Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
that thing looks good, but then .. it runs windows? and not osx? what in the making GBS threads christ gently caress is microsoft thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

du -hast posted:

Wait the drives are regular SATA disk drives and not SSD?? WTF

hybrid drives are spinny with some SSD caching thing in them of a few GB

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

should have gone with a tb of nvme ssd - the thing is already 'kin expensive so just make it a bit more expensive.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

somewhere in an attic there's a picture of this thing turning into a Kin

:newlol:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

it has a virtual escape key

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm clicking it but nothing is happening

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this looks like it'd be awkward to use in practice. You'd have to move your keyboard and mouse out of the way first. And if you're not a scrub then those things are both wired. Then you'd have to scoot this giant awkwardly shaped thing to the front of the desk so you're not leaning way over to use it.

and after all that it turns on your lights when you push it down? that's weird.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

akadajet posted:

and after all that it turns on your lights when you push it down? that's weird.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Its actually him trying to push a button on the screen, but the screen is so sensitive to touch that it collapses at his fingertip.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The ad makes it seem motorized.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I tried out the giant touchscreen thing at the microsoft store and it was a bit laggy and there was more of a parallax effect than you get on a cintiq or ipads pro which is weird since it's so thin

pram
Jun 10, 2001
better luck next time microtards

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

I tried out the giant touchscreen thing at the microsoft store and it was a bit laggy and there was more of a parallax effect than you get on a cintiq or ipads pro which is weird since it's so thin

so it's a piece of poo poo

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

SPINNING PLATTERS

CONSUMER GEAR

what's wrong is that an ssd wouldn't help with the load times

ssds don't help with much unless you use them for enterprise applications

this would be an appropriate use for an ssd since they're for commercial/enterprise applications and not personal use

gosh it's almost as if the consumer ssd market is comprised of factory reject components that they've marketed to recoup losses

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

nothing has sped up my wintendo pc and macbook more than sticking a good ssd in them. Programs pop up instantly when you click on them. It's amazing!

whenever someone tells me they still keep the windows OS install and all the regular stuff like browsers on a spinning disk and just use the SSD to load world of warcraft one second faster I get violently ill

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Encrypted posted:

oh word?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Encrypted posted:

this would be an appropriate use for an ssd since they're for commercial/enterprise applications and not personal use

gosh it's almost as if the consumer ssd market is comprised of factory reject components that they've marketed to recoup losses

you forgot to sign out of your alt, stymie

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Sagebrush posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Encrypted posted:

OOPS

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

it's actually just all the words he said throughout several posts all c&p there

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I spent all my money on 32, 4GB SSD drives in a raid 0 configuration. Unfortunately I didn't have enough to buy a new motherboard and compatible CPU so I'm bottlenecked by an old sata interface.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Encrypted posted:

lol @ those who quote stymies about steve jobs in a microsoft thread, i guess that was the point

yospos bithc

Encrypted posted:

he's also using an iphone 4s on ios 5 even though the admin said otherwise

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i do use an iphone 4s with ios 5

i don't use it to read/post on the forums

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

akadajet posted:

so it's a piece of poo poo

actually, some guy from penny arcade says it is good :smaug::pipe:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
How will I :f5: ?

I mean I can do ctrl+r cmd-r but that means using two fingers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

thanks too those who responded just wondered because apple won't let you run 2 monitors off one thunderbolt hub for some reason (selling their own monitors)

this is not exactly apple's fault. tbolt is just kind of a dumb design. (i guess it's apple's fault for adopting tbolt.)

every intel thunderbolt chip has the modern equivalent of a RAMDAC built into it, the part of a graphics card that actually drives the display. graphics cards usually have four or more RAMDACs, but a thunderbolt chip has exactly one. which means you can drive a single monitor.

when you get a daisy-chain-able monitor with the extra tbolt port, the monitor itself has the RAMDAC in it, to drive a monitor further down the chain.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stick Insect posted:

How will I :f5: ?

I mean I can do ctrl+r cmd-r but that means using two fingers

You obviously write a safari plugin that sticks a big animated :f5: on your snazzy new touch bar

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is not exactly apple's fault. tbolt is just kind of a dumb design. (i guess it's apple's fault for adopting tbolt.)

every intel thunderbolt chip has the modern equivalent of a RAMDAC built into it, the part of a graphics card that actually drives the display. graphics cards usually have four or more RAMDACs, but a thunderbolt chip has exactly one. which means you can drive a single monitor.

when you get a daisy-chain-able monitor with the extra tbolt port, the monitor itself has the RAMDAC in it, to drive a monitor further down the chain.

RAMDAC is a cool sounding word

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i didn't realize this dumb macbook doesn't have kaby lake or the ability to add 32gb of ram

i guess intel's LP chips don't support DDR4 yet? the hell is going on with apple lately

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple:

https://imgur.com/U4Hm0B9.gifv

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Annual Gift Panda posted:

it has a virtual escape key

Wish I could virtually escape from your posts!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Citizen Tayne posted:

Wish I could virtually escape from your posts!

press ctrl + t and it will virtually open a new tab

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is teh worst. does this affect those external gpu thunderbolt things or do they just use teh gpu's ramdacs?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Blackula69 posted:

i didn't realize this dumb macbook doesn't have kaby lake or the ability to add 32gb of ram

i guess intel's LP chips don't support DDR4 yet? the hell is going on with apple lately

you may have heard? Steve Jobs died

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think all the crappy Apple hardware is actually a desperate attempt to raise Steve from the dead through sheer force of anger

We need him now more than ever

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

its 2016, nobody gives a poo poo about macs any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
gently caress yeah, can't wait to make this slide deck on a lovely tablet.

• Locked thread