Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am a fan of Nene until he gets injured. Do they have a third center option for when that happens?

Nope, not really. I feel like Capela can and should play 30+mpg; he's done a very good job keeping the fouls under control, but D'Antoni has kept him to 25mpg so far. Other than that it's basically just Onuaku, who isn't even active at the moment and will probably go to the D-League when that starts up. I think the plan is just to do tons of small ball and just accept that the defense is going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

chilihead posted:

This. How can you screw up a rebuild this badly? The only thing that keeps me warm at night is laughing at the Kings and Pelicans.
At least the Magic know how to build a team around a dominant big man.

hiring scott skiles to teach your team of young prospects is always unwise

They really kind of flamed out after the Dwight years though. Got fuckall in exchange for Dwight, everyone else on that team just kinda fell apart so they couldn't trade them off for picks/prospects.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

not scream at them and then resign midseason

e: my mistake, I thought he made it a season and a half, but he only coached the magic for one season.

you need the chillest coach ever for a perpetually bad team. like phil jackson, except without the triangle and with a willingness to coach a bad team, so not like phil jackson at all

chunkles fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 29, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dejan was Singler ever OK or am I thinking of Jonas Jerebko? Probably just getting my white Pistons journeymen from 5 years ago mixed up here

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jonas Jerebko was literally the best player on the team one season. Singler was never good.

Also neither are journeymen. They're both on their second teams.

My bad, I'm doing pushups and reading Zach Lowe articles as penance

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

I'd have thought NBA posters would be anti capital punishment.

That's actually not too bad, way better than five for every assist Hassan Whiteside has

In other news, some vaguely basketball related sentences that I thought were funny/interesting

quote:

Near the end of the war, Naismith wrote a letter to his wife, Maude, expressing concern about what was going to happen to all those young men when they returned home. He had an idea, he wrote, about what the government could do to help those men who had risked their lives for their country. In a few simple, handwritten pages, he drafted a plan similar to what would become the G.I. Bill — at the end of the next world war.

One modern invention that Naismith failed to appreciate properly was the automobile. He never understood why the car did not stop — as a team of horses did — when he yelled “whoa.”

He was once pulled over by a police officer who wanted to know why Naismith had failed to obey a boulevard stop sign.

“What’s a boulevard stop sign?” Naismith asked.

The officer gave up and let him go.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

“ZELMO BEATY: Bill was a strong believer in the power of honey. In the dressing room, he had honey candy bars and honey and tea for us to drink. He also had chocolate bars. He believed that honey and chocolate gave you energy.

Excerpt From: Terry Pluto. “Loose Balls.” iBooks. '

I got my exhaust leak fixed and am looking forward to being able to listen to the second half of Loose Balls.on audiobook

WhyteRyce posted:

I never liked Thad Young and never understood this

I never really got it either, I feel like GMs were hoping he'd get the three pointer worked out

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

what a scary thing to say

Symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy include memory loss, irritability and poor shot selection

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

EvanTH posted:

Does anyone remember what team it was ran a play with their two bigs basically holding hands down the court into an elevator doorsish screen? I have no idea how to search for the video

p sure it was the Warriors who started doing it a bunch back before they were even a playoff team, then it spread like wildfire

e: that was also back when Mark Jackson was coaching, and they played two bigs. see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUS4vUh4M6I

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 30, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Your debate partner is operating on the now-outdated alpha system of ranking players, you should strangle him to prove your dominance

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

dokmo posted:

The best PG isn't even a PG James Harden renders the position obsolete.

my man

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Marc Gasol is loving cool

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

His accent being borderline unintelligible despite living in the US since 8th grade is endearing

foreign NBA players have the coolest accents. it's a magical mix of their native language and being exposed to english through basketball culture, rap, etc

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyQSCH90zrA

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Time posted:

Does Declan still post? I guess we'll find out since Larry Bird's defense was just brought up

prepare the declan signal *shines an image of larry bird lying on his back during the olympics into the sky*

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

What a reasonable man

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

D-League camps are opening up which means your favorite prospect is headed down there. Rockets already sent Onuaku down, but surprisingly nobody else, does this mean we'll get primetime Kyle Wiltjer minutes against the Cavs?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I take it Luke Walton won't get near the amount of slack that Byron Scott got in the hopes that some of those championships had rubbed off on him somehow

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

humpthewind posted:

Gonna buy tickets to the Austin Spurs play the D-Fenders so I can cheer for Zubac really loudly.

if you're not joking let us know how it is, seems like it could be a fun thing to do

Tae posted:

The gently caress, how did Thibs get 4 years/64 million.

It would be funny if Thibs insane workaholism makes him the first good coach-GM

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

He's the centerpiece of my all-NBA competitive eating team

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

His positioning and footwork are good and his passing is evolving. Plus he's 7 foot tall and you can't teach that

Actually you can, but you have to start when they are babies

quote:

A minister as well as a medical doctor, he quickly realized that taller players had an advantage in basketball and wondered if there was a way to stretch babies to make them grow taller. Naismith actually conducted experiments on a machine he invented.
In 1907, he said his theory was that “the body is more or less elastic” and that “by stretching the body 30 minutes a day for six months, it will lengthen two inches.” He thought the best time to stretch individuals was from 5 months to a year old. He was worried that an individual might grow too quickly, and there would be no way to stop it from happening.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Gynecolojustice posted:

really excited about the offerings on NBAtv tonight, Houston/Cleveland right when I get home from work, and GSW/Portland right as I settle in bed after a nice meal and maybe even a little gravity bong action!

