Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
:getin: or :frogout:
This poll is closed.
:boom: 38 17.35%
yes 34 15.53%
no 18 8.22%
maybe 22 10.05%
paging pagancow 40 18.26%
all of the above 24 10.96%
:same: 43 19.63%
Total: 77 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
hi, eschaton here, let's do this

2015 was my first YOSMAS, I sent OSI Bean Dip some books, some knickknacks, a Lisp Machine on a Stick, and the keyboard used to write Spectre Supreme, and Siljmonster sent me some great loot and our two cats loved the boxes and packing material

I like old tech stuff and progressivism and new wave sci-fi (John Brunner et al) and booze and art and stuff for the cats, and despite being old tech stuff myself still live in the SF Bay Area

this year I already have something special to send another very specific goon, but I'm happy to do that separate from otherwise doing YOSMAS for whoever I win in the Secret Santa Lottery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

what kind of strange person doesn't like every surface of their living space covered in obsolete electronics

:same:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm in British Columbia. Last year, my Santa was eschaton and he sent me some real cool poo poo. The Motorola 68k book as well as the C++ for System 7 is being used for a CTF I am working on with a few people as we speak and the Intel Compute Stick is being used to play some emulated games. :)

awesome, I'm glad you're making good use of it!

is any of your System 7 hacking happening in the open? :)

are you running Basilisk II or MAME for Mac emulation on the Compute Stick too? a USB-ADB adapter and a mouse and you could have a super fast super small 68K Mac…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I must amend my post for this year: we have only one cat now, our sweet boy Simon passed away suddenly Thursday night :(

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ty

he was a good smart sweet boy and I miss him terribly every day

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Annual Gift Panda posted:

how's everyone's gifts coming along?

last year: tons of ideas

this year: holy poo poo I have no clue what to get

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

preferably arrival before 12/31/2016 11:59pm US/Pacific

otherwise there should be a darn good reason for shipping after christmas

shipping before December 15 doesn't necessarily guarantee arrival on or before December 31 when international shipping and customs are in play

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

what the hell is this??? it weighs a ton

aaag peanuts

oh god

IT'S A LAPPY 386

thanks eschaton!

thank you! I had it for many months, found it for cheap at Weird Stuff and immediately knew you needed to run your DOS graphics thing on it since it's basically a full desktop 386 with an LCD screen

and how about that massive lead acid battery? that thing was a contemporary of the Mac Portable after all

also sorry about the CMOS battery, I couldn't figure out how to get it open to replace, hopefully it's not a puddle of acid

supposedly it's actually got VGA, albeit on a horrible TSFN or whatever screen, once you get the SETUP.EXE for it off NEC's FTP site (it was still up as of when I got the system, I have a copy) you should be able to boot and run Windows 3 and do other things

I think it even has 2MB RAM, its HD is like 40MB, and within the last few weeks someone was even selling a new in box docking station for it on eBay if you want to add expansion cards...

anyway, hope you enjoy making it do poo poo!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

high-visibility (I haven't figured out how to boot it without the battery in so the VGA port is inaccessible)

worst case, there's this: NEC ProSpeed 386 Docking Station Expansion Unit

and you could put an Ethernet and bus mouse card in it too!

how's that keyboard feel?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

like this if u remember skull trumpet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

aww man it takes proprietary NEC ~memory cards~ that are impossible to find

find the pinout and make one, how hard could it be

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

eschaton
greenpos or amberpos?

choose wisely

greenpos

comedy option: macinyos

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rosoboronexport posted:

Christmas came early!

