Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Trig Discipline posted:

same as gently caress

i had budgeted up to $5k ozzie dollaroos but i'm not going to loving spend that for something that has almost the same specs as my roided out 2011 mbp. eat a bag of gently caress, apple

yeah it sucks. real hard. thanks tim, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

apples been dead its just now its so obvious even the faithful are beginning to question it

even macrumors is melting down. lmao

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
o well guess ill spend 3000 imperial british funbux on a 15"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i just want a mac that i can connect to a 4K dell monitor for my home office, i never "compute on the go" because i have no friends and never leave home

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Trig Discipline posted:

windows 10 is loving terrible what is wrong with you people

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

tbf i would use windows 10 over os x even if i didn't play games or use windows-exclusive software. i don't see any selling points for os x

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

actually its great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

tbf i would use windows 10 over os x even if i didn't play games or use windows-exclusive software. i don't see any selling points for os x

its linux so smelly people like it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
will one of these new fancy microsoft computers run windows 7? thats the only one i really like

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sure lots of laptop vendors are selling new machines deliberately downgraded (their word) to win7, it's nbd

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

have you ever used it for a significant period of time

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
all of these operating systems do the same thing. if you try to look for selling points you wont see any because they're practically identical.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yes because everything you do in osx takes a significant period of time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i have to use windows 10 for some image segmentation software and every time i do it feels like i'm time traveling back to when computers were garbage and people were stupid

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i believe what i am saying, shaggar, is that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
loving lol at those uk prices

The cheapest option, base 13 inch, costs £1500

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

will one of these new fancy microsoft computers run windows 7? thats the only one i really like
sadly yes, cpu exclusivity is not kicking in until kaby lake. windows 7 needs to die, it is objectively worse than 10

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Valeyard posted:

loving lol at those uk prices

The cheapest option, base 13 inch, costs £1500

$2200 CAD for entry level

it's absurd

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

"oh no I can't get 32 gigabytes of ram" - people who use vim and irc all day

you need more ram to run more vms to run more instances of vim and irc all day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

i have to use windows 10 for some image segmentation software and every time i do it feels like i'm time traveling back to when computers were garbage and people were stupid

its actually really good and way way better than osx which is garbage slow linux

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

use? no. janitor? yes, parents have an imac, which is the first and last computer that managed to gently caress up so hard in casual use that i couldn't save it, and that had to be brought thrice into the apple dealer service centre until they figured out that when it first poo poo the bed, it synced corrupted disk sectors to time capsule, so, when brought home, it would keep killing itself on resync

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i do not need more than 16gb of ram but 256gb of hd space is a big gently caress you

i dont care though, that's why I have an apple tim capsule

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

use? no. janitor? yes, parents have an imac, which is the first and last computer that managed to gently caress up so hard in casual use that i couldn't save it, and that had to be brought thrice into the apple dealer service centre until they figured out that when it first poo poo the bed, it synced corrupted disk sectors to time capsule, so, when brought home, it would keep killing itself on resync

yeah you have to actually be good at it in order to understand the difference

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i use all 3 operating systems heavily and osx is the best from a usability perspective by far, although windows is catching up a lot

linux is awful

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
programming in emacs in osx on a retina display is a beautiful experience.

once helm gets hooked into the touch bar, LOOK OUT FOLKS

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i do not need more than 16gb of ram but 256gb of hd space is a big gently caress you

i dont care though, that's why I have an apple tim capsule

well good news because you can upgrade to 2TB for only twelve hundred dollahahahahaha gently caress

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Trig Discipline posted:

well good news because you can upgrade to 2TB for only twelve hundred dollahahahahaha gently caress

not on the 13", at least I wasn't presented with any options and there werent any when I bought mine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

but now you're missing the e, making it just... macs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah you have to actually be good at it in order to understand the difference
:pusheen: my bad i did expect a $500 device to do more than a take/restore disk image over lan

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol yeah lets listen to voluntary emacs user about usability

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

720p FaceTime HD camera

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sadly yes, cpu exclusivity is not kicking in until kaby lake. windows 7 needs to die, it is objectively worse than 10

Nah

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:pusheen: my bad i did expect a $500 device to do more than a take/restore disk image over lan

sorry i hope you know i'm just being a dick because it's fun in the context of this thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sorry i hope you know i'm just being a dick because it's fun in the context of this thread
yeah i know, im letting you know that your technique is very effective :v:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Windows 10 is good, if you think 7 is better you are autistic or haven't used 10. Fact

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i mean with this sort of thread that's basically the entire point right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

windows 10 is better in just about every way. tbh I cant think of anything windows 7 does better.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
10 rtm was a little flaky w/ some things but ever since the anniversary update its just so good.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

windows 10 is better in just about every way. tbh I cant think of anything windows 7 does better.

singles out idiots who cant understand why windows 10 owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

being windows xp counts i guess? there're still people holding on to windows xp, as i recently discovered

• Locked thread