Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I love Headhunter, despite everything. It's like playing a direct to DVD movie.

The newscasts are legit great. Not good great but, y'know... ORGANS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Angela cooks only one thing in this update.

06. Mix chemicals.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There was an impressive amount of detail in that control room to store two items.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I like how this game saves the state of your sunglasses but I am deeply disappointed that there aren't any sunglasses related effects/debuffs, like not being able to see anything at night while they're on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

I like how this game saves the state of your sunglasses but I am deeply disappointed that there aren't any sunglasses related effects/debuffs, like not being able to see anything at night while they're on.

Considering the genre we're working in ("Sarcastic hero" is its own genre in my head) wearing your sunglasses at night would make you see better.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Considering the genre we're working in ("Sarcastic hero" is its own genre in my head) wearing your sunglasses at night would make you see better.

Only if you're JC Denton.

So I only played this game up for a bit of time (up to the first mission I think), but I keep seeing it everywhere, including, for some reason, a PAL Dreamcast copy in a used game store in Rochester NY. Watching this now I can see I didn't actually miss out on much. Considering when it came out and considering its topics (organ smuggling, private law enforcement) it feels like this came out of a Hideo Kojima fever dream but as translated through western developers that don't have the chops to make it work.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

07. Things I can't swallow.

After the in-video discovery I checked another design.

What were they trying to create?

Maybe decided to give their MP5 the front of the Pulse Rifle.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
My first thought at seeing the helicopter was "That's Airwolf! What the hell?!". Then you confirmed it. The end-of-video sting was perfect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Headhunter theme is too good for Headhunter. It almost made that cutscene exciting.

Copying aside I can't believe that wasn't a helicopter boss fight. Maybe they're saving that for later. Also so many things are causing me to twitch, even if I know the actual reason. Why didn't Angela just go with Jack to the evacuation ship? (Because they wanted a scene of "Quick, get in!" or they first planned out the scene of Angela needing time to find out who the Don was then changed it later for some reason) Why does the chief deliberately ask for a meet in a location that he knows Jack can't access, assuming this isn't a complete trap? (Because they couldn't think of/pay for anything between the ship and now) Why can't Ramirez shoot his minigun after the lights are shot out? (Because the fight would be impossible otherwise)

The only question I can't think of the answer to is: why do I remember liking this game?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 7, 2016

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

Thank you Headhunter for the twist everyone saw coming. No poo poo the weird creep who got your father's company and power is the bad guy.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Airwolf theme song, huh? Sure has been a long time since I heard that one. Yep.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

The only question I can't think of the answer to is: why do I remember liking this game?
It's all in the ending.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

It's a pity that Ramirez died in that cut scene, because "rear end Hunter" actually sounds like a reality show that would get made in the wild and crazy Future 90s of Headhunter. And it would've starred Ramirez the Gay Mexican Cowboy.

I need more sleep is probably my point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

It's all in the ending.

I never got to the ending, which is probably why I remember the game so much. I liked it but couldn't beat it because 16 year old me couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do in a very specific part. It was probably a ridiculously obvious thing that I just couldn't think of but I'm honestly looking forward to learning what the game wanted me to do there more than anything else.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, the music's amazing, way too good for most of this game (basically, anything but the newscasts).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like this game somehow predicted our present to a degree, or at least our incoming present...

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
:newlol:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jeez I think that was an Elian Gonzalez reference in that one news segment during the latter part of episode 3.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeez I think that was an Elian Gonzalez reference in that one news segment during the latter part of episode 3.

As Carl Sagan wrote, "Time is a flushing toilet, spiralling inward to oblivion."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Esoteric Banana posted:

Thank you Headhunter for the twist everyone saw coming. No poo poo the weird creep who got your father's company and power is the bad guy.
Yeah that may have been the most predictable twist I've seen in a game.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that may have been the most predictable twist I've seen in a game.

