Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Once upon a time a Swedish studio Amuze made its first game for Sega. It was called Headhunter and the initial, Dreamcast, version was never allowed to leave Europe, probably for good reasons. Then it was released on the PS2 and got to the US of A. Some years later Amuze made its second game, Headhunter: Redemption. Then Amuze shut down.

It wasn't a big loss, or maybe it was a tragedy. The creative director for the games, John Kroknes, has this wonderful idea that when you're inspired by things you just copy them. John Kroknes was inspired by all things late '90s.

UPDATES:

01. Graduated kindergarten.

02. Eventual brain death.

03. Meet Bruce.

04. Close to your sister.

05. The X-Must is on me.

06. Mix chemicals.

07. Things I can't swallow.

08. The headhunter way.

09. The final solution.

10. Nanites.

Jack Wade's Powers:

Jack Wade's Fanart:

dbcooper posted:

Headhunter's America sounds like a Law & Order state with a privatized law enforcement system to create lots of new jobs in the gig economy, strong border security to prevent illegal organ smuggling and televised national criminal and bounty hunter ranking system.

Jack Wade is not the only number two around here

Esteban Ramirez sounds like a bad hombre

Hank Redwood is just a hard-working, red-blooded American who dropped out of school to enroll in the School of Hard Knocks

inscrutable horse posted:

I have an early day tomorrow, so it's a quick and dirty MSPaint saga

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there something wrong with your resolution or does everyone really look vertically stretched? It's like watching a cartoon character that's been squished from both sides.

edit: I am looking forward to the inevitable bike chase scene.

e2: HOLY poo poo THOSE NEWS

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 26, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I think we all know that this was a truly beautiful game made by beautiful people

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The only reason I know about this game is that part of Jack's theme music (which plays during the bike riding) was used in early episodes of Game Center CX.

Man, the "satire" just reeks from those news and loading screen ads. And god drat, Bill Waverley is giving it all he's got. Give that man a raise.

Also, that is not the voice I expected for Hank Redwood, headhunting lumberjack.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
It's called bedside manner, Jesus Christ. Somebody fire that nurse.

On the other hand, the news anchors are amazing.

I WONDER IF ALAN IS EVIL

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This game. I absolutely loved this game for some reason but I just couldn't beat a late game bit so I never finished it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy poo poo. I cannot conceive of the kind of mind that comes up with the idea that the only way to unlock plot missions and equipment is to level up by driving a vehicle around the interstitial stage select screen. That's like if Megaman made you twiddle the stage select cursor several hundred times before it let you can actually click a portrait. That the bike then handles so poorly you can barely steer and punishes you for not steering correctly just takes it over the top.

The drama and dialogue is bad spy/cop movie and the news adverts are trying hard as hell to be Robocop. But not even, like, the movie Robocop; they're aiming for something like TV Robocop and failing.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 27, 2016

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
Headhunter's America sounds like a Law & Order state with a privatized law enforcement system to create lots of new jobs in the gig economy, strong border security to prevent illegal organ smuggling and televised national criminal and bounty hunter ranking system.

Jack Wade is not the only number two around here

Esteban Ramirez sounds like a bad hombre

Hank Redwood is just a hard-working, red-blooded American who dropped out of school to enroll in the School of Hard Knocks

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
gently caress Headhunter. I want to see the story about Redwood and the dog.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Skippy Granola posted:

At least then you could jump into the action without any of that other garbage, because he's already at the top of the ranks.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Skippy Granola posted:

I have an early day tomorrow, so it's a quick and dirty MSPaint saga

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Dog is definitely #TeamWade

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I remember trying this when it was new through rental, and getting the hang of the bad driving, but absolutely sucking at the first story mission for some reason. I do remember it having a scripted enemy routine that was more than just pacing back and forth and maybe sleeping, which was pretty keen for the time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

02. Eventual brain death.

Jack Wade can teleport objects.

