Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

My lurker opinion is that Durant will have a MVP level performance but not win MVP due to narrative reasons

you ain't a lurker you a fake rear end buster

RCarr posted:

I am very excite to watch my Knicks tonight

I am also "excited" to watch my knicks but it's the excitement before a battle where you're probably going to lose and die and your city will be razed by barbarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also, to be fair to Freddette it's not as awkward a statement as it appears to be.

I think it's in response to this.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/790906717546483713

Nah "white American kid no matter what race they are" is some George W. Bush level stupid word mashing

anyhow I'm sure all the jewishes and white mexicans are proud that they have a AAAA player to look up to

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

wandler20 posted:

Go Thunder. They should sure be fun to watch this year and I hope Russ does many cool Russ things. Hopefully Dipo also does cool things.

Thinking about getting League Pass for OKC this year, anyone use it and have an opinion on it?

If you live anywhere near OKC you can't use league pass to watch Thunder games because USA League Pass is a bad product

WESTBROOK MVP
https://vine.co/v/56HrnFaMDVQ
OLADIPO CO MVP
https://vine.co/v/56wgpP5ExT5

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also, to be fair to Freddette it's not as awkward a statement as it appears to be.

I think it's in response to this.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/790906717546483713

Also this article doesn't even have one mention of the important word--puberty.

On average black folks tend to hit puberty at a slightly lower age than white folks (and asians hit puberty even later). This has a big effect on recruiting and scouting, which has a knock-on effect on who gets high-level training. Players who show a pro-basketball-potential body earlier will receive more and better training. If you're big enough to start practicing with the really good big kids at a younger age, you'll get moved up to AAU and essentially have an accelerated training program against higher level competition. The European regions producing NBA players have a uniformity of race which means you won't have as much variance in the age they hit puberty so the recruiting and training is going to be a bit more evenly distributed.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ty1990 posted:

I know their roster is sort of a weird fit but I think Indy is getting overlooked big time in the East.

They seem like a lock for the playoffs but a first year head coach is always a big question mark

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

Pau will, in my opinion be an upgrade to Duncan. Yes, I said it. Sure, his defense will not be as good, but the Spurs have plenty of room to spare in that department. Meanwhile, Duncan couldn't score last year, but Pau looks like he'll be able to and he's a good rebounder which the spurs desperately need.

I don't think it's too controversial! Pau was playing at an all-star level last few years and Duncan got so bad he was forced to retire

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Did he really say this

https://theringer.com/lebron-is-still-painting-his-masterpiece-bdad85037eb0

quote:

Everything peaked with Steph Curry and the gunslinging Warriors, our most popular juggernaut since Jordan’s Bulls … right until the greatest player since Jordan brought Cleveland back from 3–1 to spoil Golden State’s victory party. LeBron had spent 13 years cruising through his career without a signature series or moment, and within the span of three games, he had both. (Long live The Block.) But that Cavs-Warriors rematch stands as our most unforgettable Finals since 1998, one of those rare times when you could feel the league’s history shifting (and then it did). Almost immediately, we pivoted to the NBA draft, then the Durant sweepstakes and a barrage of other signings, and then Team USA and the Olympics. Only in late August did the NBA finally exhale.

I could sorta agree that The Block is kind of his first really truly Iconic single moment. Something that'll get replayed for decades. Ray Allen's shot was the biggest moment from his previous finals wins

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

Depends on your qualifiers, he has several iconic moments that have gotten replayed endlessly for the last few years, they're just not from a game.

I think the context is LeBron as GOAT, which is a mandatory Jordan comparison so he needs a single moment to compare to Jordan to Kerr, hitting the shot over Ehlo, hitting the shot over Russell type of thing. Basically Simmons has moved completely away from talking basketball and is doing cultural analysis which is more about How Me And My Friends Feel vs. anything factual and arguable.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Anyone else feel like all the insatiable Towns hype means Anthony Davis is being hugely overlooked? Sure KAT put up one of the best ever rookie seasons, but Davis' 14/15 regular season was HOF caliber - not just awesome for a young guy, but awesome for anyone, ever. If he stays healthy for 70+ plus games (lol) then surely the Pelicans will be at least the eight seed. It's just really hard to lose a lot of games when you have one of the best seven or eight guys in the league starting for you, regardless of how garbage the surrounding cast is. Look at how Houston were a total shitshow last year but still won 41 games and took the eight seed purely because they have Harden.