Thanks Eschaton, this was a good timing and I'm going to gorge on these this weekend!

thought you'd enjoy them! a little amuse for your bouche as a French trucker might say...

the rest of your gift, well, you'll see.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

there hasn't been a scrub-tier gift yet so i have my hopes up

I feel like the first part of my gift to Rosoboronexport was scrub

hope to make up for it somewhat with the rest

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

who else sent a yostop

I sent Luigi Thirty an NEC ProSpeed/386 that is approximately as "top" as the original Mac Portable (and, like it, used a lead acid battery)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

there's a pinout here if you want to make your own

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

The toilet lid iBook can do 8.6 at least, but i really want a System 7 mac in the household

that could be arranged

where are you located?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:siren: eschaton :siren:
your santee hosed up (shame!!) and your gift has been delayed but a lil something something is on the way to hold you over

your santa feels bad and is a swell guy and loves you very much

I just got what I think is the lil sumpin and it's sweet! pics soon

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

eschaton posted:

I just got what I think is the lil sumpin and it's sweet! pics soon

so on or about the 23rd I got a lil sumpin, I've was busy and then sick so I didn't get around to unboxing it

what's in the box, besides an envelope?

oh shiiiii

iiiiiit

thanks! despite being such a fanboy that I've worked at the sausage factory for ages, I've never actually had anything signed by Woz, even an Apple ][gs, so this is quite cool

plus I could use it with a ][gs if when I get one, which is doubly cool, thanks Santa!

bonus: new additions Bean (foreground) and Froggey (leaving frame) were momentarily intrigued by the packaging

however, being just shy of six months old, it didn't hold their interest for long

D'Anna, acting the matriarch, just sat back and let the kittens check it out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Those Intel compute sticks own as I got one last year. Right now it is dormant because I got a new TV (60" 4K :toot:) and I need to redo things.

it's a lisp machine tho you should be using your USER AIDS

with an NNTP gateway for the forums you could even make it a posting station

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rosoboronexport, pick up your package!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rosoboronexport posted:

I will tomorrow, couldn't make it in time this evening.

My package was also picked up from the post office yesterday evening :woop:

does this mean you already have your package? because that's the only piece, there's not also mail. :)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rosoboronexport posted:

I got a package!

Sidenote: when we got back home from post one of our cats had dug up the bag we keep dee eights catnip and had a pretty good friday night.

A gift bag from the promised shop! Maybe it has the cheap Macbook..

Oh it's a Macstick! This is the original 1st gen PC stick, I have a tablet/laptop with similar specs.

I tried to do an ouroboros by powering the stick through the charging connector on my dell display and connecting keyboard/mouse through displays USB hub but the display doesn't power up that USB port before it is connected to running PC.

I got it booted up so of course the first thing you do when using Windows 8.1 with Bing! is

Install Windows 10 on it.

So while that's going on let's dive in on the other gifts! A note was left on the bottom of the box.

Thanks eschaton! Perkele to you too :) There actually was some Apple product in the bag:

It fits nicely.

A 3M mousing surface to improve my gaming

My current gaming mousepad has seen better days.

Master Guardian II here I come!

Everything so far has been addressed to me, now something for the other family

It was well appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftUMW9xXRSA

This was a nice haul. The compute stick was a nice surprise, luckily it did not stop in the customs.

The 1st gen is needs-suiting especially if you have early netbook experience. The only thing it lacks is any 4K support.

The floor is yours, suffix :)

glad you and the rest of the family enjoyed it all!

we call the toy you show in the video the "fishbird," which cats that like fliers seem to go nuts for. meanwhile we actually need to stop using the mouselike one with one of our kittens, since he grabs it hard, tries to drag it to his den, and growls at us any time we try to pull it back to play with more. "my prey!"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

wanna pet that 'pod

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rosoboronexport posted:

And that took way much more time than it was supposed. There were many puzzles in this yosbox. First the direct upgrade path failed, then installation from ISO did not work until BIOS was updated and the chosen installation media (microSD card) had to be inserted on a USB card reader instead of the handy microsd card reader on the compute stick.
But on the other hand, Windows 10 is still free ityool 2017.