He's also so hardcore he nails an extra plank to a door before prying them all off.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember the shooting, I remember the bike, I remember the smarm, I remember the newscasts. I completely forgot how much key hunting there was. The small size of the area exaggerates it but a key to get a key to get a key to get a key to get a key over the span of what amounts to 4 rooms is ridiculous.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

03. Meet Bruce.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Thanks for the new video, really needed a laugh after last night.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now that I'm experiencing it again, this whole game feels like someone had a (in his mind) really brilliant and funny satire about crime, punishment, and corporations but couldn't ever get it out until they convinced someone to pay to attach a mediocre shooter to it.

Still love those news reports though.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It's Robocop without the satirical edge.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

It's Robocop without the satirical edge.

Robocop indeed ain't the same if it isn't written by a half-mad neocon.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

This game is poo poo, but those newscasts keep bringing me back.

Esoteric Banana fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 10, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So why such a heavy emphasis on organs? What are Americans doing to their bodies to burn them out so fast? :psyduck:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So why such a heavy emphasis on organs? What are Americans doing to their bodies to burn them out so fast? :psyduck:

Doritos Locos Tacos are a cruel but unshakable mistress.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Bill Waverley and Kate Gloss are my spirit animal

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

Bill Waverley and Kate Gloss are my spirit animal

Better performances than Kit Harrington in COD: Infinite

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Skippy Granola posted:

Better performances than Kit Harrington in COD: Infinite

whoa that came out?

also another person chiming in to say that those news segments are the tits

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Final Boss better be the dog.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I've thought about doing an LP of this game, but my thread title would have been "Metal Gear meets Dead to Rights".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What if we took the backtracking from the gas station and spread it over a large area?

04. Close to your sister.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So if you're going back to the Wolfpack building I guess we're already repeating levels literally a level after beating the first one?

That bike riding theme must have been the only reason I liked this game back then.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
That sure was an accent Ramirez had. He sounded like Speedy Gonzalez doing a Yaakov Smirnoff impression.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A recycled map! 2x10 minutes of the bike! A 4+-minute boss fight in which you're threatened by gently caress-all! This bastard of a game is trying to kill me.

05. The X-Must is on me.

But I know we're coming close to the point where this poo poo goes off the rails.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I like how, despite being wanted for all those crimes, you can just walk right into LEILA and get your license upgraded.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I caught myself thinking "wow, that's some really neat acting" when watching the newscast about the nuclear bomb, then immediately wondered "wait, is that like actually good, or is the rest of the game just totally dulling my senses to the point where showing different emotions is so much a positive that it's basically overshadowing everything else?".

Like, the game has an underwater prison where gladiatorial combat between inmates is televised nationally, and they made it boring. Come the gently caress on.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
If you told me that this game was meant as a parody of bad game design, I'd probably believe you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

"I bet there's a few people who would like one of Jack Wade's organs inside them, eh Kate?" :pervert:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"I bet there's a few people who would like one of Jack Wade's organs inside them, eh Kate?" :pervert:

That made sitting through the motorcycle segment worthwhile.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that was a quick prison stay. Jack must have been there for a whole 30 minutes.

TheMcD posted:

I caught myself thinking "wow, that's some really neat acting" when watching the newscast about the nuclear bomb, then immediately wondered "wait, is that like actually good, or is the rest of the game just totally dulling my senses to the point where showing different emotions is so much a positive that it's basically overshadowing everything else?".

Like, the game has an underwater prison where gladiatorial combat between inmates is televised nationally, and they made it boring. Come the gently caress on.

Nah, they're good. I mean, not good good. But good.

As an aside that spillway seems really familiar and I think that was where I (slowly) grinded my motorcycle points because of the complete lack of traffic. You can't get a really high speed going but there's no chance of slamming into a car that spawned too quickly to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Even though I know they're based on the same thing, Don Fulci sounds too much like Baron Greenback for me to take him seriously.

• Locked thread