Best ever PER for a 19 year old - A Davis 21.7
Best ever PER for a 20 year old - A Davis 26.5
Best ever PER for a 21 year old - A Davis 30.8
Anthony Davis' PER last season - 25.0

only possible explanation: Anthony Davis' career is over we should all forget about him completely.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Sharparoni posted:

Davis vs Towns vs :siren:JOEL EMBIID!!!:siren: is gonna make for a fun decade of Big Man Ball.

Kristaps Porzingis is a better defender

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

What about Lebron's block on Splitter? Or his game against Detroit (which I assume is what someone linked already)? Or the pic of his alleyoop from Wade?

I also think that criticism is bullshit because LeBron isn't going to hoist an off balance 20 ft shot over 2 defenders so you can remember some iconic moment, he's going to make the right play and find the open man.

I mean they were good plays but they weren't a superhero sailing out of the deep blue at 90 MPH to save the day and letting all of Cleveland cry tears of joy (if he'd hit that Dunk, Oh My God). Those other things wasn't stopping a go-ahead easy bucket from the returning Finals MVP on the Best Regular Season Team of All Time. The Block is a way bigger moment than anything he had before to the point where it diminishes those accomplishments. Or at least I think so. Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd2GCwkTd38

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 25, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

got some chores tonight posted:

i would not expect the knicks or the rockets to have expectionally low dribble numbers cuz i feel like most of their offences were letting superstars work

There were some moments last year where we looked like a good team with bad players

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Kawhi MVP y'all.

He's seriously some unearthly platonic ideal of a team player. Lenny Beans has played 324 regular season games, and scored 25 or more points in 26 (about to be 27) of them. The Spurs are 24-2 (about to be 25-2) in the regular season when Kawhi scores 25 or more.

(Include playoff games and it's 33-4, statistic carries over as 5-2 into Super Important Games which is still incredible but is less immediately one sided. To put this in a useless context, when Jordan scored 25 or more points in a playoff game his teams went 108-44)

(bbr says I should source them when I look stuff up so I considered this while watching the game and then looked it up on basketball-reference. use basketball reference dot com to look up stupid stuff thanks)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/791129050286854146
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niwrad posted:

How did Rose and Noah look?

Noah seemed really useful and good and was always doing great stuff off-ball and setting up good plays and Rose was pure garbage. Started hitting a lot of shots then kept taking idiotic looks and finished the game on like a 1-9 run and his passes weren't really where they should have been

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

quoting from gdt cause lol:

Ghost Dog posted:

lightyears ahead of traffic

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He was kinda doing that sorta stuff all last year you guys should watch Spurs games. They turned into a dunking team.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

That happened this year! It's not a contradiction!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hey remember when people were thinking Towns is already better than Davis ugh

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jack's Flow posted:

Wade Baldwin IV. What a solid name. I picture bespoke tailoring and cuban cigars.

sounds like a snitch name to me

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm sure russell "my brother is the fattest man in the world" westbrook just spends all of his time taunting fat people on camera

much lessbrook seems like a nice man

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

OH so we're posting the all-time greatest not-actual-basketball NBA clips are we!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56GL0ayF9Fs

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was thinking about how monumentally lame those "win one for the 'Land" commercials would've been if he hadn't gone and done just that. He's so good that it was merely kinda forgettable and forgivable.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
at least we'll always have that video clip of anthony davis naked on the locker room floor giggling as his teammates spank him

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I love opening week chaos when the bad teams win a few and all expectations are wrong