Harden may or may not be out tonight so the gravity bong could be a necessary ingredient

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm down with Jaylen Brown

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

leftist heap posted:

I can't believe we're just glossing over the fact that Steven Adams uses a complete clown phone.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

impressionable young men will see that and think it's okay to go around being rick james

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Eric Gordon looking great surprised me, but it's balanced out by Ryan Anderson not looking great.

Overall, I'm just happy to see them run a drat offense. They need a point guard for when Harden sits, but when he's playing it looks legit with like, screens and cuts and other poo poo they couldn't do because they had to clear out for Dwight.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

attackmole posted:

Everyone made fun of him for it but I miss his Demolition Man hair. Made him super easy to pick out on the court which I always like when I'm intensely staring down a game. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember the Rocket used a Jason Terry, Corey Brewer, Josh Smith lineup a few times and that weirded me out because even though those guys are three different sizes it turns out the signifier in my head for all of them is 'black, buzz cut + headband' and it would make my brain short circuit figuring who was who while simultaneously paying attention to the game.

This is the most sensible explanation I've heard for why that bench unit was able to score at all let alone provide some of the more watchable Rockets ball in the Dwight era

attackmole posted:

e: also I just learned that Jason Terry is benchwarming for the Bucks???? I got confused for a minute and then remembered the Kidd/Terry connection via their time on the Mavericks. Wonder if he's getting groomed for coaching or if he's just there to keep the young guys in line.

Probably all of the above, but he wasn't terrible his last year on the Rockets. Good for a couple 3s, probably shouldn't have played as much as he did but that wasn't his fault.

e: Harden was the first Rocket with 40/15ast/5 in a game. Most Valuable Beard

chunkles fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 2, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

he is risen

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Next week: Courtney Lee traded to BC NIzhny Novgorod

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm pretty late to announcer chat but Craig Ackerman (doing Rockets road games this year and going full time next) is a massive improvement. Yesterday they had an impromptu triangle history lesson. Bill and Bull are in a really bad codependent homerism relationship but Bullard is one of the few announcers who seems to actually understand charge rules and occasionally throws out stats like pace, ortg and stuff. Between running an actual offense and Ackerman I'm going to try and watch every Rockets game for the first time in a few years.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Hopin we get an epic Sheed rant about Flint.

Tae posted:

Is it just me, or are there WAY more rematch games already?

That scheduling guy did retire, I wonder if the new philosophy is different somehow

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I read this article last night and enjoyed it a lot, it's Jason Concepcion making the most convincing devil's advocate argument I've read for hiring D'Antoni: https://theringer.com/the-inspirational-courage-of-houstons-awful-defense-80e8f86c2221#.j1jauwlp4

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rick posted:

If Houston's plan for hiring D'Antoni is really to just up the value of their roster for potential trades then that's pretty interesting. I'm sort of tired of giving Morey the benefit of the doubt, though.

Pretty sure the D'Antoni thing is mostly Leslie, although he and Morey are definitely in alignment on shot selection. I get the sense that Morey would've committed all the war crimes Hinkie did years earlier if Leslie wasn't in charge. Probably a good thing in the end that he is, even if I dislike his coach hires.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

attackmole posted:

-d'antoni rockets proverb.

Rockets led by D'Antoni against the Warriors feels more like Charge of the Light Brigade to me. Or maybe Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, which was rededicated after Napoleon dissolved the Republic, D'Antoni of course being the defender and embodiment of enlightenment ideals who becomes a tyrant. However I appreciate the sentiment and will be raging frequently

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/dekker/status/793997511518195712

Dekker with some advice for all the brothers in the struggle

e: Also check Joshua Smith on RGV :prepop:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The toughest part of the year is when Clyde Drexler tries to contribute by saying announcery things before going back to sounding like he's been pregaming in the parking lot

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

i feel like lebron is coasting tbh. kyrie and klove are doing a lot tho, and shump is hitting shots which is weird cause he was useless as a player last year

Seems like the right strategy, it's nice he is on a team where he can coast

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

His back is hosed and clearly he doesn't have any other offers. He should probably take it. Not sure what he and his agent are thinking

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Is it just me or does basketball-reference not have heat map shot charts any more? That's very upsetting.

Tae posted:

41% 3-point ace Dwyane Wade just hit 3/4 3's tonight.

Is this the longest con for a lovely shooter to suddenly knock it down like he's klay thompson?

I was gonna mention something about LeBron putting together a couple seasons of good shooting, but I checked and he's actually all over the place. He's done seasons from 29% to 40%. But it's not like it's unheard of someone to develop a good 3 point shot, and he took like 50 3s last season so it's not like he's a remorseless chucker about it. Maybe he really worked on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Apparently according to Calvin Watkins Donatas is looking into playing overseas. I guess he really wants some cashish because according to Stein's article if he does that he remains an RFA.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 5, 2016

• Locked thread