.

Pippen was culturally boxed in as sidekick. How can that guy get overrated?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
What's going in Indy pacer fans? is PG making the All-stars? I've have not heard anything talked about them outside of PG's few quotes and some early Miles hype this year? how is the new coach working out for yall?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
If Embiid turns out like we all hope, I believe the 76ers can win a championship with only 1 other superstar or a lot of good roleplayers.

I feel like being able to do layups/dunks all the time and carrying the defensive load allows the team to find players of less in demand skills sets, making this path the most easy to a championship.

edit: thanks, public works project and ScooterMctiny for the indy update. sucks your coach turned out like everyone thought.

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 19, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

dokmo posted:

My experience is that players want to be voted into the all star game but would prefer to rest and not play. This may not be universal.

This what Jalen Rose said also.

I don't know if Westbrook cares, but he definitely thinks he's better than Curry, and he got confirmation from his peers in overwhelming fashion, so atleast he got that.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

The Raptors, Cavaliers and Celtics have a combined SRS of 11.9 (one of these will be the finals team).

The Warriors have an SRS of 12.14

Zogo, does Lebron get FT opportunities at a higher rather than other superstars? and do they all pail next to Jordan? Do you just use FTA/FGA or usuage or something to figure this out?

Libertine posted:

I thought college Ingram comped really well to college Durant and I watched a lot of both of them in college. Ingram's shooting struggles are definitely bizarre but I'd give him a year or two to work on it, even though his numbers are presently pretty bad, he doesn't look like a guy at risk of being a washout/bust to me, he's also 19.

e: also since I liked Ingram a lot as a college player and advocated for him as #1 in the draft thread, he will obviously be a bust, as I curse every prospect I like.

He'll be a bust, can't finish and can't shoot free throws. people think he'll just get heavier and be able to finish, but he's already tall, but lacks quickness for it to matter. I don't know why people think he is a shooter, or will be one, when he cant make free throws.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

LeBron strongarmed the Cavs into overpaying for all of his agent/friend's clients and then complains that the front office isn't doing enough. There's nothing left to do! They have no flexibility left. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't hate LeBron or anything but it's completely asinine that he publicly called out Griffin for this poo poo in the first place.

I wouldn't call it strong arm, as he, kyrie, and love takes up the salary cap, so Cavs couldn't get any better replacements even if they wanted to. As you've pointed out, those players don't add great value, so why would any team take a trade for them for something good? this the reality of the salary cap, pushed by billionaire assholes, such as his boss.

gently caress barkley, and gently caress knowing your place bs logic.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
The most interesting thing about this Barkley thing is the whole "he's broke" thing. This is some widespread inside knowledge/rumour??

What was that championship game this year where Charles looked like his dog died after the game?

It's all making sense now, there's no way famously lazy fucker wanted extra projects like that race show without threats of leg breaking.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm kind of not getting how what Barkley said about LeBron was all that bad. Charles can say some dumb stuff about basketball (i.e. three-pointers) but in this case he is mostly right: Cleveland is the defending champs and they started off the year white-hot, so its not like they really need 2-3 new players to become championship contenders again. The Cavs are just in a funk right now.

Charles sure did get under his skin though, so it's clear LeBron is real frustrated right now.

That's because you are not seeing it from Lebron POV, he is doing his job by pushing for a better team in order to win. Charles is an irresponsible, drunk hypocrite, what does he know about the job of winning?

He is mad that this faker, deigns to question him, The King. That's why Lebron points out how irresponsible Barkley is, to show that he doesn't know the burden of leading and winning, a fake expert; what kinda advice is be happy with what you have, but compete? How is wanting better than what you have not competing? Chuck is a faker, akin to skip Bayless. After all, Chuck was happy with what he had, that's why he now prostates to his king, MJ. happiness is for losers.

This whole thing just reveals the truth. All those jokes about GM lebron, they were fake praise only meant to depower him, like how men think women control the household.

gently caress that noise Lebron. LONG LIVE THE KING.

Femur fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 1, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

-Cavs fans circa 2009-2010

Maybe he has just accepted the inevitable and wants to hang out with his bff. Whom he can also use as a fat meatshield after the future GSW humiliation. Lebron is next lvl.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
He gave Melo a no trade, noah that contract, and has been doing to Melo this year what we ridicule the Bulls management for.

Fisher.

plus he's been making smug remarks about the game for a while, leading one to question if its passed him by.

There is no reason to think he's got, or had, a good plan.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
is that rainman right hand man of the russian dude still running the Nets? or did he disappear after writing that we lost 150m email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

dokmo posted:

Can someone who isn't a million years old tell me what if anything this means to basketball or if it's just video game poo poo I can safely ignore.

another version of reality tv but for males.

• Locked thread