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

What confused me is is that 3 years ago, Thad Young was an exciting trade chip, like, we've gotta get a good first or someone good for him. Thad Young. And then for 2 years everyone's opinion of him was, can't shoot threes so he sucks. Then he signed with the Pacers and somehow Thad Young became a good player who can do all sorts of things again. Perception baby

Went from being an NBA player to a member of the Brooklyn Nets and back

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I think I might be cynical my first thought watching was "wow mudiay sucks"

btw bryon russell couldn't have been pushed if he hadn't dove the wrong way in the first place

edit:

Shear Modulus posted:

The drawn-up play on the second video was nice.

agreedo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tae posted:

Uh why was Faried guarding Lilard

because of strong precedent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbMS1rcaNR0

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Does anyone remember what team it was ran a play with their two bigs basically holding hands down the court into an elevator doorsish screen? I have no idea how to search for the video

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

p sure it was the Warriors who started doing it a bunch back before they were even a playoff team, then it spread like wildfire

no I'm talking about something that was like a joke play on the opening possession with two bigs basically linking arms and skipping down the court and it turned into a screen on a designed play

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

crazycello posted:

Raptors fans need to step up. That was Amir and Jonas.

https://youtu.be/quRwCAkaweM

That's the one haha what a great play friendship is the most powerful move of all

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Carlosologist posted:

Shook meme aside, Curry did play the Finals on pretty much one leg coming off a hard fought comeback against OKC. he was getting wrapped up on defense in some crazy physical ways too. so it's not surprising that he didn't play as well against a relatively fresh and healthy Kyrie Irving

DANG OL' INJURED LEG
https://i.imgur.com/y5bQ6EZ.gifv

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

does my boy have braces he's going to be the most confident player alive in a year or two him and drummond doing the smart work dang

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I just want to say that Steph Curry definitely had an all time great season last year, right up there with some great seasons from Alex English and Karl Malone and Bernard King

MourningView posted:

Stockton would also be a better Steph Curry if he played now, I demand he be acknowledged as the brave iconoclast ahead of his time that he was

John Stockton was a hero to regulation sized white men who love basketball and/but/especially the part where he played hard like he was supposed to for his whole career and never won poo poo and was ultimately defeated by a narcissist preacher out for his own glory

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 1, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought this was the good Grant

He is the good one! But the other is really bad so it doesn't mean much.

Anyhow I like him some and I think he'll be good on OKC

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

MCW out for 4-6 weeks.

ugh how lucky can this stupid bulls squad get

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

lol lebron's all "u mad" GSW is all "yes of course!"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Stevie Lee posted:

lmao

is he wearing headphones or what the gently caress is on his head

the coward marc gasol elbowed him in the ear

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Can we all agree that Evan Turner is not a very good basketball player and that it was silly to think otherwise.

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/793670251011465216

I thought we all agreed on that years ago

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
knicks still suck and derrick rose sucks sort of like melo does, in a way that's not immediately obvious but is hugely detrimental

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Declan MacManus posted:

Melo Da Gawd is fine and ooh poo poo he has an ORTG of 98 and a DRTG of 110

it's personally weird to me that it's difficult for some people to see that Melo and Rose are bad

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Boston, Portland and Houston are bad, yeah. Just straight up whining about calls all day long. I feel like Sacramento had some similar problems. Any time your broadcasters call the home team "the good guys" there's probably an issue.

Knicks Stink yet again ugh gonna be a poo poo year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Please Eat A Vegetable posted:

But really, does anyone expect a truly objective home announcer anywhere?

The broadcast team is year round one the best and sometimes only good thing about the Knicks.

A lot of the credit for the Linsanity phenomenon should go to Mike Breen because he can make regular season games feel like the dang playffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPs3LejANx4
He's mostly neutral and just goes with the excitement of the game because he's used to calling national events.

And he's always pointing out ex-Knicks when he's doing national broadcasts :)

the best Knicks were when Melo was out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6YDX1YwuQI

• Locked thread