The moment you see the guy, it's super clear he's a creep and the bad guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes and this game is basically the plot of a bad 80s/90s action movie

Jack keeps reminding me of Chuck Norris which is driving me nuts

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Jack has more charisma and emotional range than Chuck Norris.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I'm up to my ears in work-related crap this week so the update is coming late.

In the meantime...

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

Dance, Jack, dance!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

08. The headhunter way.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

And here I thought this game couldn't get any shittier, but no, it just turned the climactic showdown between Wade and Hank Redwood into a loving QTE. Just marvelous.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The most annoying part about her not holding the gun with both hands is that her left hand isn't even helping her pose or look cool, it's just stiffly hanging here. :argh:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I think that was the first QTE I had ever encountered in my life and I could not pass it. I don't mean the entire sequence either, I mean the very first prompt. To this day I don't know exactly why I couldn't do it, maybe my controller was broken, maybe I kept on using the D-pad instead of the sticks (or vice versa, whatever actually works) but Hank is where my Headhunter experience ended.

So bad game or not, I'm really looking forward to what happens next.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Croccers posted:

The most annoying part about her not holding the gun with both hands is that her left hand isn't even helping her pose or look cool, it's just stiffly hanging here. :argh:

I can explain that. You see, the sequel was heavily influenced by Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

By which I mean they are nothing alike but are both terrible.

Why are there tollgates in the motorcycle interludes? And why aren't you going to LP that terrible sequel? I want to see the generic boss with the big gun square off against our generic wobbly-armed heroine.

Also, I laughed out loud when it turned out that you had to drive through a pointless motorcycle interlude to a VR simulation of a pointless motorcycle interlude.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

And why aren't you going to LP that terrible sequel?
Things like this are no longer in it

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe a game that ruined the Robocop lovely world ascetic went further down the needlessly grimdark road with a sequel that doesn't even have comically stupid news people nor the same five adverts. Its just a perfect little bush era diamond turd of a shooter.

Also I think I can envision the QA testing of the theoretical Redneck Rambo fight - we gave the player a lovely bazooka not five minutes ago. Either the bazooka sucks very much and it blows up on them or the level sucks and Hank could go down in five seconds as soon as you scroll over the right weapon. "Well its too much work to do anything different, just make it a goofy 4 button QTE!"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The RoboLP fits the game, in a way.

09. The final solution.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Obligatory X-Must is people!Ebola!

Since the game never explicitly explains it I'm going to assume that Sharpe died from the force of that pun. Clearly we've got one more fight again Adam, we've still got Chekov's Judgement Cannon to see. My only hope is that it is inexplicably Ramirez again and he says something like "I think it's time for my rear end to hunt you." (Because he's a naked 10 foot man, you see)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

After the end credits Headhunter shows you 4 (four) vital playthrough statistics. Make a guess which ones.
Also, I'm confused whether the game is ripping off RE or MGS harder in its final breaths.

10. Nanites.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

"I miss Hellforces."

Now that's a sentence I didn't think I'd hear. And oh my god that loving ending. That was actually really neat, what the hell?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They really liked their Stimulator pun, not that I blame them. It's pretty good. 2016 sucked but at least I finally know what happened at the end of Headhunter.

So I wonder, is "Xterminate, Xtinguish, Xtinct" X-Must's regular slogan or did Zeiwberg change it to that just to have one last creepy German laugh.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheMcD posted:

"I miss Hellforces."

Now that's a sentence I didn't think I'd hear.

Same here; I had a giggling fit.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

It came to me in the shower, but I think I know what they ripped off for the ending: Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

From using a TV ad as a trigger to a world-ending event, to the implication that just when the Good Guys Win, They Lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yep, Halloween 3. I thought the same thing.

I think ADAM being the final boss may have been more effective if he'd been Fulci. Like, if the mad scientist had been helping him, trying to make him super human because in his egotistical pursuit of power he wanted to rule the ACN and the Syndicate forever mwa ha ha~, and then the doctor sabotages him and makes him a puppet. "You vanted to rule the world, but now I rule you, and soon the vorld will be destroyed!"

• Locked thread