I had honestly considered putting Haiku on the Compute Stick so it'd be a properly weird poasting station but Haiku's UEFI is really too new for me to want to mess with, and when I first tried on the stick I sent OSI Bean Dip last year it didn't really work so I just restored Ubuntu and then installed my tweaked build of Meroko

you should totally give Haiku a try on the stick or a netbook though, its WebKit based browser is even sufficient for reading the forums and it'll absolutely fly, and you can try it from a live USB stick or SD card

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so awesome

is the hard drive scsi? or something else?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

The drive is a Miniscribe RLL drive (the non-XP models were MFM); the interface is SCSI. Your best bet, barring a newer Mac with Ethernet (though I have a few in storage that'd work for that at some point) is a bunch of floppy disks; a SCSI2SD would probably work fine too, but they're more expensive than floppies.

you could also use a FloppyEmu instead of a SCSI2SD, on the one hand it's Mac-specific and just as spends, but on the other hand you'd just keep it with your Mac Plus anyway, right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

i miss my old alphastation

I want an alphastation on which to run the official OpenGenera, rather than the x86_64 hacked version

r u ready to WALK posted:

I feel really bad about throwing out the sparcstation at work now

I wonder if we still have the hpux workstation in the attic

visit it now and ensure there's no onboard battery leaking everywhere

also check for electrolyte leakage from caps

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you probably can but it wouldn't surprise me if the O2 actually mounted the HFS partition

how about a mini Bay Area meet-up?

I can bring a PowerBook or two with SCSI, a SCSI Zip drive, and a USB Zip drive, all of which I know to work well

we can copy the content off the drive (probably no need to image, we could use MPW to do the copy though to make sure we get any invisible files) and get the content onto something shareable

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 11, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

welp and here I thought that I was gifting the oldest mac in this thread

there's a 56k modem in it already fwiw, but it'd be fantastic if you could get that connected via SCSI to ethernet by daisy-chaining it off of the CD drive lol

(also p.s. if you look around on the hard drive you might find some, uh, nice pictures of your own as well)

I think the CD-ROM drive in the PowerBook 5300CE is IDE, not SCSI

not sure at the moment and don’t want to take the time to look it up

the 5300CE does still have a SCSI port, of course

the SCSI to Ethernet boxes got really scarce and expensive about a decade ago and haven’t gotten any easier to find, unfortunately

your better bet is to just use PPP to a RPi or something

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh yeah, internal CD didn't happen until what, the 1400?

I was there then too, and have a disassembled PB 190cs sitting in my home office...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Hell yes, PM sent.

so we settled on Red Rock Café in downtown Mountain View at 2 on Saturday the 14th

look for the nerds with old computers sitting near an outlet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

drat that's in nice shape

my PowerBook 520c and PowerBook Duo 280c are close to that, but the 520c's screen was never nearly that nice even new (the 280c's screen is baller of course)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I absolutely used to use Bold Italic Underline Outline Shadow style on everything when I was a childe too.

when I first started using the Mac I doubled the font and page sizes and printed at 50% to get crisp 144dpi text on my ImageWriter II, I didn't realize at first that QuickDraw would take care of that for me

then TrueType came out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I would say it's kind of weird to bring a bunch of old computers to a café, but this is mountain view after all...

also they're all portables right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

project YOSMAC is go

anyone around Mountain View is welcome to try to cram themselves into Red Rock while Optimus_Rhyme (major and minor) and I are here if you want to ogle

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

We we're by far the biggest nerds in a mountain view hipster coffee shop. Pictures from the mini-yosmeet

Also, my kid liked playing with it, same with the wife and I. Although, my son played for a bit then told me to type 'nick jr' in.

For those interested, thanks to Eschaton for helping me out, here's a copy of the drive:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f6niopgs2grh67/SamanthaFox.iso?dl=0

I'll probably put together a Sheepshaver or Basilisk image of the drive.

Mini vMac! Mount the ISO in macOS, dd its primary partition to another file, that file can then be mounted directly in Mini vMac.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

supposedly mini vMac has some sort of support for SCSI disk images, but I’ve never been able to get it to mount one without turning it into a raw partition

MAME on the other hand demands a full SCSI partition image and also insists it be converted to its own format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

probably a good idea to start a new thread for the yosmas gift puzzles

also the yosmas yosmac

• Locked thread